collapse

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198876 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »

Keep in mind... you're not paying a premium for Polaris. You're paying the premium to not be in coach.

NO. Many of us are paying for Polaris. We’re paying for a level of service appropriate to an international flight of eight to 10 hours.

Brother Gyros, I also took a walk back into United Premium Economy (also known as “Coach with more leg room). It’s on international flights and is distinguished from Economy Plus by eight across seating (current United 777-200 protocol is a cramped 10 across in standard economy) and about 34-36 inches of seat pitch. I actually think that looks like a great deal given the comparative cramped position of United Polaris.

It seems like United just can’t shed the bean counters attitude toward its most loyal customers.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
Has anyone flown in "real" United Polaris  in recent months. Being a United UDP ("Unprofitable Domestic Passenger"), I never see "real" Polaris, so when I booked a flight to Paris last month for last week, I was really intrigued.

I was incredibly disappointed. In fact, I had trouble fathoming the big deal about Polaris. The product is marginally better than United's non-Polaris equipped planes and the service, candidly, is typically United -- spotty to indifferent where the flight attendants are "there" but seem generally disinterested in going the extra mile, or even doing their job.

Full disclosure: the service on the return flight has been exponentially better than on the outbound. The pulsar is the same hard worker but the rest of the flight attendants on this trip are outstanding. United needs to bottle and sell this service quality. The seats are still indifferent, though.

The Polaris Lounge in Chicago is great, but the lounges are only in Chicago, Houston, San Francisco and Newark. Pity the poor sucker that flies through, say, Dulles (America's worst hub) or Los Angeles.

The five-across seats solve the problem of crawling across your neighbor, but trying to sleep is like trying to sleep in an MRI tube -- or a coffin. The area around the seat where you place your head is inadequately wide for the human shoulder -- an ergonomic sacrifice on the altar of efficiency. It's easier to move in an MRI tube than it is to move in  one of these seats. And getting in and out, well, yuck.

I'll admit it's better than the eight-across coach masquerading as first class in the 777-200s. But damn,  if your competition is the foreign airlines, I suspect United has a long way to go. I suspect this makes their premium economy product  attractive.

Am I too harsh????????   

What route did you fly?  ORD to CDG?  They don't have any routes with the new Polaris seating out of Chicago yet, save for random unplanned planes that get moved around.  Not sure what you mean by 5 across?  The new layout is 1-2-1 and every seat has aisle access.

As someone has flown the majority of my 1K business class upgrades on the terrible 777-200s, its a HUGE upgrade.  They finally started flying it on the EWR to BOM routes, so I finally flew it in Jan, and then again on a HKG to EWR flight in March.  I had no issues with the new seat and love the privacy/direct aisle access.  I have no clue what you expect if 4 across business is "cramped". Literally no other airline has less.

United can't compete with the foreign carriers, name the Asian and Middle Eastern, but their seats have been reviewed very favorably across the internet.  Service is spotty, I agree.  You'll have great FAs and some that don't care, its not consistent.  But the bedding/pillows are fantastic.  The new seats are a huge improvement.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
What route did you fly?  ORD to CDG?  They don't have any routes with the new Polaris seating out of Chicago yet, save for random unplanned planes that get moved around.  Not sure what you mean by 5 across?  The new layout is 1-2-1 and every seat has aisle access.

As someone has flown the majority of my 1K business class upgrades on the terrible 777-200s, its a HUGE upgrade.  They finally started flying it on the EWR to BOM routes, so I finally flew it in Jan, and then again on a HKG to EWR flight in March.  I had no issues with the new seat and love the privacy/direct aisle access.  I have no clue what you expect if 4 across business is "cramped". Literally no other airline has less.

United can't compete with the foreign carriers, name the Asian and Middle Eastern, but their seats have been reviewed very favorably across the internet.  Service is spotty, I agree.  You'll have great FAs and some that don't care, its not consistent.  But the bedding/pillows are fantastic.  The new seats are a huge improvement.

Brother Wags:

IAD-CDG.

My son and I flew to France to celebrate his 21st birthday. We had “real” Polaris on the 5:25 p.m., CDG Departure and again on the 12:25 p.m., IAD departure today. I don’t disagree that the Polaris is a huge upgrade from the 777-200 Business cattle cars, which probably should be called Waygu Class. And, you are right — my oversight on the 4 across. I’m just not a big fan of sleeping/resting in a coffin or an MRI tube. Neither engender warmth!

I have compared it to United International First, which I’ve flown quite a few times to Europe (most recently 1.5 years ago to LHR). Not even close! The amenities on Global First, which is a thing of the past not just with United but with many other European and Asian airlines, were far superior to what we experienced in Polaris.

Given the hype with which United rolled Polaris out, it’s a dud.

Full disclosure: I’m sitting on United 914 4A from CDG to IAD as I write this.

P.S. — The SFA amenities were an improvement, to the extent we received them, but I suspect there are more than what we received. Something about limited quantities. If United can’t have enough of what they offer for each passenger, then, well, yikes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:48:13 AM by dgies9156 »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
Traveling to Spain/Portugal in September. Barcelona, Sevilla, Lisbon, Porto. Four days in each city. Any recommendations?

I’d add a. Day to Barcelona and take one away from Sevilla.
There are some great beer bars in Barcelona. Will get you a list if interested.

Take tuk-tuk tour in Lisbon. Great way to see the city. Do it on the first day. Eat in the a Time Out market. Eat peri peri chicken.  Go to Belen. And Sinatra. Make a day of it.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2019, 06:18:55 PM »
When my first daughter turned 10, I took her to Washington DC.  I really just wanted to see the Cubs play the Nats, but it turned into a birthday present and, I guess, a tradition I will now do with the other kids.

On June 9 I'm taking my 10 year-old daughter to New York to see a Harry Potter play on Broadway.  We're staying in Times Square and flying into LaGuardia.  Does anyone have a good recommendation for getting to the airport to our hotel?

(I'm not trying to start another debate), but I should probably mention I don't have a unnatural carnal knowledgeing smartphone.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:20:42 PM by WI inferiority Complexes »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2019, 06:22:04 PM »
Taxi. No other good way without Uber or lyft.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2019, 07:22:12 PM »
When my first daughter turned 10, I took her to Washington DC.  I really just wanted to see the Cubs play the Nats, but it turned into a birthday present and, I guess, a tradition I will now do with the other kids.

On June 9 I'm taking my 10 year-old daughter to New York to see a Harry Potter play on Broadway.  We're staying in Times Square and flying into LaGuardia.  Does anyone have a good recommendation for getting to the airport to our hotel?

(I'm not trying to start another debate), but I should probably mention I don't have a unnatural carnal knowledgeing smartphone.

Take da furst horse and buggy ya cee, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2019, 07:54:45 PM »

Its hard to tell because LGA seems to change week to week because of construction but I arrived there a couple weeks ago and found their Uber set-up to be excellent.  They have an Uber "lounge" in the arrival area with a couple helpful employees to help you know where to go to find the cars but it's also well signed.  You book your car and actually walk into the parking garage into a designated ride share pickup area.  Once your car confirms you text back to the driver and tell them what pillar you are standing at (4F, 4E, etc.) and the car pulls up to where you are standing.  Pretty easy.

There are bus links to manhattan from LGA if you really want to do it on the cheap, but the Uber thing is so easy I wouldn't try anything else.

On ground level there is a queue for smelly yellow taxi for those who are not smartphone enabled. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
I was at LGA last week, taxi is really your only option without Uber/Lyft.

I’m actually fighting with the Renaissance in Midtown right now over their valet service to the airport that was supposed to be $54, and then my credit card got dinged at $85.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
I’d add a. Day to Barcelona and take one away from Sevilla.
There are some great beer bars in Barcelona. Will get you a list if interested.

Take tuk-tuk tour in Lisbon. Great way to see the city. Do it on the first day. Eat in the a Time Out market. Eat peri peri chicken.  Go to Belen. And Sinatra. Make a day of it.

Would love a list. Thanks for the suggestions!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2019, 09:25:00 PM »
Traveling to Spain/Portugal in September. Barcelona, Sevilla, Lisbon, Porto. Four days in each city. Any recommendations?

