[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I place this all on Wojo.  (Read 13456 times)

Floorslapper

• All American
Re: I put this win squarely on the coaching staff
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
I think the difference was the Howard injury. If Howard and Rowsey are out there together, the zone likely doesn't work as well. To run it effectively, we need the additional quickness and length we get from guys like Elliott and Cain. It'll be interesting to see how we run it going forward depending on health.

Spot on.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: I place this all on Wojo.
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »
Coming off a big win and THIS is what you look forward to? You got problems

If you have read this site for a long time, I think all of US have had problems.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

1SE

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
You said it, 1SE!! This board should get the credit.

Salary split according to number of posts
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2018, 01:28:44 PM »

Ha. I approve of this plan
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »
Piker.    Do we have to give all of Chico's different names shares?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »
Piker.    Do we have to give all of Chico's different names shares?

Ban hammered shares are frozen.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2018, 02:22:02 PM »
As a woman-owned account, I demand a special set-aside.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
Great win.  Thank God Wojo finally, finally  had the team play zone.

You do realize that he has used zone in stretches of numerous games, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2018, 02:52:57 PM »

#sultanisthe1%
TAMU

1SE

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2018, 03:17:52 PM »
#sultanisthe1%

I suspect all of you 10,000+ers are secretly hoping Scoop posts are monetized someday.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2018, 05:30:23 PM »
I suspect all of you 10,000+ers are secretly hoping Scoop posts are monetized someday.

It's like bitcoin ai''na???

1SE

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2018, 06:15:21 PM »

It's like bitcoin ai''na???

All money in the bank.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2018, 06:19:19 PM »
You do realize that he has used zone in stretches of numerous games, right?
Yes, but this was the first time he stuck with it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2018, 09:54:06 PM »
Yes, but this was the first time he stuck with it.

This is incorrect.

As TAMU pointed out in another thread, the zone helped us beat Nova last year. Wojo stuck with it over the next 5 games, and we went 1-4. And that was with JJJ to be a ballhawk. Wojo went back to man against X and we won, starting the 4-1 stretch that clinched our NCAA berth.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2018, 10:46:37 PM »
Synergy still hasn't logged last night's game vs Creighton, but going in to it #mubb had given up .972 PPP in man defense and 1.089 PPP in zone D.

Via Paint Touches.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »
Synergy still hasn't logged last night's game vs Creighton, but going in to it #mubb had given up .972 PPP in man defense and 1.089 PPP in zone D.

Via Paint Touches.

Good info, though my guess is that we used man a lot more against cupcakes so that might skew the results a bit.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2018, 11:23:22 AM »

Via Paint Touches.

This is great.  Yet - what Synergy cannot account for:

1) How long did we stay in zone for?  I'm a firm believer that you execute better with repetition and consistency.  I don't recall 1 instance in the last few years where we went EXCLUSIVELY zone for an entire half.

2) The personnel used in a zone make a HUGE difference in a zone defense's effectiveness.  Cuse always has long athletes.  Playing a zone with both Markus and Rowsey in it, is going to yield worse results than subbing out one of them and adding uber long and athletic Cain.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »
Good info, though my guess is that we used man a lot more against cupcakes so that might skew the results a bit.

Yes, can confirm this.
We were almost exclusively man against Wisconsin.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »
Got to say I've grown sour on wojo - mostly because he's just so freaking boring & shows zero emotion. But, I got to give credit where credit is due, every player he's brought in plays to win every night which is truly a joy to watch. Elliot, Cain, John, Anim have all shown exceptional toughness all season long. It's a strong point for Wojo, the players play hard for him. Even though I'd like a little more from the coach as long as the players are responding to his teaching of gritty play it doesn't matter if wojo doesn't get as fired up on the sideline or shows even an ounce of personality in post game pressers. I'm such a fan of the way the freshman and Sacar have approached the game this year. We knew what rowsey, howard and hauser would bring but the others playing the way they do speaks volumes to wojo as a leader and is very promising as these kids continue to fill out and improve their game in the big east.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:10:47 PM by Boards »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
Yes, can confirm this.
We were almost exclusively man against Wisconsin.

