[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 89520 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:34:57 AM »
As we say in Chicago, "vote early and vote often."

real chili 83

• All American

MUEng92

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »
Well, since you asked... as a 40+ year Cub fan, I sometimes wonder what it's like to be able to fully enjoy your team's season when they are playing well.  It is so mentally taxing to have to actively push back the feeling that you are walking on a carpet that might be covering up a bottomless pit and that carpet might fall in at any moment.

I did a pretty good job this year.  This was the most fun I've had following the team.  They seem like genuinely nice guys (well except for 1-2 huge exceptions) who are having fun AND winning. 

That said I still think they have a less than 50% chance of winning the WS at this point so I have to vote no.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 06:52:31 AM »
First the Sports Illustrated cover, now this

The jinx is in
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:04:39 AM »
I think this is the best cubs team in my lifetime.   I have no rational reason for this , but my gut says the curse continues.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:25:59 AM »
Going to the games tonight and tomorrow.  Bought a bleacher for tonight's game and going on season tickets that I split tomorrow.  Focus will be a problem at work today.

Was hoping to face the Mets but time to put an end to the Giants even-year crap.  And tee of on Samardzija tomorrow. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
Well, since you asked... as a 40+ year Cub fan, I sometimes wonder what it's like to be able to fully enjoy your team's season when they are playing well.  It is so mentally taxing to have to actively push back the feeling that you are walking on a carpet that might be covering up a bottomless pit and that carpet might fall in at any moment.

I did a pretty good job this year.  This was the most fun I've had following the team.  They seem like genuinely nice guys (well except for 1-2 huge exceptions) who are having fun AND winning. 

That said I still think they have a less than 50% chance of winning the WS at this point so I have to vote no.

The playoffs are a crapshoot.  If you meant just less than 50% odds you take that all day, every day. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
I think the Cubs are built for these short series.  Remind me of the Red Sox teams that Theo put together.  If I were to bet, I think they will win.  Biggest issue would be the Nationals.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »
Going to the games tonight and tomorrow.  Bought a bleacher for tonight's game and going on season tickets that I split tomorrow.  Focus will be a problem at work today.

Was hoping to face the Mets but time to put an end to the Giants even-year crap.  And tee of on Samardzija tomorrow.

Spoken like a young Cubs fan!

No matter how hard we try, us old-timers (~ age 35+) can't help thinking about how bad it is for the Cubs that they face the playoff-tested Giants in an even year and how they're likely to get shutout by ex-Cub Jeff Samardzija and even if they somehow get past SF, they'll get beat by Dusty Baker in the NLCS. We tend to think that way because, for the most part, that's ALWAYS how it's gone for us...and for our parents...and for many of us our grandparents. Being a Cubs fan isn't easy  ;)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »

Similar. I've tried to separate the regular season from the playoffs this year. The regular season has been a ton of fun, and no matter what happens this month, I'm trying to not let it invade that experience.

Probably won't work.

I'm nervous.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 10:19:16 AM »
I think the Cubs are built for these short series.  Remind me of the Red Sox teams that Theo put together.  If I were to bet, I think they will win.  Biggest issue would be the Nationals.

Not worried about the nats. The cubs put the smack on them plenty. I'm worried about the giants and dodgers.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »
The Cubs are the favorites, however, they only have a 20% of winning the World Series.

There is still an 80% shot they don't win it all.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »

I'll be there Saturday in the upper deck. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 10:49:28 AM »
Spoken like a young Cubs fan!

No matter how hard we try, us old-timers (~ age 35+) can't help thinking about how bad it is for the Cubs that they face the playoff-tested Giants in an even year and how they're likely to get shutout by ex-Cub Jeff Samardzija and even if they somehow get past SF, they'll get beat by Dusty Baker in the NLCS. We tend to think that way because, for the most part, that's ALWAYS how it's gone for us...and for our parents...and for many of us our grandparents. Being a Cubs fan isn't easy  ;)

I'm 40 - I wish I was young.  I understand the pain, believe me.  My grandpa is the reason I started watching the Cubs as a kid and he is no longer here, so there's a real emotional connection to my fandom. 

I just choose not to think that way anymore.  This is a new era and what has happened in the past has no impact on what's going to happen tonight or in the future.  I respect the Giants and would have rather faced the Mets but the Cubs are the better team. 

The post probably came off as overconfident, which I am not.  I just don't want that fear to ruin the experience.     

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »
I'll be there Saturday in the upper deck.

Nice.  Section 108 for me tomorrow. Friday and Saturday night baseball at Wrigley will be something else. 

I need a drink already. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »
Not worried about the nats. The cubs put the smack on them plenty. I'm worried about the giants and dodgers.

Kind of like how the Cubs went 7-0 against the Mets last season?

The post probably came off as overconfident, which I am not.  I just don't want that fear to ruin the experience.     

There it is! I haven't reached that point yet. I think I just need the games to actually start. That's when I can finally get out of my head and watch things play out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »
Sox fan here and avid fan of Billy Goats, just moved to Lakeview for one year so this is the only time in my whole life I'll root for the cubs. Don't let me down. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 11:52:53 AM »
I'm 40 - I wish I was young.  I understand the pain, believe me.  My grandpa is the reason I started watching the Cubs as a kid and he is no longer here, so there's a real emotional connection to my fandom. 

I just choose not to think that way anymore.  This is a new era and what has happened in the past has no impact on what's going to happen tonight or in the future.  I respect the Giants and would have rather faced the Mets but the Cubs are the better team. 

[/color]

My Yanks are in a mini drought, but will be back with that 28th championship. I wonder if our drought will end before the Cubs. I do love Wrigley; one of the best places to watch a ballgame.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:54:29 AM by muwarrior69 »

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 01:14:26 PM »
It will be fun to watch the Cubs and their fans get crushed. Again.
#SouthSide
#BartmanIsMyHero

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »
#SouthSide
#BartmanIsMyHero

I used to like you.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »

There it is! I haven't reached that point yet. I think I just need the games to actually start. That's when I can finally get out of my head and watch things play out.

Don't get me wrong - I'm already incredibly nervous and I'm sure there's that small part of silly fear somewhere in the back of my mind.  I'll be very surprise if they're not ready. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
[/color]

My Yanks are in a mini drought, but will be back with that 28th championship. I wonder if our drought will end before the Cubs. I do love Wrigley; one of the best places to watch a ballgame.

The Cubs are built to last so while nothing is guaranteed I think the Cubs will have multiple shots at it over the next 5-7 years if they don't do it this year. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »
#SouthSide
#BartmanIsMyHero

::)

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 01:37:57 PM »
Sox fan here and avid fan of Billy Goats, just moved to Lakeview for one year so this is the only time in my whole life I'll root for the cubs. Don't let me down.

Unfortunately, that's what they've been doing to the Cubs fan base for over a century. The reality is most teams do the same. You have a competitive environment where 28-29 teams are considered losers and 1-2 are not, if your fan base can "settle" for winning the league title. Except for maybe the Yankees and Giants (the past decade, at least), fans of every single team will say, "classic team x to lose this series and let me down, blah, blah blah."

I live in Lakeview too, and I'm a diehard, so I hope they don't let you down either.

feedback