[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More games at the Al  (Read 17247 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: More games at the Al
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 02:56:00 PM »
I agree the Al is too small, but I doubt the BE has minimum capacities. Carnesecca Arena and the Villanova Pavilion both hold around 6,000.

IMHO, the ideal for MU would be about 8-10k. The arrangement would have the big-ticket games (Nova, X, Rodents, etc) at the Chaluparena, and play the mid-majors on campus. That way, you'd have more capacity or near-capacity crowds.

That said, it isn't happening unless someone gives a ton of $$$$$ specifically earmarked for an arena. They'd probably also need to throw in a bag of Beef 'n Cheddars.

The big-ticket games are exactly the games where we would need a raucous crowd the most!  At the same time, we don't need a raucous crowd to beat Grambling.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
Dr.

Thanks. I remember that thread!!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
If Marquette builds on onsite arena, they would never see another penny of donation money from me.  I am not saying that alone would cause the BOD to start shaking in their boots, but I am sure many more generous donors would feel the same way.

The school has a laundry list of far more important financial needs.  The kind of money it would take to build a new arena and maintain would pay for several sorely needed academic buildings, or endow enough scholarships to put a couple of hundred poor kids through Marquette every year for free.

Spending that kind of money  because of the completely unproven theory that it might allow us to win an additional game or two per season?  Idiotic.

I would only hope that MU would pursue this path if it was deemed financially beneficial to build on-site based on rising costs from the Bucks.

I feel like that’s the main driver. It would be kind of cool, but I don’t think anyone is suggesting to do it unless it makes financial sense.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:15 PM »
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=55059.0
If the MECCA goes away I could see it making more sense, but I think that's going to be longer than 7 years.  They've put a lot of money into arena and theater lately.  I don't think the community is going to be willing to tear those down anytime soon.  I also don't see any taxes going to help build this new mini-arena after the fight they just had for the Bucks arena.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 03:28:05 PM »
cheebs

I really am interested in why Warriorchick has such a strong opinion on this topic. To say she would never donate a penny, if the University chose to do something she does not approve of, sounds extremely harsh to me. I hope she shares in details what she feels would be a better investment.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »
$100 million could pay a lot of rent at new Bucks arena.

For example, let's use the numbers mentioned in one of these threads.  Old rent $29,000 per game. New rent goes up $25,000 per game so now it would be $54,000 per game.

Assuming 16 games, plus the exhibition makes 17 per year.

$54,000 per game x 17 games per year x 7 years = $6.426 million.

Let's say rent doubles on the next 7 year lease.  That's about $13 million.

So over the course of 14 years, MU has spent a shade under $20 million on rent.

Still not even close to  approaching the cost of a stadium, much less the total cost including operations.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »

For example, let's use the numbers mentioned in one of these threads.  Old rent $29,000 per game. New rent goes up $25,000 per game so now it would be $54,000 per game.

Still not even close to  approaching the cost of a stadium, much less the total cost including operations.

Actually, that average of less than $1.5 million per year is probably not even close to the operating costs alone.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 04:29:16 PM »
People seem to be forgetting that the arena would make money for the university. If it didn't,  it wouldn't be considered.

If the Mecca were to close,  a lot of events would be looking to pay us rent...and we would get to keep concession sales.

If the economics work, it will happen. In not nearly smart enough to know how all the economics work so I'll leave that up to the experts
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

connie

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 04:31:24 PM »
Let's not forget the 120m in deferred maintenance that was claimed needed for the BC when they were planning the new arena.  If half of that is true we need to add a bunch to the claimed BC operating expenses.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
I just don't get it.  We have one of the greatest basketball facilities in the world about to open blocks from campus, and people are dreaming of playing in some bare-bones facility that would cost 1/10th of the new arena.  We're on the verge of finally getting seats with cup holders, and people want to go back to bleachers.

