[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 208261 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2200 on: April 13, 2024, 05:17:50 AM »
Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee in Georgia is an Excellent Resort.  Staff is super friendly , quality food and the setting is remote and tranquil.

Brunch at the Breakers in Palm Beach is an excellent brunch. Staff is excellent, food is excellent, the setting overlooking the ocean is excellent. All for only $195 per person, plus tax and service fee.
https://www.thebreakers.com/dining/sunday-brunch/

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2201 on: April 15, 2024, 09:47:05 AM »
21 is spot on. Sounds like you have plans for a night but if you have more time, I’ll echo/add just a little—
Catch the afternoon slots at the big Broadway bars for singer/songwriters instead of the cover bands playing the hits at night. At night catch a show at a place like Bluebird. Explore Printer’s Alley. Found a dive bar hosting karaoke once; the voices were absolutely incredible. There’s also a jazz club that had an open mic night where folks signed up with their instrument and were thrown together to make music.

East Nashville definitely has some great restaurants away from the crowds of downtown.

I also found the Country Music Hall of Fame really interesting for the history in the museum. I am not a modern country guy by any stretch, but learning about its origins and development was great.

We're intrigued enough by the live music at the Broadway bars that I'm fairly sure we're going to forgo the Opry. We're going to have limited time in Nashville, and Broadway just sounds like a lot more fun. Between driving out there, getting there early, seeing the show, and returning downtown it seemed like the Opry was going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of a 3-4 hour block of time. Throw 90 minutes for dinner in the mix, and we'd have little time for what sounds like the best part. That said, we're now thinking about doing the first 2-3 hours of the drive Tuesday night so we can get there a few hours earlier.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2202 on: April 15, 2024, 11:09:15 AM »
We're intrigued enough by the live music at the Broadway bars that I'm fairly sure we're going to forgo the Opry. We're going to have limited time in Nashville, and Broadway just sounds like a lot more fun. Between driving out there, getting there early, seeing the show, and returning downtown it seemed like the Opry was going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of a 3-4 hour block of time. Throw 90 minutes for dinner in the mix, and we'd have little time for what sounds like the best part. That said, we're now thinking about doing the first 2-3 hours of the drive Tuesday night so we can get there a few hours earlier.

It has been a while since I have been to Nashville (pre covid), but I was going to suggest bypassing the Opry given your limited time. I would suggest taking the self guided tour of Ryman auditorium (original home of the Grand Ole Opry.  If you go to Tootsie's using the back entrance. I think better music at the back stage.
Seems like a lot of the bars have been taken over by big name country stars.

Don't forget there is a full scale replica of the Parthenon there (right near the Taylor Swift bench, if you are into that sort of thing https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/taylor-swift-nashville-dedicates-invisible-string-bench-centennial-park-1235322735/)

Sadly, it looks like my favorite restaurant in that area, Merchant's is closed for renovations.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2203 on: April 15, 2024, 12:44:01 PM »
Eat at husk. You're welcome in advance

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2204 on: April 15, 2024, 12:44:57 PM »

Is that the same chef as the one in Charleston? If so, yes, totally yes.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #2205 on: April 15, 2024, 02:07:25 PM »
Is that the same chef as the one in Charleston? If so, yes, totally yes.

It is, Sean Brock. He’s a genius. He also owns and operates Audrey, June both in Nashville among others. Not sure he is still connected to Husk, but his fingerprints are all over it.

Love Husk in Charleston, had an awesome lunch there that rivals the dinner, so good.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 02:10:25 PM by 21Jumpstreet »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #2206 on: April 15, 2024, 02:11:48 PM »

This is the move. Take the extra time to eat another meal and catch another artist. You won’t be disappointed.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2207 on: April 15, 2024, 07:34:16 PM »
Has any Scooper been to Rapa Nui (Easter Island)?  Ty. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2208 on: April 15, 2024, 09:11:52 PM »
100%. Have hosted many meetings in the little building they have out back that used to be a stable or smokehouse or something like that. Great place.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2209 on: April 16, 2024, 09:44:58 AM »
Has any Scooper been to Rapa Nui (Easter Island)?  Ty.

