[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498422 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3850 on: October 03, 2018, 12:38:39 AM »
No. But 13 innings in your 33rd straight game, 41st in 42 days is pretty nuts. Oh, and it’s cause winning the season series isn’t enough to break a tie

Cubs choked, they scored no critical runs, and their manager let them down. But the structure that put them in that position in the first place is pretty lame.

Some will call it reactionary, but I’m done with Maddon. I can’t think of the last time I was truly pleased or impressed with what he did. He was terrible in the 2017 playoffs too. He can drive Chili Davis out of town.

Yea I'm with ya on Maddon. Great with young players as shown with both the Rays and the Cubs but a sub par in game manager. I don't think the Cubs fire him, but as I said earlier in the season, offer him a nice cushy front office job.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3851 on: October 03, 2018, 01:08:48 AM »
Curious to see how the Cubs go about this offseason. 2 runs scored total in their two final/biggest games of the year.

They have a big decision to make on Hamels. He still has plenty in the tank, but I can’t see the Cubs picking up the $20 mil option. The Chatwood/Darvish signings really hamstring them going into ‘19. Bryant is going to be an interesting Arb 2 case. The Cubs focus should be to buy out his remaining arbitration years and lock him into his early 30’s. Whispers out there that there’s still some lingering sourness from Bryant’s call up. Baez and Contreras are both arbitration eligible this year as well.

They certainly have the resources to spend, I don’t believe they’re inclined to go into the luxury tax range though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3852 on: October 03, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »
No. But 13 innings in your 33rd straight game, 41st in 42 days is pretty nuts. Oh, and it’s cause winning the season series isn’t enough to break a tie

Cubs choked, they scored no critical runs, and their manager let them down. But the structure that put them in that position in the first place is pretty lame.

Oh please. Cubs had to win one of two at home to get home field advantage through the NL playoffs. That’s after playing the last seven regular season games at home.

And they scored two runs over 22 innings.

Colorado has to fly from Washington in Sunday, to LA on Monday to Chicago on Tuesday.

It is what it is. Complaining about it is pretty lame.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3853 on: October 03, 2018, 06:49:30 AM »
Oh please. Cubs had to win one of two at home to get home field advantage through the NL playoffs. That’s after playing the last seven regular season games at home.

And they scored two runs over 22 innings.

Colorado has to fly from Washington in Sunday, to LA on Monday to Chicago on Tuesday.

It is what it is. Complaining about it is pretty lame.
No kidding, every chance in the world to get it done in your own park. No excuses, the Chubbies just weren’t good enough.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3854 on: October 03, 2018, 07:00:46 AM »
Curious to see how the Cubs go about this offseason. 2 runs scored total in their two final/biggest games of the year.

They have a big decision to make on Hamels. He still has plenty in the tank, but I can’t see the Cubs picking up the $20 mil option. The Chatwood/Darvish signings really hamstring them going into ‘19. Bryant is going to be an interesting Arb 2 case. The Cubs focus should be to buy out his remaining arbitration years and lock him into his early 30’s. Whispers out there that there’s still some lingering sourness from Bryant’s call up. Baez and Contreras are both arbitration eligible this year as well.

They certainly have the resources to spend, I don’t believe they’re inclined to go into the luxury tax range though.

Cubs have boatloads of $$$ if they want to get Harper, Machado or both. They probably won’t. Agree on Hamels. There’s still a grievance out on the Bryant call up, but Boras went out of his way to compliment Maddon when Russell and Bryant were brought up in 2015. Russell is done with the Cubs. I have to think one of Happ, Schwarber or Almora won’t be back. Hopefully Chatwood will figure out his mechanics, Darvish and Morrow come back healthy. Cubs played 9 extra games in 2015, 17 in 2016, 10 in 2017. In a league where every team is looking for the tiniest advantage, the extra rest will be good this season.

Finally, what kind of trade package could you get back for Javy? I can’t think I’m the only cubs fan who thought this season was the statistical outlier... It does get complicated that you would have to find 2 middle infielders now and (jokes aside) his defense at 3 positions is legit.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3855 on: October 03, 2018, 07:08:06 AM »
Listening to the SCORE today and they gave an interesting stat

Team with biggest hitting improvement this year? Boston sans Chili Davis.

Biggest slippage in hitting? Cubbies adding Chili Davis.

I think David Ortiz was kind of a untitled hitting coach with the Red Sox and was the guy a lot of guys went to for help/advice.  When he left after 2017 the team offense took a turn south.  Sox were much more aggressive in the strike zone this year, whereas the past few years they were taking a lot of very hittable pitches for strike one.  I think his leaving helped for sure.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3856 on: October 03, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »
It's .. amusing that none of the Chicago tv news websites have any video of last night's game/wrapup/etc.

I realize the game ended late, but it seems like they decided, nope, not gonna have video of that, see you next year, have some Arby's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3857 on: October 03, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »

Some will call it reactionary, but I’m done with Maddon. I can’t think of the last time I was truly pleased or impressed with what he did. He was terrible in the 2017 playoffs too. He can drive Chili Davis out of town.