The real mind-bender here is that Benny has stated on occasions too numerous to be accounted that the Thunderdome gears are already in motion, but evidently patience and anxiety control are not the strong suits of Scoopers.  The FoxHole simply bridges the gap from A (BC) to Thunderdome.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
TAMU

Spot on.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
An on campus arena would be a tremendous addition for the university. Pair that with a hotel, community involvement, and the idea makes senses on so many levels. Remember that in the business of running a successful school, you must stay ahead of the curve. There are reasons why MU only signed a 7 year lease at the new Bucks facility.
As for Ma's pseudo threat, the university changed an extremely popular and history rich nickname without concern for its effect on donations. Thankfully, Dr. Lovell has a vision that many alums lack.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 08:13:55 PM »
An on campus arena would be a tremendous addition for the university. Pair that with a hotel, community involvement, and the idea makes senses on so many levels. Remember that in the business of running a successful school, you must stay ahead of the curve. There are reasons why MU only signed a 7 year lease at the new Bucks facility.
As for Ma's pseudo threat, the university changed an extremely popular and history rich nickname without concern for its effect on donations. Thankfully, Dr. Lovell has a vision that many alums lack.

You back on the gluten again Doc? Almost don't recognize ya
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 08:19:22 PM »
Appropriate to use real English when it's a serious topic, I'm pissed off, or just feel like it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »
4ever

Great post. IMO, the donor statement is not an issue. There is plenty of money behind the idea.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »

This and looking at estimates of 10k seat arenas operating expenses per year including management staff, utilities and maintenance about 3 million a year. To tie up 100 million of capital, even donations, and land for this does not make sense especially when MU already has a detailed expansion plan. If an arena was feasible or made any sense I'm 💯 it would have been included.
Goal is National Championship

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 08:41:43 PM »
This and looking at estimates of 10k seat arenas operating expenses per year including management staff, utilities and maintenance about 3 million a year. To tie up 100 million of capital, even donations, and land for this does not make sense especially when MU already has a detailed expansion plan. If an arena was feasible or made any sense I'm 💯 it would have been included.
Its not going to happen unless someone like Senator Kohl brings the big bucks. And even that does not allow for the maintenance costs you allude to.  Just what it is.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
4ever

Great post. IMO, the donor statement is not an issue. There is plenty of money behind the idea.

I will believe it when I see it.
Have some patience, FFS.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »
On one hand people want the program to be successful and draw bigger crowds to games, stating "the crowds are weak" the "student section is weak" and the other hand there are so many threads clamoring for more games at a space that seats 3700...classic.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »
On one hand people want the program to be successful and draw bigger crowds to games, stating "the crowds are weak" the "student section is weak" and the other hand there are so many threads clamoring for more games at a space that seats 3700...classic.

To address this thread and others like this, I am just saying to do some games in a smaller venue on games that have no chance of getting the stadium full. Am empty stadium doesn't generate that much revenue or give much home court advantage. That's all
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 09:00:36 PM »

If we are going small why stop at 3700.  One person per team per game I say. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2018, 09:12:53 PM »
To address this thread and others like this, I am just saying to do some games in a smaller venue on games that have no chance of getting the stadium full. Am empty stadium doesn't generate that much revenue or give much home court advantage. That's all

Those games that don't fill the house are the games where a home court advantage is rarely required, though.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »
STHs are 10k you need to have seats available for them. Or you take those games out of the package and then lose revenue
Goal is National Championship

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:38 PM »
Those games that don't fill the house are the games where a home court advantage is rarely required, though.

Could have helped against Butler. Just saying that getting 3 week night games in schedule shouldn't lose a earth shattering amount of money, help the odds of a win, and be a cool experience for the students.

Honestly, the stadium can be too quiet to be a real impact to the game. I wouldn't mind giving the students both ends of the court to help the cause.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »
MU82 Arena ... I like the sound of that.

I am having my peeps working on fund-raising right now. I think we can ...

Wait ... what's that?

We have it! It's gonna happen!!!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback