Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More games at the Al  (Read 17243 times)

The Thing

• Team Captain
Re: More games at the Al
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »
If they build an on-campus arena I am going to need to start sneaking alcohol into games again. I’m out of practice!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 11:50:45 PM »
If they build an on-campus arena I am going to need to start sneaking alcohol into games again. I’m out of practice!

This isn't an issue.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2018, 12:06:43 AM »
4ever

Great post. IMO, the donor statement is not an issue. There is plenty of money behind the idea.

I hope so.  Understand Warriorchick's sentiment and she has a point, but putting an on campus arena that can be used for graduation, games, concerts, other events with top billing, incredible home court advantage, pays huge dividends.  There is no greater commercial we have nationally then Marquette basketball.  Notre Dame would be a little tiny school in hicksville Indiana if it wasn't for football.  Durham, NC kind of sucks, but there is this amazing school with off the charts basketball played there.   

There are always going to be greater priorities, but sometimes money spent on something that delivers a national brand identification can lead to great revenues in the forms of donations, endowment, student applications and such as a result, even if in the short term it may not be as high a priority vs a specific academic building. In other words, building a life sciences building may be a short term need.  Building an arena that leads to huge name recognition (think Gonzaga, Villanova, Xavier) and that Life Sciences building comes a few years later along with 5 other buildings bought and paid for with the capital generated from alumni giving.  Time to think big!!! 

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »
Thankfully, Dr. Lovell has a vision that many alums lack.

And no ability to raise enough funds for his vision.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:52 AM »
And no ability to raise enough funds for his vision.

I think we measure up fairly well with schools in our mission and our size

Marquette endowment $550.1M

Creighton  $448.5M
Depaul $492.3M
Xavier $169.4M
Georgetown $1.484B
Villanova $645M
St. John's $647.9M
Seton Hall $242.7M
Providence $213M
Butler $174M

Gonzaga  $181.4M
Temple $513.6M
Loyola Marymount $454M
Loyola Chicago $750M

— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2018, 02:30:14 AM »
Where would it realistically go? In case you all are forgetting we're an urban campus and it's not easy to just buy the houses that upper class men live in when we're surrounded by rough neighborhoods not friendly to college students.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2018, 04:57:20 AM »
Warriorchick

Again, why are you so against the idea? While I think an on campus facility is a solid idea and worth discussion, I do not have strong feelings one way or another at this point. In addition, I did not say that this is definitely going to happen, just that money would not be an issue if it does. Am I incorrect in that?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2018, 04:57:42 AM »
If Marquette builds on onsite arena, they would never see another penny of donation money from me.  I am not saying that alone would cause the BOD to start shaking in their boots, but I am sure many more generous donors would feel the same way.

The school has a laundry list of far more important financial needs.  The kind of money it would take to build a new arena and maintain would pay for several sorely needed academic buildings, or endow enough scholarships to put a couple of hundred poor kids through Marquette every year for free.

Spending that kind of money  because of the completely unproven theory that it might allow us to win an additional game or two per season?  Idiotic.

Obviously a very sensible woman. Must have gone to a co-ed Catholic High School in Nashville!

I'm in Chick's corner. As much as I love Warrior basketball, there is no way I would give a cent to a new arena. It would be a deal-breaker for me in giving to the university, period. We have a wonderful option six blocks off campus that will be the standard by which other arenas are measured. Spending money on an on-campus arena at a time when we need to build support for scholarships, endowed professorships and other educational needs is absolute lunacy.

I'll never forget when they were building the AMU, I had a nice young student call me and ask me to redirect my contribution to the union.  I asked the student how she was going to college and  she responded on "scholarship." I asked her where that money was coming from and what she might be  doing to someone if I and other alumni redirected our contributions to building the AMU.  To say the least, she was shocked.

I feel the same way about any arena idea. It is money needed to be spent elsewhere!

We will be  number one again in basketball. We have to be number one in being the best Marquette we can be. The latter does not include a new arena!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2018, 05:04:40 AM »
dgies

My only issue with chick and your comments is, people can donate money anywhere they want and really no ones business. You truthfully would not give money to MU if a group funded an arena? You and chick have far stronger opinions on the topic than I do. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2018, 06:25:35 AM »
Warriorchick

Again, why are you so against the idea? While I think an on campus facility is a solid idea and worth discussion, I do not have strong feelings one way or another at this point. In addition, I did not say that this is definitely going to happen, just that money would not be an issue if it does. Am I incorrect in that?

You keep saying that, but haven't presented any evidence to back it up.

Why am I against the idea? Let me make it simple.

Complete. Waste. Of. Money.

Take a look at the the long term plan for campus. There are at least a half dozen new buildings proposed, none of which are arenas. If there was enough serious interest interest among donors to build an arena, and it was anywhere close to economically feasible, there would at least be rumors floating around  in Zilber. To my knowledge, there are none.