Sagrada Familia (in Barcelona). For me, I think really the most beautiful man made structure I have ever seen.  Spend the time to go inside.  The outside is cool as heck, but the inside, with all the stained glass, lights up like crazy.  Red, yellow and orange on one side, and blues and greens on the other.  It is immensely beautiful.   You can also go up to the top and have great views of the city.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2019, 10:37:37 PM »
Would love a list. Thanks for the suggestions!

When do you go?

Barcelona

Bars:
Red Fish Barcelona - great beach bar - https://www.facebook.com/redfishbarcelona
Biercab - Beers from around the world - https://www.facebook.com/biercab
Garage Beer Co - Local microbrew, they did a collaboration with our local brewery - https://www.facebook.com/Garage-Beer-Co-228690754358087
Kælderkold - great beer selection in the Gothic quarter - https://www.instagram.com/olgodcraftbeer/
Cocovail - https://www.facebook.com/cocovailbeerhall

Tapa Tapa Maremagnum - touristy, but a great location on the marina if you can get an outdoor seat. good cheap tapas and wine. https://www.facebook.com/Tapatapabar-306968553174204/

Lisbon:

Bars:
Crafty Corner - good local beers, good wings - https://www.craftycornerbeer.com/
Castro Beer - https://www.craftycornerbeer.com/

Walk along the river, ton of little outdoor stands. Go to the main square on the water, hang a right, start walking. Sit, have a drink, watch the world go by.
Stop at any hole in the wall that has Ginja, a cherry liquor that is a tradition. Have a shot.

Food:
Time Out Market (good local beers too): https://www.timeoutmarket.com/lisboa/
Piri Piri Chicken - It is just grill chicken with piri piri sauce, a national favorite
Two places that had good ones:
Piri Piri - R. do Arco do Marquês de Alegrete 9, 1100-034 Lisboa
Bonjardim - a bit more touristy, but good - Tv. de Santo Antão 12, 1150-265 Lisboa

Get out to Belem and see the Belem Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries. Go to the top of both.
As I said, do a tuk tuk tour when you get there, gives you a great overview of the very hilly city. We used these guys, but there are a ton out there - https://www.lisbon-tuk-tours.com/tuktukbestsellers

Sintra is cool if you have the time.  Could be combined with Belem

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2019, 10:41:10 PM »
Oh, and in Sevilla, find a park, square, plaza where there is a stand that sells fresh squeezed orange juice, sit and have a glass and watch the world go by. You will never be happy with store bought OJ again. And have a second glass and ask them to add vodka. Repeat.

Looking back at my posts, I think I may have a drinking problem.  ;D

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2019, 06:58:05 AM »

LGA is a mess right now with the major construction.  As suggested taxi or Uber are really the only choices.  (JFK has a train option.). Just allow yourself a few extra minutes getting to LGA. 
I fly out of there frequently.  2 weeks ago I forgot to reserve the parking for Terminal D and had to park in B and it added 30-40 getting in & out of the terminal waiting for shuttle busses then going around the LGA loop.  Thank goodness for Pre-Check and Silver Medallion status.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2019, 07:41:57 AM »
Oh, and in Sevilla, find a park, square, plaza where there is a stand that sells fresh squeezed orange juice, sit and have a glass and watch the world go by. You will never be happy with store bought OJ again. And have a second glass and ask them to add vodka. Repeat.

Looking back at my posts, I think I may have a drinking problem.  ;D

I can confirm.
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2019, 10:53:14 AM »

I can confirm.

Thanks for confirming that my Sevilla suggestion was a good one.  ;)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
When do you go?

Barcelona

Bars:
Red Fish Barcelona - great beach bar - https://www.facebook.com/redfishbarcelona
Biercab - Beers from around the world - https://www.facebook.com/biercab
Garage Beer Co - Local microbrew, they did a collaboration with our local brewery - https://www.facebook.com/Garage-Beer-Co-228690754358087
Kælderkold - great beer selection in the Gothic quarter - https://www.instagram.com/olgodcraftbeer/
Cocovail - https://www.facebook.com/cocovailbeerhall

Tapa Tapa Maremagnum - touristy, but a great location on the marina if you can get an outdoor seat. good cheap tapas and wine. https://www.facebook.com/Tapatapabar-306968553174204/

Lisbon:

Bars:
Crafty Corner - good local beers, good wings - https://www.craftycornerbeer.com/
Castro Beer - https://www.craftycornerbeer.com/

Walk along the river, ton of little outdoor stands. Go to the main square on the water, hang a right, start walking. Sit, have a drink, watch the world go by.
Stop at any hole in the wall that has Ginja, a cherry liquor that is a tradition. Have a shot.

