[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's seat  (Read 65662 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Wojo's seat
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
Win or lose, Wojo is not going anywhere.
SAorry Goose, he is not getting the job done. Turn around should have begun last year. It did not.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »
SAorry Goose, he is not getting the job done. Turn around should have begun last year. It did not.

We made the ncaa tournament last year. I think thats a bit of a turnaround no?

That said I haven't been sold on Wojo at all. Next year is his last if the ncaa is missed.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »

That said I haven't been sold on Wojo at all. Next year is his last if the ncaa is missed.
k, and lost first game. We went from 20-13 to 19-13 last year. Not much of a turn around. And what are we this year, 13-9, so if we go 6-4, we would be "no improvement"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
k, and lost first game. We went from 20-13 to 19-13 last year. Not much of a turn around. And what are we this year, 13-9, so if we go 6-4, we would be "no improvement"

Um.. doesn't SOS factor in?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #304 on: February 01, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »

That's where I'm at, too

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »
Um.. doesn't SOS factor in?

That concept is too advanced for willie
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #306 on: February 01, 2018, 11:28:18 PM »

I doubt it, especially if we make it this year. However,  if we don't make it next year, that will be the first time that his seat will legitimately warm. The season after that will be the do or die year.

Wojo sold the university on a five year rebuild. So far he has met the season goal every year. He hasn't exceeded them,  but he's met them. I don't think they'd fire him the first time he didn't hit his mark though I could be wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2018, 02:18:02 AM »
100% agree.  The open question is how close is that to happening.  The Athletic Department closely monitors the ratio of 'basketball dollars spent/return on that investment'.  I've heard Bill speak of it personally.  And if you don't think that Lovell is an empirical stats junky.....

Does the new tax rules effect college bball donations? Wonder if this will have an effect on future salaries?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2018, 06:29:41 AM »

First, I don't think we miss the NCAA this year or next year. Second, even if we don't make it next year I don't think he would be gone nor do I think he should. Seat should definitely be warm but I think changing a coach is kind of a nuclear option depending on what is out there to replace Wojo with.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #309 on: February 02, 2018, 06:31:30 AM »
We are a little to slow, a little to short, a little to light, a little to young, a little to nice (not one thug), so we lose a little more than we win. 

The BOT got exactly what they wanted, a class act all the way around.   The low risk approach gets the results we see. 

I think we lose because we are not aggressive or athletic enough.  Can that be coached?

Recently, I really enjoyed watching V.Tec  beat NC, ND and BC.

I vote to stick with Wojo, I like the image. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #310 on: February 02, 2018, 06:34:21 AM »
First, I don't think we miss the NCAA this year or next year. Second, even if we don't make it next year I don't think he would be gone nor do I think he should. Seat should definitely be warm but I think changing a coach is kind of a nuclear option depending on what is out there to replace Wojo with.

Agreed, it is what it is, accept it. 

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #311 on: February 02, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »
Does the new tax rules effect college bball donations? Wonder if this will have an effect on future salaries?

Yes, you can no longer deduct 80% of your seat donation. Colleges are very concerned that this will have a big impact on season ticket sales.  We were given the opportunity to renew our gopher football tickets in December and we grabbed it.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #312 on: February 02, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »
We are a little to slow, a little to short, a little to light, a little to young, a little to nice (not one thug), so we lose a little more than we win. 

Your comment is a lot too light on the second "o" in "to."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #313 on: February 02, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »

The BOT got exactly what they wanted, a class act all the way around.   The low risk approach gets the results we see. 

I think we lose because we are not aggressive or athletic enough.  Can that be coached?

Recently, I really enjoyed watching V.Tec  beat NC, ND and BC.

I vote to stick with Wojo, I like the image.

It can be recruited though. Not saying I disagree with you. I agree stick with wojo, but these are all his guys he and Stan Recruited.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #314 on: February 02, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »

This x100. And not to bump my own post, but we shouldn't even think about going nuclear before Wojo has a chance to run through a full cycle with his guys. If we haven't enjoyed a taste of the good life by the end of the 2019-2020 season, then we need to have this talk.  But in the meantime, anyone that thinks that Marquette firing Wojo before that class graduates wouldn't have a deterrent effect on other prospective coaches woefully overestimates the desirability of the MU job.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #315 on: February 02, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
This x100. And not to bump my own post, but we shouldn't even think about going nuclear before Wojo has a chance to run through a full cycle with his guys. If we haven't enjoyed a taste of the good life by the end of the 2019-2020 season, then we need to have this talk.  But in the meantime, anyone that thinks that Marquette firing Wojo before that class graduates wouldn't have a deterrent effect on other prospective coaches woefully overestimates the desirability of the MU job.

Oh stop it. You and mu03eng and TAMU and a few others with your reasoned takes and your logical conclusions ... you're mucking up a perfectly good panic!!!

I say FIRE WOJO 2 YEARS AGO! Then we kill him (slowly) and eat his entrails!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

source?

• All American
« Reply #316 on: February 02, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »

Yes, you can't deduct the donation anymore. However, I may be wrong (I often am) but I don't believe the B&G fund is used to pay the coach (at least not yet). If I am correct the initial purpose of B&G is to endow every scholarship MU gives (basketball has been covered for a while), then every coaching/training position in the non-revs thus making them revenue neutral, then maybe start endowing endowing basketball positions. I haven't spoken with anyone in the AD about it but that's the impression I get reading the B&G page.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #317 on: February 02, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
I'm with you 100%.  Plus, CBB seasons (like CBB games) are compiled of a series of runs.  Every team goes through a rough patch or two during the season.

One thing i'm curious about is if anyone knows the distribution of the opponent scouting responsibilities.  Its been noted that each assistant is given specific opponents to scout, is there any chance the same person who scouted and put together the game plan for Butler (both games) did it for our other two clunkers (GA and Eastern IL)? 

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #318 on: February 02, 2018, 02:37:26 PM »
Those calling for Wojo's head, who's the alternative?

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #319 on: February 02, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »
Shaka Smart (after fired from Texas) or Tom Crean.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #320 on: February 02, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
Yes, you can't deduct the donation anymore. However, I may be wrong (I often am) but I don't believe the B&G fund is used to pay the coach (at least not yet). If I am correct the initial purpose of B&G is to endow every scholarship MU gives (basketball has been covered for a while), then every coaching/training position in the non-revs thus making them revenue neutral, then maybe start endowing endowing basketball positions. I haven't spoken with anyone in the AD about it but that's the impression I get reading the B&G page.

It doesn't really matter.  It's all money that can be spent somewhere. 

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »
Those calling for Wojo's head, who's the alternative?

Wardle.

Heard some info though that the admin loves Wojo and his seat is ice cold, regardless of NCAAs this year. Not the news I was hoping to hear.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #322 on: February 02, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
Wardle.

Heard some info though that the admin loves Wojo and his seat is ice cold, regardless of NCAAs this year. Not the news I was hoping to hear.

Lets see after the new arena is being used as a selling point to new recruits, it should be the most impressive stadium in the country.  I expect good things down the
line in recruiting because I know one thing, MU has the budget to recruit and Wojo and group work there ass off trying to find good talent.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #323 on: February 02, 2018, 03:23:05 PM »
Any chance we ever get to see Wardle's Braves vs. our Warriors?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »
Wardle.

Why on earth would the administration consider getting rid of him now when all but two of his players are freshmen and sophomores?  With a nice class coming in next year?  All while having zero off-court issues and zero indication of anything shady going on recruiting wise?

And Wardle might end up being a really good coach but we have a couple years to figure out where everyone stands.  Get used to it.