[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 89649 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #475 on: November 01, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »
Play for tonight. Don't worry about tomorrow.

Yep.

Lester has 7 and 8 tomorrow if necessary

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #476 on: November 01, 2016, 10:12:52 PM »
CT Warrior...cheers to good health, all the best.

Why is Chapman in this game???

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #477 on: November 01, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »
Maddon makes some baffling decisions.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #478 on: November 01, 2016, 10:39:37 PM »
The Chapman decision ultimately worked fine. Had he pitched a 4-out save with 20 pitches, no one would be questioning his availability. He'll be fine if they need him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #479 on: November 01, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »
Damn, now here I am all invested again. Tomorrow will be nervy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #480 on: November 01, 2016, 10:44:50 PM »
Cubolawubola.

Damn.

Go Cubs go, go Cubs go....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #481 on: November 01, 2016, 10:56:59 PM »
Uno para ir

🏀

• All American
« Reply #482 on: November 01, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »
Wrigleyville tomorrow boys!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #483 on: November 01, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
Some very questionable decisions by Joe tonight. It worked out.

Tomorrow is going to be insane.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #484 on: November 01, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »
Uno para ir

Marla, ahhhh.

I gave her a Whopper once....

real chili 83

• All American

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #486 on: November 02, 2016, 05:27:18 AM »
I'm watching the secondary market for tickets to Hamilton for tonight. Figured there may never be a cheaper night than tonight to go.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #487 on: November 02, 2016, 07:43:21 AM »
This would be a good point ... if it were true.

Koufax was still nothing special the first several years in L.A. For example, in 1960 (the Dodgers' third season in L.A. and his sixth as a big-leaguer), he was 8-13 with a 3.91 ERA, 197 strikeouts and 100 walks. Even the following year, when he went 18-13, he had a 3.52 ERA and walked 96.

It was when he realized that he didn't have to throw the baseball a bazillion mph on every pitch and learned how to pitch rather than throw that he truly became the Koufax of baseball lore.

In his final 5 seasons (1962-66), Koufax went 111-34 with a 1.95 ERA and a .0926 WHIP. Yes, the high mound had much to do with it, and yes so did pitcher-friendly Dodger Stadium, but none of the other Dodger pitchers (not even Drysdale) were putting up Koufax's insane numbers. Mostly, it was his ability to harness his incredible stuff that made him what we all think of when we talk about Koufax. He averaged only 63 walks in an average of 275 IP those last 5 years.

P.S.: Glad your kidney transplant went well. I wish you a full, speedy recovery, my fellow Nutmeg Stater!

Except they didn't play in Dodger Stadium in 1960 and 1961.  They moved into Dodger Stadium in 1962, which is exactly when his career took off.  Those last 5 years are exactly the 5 years he pitched in Dodger Stadium.  They played in the LA Memorial Coliseum before that, which due to odd configuration was an excellent hitters park.

Dodgers ERA in LAMC (59-62):  3.93
Dodgers ERA in Dodger Stadium (62-66):  2.97
Dodgers OPS in LAMC (59-62):  .725
Dodgers OPS in Dodger Stadium (52-66):  .674

The point is that Koufax was better than he was given credit for earlier in his career because he pitched in a great hitters environment, and not as good as he is given credit for his last five years because he pitched in one of the best pitchers parks in history.  His spike in performance was real, but not as pronounced as the raw statistics make it seem.

Thanks for your well wishes.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:12:26 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #488 on: November 02, 2016, 07:48:40 AM »
I'm watching the secondary market for tickets to Hamilton for tonight. Figured there may never be a cheaper night than tonight to go.

I didn't think of this...but the hawks tickets on Cubs game nights seemed to be super cheap the past couple weeks! This actually might work out for you. Brilliant idea!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #489 on: November 02, 2016, 08:06:12 AM »
The Chapman decision ultimately worked fine. Had he pitched a 4-out save with 20 pitches, no one would be questioning his availability. He'll be fine if they need him.

Initially, I thought it was a strange decision but I've come around to thinking it made sense.