Ive had a few friends who have been.  Its very cool for the Moai and some of the caves/cave painting, but otherwise there isn't a ton to do/see.  1-2 full days is plenty.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2210 on: April 16, 2024, 01:16:51 PM »
OK, I was raised in Nashville, so I am a bit jaundiced. I'm not a country music fan and, growing up, we had quite a few of the stars of the time living in our neighborhood. This was BEFORE country music was the rave.

A couple of ideas I know:

1) Jimmy Kelly's -- It's a steakhouse on Louise Street about five blocks north of Vanderbilt University. It's in an old mansion and is very elegant. Haven't been since it changed ownership but this is a top-notch place for good steaks in Nashville.

2) Southern Steak and Oyster -- Third Avenue just south of Broadway. Not a lot of charm but good food. Gotta plug this place. Went to grade and high school with the owner! He grew up down the street from me.

3) Loveless Cafe -- Bit of a drive from downtown. It's on Highway 100 west of St. Henry's and Vatican Valley. Old time southern cooking. Don't go on a Sunday unless you want to spend your day waiting for a table. Warning: has gotten a bit touristy in recent years. Owned by my old friend who also owns Southern Steak and Oyster.

4) Fifth & Taylor -- In the old Germantown neighborhood, this is an old warehouse that's now a very good restaurant. Never had a bad meal there, varied menu.

5) Sperry's -- Highway 70S (West End to Harding Road, just before the 70/100 split). This also is a steak and seafood house. Great local clientele in a location on the edge of Nashville's premier neighborhood.

Some things I like to do:

-- Union Station -- Now a Marriott branded hotel. Great location on the north end of the Gulch (its trains used to traverse the gulch). Incredible architecture, gracefully restored. Nice but pricey place to stay.

--  Frist Musuem -- I registered here for the draft when it was a post office. Last place in Nashville I went before heading off to MU. Nice art decco building and the collection is great.

-- Antagonize the Metro Cops -- OK, that's the younger me getting out. You probably don't want to do this because these guys are old school Bubbas.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2211 on: April 16, 2024, 03:30:55 PM »
Ive had a few friends who have been.  Its very cool for the Moai and some of the caves/cave painting, but otherwise there isn't a ton to do/see.  1-2 full days is plenty.

Ty.  It's not exactly an easy place to get to.  They found 50 new ocean species near there.  The Moai are amazing and I still haven't read any clear answers about them. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2212 on: April 17, 2024, 12:55:59 PM »
Ty.  It's not exactly an easy place to get to.  They found 50 new ocean species near there.  The Moai are amazing and I still haven't read any clear answers about them.

I thought the most common understanding was that the islanders cut down their trees and made the island uninhabitable so they abandoned it.

It's certainly happened on other Pacific islands.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2213 on: April 17, 2024, 01:09:05 PM »
I thought the most common understanding was that the islanders cut down their trees and made the island uninhabitable so they abandoned it.

No, it was aliens or manatees

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2214 on: April 18, 2024, 08:43:53 AM »

Also completely wiped out all native island bird populations.  Unfortunately foresight wasn't common in abundance for many subsistence cultures in areas of limited resources.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2215 on: April 18, 2024, 02:23:48 PM »
Also completely wiped out all native island bird populations.  Unfortunately foresight wasn't common in abundance for many subsistence cultures in areas of limited resources.

A few years ago I read a very interesting book:  Sapiens: A Brief History of Mankind

One of the things I thought was really fascinating was that there are quite a number of species of large, slow mammals that became extinct almost immediately once humans began to move into their habitat.  Mammoths and Mastadons are just a couple of them.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2216 on: April 18, 2024, 02:36:40 PM »

A few years ago I read a very interesting book:  Sapiens: A Brief History of Mankind

One of the things I thought was really fascinating was that there are quite a number of species of large, slow mammals that became extinct almost immediately once humans began to move into their habitat.  Mammoths and Mastadons are just a couple of them.

Yeah, there is a lot of debate about that. Mammoths in particular lived along-side humans for many years prior to becoming extinct. A lot of people believe it was due to a warmer and wetter climate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2217 on: April 18, 2024, 05:24:17 PM »

Yeah, there is a lot of debate about that. Mammoths in particular lived along-side humans for many years prior to becoming extinct. A lot of people believe it was due to a warmer and wetter climate.

They have done actual scientific studies that conclude in numerous instances that the extinction of these species (way more than just Mammoths and Mastodons, many were animals most people have ever heard of) correlates with the arrival of human beings in that area.  I don't have the book anymore, so I can't quote chapter and verse.

And it makes perfect sense. Slow, delicious animals that can feed a crap ton of people, and all they had to do is encircle it and stab it enough times with their spears.

I understand that  donations World Wildlife Fund were a little scarce back in the prehistoric era.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #2218 on: April 18, 2024, 06:01:10 PM »
They have done actual scientific studies that conclude in numerous instances that the extinction of these species (way more than just Mammoths and Mastodons, many were animals most people have ever heard of) correlates with the arrival of human beings in that area.  I don't have the book anymore, so I can't quote chapter and verse.

And it makes perfect sense. Slow, delicious animals that can feed a crap ton of people, and all they had to do is encircle it and stab it enough times with their spears.

I understand that  donations World Wildlife Fund were a little scarce back in the prehistoric era.

This study says it was both.

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060079
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2219 on: April 18, 2024, 07:00:20 PM »

This study says it was both.

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060079

Never thought I would see Sultan turn into Chicos.

Very well, then, feel free to have the last word.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #2220 on: April 18, 2024, 07:04:34 PM »
Never thought I would see Sultan turn into Chicos.

Very well, then, feel free to have the last word.

I was actually viewing it more as a kumbaya moment as where both of us could be considered "right." 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2221 on: April 18, 2024, 11:09:25 PM »

The Missus had the Audio Book version. Listened to it on road trips with her. Was definitely interesting.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2222 on: April 18, 2024, 11:14:16 PM »
I was just in LA and Orange County all last week. I personally enjoy LA, but I won’t argue with you at all about traffic/parking. I agree on Hollywood, but I enjoyed a meal at Dan Tana’s in WeHo. Didn’t see anyone of note, but the vibe was great.

Did you go into Newport? I saw you mentioned going south towards Long Beach and then into Orange County/Disneyland. I was actually at the Anaheim Marriott (at the convention center) a few nights last week.
About 10 years ago , went to Dan Tana with some business associates who were regulars there, of all people we were seated next to Bob Lanier.  The next night we had dinner at The Grill on the Alley in Beverly Hills and guess who shows up again, Bob Lanier. He was a funny guy very engaging personality, he was working for The NBA at the time.

Chicken Parm at Dan Tana was outstanding.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2223 on: April 24, 2024, 06:26:45 PM »
Good news for travelers ...

The Biden administration issued final rules Wednesday to require airlines to automatically issue cash refunds for things like delayed flights and to better disclose fees for baggage or canceling a reservation.

The Transportation Department said airlines will be required to provide automatic cash refunds within a few days for canceled flights and “significant” delays.

Under current regulations, airlines decide how long a delay must last before triggering refunds. The administration is removing that wiggle room by defining a significant delay as lasting at least three hours for domestic flights and six hours for international ones.

Airlines still will be allowed to offer another flight or a travel credit instead, but consumers can reject the offer.

The rule will also apply to refunds of checked-bag fees if the bag isn’t delivered within 12 hours for domestic flights or 15 to 30 hours for international flights. And it will apply to fees for things such as seat selection or an internet connection if the airline fails to provide the service.

https://apnews.com/article/airlines-junk-fees-baggage-delays-c4a93f9ee9a2bf7d9ee07394183a0374?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2224 on: April 24, 2024, 08:18:02 PM »

I was actually viewing it more as a kumbaya moment as where both of us could be considered "right."
[/quote

Humans were responsible.  And our ignominious greed continues to this day.