[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I place this all on Wojo.  (Read 13551 times)

jonny09

• Team Captain
Re: I place this all on Wojo.
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 11:51:57 PM »
I'm more than happy to look like a fool here.  Wojo making big adjustments was really the difference.  I've bitched a bunch about no in game adjustments.  Man deserves props for tonight.  Please keep proving me wrong. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »
Where's wee willie?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 11:56:16 PM »
This shouldn't go all on Wojo. He deserves a lot of credit but the team deserves the lionshare. All of them stepped up, especially Sacar and Rowsey. Well done all around.

BS.  When everything goes wrong it's all Wojo's fault, whether he's responsible or not.   When everything goes right it's all Wojo, whether he's responsible or not.  Everything is Wojo all the time.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 11:58:06 PM »
Warriors last three games in Omaha?  Three wins against Creighton. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:38 AM »
This shouldn't go all on Wojo. He deserves a lot of credit but the team deserves the lionshare. All of them stepped up, especially Sacar and Rowsey. Well done all around.

This is true, of course.

And when the team loses, it's true, too.

But it's very difficult to reason with people who think it's all the coach all the time when the team struggles. So those of us who choose not to rip Wojo every time the opponent scores a basket get to give him a thumbs-up when good things happen - and also get to call out the haters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 12:03:48 AM »
More than happy to give a ton of credit to Wojo.  The frustrating thing tho is with our defensive deficiencies and that it has happened over n over why are we now just doing it 30 games in???  SJU last weekend for example, but hey i will take it!!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 12:05:58 AM »
Where's wee willie?

Wins don’t interest whiny Willy.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 12:06:48 AM »
BlueJay fans want to kill their coach, ripping him apart.

http://www.bluejayunderground.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4832&start=60

Yikes. They're even meaner to McD than we are to Wojo....and McD has actually won some postseason games!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 12:07:36 AM »
Yikes. They're even meaner to McD than we are to Wojo....and McD has actually won some postseason games!

A kinder, gentler Scoop

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 12:10:04 AM »

Yep, those are some pretty brutal fans....

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 12:10:23 AM »
A kinder, gentler Scoop
I thought the same thing.  They have an RPI of 24 and their fans think with this loss they are "approaching the bubble".  The last 5 years have made me a humble fan, I gladly switch positions with the Bluejays.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 12:40:12 AM »
A potentially season saving win!

Unfortunately, the injury allowed MU to get back in this game.  This is a blowout loss if Markus does not get injured.

Obviously, we need Markus back ASAP.  But, it has never been more obvious that Markus and Rowsey CANNOT be on the floor together.

Should Howard return this season, the coaching staff needs to figure this out!

This is my biggest concern. Was discussing on Twitter in the first half how our defensive scheme, between the midgets (who can't play zone together) and the switches (left Rowsey 1-on-1 with Hegner in the post and our bigs trying to keep up with their slashers) it was an abject failure. If Howard is available for 40 minutes, do we win this game? I don't think so. It was the defensive change that happened because we had more effective personnel to run a zone.

I will watch the last 12 or so minutes tomorrow. Missed the end, but I do think having only one midget out there helped. I also think going zone helped. Will Wojo be willing to consider zone as a long-term option? I'm skeptical, but I think going forward, we would be better off next year with a zone than all this switching we've been doing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 12:42:37 AM »
This is my biggest concern. Was discussing on Twitter in the first half how our defensive scheme, between the midgets (who can't play zone together) and the switches (left Rowsey 1-on-1 with Hegner in the post and our bigs trying to keep up with their slashers) it was an abject failure. If Howard is available for 40 minutes, do we win this game? I don't think so. It was the defensive change that happened because we had more effective personnel to run a zone.

I will watch the last 12 or so minutes tomorrow. Missed the end, but I do think having only one midget out there helped. I also think going zone helped. Will Wojo be willing to consider zone as a long-term option? I'm skeptical, but I think going forward, we would be better off next year with a zone than all this switching we've been doing.