1) You're up 5 runs, there's 2 on, 2 out with their best hitter up and the heart of the order to follow. Bring in your best pitcher, shut the door and keep the lead right where it is.

2) Chapman is a rental player who was brought in as the "missing piece" to a potential champion. Use him. He's not going to be back with the Cubs next season. What are you saving him for? He only threw 20 pitches. He did that in about one-third of his outings this season. He'll be fine for tonight.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #490 on: November 02, 2016, 08:09:29 AM »
Well damn...I really hoped the Indians could close it out last night.  It certainly wasn't Tomlin's best night.  Even the guys he got out in that first inning hit the ball pretty hard.  The most troubling thing to me, as an Indians fan, is that the Cubs bats seem to have heated up.

Should be a heck of a Game 7.  If you would have told me at the start that for Game 7 the Indians would have Kluber on the hill, Miller on three days rest and Shaw and Allen on two days rest, I'd have taken it.  Not sure if it'll be enough to get it done, but given the injuries the Indians have had on their pitching staff, it's pretty much the best set up they could have possibly hoped for.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #491 on: November 02, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »
The fabled decline of football must predicate itself upon the simplicity it shares not with the transcendent complexity of the other great sports which with irregular recurrence manifests onto the visible spectrum in what the most humble revere and refer to as a "Game 7."

Piffle, or not piffle?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #492 on: November 02, 2016, 10:15:26 AM »
Well damn...I really hoped the Indians could close it out last night.  It certainly wasn't Tomlin's best night.  Even the guys he got out in that first inning hit the ball pretty hard.  The most troubling thing to me, as an Indians fan, is that the Cubs bats seem to have heated up.

Should be a heck of a Game 7.  If you would have told me at the start that for Game 7 the Indians would have Kluber on the hill, Miller on three days rest and Shaw and Allen on two days rest, I'd have taken it.  Not sure if it'll be enough to get it done, but given the injuries the Indians have had on their pitching staff, it's pretty much the best set up they could have possibly hoped for.

The games have gone how I thought they would with the exception of game 3, which I thought the Cubs would win (So I thought the Cubs would take the series 4 games to 2).  Tonight depends on what Kluber has left in the tank.  He needs to give them 5 or 6 innings and 1 run.  I normally would worry about Hendricks given his relative inexperience but he hasn't appeared to be phased by much of anything so far. 

I think tonight is a toss-up but momentum is on Cubs side.  Cubs 3, Indians 1.  My son is a die hard Indians fan so I'll be rooting that I got this wrong.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #493 on: November 02, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
Yep.

Lester has 7 and 8 tomorrow if necessary

Lester, Lackey, and probably Arrieta are available tonight, as well as Chapman. I think Lester goes full Bumgarner this evening.

Yesterday I heard that teams which force a Game 7 win 70% of the time.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #494 on: November 02, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »

Catch game 7 tonight and see Hamilton in the summer. Tons of tickets still available at face.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #495 on: November 02, 2016, 10:27:36 AM »
The games have gone how I thought they would with the exception of game 3, which I thought the Cubs would win (So I thought the Cubs would take the series 4 games to 2).  Tonight depends on what Kluber has left in the tank.  He needs to give them 5 or 6 innings and 1 run.  I normally would worry about Hendricks given his relative inexperience but he hasn't appeared to be phased by much of anything so far. 

I think tonight is a toss-up but momentum is on Cubs side.  Cubs 3, Indians 1.  My son is a die hard Indians fan so I'll be rooting that I got this wrong.

Both teams would LOVE for their starter to at least get into the 5th with, at worst, the game tied. Cleveland could easily get 4+ innings out of Shaw, Miller and Allen while Lester and Chapman could do the same for the Cubs.

It should be a fun night!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #496 on: November 02, 2016, 10:39:46 AM »

See Brew strange things can happen. Good Luck tonight.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #497 on: November 02, 2016, 11:12:56 AM »
One more win.  We got this.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #498 on: November 02, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »
Going to old crow in wrigleyville for the game. Anyone else going?
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #499 on: November 02, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »
Going to old crow in wrigleyville for the game. Anyone else going?

Gman's.