[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More games at the Al  (Read 17246 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
More games at the Al
« on: March 19, 2018, 01:13:55 AM »
It looks really fun to be at. Something I have wondered as a fan/alum, why can't the team do like week night games at the Al and weekend in the arena? From my watching, I don't see us having much of home court advantage when the stadium is less than half full. I think the Al would give us more home court advantage on the low turnout games. Does anyone know if this was ever considered?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

jsglow

• All American
Re: More games at the Al
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:40:01 AM »
It looks really fun to be at. Something I have wondered as a fan/alum, why can't the team do like week night games at the Al and weekend in the arena? From my watching, I don't see us having much of home court advantage when the stadium is less than half full. I think the Al would give us more home court advantage on the low turnout games. Does anyone know if this was ever considered?

Because we have 10,000+ season ticket holders and the Al holds 3,700.  Asked and answered.  It's just not happening.  Ever.  Good night.

connie

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 07:16:01 AM »
All of these threads are pretty humorous.  The reality is MU is moving to a brand new top level facility a mile from campus.  MU is not going to invest 100mil(+) of their funds in an arena that has huge competition in the 5k seat range, some competition in the 10k range, and a larger venue for the big stuff.  They do this to hold what, 30-40 revenue generating events a year?  (If they're lucky.)
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »
If the Warriors go to the Al, many of us who are occasional attendees but huge fans would never see them.

Th Big East probably also has minimum arena requirements.

I know of no faster way to become a mid-major than to play games in a 3,700 seat arena.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:41:29 AM »
If the Warriors go to the Al, many of us who are occasional attendees but huge fans would never see them.

I know of no faster way to become a mid-major than to play games in a 3,700 seat arena.

Nah - their just talking about spending tens of millions of dollars to cut the average attendance anywhere from 30 - 40% (to 8-10K) just so that the bball team can play in a louder setting.  All while a brand new, state of the art, basketball designed arena is constructed for our partial use.       

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$, or lack of it.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
Nah - their just talking about spending tens of millions of dollars to cut the average attendance anywhere from 30 - 40% (to 8-10K) just so that the bball team can play in a louder setting.  All while a brand new, state of the art, basketball designed arena is constructed for our partial use.     

As much fun as this on campus arena sounds, this is the hard truth.  Spending $100 million (probably low end) for an arguably better game day experience and more home court advantage when a brand new $524M arena was just built would be silly.  For fan experience - the amenities of the new arena should be first class, better than a budget-conscious on campus arena would provide.  For home court advantage - since the Pavilion is being renovated, Villanova played at the Wells Fargo Center all year and lost only one home game.  Good basketball teams and home court advantages have a strong positive correlation.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:18 AM »

I agree the Al is too small, but I doubt the BE has minimum capacities. Carnesecca Arena and the Villanova Pavilion both hold around 6,000.

IMHO, the ideal for MU would be about 8-10k. The arrangement would have the big-ticket games (Nova, X, Rodents, etc) at the Chaluparena, and play the mid-majors on campus. That way, you'd have more capacity or near-capacity crowds.

That said, it isn't happening unless someone gives a ton of $$$$$ specifically earmarked for an arena. They'd probably also need to throw in a bag of Beef 'n Cheddars.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »

That said, it isn't happening unless someone gives a ton of $$$$$ specifically earmarked for an arena. They'd probably also need to throw in a bag of Beef 'n Cheddars.

If Marquette builds on onsite arena, they would never see another penny of donation money from me.  I am not saying that alone would cause the BOD to start shaking in their boots, but I am sure many more generous donors would feel the same way.

The school has a laundry list of far more important financial needs.  The kind of money it would take to build a new arena and maintain would pay for several sorely needed academic buildings, or endow enough scholarships to put a couple of hundred poor kids through Marquette every year for free.

Spending that kind of money  because of the completely unproven theory that it might allow us to win an additional game or two per season?  Idiotic.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:12:52 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
If Marquette builds on onsite arena, they would never see another penny of donation money from me.  I am not saying that alone would cause the BOD to start shaking in their boots, but I am sure many more generous donors would feel the same way.

The school has a laundry list of far more important financial needs.  The kind of money it would take to build a new arena and maintain would pay for several sorely needed academic buildings, or scholarships that would put a couple of hundred poor kids through Marquette every year for free.

Spending that kind of money  because of the completely unproven theory that it might allow us to win an additional game or two per season?  Idiotic.

What if it was from a combo of donors that stated specifically it must be used on basketball?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »
Chick

I respect your opinion and what you do with your donation money, but I think you may wrong on what other donors would feel. I might not run in the same circle as you, but I know many folks that would support on campus facility. As a matter of fact, of the people I have talked to about this I would say overwhelming majority like the idea.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:47 PM »
Arby's Arena does have a nice ring to it, though.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
I think it'd be nice to play some of the small mid-week buy games at the AL that are lightly attended at the BC and now the new arena, but understand the logistics issues with having more STH than seats in the Al.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 02:21:12 PM »
What if it was from a combo of donors that stated specifically it must be used on basketball?

chick's point is that many of those donors could be convinced to support other projects if communication is handled correctly.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 02:21:46 PM »

chick's point is that many of those donors could be convinced to support other projects if communication is handled correctly.

Exactly.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »
Chick

I respect your opinion and what you do with your donation money, but I think you may wrong on what other donors would feel. I might not run in the same circle as you, but I know many folks that would support on campus facility. As a matter of fact, of the people I have talked to about this I would say overwhelming majority like the idea.

If that's the case, why have all of the recent 7 and 8 figure donations gone to non-athletic pursuits?  Has anyone donated that kind of money to the athletic department since the Al has been built?
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »
If that's the case, why have all of the recent 7 and 8 figure donations gone to non-athletic pursuits?  Has anyone donated that kind of money to the athletic department since the Al has been built?

No, but I wouldn't place all the blame for that on the willingness of donors.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »

The school has a laundry list of far more important financial needs.  The kind of money it would take to build a new arena and maintain would pay for several sorely needed academic buildings, or endow enough scholarships to put a couple of hundred poor kids through Marquette every year for free.

See Wintrust which is being watched.  Public, private, university, multiple use facility.  This wouldn't all be on MU but MU already owns the land.  Just saying.

Admirals, Wave, conventions, concerts, MU Lax and soccer, hockey? Joyce Center North.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »
Chick

What has been proposed in 7-8 figure plans for athletic department that were turned down? In all due respect, I believe they could fund in on campus facility VERY, VERY quickly if they chose to build one.

As I noted in last post, you likely are much more connected with the blue blood donors than I am, so maybe I am all wet.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
I just don't get it.  We have one of the greatest basketball facilities in the world about to open blocks from campus, and people are dreaming of playing in some bare-bones facility that would cost 1/10th of the new arena.  We're on the verge of finally getting seats with cup holders, and people want to go back to bleachers.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 02:32:53 PM »
Dr. Blackheart

Hockey? The Admirals playing there? I like the sound of that. Would be nice to see MU have a hockey program. all of my kids played ice hockey and it would be nice addition to the athletic department. I think it might just happen.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »
Hockey???  We just got done playing in an arena where the biggest complaint was that the end zones were so far away from the court because it was built for hockey.  State taxpayers are chipping in $250 Million so we can have an arena built for basketball, not hockey.  Building a new arena for hockey is the worst possible thing we could do.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 02:45:17 PM »
Hockey???  We just got done playing in an arena where the biggest complaint was that the end zones were so far away from the court because it was built for hockey.  State taxpayers are chipping in $250 Million so we can have an arena built for basketball, not hockey.  Building a new arena for hockey is the worst possible thing we could do.

Kohl Center has hockey and it is 100 times better than the BC for basketball.  Remember the new arena can have a full sized sheet of ice.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »
Dr. Blackheart

Hockey? The Admirals playing there? I like the sound of that. Would be nice to see MU have a hockey program. all of my kids played ice hockey and it would be nice addition to the athletic department. I think it might just happen.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=55059.0

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
Kohl Center has hockey and it is 100 times better than the BC for basketball.  Remember the new arena can have a full sized sheet of ice.
I'm curious to see the final layout.  I'm wondering if they set it up similar to the Barclays Center or Bankers Life with no lower level behind one of the goals.

feedback