Are you suggesting that it was unfair that the Cubs were forced into an extra game to win the division?  ::)

Chi town has it right. They were an undisciplined paper tiger this year. By September the cracks in their armour were apparent. Of the 4 teams playing the extra date on Monday, the 3 best advanced.

And with home field throughout, I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see the Crew claim the pennant.  But it won't be easy.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3858 on: October 03, 2018, 08:38:05 AM »
Are you suggesting that it was unfair that the Cubs were forced into an extra game to win the division?  ::)

Chi town has it right. They were an undisciplined paper tiger this year. By September the cracks in their armour were apparent. Of the 4 teams playing the extra date on Monday, the 3 best advanced.

And with home field throughout, I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see the Crew claim the pennant.  But it won't be easy.

The Brewers are on a roll, they have an excellent bullpen, they added depth, they have home field in an indoor stadium. Starting pitching has been solid but with no DH, starters get you 5-6 innings in the post-season anyway.  The Rockies do have the bats, though, and stealing a road game in a five game series would be big for a team built for Coors Field...in the Battle of the Miller-Coors Brands.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3859 on: October 03, 2018, 08:39:53 AM »
Yea I'm with ya on Maddon. Great with young players as shown with both the Rays and the Cubs but a sub par in game manager. I don't think the Cubs fire him, but as I said earlier in the season, offer him a nice cushy front office job.

Honestly, the questions about Maddon have always been there. I've been reading through the 2016 World Series thread because I recall him making a number of bewildering decisions in the championship year. His use of Chapman, when he did and didn't use Schwarber, a complete inability to play small ball and use bunts in the playoffs, even in his greatest moment of success he did a lot of questionable things. Really, two of the main topics from that thread were Cubs fans questioning Maddon and wades going on (and on and on and on and on) about Arrietta and PEDs. From that thread:

Should we be discussing Maddon's decision to leave Schwarber - career .143/.213/.268  vs lefties - in to hit against Miller with two on and two out in the 8th? Maddon is a great manager and has more often than not pushed the right buttons, but that there was a questionable move.
Joe Maddon should be fired! Baseball 101.  Bunt!
I think Joe forgot what inning it was.
Maddon makes some baffling decisions.
This is all on Maddon. Took Hendricks out too early, took Lester out too early. Not many bullets left in the bullpen.

I can freely admit to not paying nearly as close of attention this year. Winning the WS in 2016 was such a lightening feeling that I don't feel the obsessive October need to zero in on "will this be the year?" But it was clear the offense dried up in September. Whether that was Chili Davis or mismanagement I can't fully say, but I do think moving Maddon to a front office job and looking a different managerial direction is probably called for.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3860 on: October 03, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
The Brewers are on a roll, they have an excellent bullpen, they added depth, they have home field in an indoor stadium. Starting pitching has been solid but with no DH, starters get you 5-6 innings in the post-season anyway.  The Rockies do have the bats, though, and stealing a road game in a five game series would be big for a team built for Coors Field...in the Battle of the Miller-Coors Brands.

I wouldn't be surprised if they win the pennant.  I wouldn't be surprised if they lose to the Rockies.  Baseball can be that way.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #3861 on: October 03, 2018, 08:53:50 AM »
96 hours ago the Cubs had a 1 game lead for home field

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3862 on: October 03, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if they win the pennant.  I wouldn't be surprised if they lose to the Rockies.  Baseball can be that way.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3863 on: October 03, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »

I was definitely pulling for the Cubs as I thought they'd be the easier team to beat.  You can blame it fatigue, injuries, or whatever, but they came into October playing poorly relative to others.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3864 on: October 03, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »

I believe that MLB has always used a a tie-breaker in the case of ties.  I think the only exception to this was during the one Wild Card era when there was a tie at the top a division and one of those teams was guaranteed the Wild Card spot.  Since both teams were going to the Division Series, it was seen as unnecessary.

(Currently if both Wild Card teams are tied, they use tie-breakers as well.)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3865 on: October 03, 2018, 09:25:04 AM »
Cubs have boatloads of $$$ if they want to get Harper, Machado or both.

This was my first thought as well (and as a Brewer fan, it scares the heck out of me).  Off-seasons are reactionary, and the Cubs offense was bad for long stretches this season.  Slotting in Machado (there's a spot open at SS) or Harper (push Hayward to center) would be a huge boon for that offense, and unlike ~24 clubs in MLB, the Cubs can afford to go after one or both of them.

So I'll be cheering for everyone else (Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, Nats) to pull out their pocketbooks and write a bigger check.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #3866 on: October 03, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »
That sucked, but wait until next year!
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #3867 on: October 03, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »
ESPN & ESPN2 combined to deliver a 5.1 metered market rating for Tuesday's Rockies/Cubs.
18.6 rating in Denver, 18.1 rating in Chicago, 11.9 rating in Milwaukee.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:52:31 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3868 on: October 03, 2018, 09:46:14 AM »

Same here, Brewers have a different, better feel than I had in 2011 but who ever knows, I am enjoying the ride as it should be.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3869 on: October 03, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »
I thought the Rockies would be the team no one wanted to face in the NL playoffs, but I have to wonder what they've got left in the tank. At some point, the physical/emotional toll of travel/high stress games has to catch up with them (right?).  FWIW, I think they lucked out a little bit in that they didn't have to get on a plane to go up to Milwaukee, but have to think this sets up well for the Brewers. Baseball will be baseball though, so who knows. Part of me would love to see a Brewers/A's World Series, be cool to have some fresh blood competing for a title.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3870 on: October 03, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »
I thought the Rockies would be the team no one wanted to face in the NL playoffs, but I have to wonder what they've got left in the tank. At some point, the physical/emotional toll of travel/high stress games has to catch up with them (right?).  FWIW, I think they lucked out a little bit in that they didn't have to get on a plane to go up to Milwaukee, but have to think this sets up well for the Brewers. Baseball will be baseball though, so who knows. Part of me would love to see a Brewers/A's World Series, be cool to have some fresh blood competing for a title.

As a fan of the sport, I want to see Brewers vs. As more than any other series. Two new faces, small market teams, and two great bullpens.

As a Brewer fan living in Texas, I want to see Brewers vs. Astros so I can drive down for a game!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3871 on: October 03, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
As a fan of the sport, I want to see Brewers vs. As more than any other series. Two new faces, small market teams, and two great bullpens.

As a Brewer fan living in Texas, I want to see Brewers vs. Astros so I can drive down for a game!

Brewers-As would have the potentially to fundamentally change baseball.  Bullpen use has been up across the league lately and especially in the postseason (see: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/forget-starting-pitchers-its-bullpen-season/ ).  The As and Brewers are two teams leading that charge, along with Tampa.  I'm not convinced a single starting pitcher would throw more than 4 innings in a start.  Bullpen use might jump the 50% threshold.

MLB does not want Brewers-As.  Bullpen-heavy games are longer with less scoring.  Brewers and As are small markets. 

I say screw MLB.  Let's make it happen.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3872 on: October 03, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
When do teams have to announce their 25? Two preductions: Crew goes with 12 pitchers and Santana earns the last spot.

Thumbs up to the 40ish players that got us here. Freddy, Eric, Keon, etc.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3873 on: October 03, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
When do teams have to announce their 25? Two preductions: Crew goes with 12 pitchers and Santana earns the last spot.

Thumbs up to the 40ish players that got us here. Freddy, Eric, Keon, etc.

I think Davies, Freddy, and Woodruff make the cut, 13 pitchers. I think with the way Counsell likes to manage, he will opt for more arms. If he wants an extra bat I think the pecking order is Santana, Broxton, Thames. All played important roles in getting here, but unfortunately I think they end up on the outside looking in.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3874 on: October 03, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
A few thoughts ...

1. I'm all in on the Crew. I think they have a talented, entertaining team. And given that I haven't really been a fan of any MLB team for more than 3 decades, I might as well pull for the team that gave me many great memories during my years at Marquette.

2. Is it wrong for me to root for the Brewers to win the World Series while hoping Braun goes 0-for-70 this postseason?

3. MLB and the networks have to be very disappointed. I think Brewers-Rockies will be a good, fun series, but you know the honchos wanted the Cubbies. Cue Mick Jagger: You can't always get ...

4. Cubs could have extended their season by winning either one of two home games (in which they ended up getting excellent pitching), but they managed to score only 2 runs in 22 innings.

5. Extend that back to Saturday's 2-1 loss to the Cards, and the Cubs scored only 1 run in each of three crucial games - games in which their pitchers gave up 2, 3 and 2 runs. They win any one of those games, they are still alive.

6. To paraphrase ex-Twinkie great Gary Gaetti: It's tough to hit with both hands wrapped around your throat!

7. Agree with those who talk about this being an extremely interesting offseason for the Cubs. My son - yuuuge Cubbie fan - is convinced they have to get either Machado or Harper.

8. I liked the comment about Baez's final at-bat. He employed my thinking on the tee box: Close your eyes and swing hard as you can, just in case you hit it. I guess it didn't dawn on him that if he gets a l'il ol' base hit and then steals second, the Cubs could be in good position to tie it. Hell of a player, though - one of the 10 best I saw this year for sure. I wouldn't even think about trading him.

9. Before the 3-2 pitch to Gore in the 13th, A-Rod said the Cubs should have given Gore the take sign. If it was a strike, so be it, he'd be out. But A-Rod felt it wasn't worth taking the chance that such a terrible hitter would swing at Ball 4. I nodded in agreement. 5 seconds later ... Strike 3 on a ball almost in the dirt.

10. Did anybody else catch the graphic on ESPN that Heyward has the lowest postseason batting average in MLB history - .149? Yikes! But he does give a hell of a speech during a WS rain delay.

11. ESPN is saying today that Maddon will be back. I moved away from Chicago several years before he arrived, so I have no idea how he is regarded by the players, coaches, execs. But the Cubs did win their first championship in 108 years under his watch, and they have made the postseason four straight years for the first time ever. Unless there is a larger issue (players quit on him, etc), seems only fair to give him another year, especially since they are paying him big bucks anyway. This almost surely means Chili will have to fall on his sword, which probably is justified.

12. Go Brewers!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback