[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More games at the Al  (Read 17260 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: More games at the Al
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
It's owned by the Cintas Corporation outright and is just located on the Xavier Campus.  I was not aware of the arrangement until my kid toured XU this past fall.

So Cintas is not owned by Xavier.  I'm assuming that they pay rent to Cintas, yes?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2018, 10:33:36 AM »

Knew Xmas ornament, aina?

Put the "X" back in Xmas, I always say!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2018, 10:34:22 AM »
So Cintas is not owned by Xavier.  I'm assuming that they pay rent to Cintas, yes?

I don't know?  The Open House was held inside the Cintas Center.  Someone from Admissions made an additional comment along the lines of "about having to arrange with Cintas to use today."

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »
Marquette should leverage the naming rights that are still available for the new stadium. I read in the MKE Biz Journal there's a scenario where it opens without naming rights attached. That means the Bucks are losing the $7-10 million per year they expected for that. Go back in, name it the Marquette University Arena, and get an extension on the lease at a more profitable cost as part of the naming rights negotiations.

I really like that idea.  It would make it look like MU owns the arena even though they don't. Plus MU would get their name on every event (Bucks game, concert, etc.) held at the building.

It's way too pricey for them to do, but I like it!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
I went to the game yesterday, which was the first official event I've ever been to there.  Afterwards, I'm even more surprised people want to play more games in there, or in a larger on-campus version.  I'll take a half-full BC over the Al any day.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »
Probably someone who was scalping NIT tickets.

Coming soon:  The Anybody Have Extra Tickets? Arena.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUClassof2039

• Walk-On
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
I went to the game yesterday, which was the first official event I've ever been to there.  Afterwards, I'm even more surprised people want to play more games in there, or in a larger on-campus version.  I'll take a half-full BC over the Al any day.

What was it about the AL that you didn't like? I would be shocked if anyone thought the atmosphere in a half full BC is better than a packed AL... Certainly there are comforts and amenities that the BC offers that the AL doesn't, but the AL was never built to be a full-time host of MBB games

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »

I really enjoyed the games at the AL.  That being said I'll take the Bradley Center/new arena any day.

It's fine for an occasional novelty but I wouldn't want to do it regularly.   

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
Wave (if they survive)

They seemed to turn things around with Mike Zimmerman as the owner. Led the league in attendance.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2018, 11:49:25 AM »
What was it about the AL that you didn't like? I would be shocked if anyone thought the atmosphere in a half full BC is better than a packed AL... Certainly there are comforts and amenities that the BC offers that the AL doesn't
I've been too NIT games with Mike Deane as coach with a fired up crowd of 4,000 in the building at the BC. Atmosphere is the same as the three at the AL. Fans didn't cheer louder or harder at the AL. It's just the set-up of the building that makes it louder. I thought it sounded like a high school game, than an roar of the crowd being in an arena.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:52:03 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
The discussion about the AL scoreboard is a good one.  MU could certainly dramatically upgrade it which would also then allow for simulcasting next year's Final 4 run for the students.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »
jsglow

I can see far better use for the money than upgrading the scoreboard at The Al.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »
What was it about the AL that you didn't like? I would be shocked if anyone thought the atmosphere in a half full BC is better than a packed AL... Certainly there are comforts and amenities that the BC offers that the AL doesn't, but the AL was never built to be a full-time host of MBB games
Concourses are cramped, metal bleachers instead of padded seats, packed in tighter without much space, no video board, no player names on the scoreboard, no out-of-town scores, PA system was difficult to hear, no lounge areas in the concourses with TVs on other games, limited concession options, no beer, no Flohs lounge, didn't have 20 bar/restaurants within 1 block, parking less convenient.  I guess I like the comforts/amenities.

I understand why we played there, and I'm glad people had an opportunity for a unique experience.  It was still fun (despite the loss) because it's still MU basketball, but I hope we never have to play there again.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
Dey allocate funds ta upgrade the Al scoreboard, count me outta any donations goin' forward. Should put dat $63.41 cents ta student scholarships, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2018, 12:45:01 PM »
4ever

Show off. Throwing money around like it grows on trees.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2018, 01:02:24 PM »
jsglow

I can see far better use for the money than upgrading the scoreboard at The Al.

A new scoreboard would get used way more than a second arena.  And be at least $99,900,000 cheaper.   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »
chick

There is no dollar amount that I would oppose the university spending on the basketball team. It is the identity of the university and every asset should be at the program's disposal to bring attention to Marquette. Like it or not, Marquette Basketball is the greatest marketing tool the school has and by a VERY wide margin. I highly encourage them to up the budget and up the expectations!!! GO MU!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:09:21 PM by Goose »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »
Marquette should leverage the naming rights that are still available for the new stadium. I read in the MKE Biz Journal there's a scenario where it opens without naming rights attached. That means the Bucks are losing the $7-10 million per year they expected for that. Go back in, name it the Marquette University Arena, and get an extension on the lease at a more profitable cost as part of the naming rights negotiations.

This is a great idea, wish it would/could happen

feedback