Food:
Time Out Market (good local beers too): https://www.timeoutmarket.com/lisboa/
Piri Piri Chicken - It is just grill chicken with piri piri sauce, a national favorite
Two places that had good ones:
Piri Piri - R. do Arco do Marquês de Alegrete 9, 1100-034 Lisboa
Bonjardim - a bit more touristy, but good - Tv. de Santo Antão 12, 1150-265 Lisboa

Get out to Belem and see the Belem Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries. Go to the top of both.
As I said, do a tuk tuk tour when you get there, gives you a great overview of the very hilly city. We used these guys, but there are a ton out there - https://www.lisbon-tuk-tours.com/tuktukbestsellers

Sintra is cool if you have the time.  Could be combined with Belem

Sincere thank you for all the suggestions. We'll make sure to check some (or all) of these places out in each city. We're already planning on Sintra and Belem.

We go the first few weeks of September.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2019, 02:50:49 PM »
LGA is a mess right now with the major construction.  As suggested taxi or Uber are really the only choices.  (JFK has a train option.). Just allow yourself a few extra minutes getting to LGA. 
I fly out of there frequently.  2 weeks ago I forgot to reserve the parking for Terminal D and had to park in B and it added 30-40 getting in & out of the terminal waiting for shuttle busses then going around the LGA loop.  Thank goodness for Pre-Check and Silver Medallion status.
Flew in and out of LGA last week. Construction is a mess. On arrival, instead of getting in taxi line outside of terminal, all taxi pickups are a 5 minute shuttle bus ride away. Not a big deal, but if used to looking for cabs at terminal it was a little odd.

Give yourself plenty of time when you leave.  I would also suggest to look at JFK and Newark both have trains that take you right to Penn Station and Times Square is just a few blocks north of Penn Station. Cab from Grand Central area to LGA was close to $50 (probably more with tip). Train is just a few dollars.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:54:46 PM by ATL MU Warrior »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2019, 10:40:10 AM »
Sincere thank you for all the suggestions. We'll make sure to check some (or all) of these places out in each city. We're already planning on Sintra and Belem.

We go the first few weeks of September.

Not sure I would go far out of my way for any of them. But you will likely be on the beach and the Gothic Quarter, so two for sure. If you are in the neighborhood of the others and need a break, good palces to stop. Mrs pbflyer really liked Garage.

Not sure who you are going with, but if you need to buy gifts for females, the cork jewelry in Lisbon goes over really well. Buy them at a market in a square. Cheap and popular. One of my wife's favorite pieces of jewelry.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2019, 11:50:01 PM »
Doing a Brewers road trip and hitting Great American Ball Park and PNC the first week of July. Would welcome Cincy and Pittsburgh restaurant/bar suggestions as well as any must sees while in the cities for a few days.

I've been to Cincinnati a few times and done everything there except the Newport Aquarium. Looking mostly for nightlife, bars and restaurants.

It will be our first time in Pittsburgh so all suggestions welcome.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 04, 2019, 11:41:11 AM »
Just a quick heads up.

Came back from Normandy a little over a week ago. The tour of the beaches is moving, especially given the sacrifices that many made on the day of the invasion. It was special to be able to tour the area and to realize what type of country we and our allies are.

Stayed in Bayeaux, France, about 20 minutes away. Bayeaux is a fascinating little town that was untouched by World War II. Good food and very friendly people. Scenery is very pretty in the area. Also went to St. Lo, where we saw an 11th century cathedral that had been badly damaged in WWII but reconstructed. Damage from artillery was still there in the walls. Most interesting piece: seeing the new and legacy stain glass.

How do I know it's new: It had a drawing of a farmer on a Ford tractor in it and another had etchings of St. John XXIII and Maximillian Kolb in it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
Just a quick heads up.

Came back from Normandy a little over a week ago. The tour of the beaches is moving, especially given the sacrifices that many made on the day of the invasion. It was special to be able to tour the area and to realize what type of country we and our allies are.

Stayed in Bayeaux, France, about 20 minutes away. Bayeaux is a fascinating little town that was untouched by World War II. Good food and very friendly people. Scenery is very pretty in the area. Also went to St. Lo, where we saw an 11th century cathedral that had been badly damaged in WWII but reconstructed. Damage from artillery was still there in the walls. Most interesting piece: seeing the new and legacy stain glass.

How do I know it's new: It had a drawing of a farmer on a Ford tractor in it and another had etchings of St. John XXIII and Maximillian Kolb in it.

Last night, I just took photos of my photos from my Normandy visit in February 1986.  (The good ole Kodak Disc Camera.)  I planned to share on Facebook for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.  As a high school exchange student in LeMans a trip to Normandy was included.   I visited Bayeux too and saw the Bayeux Tapestry with Haley's Comet on it which was cool to see because the comet was passing Earth in 1986.  I remember hanging out on the church steps in St. Lo in the evening as our hotel was there.

I was very moved too looking at Omaha Beach knowing my Great Uncle and his twin brother landed on it on Day 1.  I also vividly recall visiting Pont-du-Hoc, the Mulberry Harbor at Arromanche and the American Cemetery in COLLEVILLE-SUR-MER. 

Le Mont St Michel is the area as is St. Malo where all the French explorers departed from on there way to the New World.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »
I love Normandy.

My ancestors came from Dieppe and settled in Trois Rivieres in Quebec in the late 1600s, before making their way to Southern New France (Ste. Genevieve and later St. Louis, where I was born).

Visted the Normandy Beaches in 2013, but was unable to go to the cemeteries as our government was shut down (infuriating). Pont du Hoc was by far the most memorable experience of that day.

Mont St Michel was worthwhile, although incredibly touristy nowadays.

The food in Normandy is incredible. I've never had anything like the fresh seafood from there.

Nantes is also a cool nearby city worth checking out (in Brittany, not Normandy, but still close). It is not touristy at all, you get a great sense of the local culture and cuisine. There is a beautiful castle in the town center, which you can tour. It is also worth seeing the Machines of the Isle of Nantes: https://www.lesmachines-nantes.fr/en/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 03:59:39 PM by Coleman »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 04, 2019, 04:05:01 PM »
Mont St Michel was worthwhile, although incredibly touristy nowadays.

The food in Normandy is incredible. I've never had anything like the fresh seafood from there.

I did Mont St. Michel on the Sunday I was there. What was amazing about it was that they built this massive abbey on top of a rock in the Atlantic Ocean. They did so by moving massive stones to a large rock outcropping and then lifting them to the final location. In the 10th Century!

No steel. No iron and no other supporting structures. Just stone. Amazing.

Think about it. The work was done without cranes, without hydraulics and without bulldozers and dynamite. The notion of being able to do this with, what by today's standards, is primitive and almost primordial construction techniques is beyond fathoming.

P.S. -- The tapestry was a hoot as well. There were some scenes of everyday life in the first few panels that were, to say the least, amusing.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 04, 2019, 04:56:09 PM »
I did Mont St. Michel on the Sunday I was there. What was amazing about it was that they built this massive abbey on top of a rock in the Atlantic Ocean. They did so by moving massive stones to a large rock outcropping and then lifting them to the final location. In the 10th Century!

No steel. No iron and no other supporting structures. Just stone. Amazing.

Think about it. The work was done without cranes, without hydraulics and without bulldozers and dynamite. The notion of being able to do this with, what by today's standards, is primitive and almost primordial construction techniques is beyond fathoming.

P.S. -- The tapestry was a hoot as well. There were some scenes of everyday life in the first few panels that were, to say the least, amusing.

The abbey was very cool indeed. Didn't mean to knock Mt St Michel, just wish there wasn't so much touristy stuff at the bottom of the Mount.

feedback