It was everything. Plus an inspired Rowsey and Sam.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 12:59:54 AM »
Nope! Wins never go to the coach. Only losses.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 01:06:48 AM »

Next year's team should be longer and more athletic, so we'll have more options. I'm hoping we'll have the zone in our back pocket if we need to change things up mid-game, but I think we'll be able to match up better with Morrow, Joey, and Bailey in the lineup.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:41 AM »
Next year's team should be longer and more athletic, so we'll have more options. I'm hoping we'll have the zone in our back pocket if we need to change things up mid-game, but I think we'll be able to match up better with Morrow, Joey, and Bailey in the lineup.

It won't work if we're continuing this switching plan. Markus will get isolated in the post by a 6'10" guy the same way Rowsey did tonight. The Hausers, Heldt, John, and Froling will still be too slow when switched onto slashers on the perimeter.

The occasional switch can provide a mismatch, but what we were trying to do in the first half and in recent games is untenable unless you have five guys with 6'8"+ wingspans and the athleticism and strength to defend 1-5.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2018, 01:22:53 AM »
It won't work if we're continuing this switching plan. Markus will get isolated in the post by a 6'10" guy the same way Rowsey did tonight. The Hausers, Heldt, John, and Froling will still be too slow when switched onto slashers on the perimeter.

The occasional switch can provide a mismatch, but what we were trying to do in the first half and in recent games is untenable unless you have five guys with 6'8"+ wingspans and the athleticism and strength to defend 1-5.

Yeah we can't switch until we have quick 5s and bigger guards. Gotta assume the hope for next year is that Theo will be better and Morrow and him can excel with the hedging. Heldt and Froling are far too slow to do what's being asked. Rowsey and Howard are far too small.

Elliott, Cain, Hauser, Anim are actually all solid defenders.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2018, 02:39:36 AM »
Great win, gutsy performance by the guys on the road with their backs to the wall. Let's try to string two together.

That said, it takes a (game - let's hope nothing more) ending injury to show to Wojo what the collective wisdom of this board has been saying for months - the midgets' playing time together should be limited to the greatest extent possible. IMHO a coach getting paid 7 figures probably should have figured that out prior to one of his studs going down.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 05:33:15 AM »
Sultan

Sacar has shown great improvement over the past couple months. To me, he now has the confidence to finish around the hoop. He has been quite good the last month.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2018, 06:03:44 AM »
Great win, gutsy performance by the guys on the road with their backs to the wall. Let's try to string two together.

That said, it takes a (game - let's hope nothing more) ending injury to show to Wojo what the collective wisdom of this board has been saying for months - the midgets' playing time together should be limited to the greatest extent possible. IMHO a coach getting paid 7 figures probably should have figured that out prior to one of his studs going down.

You said it, 1SE!! This board should get the credit.

vogue65

• All American
Re: I put this win squarely on the coaching staff
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2018, 06:45:55 AM »
Switch to 2-3 zone and the effort

I thought we could not play zone, what have I been missing?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 07:06:35 AM »
Great win.  Thank God Wojo finally, finally  had the team play zone. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »
Sultan

Sacar has shown great improvement over the past couple months. To me, he now has the confidence to finish around the hoop. He has been quite good the last month.
The dunk in the last game should have convinced him, the coaching staff, the other players, the fans, and the entire population that he's legit.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: I put this win squarely on the coaching staff
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2018, 07:33:21 AM »
I thought we could not play zone, what have I been missing?

I think the difference was the Howard injury. If Howard and Rowsey are out there together, the zone likely doesn't work as well. To run it effectively, we need the additional quickness and length we get from guys like Elliott and Cain. It'll be interesting to see how we run it going forward depending on health.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »
BlueJay fans want to kill their coach, ripping him apart.

http://www.bluejayunderground.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4832&start=60

This was my personal favorite from their board:

Re: Marquette Game Thread
Postby CU Final Four » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 am

- Marquette showed its Warrior spirit. Its best player out of the game and they come back to win on the road. Mentally tough.
- Why can’t we handle the zone?
- MF disappeared in the second half.
- WoJo outcoached Mac.
- Very concerned about March.

feedback