winner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2018, 03:08:18 PM »
Got to say I've grown sour on wojo - mostly because he's just so freaking boring & shows zero emotion. But, I got to give credit where credit is due, every player he's brought in plays to win every night which is truly a joy to watch. Elliot, Cain, John, Anim have all shown exceptional toughness all season long. It's a strong point for Wojo, the players play hard for him. Even though I'd like a little more from the coach as long as the players are responding to his teaching of gritty play it doesn't matter if wojo doesn't get as fired up on the sideline or shows even an ounce of personality in post game pressers. I'm such a fan of the way the freshman and Sacar have approached the game this year. We knew what rowsey, howard and hauser would bring but the others playing the way they do speaks volumes to wojo as a leader and is very promising as these kids continue to fill out and improve their game in the big east.

I was kinda waiting for this to pop up and it's something that I think hasn't been discussed much since Saturday.  Watch Wojo and the team closely in all the time following the M2N injury.  I think the demeanor and body language speak volumes.  Immediately after the injury, Wojo is literally pounding the chests of Heldt and Theo.  And he's clearly challenging each and every player to stand up like men if they want this.  Moments later he takes his T, not because he's mad about a particular call it seemed to me, but in a classic 'wake the eff up' approach.  In the second half, we actually hear him talking about winning the last 4 minute segment and telling his players it's zero/zero now.  With 90 seconds to go, he draws up an effective iso play for Sacar.  'I'll make it coach.'  And one last thing.  In the very last timeout with 6 seconds, Wojo steps aside with all his coaches for several seconds and the entire team gathers around Rowsey.  And you can clearly tell AR is reminding everyone about their assignments and to r-e-l-a-x and not do something stupid.  He had 100% attention. 

I think I saw a coach and a team grow up a little.  Now it may not salvage the season but I liked every moment of that.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »
I was kinda waiting for this to pop up and it's something that I think hasn't been discussed much since Saturday.  Watch Wojo and the team closely in all the time following the M2N injury.  I think the demeanor and body language speak volumes.  Immediately after the injury, Wojo is literally pounding the chests of Heldt and Theo.  And he's clearly challenging each and every player to stand up like men if they want this.  Moments later he takes his T, not because he's mad about a particular call it seemed to me, but in a classic 'wake the eff up' approach.  In the second half, we actually hear him talking about winning the last 4 minute segment and telling his players it's zero/zero now.  With 90 seconds to go, he draws up an effective iso play for Sacar.  'I'll make it coach.'  And one last thing.  In the very last timeout with 6 seconds, Wojo steps aside with all his coaches for several seconds and the entire team gathers around Rowsey.  And you can clearly tell AR is reminding everyone about their assignments and to r-e-l-a-x and not do something stupid.  He had 100% attention. 

I think I saw a coach and a team grow up a little.  Now it may not salvage the season but I liked every moment of that.
I also think that Rowsey has grown into some what of a player coach/ senior leader role that we'd all hope he'd take.  There's still a little, talk smack with Ben Simmons from the bench in him, but there's no go getting a stupid T after being baited by the other teams walk on that we saw in Madison.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »

I may have missed this, but were you at the game? Or was all this evident from the TV broadcast? If the latter, I need to go back and rewatch.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
I may have missed this, but were you at the game? Or was all this evident from the TV broadcast? If the latter, I need to go back and rewatch.

It was all on TV.....especially the last timeout.....Rowsey talking to the other players....everybody fully engaged.....Elliott asking questions and talking.

Yeah Wojo never shows emotion....https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/965086912988946432

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2018, 03:52:23 PM »

well stated, glow.  i came away with the exact same impressions.