Believe me when I tell you that as far as the university is concerned, the on-campus arena idea goes into the same pile as bringing back varsity football.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2018, 06:38:50 AM »
Warriorchick

I am not sure what I keep saying, other than asking why you think it is a complete waste of money. I stated you definitely are far more in the know than I am, but was interested in your opinion, not what you believe the university's position is at the moment. What the university ultimately does on any project is their decision. I simply was curious on why you think it is a stupid idea.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2018, 06:51:21 AM »
Warriorchick

I am not sure what I keep saying, other than asking why you think it is a complete waste of money. I stated you definitely are far more in the know than I am, but was interested in your opinion, not what you believe the university's position is at the moment. What the university ultimately does on any project is their decision. I simply was curious on why you think it is a stupid idea.

Goose, because there's a world class facility walking distance away.  It is a unique situation that has blessed Marquette since 1954.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2018, 06:54:12 AM »
Warriorchick

Because the university does not need it. I don't know how many ways I can say that.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2018, 06:58:30 AM »
chick and glow,

Respect your opinions and stance. As I said several times, I do not have strong opinion, one way or another. I try to open to ideas and see what pans out.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2018, 07:04:05 AM »
chick and glow,

Respect your opinions and stance. As I said several times, I do not have strong opinion, one way or another. I try to open to ideas and see what pans out.

All good goose.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »
You keep saying that, but haven't presented any evidence to back it up.

Why am I against the idea? Let me make it simple.

Take a look at the the long term plan for campus. There are at least a half dozen new buildings proposed, none of which are arenas. If there was enough serious interest interest among donors to build an arena, and it was anywhere close to economically feasible, there would at least be rumors floating around  in Zilber. To my knowledge, there are none.

Ya might wanna check again wit da write peeps in Zilber, hey?

Believe me when I tell you that as far as the university is concerned, the on-campus arena idea goes into the same pile as bringing back varsity football.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
Well Bill Scholl claims that Marquette basketball as a 7:1 ROI.

I for one and very excited for the $700 Million that Marquette will make after spending $100 million on a new stadium  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2018, 07:55:04 AM »
Well Bill Scholl claims that Marquette basketball as a 7:1 ROI.

I for one and very excited for the $700 Million that Marquette will make after spending $100 million on a new stadium  ;D

Better yet, let's spend $1 Billion on the stadium!  Free tuition for everyone!
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »

Let me pose a hypothetical.  A well heeled donor offers $100M to build an arena in her name.  Enough to cover the complete project.  This donor may donate further to the university, but only on the condition that her arena is built.

Should the university say no?

— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »
Goose, because there's a world class facility walking distance away.  It is a unique situation that has blessed Marquette since 1954.

That costs money to use, has MU down the pecking order in terms of usage and is too big.   By no means am I saying it's not a great place to play, but in a hypothetical world where the university doesn't have to pay for it because Mrs. Donor covers the complete nut, would you be against something the university owns and could be a centerpiece to other options for the university (hotel, retail, etc)?

It seems no one here is suggesting playing where the Bucks play is a bad thing, but if a better thing was available are some of you still against it IF the money was not coming from the university?
— Plato

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2018, 08:22:45 AM »

Of course not.  I am with Ma & Pa Scoop though...there are many projects I personally would try to convince the donor to support based on their merits. 

If you cant convince them then you do the singular thing they feel is important (as long as the University agrees that it furthers their mission).

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »
Let me pose a hypothetical.  A well heeled donor offers $100M to build an arena in her name.  Enough to cover the complete project.  This donor may donate further to the university, but only on the condition that her arena is built.

That's an interesting hypothetical.  I'm against the arena because I don't think we need it, and whatever we build wouldn't be nearly as nice as the Bucks arena.  If someone wants to donate $100M for this, it still doesn't change the fact that it still won't be as nice as the Bucks arena.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »
Where would it realistically go? In case you all are forgetting we're an urban campus and it's not easy to just buy the houses that upper class men live in when we're surrounded by rough neighborhoods not friendly to college students.
I assume they'd put in on their new plot of land next to the interchange with the Ramada, where the indoor fieldhouse was supposed to go.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »

MU would say yes, and probably have a press conference the next week.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:12 AM »
I assume they'd put in on their new plot of land next to the interchange with the Ramada, where the indoor fieldhouse was supposed to go.

Do I recall hearing something about them getting rid of the Rec Center?  Is there something already slated for that space?  Would that be a large enough footprint?  It's certainly bigger than the Al.  And perhaps they could encroach across 17th Street.

For the record, I'm generally not in favor or the on-campus arena, but I thought that the "where would it go" question was interesting.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback