collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199277 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2019, 12:12:41 PM »
I saw that featured on some TV show.  Seems like a nostalgic waste of money to me.

Been quite open that they're looking to attract plane nerds with cash to burn.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »
Been quite open that they're looking to attract plane nerds with cash to burn.

All 100 of 'em, huh?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
It just shows me how time flies.  I remember flying TWA when our kids were young and changing planes in SLU on the way to Tampa.

I flew Ozark from Nashville to St. Louis and then to Milwaukee back from Christmas and Spring Break in the 1970s. When my Dad did not all but toss me onto the Amtrak that ran through town at the time.

Or, as it was known at the time, "Nozark"

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2019, 01:30:50 AM »
JFK Airport just opened the TWA Hotel in the old Eero Saarinen designed TWA Terminal.  It is TWA themed.

What a great memory for me. On a return from Spain in the late 70s I sat in that terminal for many hours enjoying the parade of landings out the window of that  incredible view ...what a great design!!!

I have kind of stupid/silly memory of TWA.  It had posters up all over Madrid promoting TWA flights to the USA. The photo was of a very pretty Stewardess...with the caption !Venga, Vuele Conmigo! ....this was the ad agency loosely translating TWAs "Come fly with me" ad slogan.

The girl in the photo, however,... also had a prominent name tag that said JODI .....Spaniards loved and laughed at the inadvertent double meaning which jumped out at them....ya seeee

Joder is the castillian spanish verb for "to f#ck" ....Jodi is the personal past tense ..... yo Jodi means ...I F#cked!!!......SO....

...This TWA poster and her name tag accidentally said to Madrid locals....Come fly with me and ( BTW, by this tag...JODI) I f#ck!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:45:29 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2019, 07:28:37 AM »
Ah, da origin of da mile hi club. Eye sea, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #255 on: July 29, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
I saw that featured on some TV show.  Seems like a nostalgic waste of money to me.

Reviews for it have actually been very good.  Bit pricey for an airport hotel, but the dining is supposedly fantastic and it was a pool/pool bar overlooking the airport and its runways.  There is some nostalgia and the cocktail bar in the old TWA plane is a bit corny, but its not a dumpy Disney style tourist trap.  What else should they have done with an iconic historical building?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »
Just got back from 2+ weeks in the Pacific Northwest -- 5 nights in Bend, 2 nights in Redwoods Natl Park area, 5 nights along Oregon coast, 4 nights in Seattle.

Had a great time at every stop, saw and did a lot of interesting, fun things. Stayed at airbnbs our first four stays. Our first time ever doing the airbnb thing -- each very different, each with positives (mostly) and negatives.

Loved Bend; could definitely live there. Enjoyed it all, though. Time with family, friends, Mrs. 82, some incredible scenery, lots of outdoorsy stuff, more than a little beer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2019, 10:39:51 PM »
Just got back from 2+ weeks in the Pacific Northwest -- 5 nights in Bend, 2 nights in Redwoods Natl Park area, 5 nights along Oregon coast, 4 nights in Seattle.

Had a great time at every stop, saw and did a lot of interesting, fun things. Stayed at airbnbs our first four stays. Our first time ever doing the airbnb thing -- each very different, each with positives (mostly) and negatives.

Loved Bend; could definitely live there. Enjoyed it all, though. Time with family, friends, Mrs. 82, some incredible scenery, lots of outdoorsy stuff, more than a little beer.

Any conifer ale summits with Crash to report on?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2019, 09:35:19 AM »
Any conifer ale summits with Crash to report on?

Not this time. We have met in the past and solved most of the world's problems.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #259 on: July 31, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »
Not this time. We have met in the past and solved most of the world's problems.

Apparently we are still waiting on implementation.   ::)
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »
Apparently we are still waiting on implementation.   ::)

I know ... It's hard to believe the House and Senate didn't agree that Hazy Mosaic IPAs For All would be a game-changer.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #261 on: August 01, 2019, 12:42:49 AM »
Love Seattle, haven’t been here in about 5 years. Sea-Tac great airport...except for the continued brutally bad rental car transportation. I’m here at 11pm and rental car bus line is 150 people deep. Bad, bad, bad.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #262 on: August 01, 2019, 01:19:22 AM »
Love Seattle, haven’t been here in about 5 years. Sea-Tac great airport...except for the continued brutally bad rental car transportation. I’m here at 11pm and rental car bus line is 150 people deep. Bad, bad, bad.

Not a fan. What do you love? I have friends who travel there on business and love it. I have friends who live there a long and love it in doses but need to get out of there every other weekend.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #263 on: August 01, 2019, 06:59:19 AM »
Not a fan. What do you love? I have friends who travel there on business and love it. I have friends who live there a long and love it in doses but need to get out of there every other weekend.

Glow Jr. is living there now. He loves it, especially because he is a skier and hiker, but doesn't love the cost of living there. He doesn't have one of those super highly paid tech jobs. I am not sure he intends to be there long term.

Fortunately, he has the type of job where it is relatively easy to transfer to another office in just about any region in the country.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
He should ring up keefe. Certain heel bee happy ta show him'round, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2019, 08:18:27 AM »
He should ring up keefe. Certain heel bee happy ta show him'round, hey?

Glow jr. reads Scoop.  He knows how to get ahold of Keefe if he is so inclined.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »
Glow Jr. is living there now. He loves it, especially because he is a skier and hiker, but doesn't love the cost of living there. He doesn't have one of those super highly paid tech jobs. I am not sure he intends to be there long term.

Fortunately, he has the type of job where it is relatively easy to transfer to another office in just about any region in the country.

My daughter and her husband live there. They love Seattle and it's hard to imagine them leaving. They both have pretty good jobs, though. You certainly are right about it being expensive.

My son lives in Chicago, so both kids live in high-priced places.

Kids ... whattayagonna do?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »
Glow jr. reads Scoop.  He knows how to get ahold of Keefe if he is so inclined.

So safe bet Keefe's inbox ain't filling up anytime soon?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »

I almost moved there to work for Amazon about 5 years ago and in my current job, get there about twice a year.  As a Midwest lifer across 3-4 states in the region, I LOVE the geographic diversity. You have the ocean/bay but also mountains right behind you.  For all the talk of gloomy weather, I'm just fine with the milder winter, and Ive been there multiple times during summer months where it is perfect.

There is also just kind of a different vibe to it.  Lots has changed with the tech invasion and expansion, but my Dad has been traveling there since the late 80s and said there is still a uniqueness to Seattle that hasn't changed.

Cons: Its become and continues to be wildly expensive. And the Northwest Freeze.  Even my friend who lives there that showed me around during my interview visit warned me I'd likely be mostly hanging with "ex pats" cause PNW lifers weren't super keen on outsiders.  They are nice, but it wouldn't move much past surface level.

And Keefe is a fantastic source for recos.  For all the varied opinions of him here, he's generous and very helpful when it comes to Seattle.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
I can understand the NW freeze JWags.  Outsiders have overwhelmed the city and that has assuredly changed the culture somewhat.  And we're not even talking about what it has done to the affordability factor.

It's funny.  For decades I lamented that Milwaukee was unbelievably insular because ZERO new blood ever arrived.  That's changed in the last decade or so and I personally believe it has dramatically enhanced the city.  A little new blood is great for a city.  Too much, maybe not so much.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
Just spent a week in Cooperstown at the Cooperstown dream park.    I was one of the coaches for my son's team and as such got to spend a week in an un-airconditioned barrack with a dozen smelly 12 year olds.    However, if you ever have an opportunity to go watch one of their tournaments, do so.    13 weeks, a different set of 104 teams every week.     All U-12 teams.     Fascinating to see the difference in sizes among 12 and young 13 year olds.    Shortest around 4'4, the tallest 6'4.    If you have children or grandchildren who play travel baseball and they get the chance to go, spend the money for them to do it and then go with them.    You will not regret it. 

edit:    Clearly, my typing skills have atrophied.     An embarrassing amount of typos. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:47:11 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
Just spent a week in Cooperstown at the Cooperstown dream park.    I was one of the coaches for my son's team and as such got to spend a week in an un-airconditioned barrack with a dozen smelly 12 year olds.    However, if you ever have an opportunity to go watch one of their tournaments, do so.    13 weeks, a different set of 104 teams every weeks.     All U-12 teams.     Fascinating to see the difference in sizes among 12 and yound 12 year olds.    Shortest around 4'4, the tallest 6'4.    If you have children or grandchildren who play travel baseball and they get the chance to go, spend the money for them to do it and then go with them.    You will not regret it.

I umpired there for a week in mid-June. First time for me. I shared a barracks with smelly old guys ... but at least it was an unseasonably cool week temp-wise. We had one day that was just about lost to rain, but otherwise weather was nice. The top 20 teams or so were very, very good but there also was some bad baseball -- teams that were just there for the experience, which I certainly can see why.

It was fun to make friends with umps from all over the country, and the kids were almost all great. A few coaches and parents were jags, but that happens anywhere at any level. I probably would do it again if they ask.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2019, 12:57:26 PM »
I talked to an ump who will spend all 13 weeks there and is currently working on a streak of 100 straight weeks.    Talk about not having a life.   I saw mostly good baseball.   However, the big kids who can launch are in a category by themselves.   300' homers on 200' fences.     I never met a jerk on the sidewalks between games.     Yes, during games, some of the participants, coaches, fans get intense.    But in the down time, I came in contact with only one person who really ticked me off, and that was a mom with a two pack a day voice berating the service staff for the amount of chips in her nachos and the lack of lids for her soft drink.     The coaches had great talks about the 12 year old thought process and hygiene practices and lack thereof.  It is apparently universal.

And good for you for working one.    I am glad you enjoyed it.  (For the most part)

I had a team that was there mostly for the experience.    1-6, but only one blowout.    An extra inning loss, 2 one run losses, 2 two run losses, and a 9-2 loss in the elimination round that was 3-2 in the 4th.   One sloppy inning later and pfffft.   Our hitters didn't hit enough for the week.   But it was a hoot. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2019, 01:17:51 PM »
Glow jr. reads Scoop.

I thought you would have raised him better than that!  ;D

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #274 on: August 03, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »
I thought you would have raised him better than that!  ;D

Yeah, he is an adult now.  We have to let him make his own decisions.
Have some patience, FFS.