[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 89607 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
Let's finish this off tonight, Jake. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »
Wow, Arietta. First home run Bumgarner ever gave up to a pitcher.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bma77

• Walk-On
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 09:55:26 PM »
Cubs look great

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 12:24:29 AM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2016, 12:28:20 AM »

Did you post before or after HR in top of 9th?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2016, 08:02:42 AM »
After

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
If the Cubs lose tonight, does a whiff of panic, harking back to 1984 and 2003, set in?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »
If the Cubs lose tonight, does a whiff of panic, harking back to 1984 and 2003, set in?

Any team in the history of baseball would feel "a whiff of panic," if facing an elimination game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2016, 08:06:11 PM »

Of course. Nature of a series going from 2-0 to 2-2 and facing a pitcher that had a great outing against you a week earlier.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »
Thanks for Addison and for sucking every time the Cubs face you, Jeff.

I think that is what you meant, going back to our previous conversation this year.   ;)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2016, 10:11:31 PM »
Any team in the history of baseball would feel "a whiff of panic," if facing an elimination game.

Really?  Have you ever heard of the San Francisco Giants? 

Edit:  Having a terrible bullpen isn't the same as panicking.

Double Edit: Maybe that was a terrible pen made worse by panic.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:34:47 PM by buckchuckler »

brandx

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2016, 11:22:13 PM »
Two guys who I think belong among the top 5 managers in the game - Showalter & Bochy - made the moves that cost their teams a chance to move on.

If I am managing the Cubs, I have to get to the point where Will Smith needs to come into the game. If I get there, I am going to win. And making the move to pinch hit for a guy who had 95 Ribbies with the game on the line got then the matchup they needed.

As a Brewer fan, I was happy to see Will Smith traded. He was the last guy I wanted on the mound in a close game. He almost always had good numbers, but I thought they were always better than the actual pitcher.

Next? I predict Cubs in 5 or 6 no matter who they play. Tonight was the kind of game that Al said you always had to have at some point to win a championship.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2016, 11:35:31 PM »
I agree, the Cubs should cruise to the WS.  You would have to combine the Nats and Dodgers to have a team that could beat the Cubs. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2016, 11:53:09 PM »
I agree, the Cubs should cruise to the WS.  You would have to combine the Nats and Dodgers to have a team that could beat the Cubs.

Look at you trying to jinx the Cubs.  :)

What a comeback. And not having to face Kershaw or Scherzer in game 1 is nice. Very nice. Either team will be very tough.

And Conor f'n Gillaspie?!? 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:16 PM »
I think that is what you meant, going back to our previous conversation this year.   ;)

He's no Shields!  :D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2016, 12:03:57 AM »
Fun series to watch, especially if, like me, one didn't really care who won. I just wanted compelling baseball, and the Cubbies and Giants provided it.

After Rizzo walked, I actually said out loud to my dog, "Zobrist is going to tie it with a homer." I was wrong, but not by that much.

If you don't believe me, ask my dog. Or ask Hannity - your choice.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2016, 12:11:06 AM »
Query: Were those Cub fans who were opposed to the signing of Chapman rooting for him to blow the save?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2016, 01:20:30 AM »
Query: Were those Cub fans who were opposed to the signing of Chapman rooting for him to blow the save?

The Cubs didn't sign Chapman.

To answer your question, I didn't like the trade but I was absolutely rooting for the team to win the game.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »

I would have been fine with him blowing the save and the Cubs winning in extras.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2016, 08:23:34 AM »
Two guys who I think belong among the top 5 managers in the game - Showalter & Bochy - made the moves that cost their teams a chance to move on.

If I am managing the Cubs, I have to get to the point where Will Smith needs to come into the game. If I get there, I am going to win. And making the move to pinch hit for a guy who had 95 Ribbies with the game on the line got then the matchup they needed.

As a Brewer fan, I was happy to see Will Smith traded. He was the last guy I wanted on the mound in a close game. He almost always had good numbers, but I thought they were always better than the actual pitcher.

Next? I predict Cubs in 5 or 6 no matter who they play. Tonight was the kind of game that Al said you always had to have at some point to win a championship.

Bochy is going into the HOF as a manager but he botched that 9th inning.

Coghlan is hitting .195 vs righties on the season (.120 vs LHP!) but you have to know that Maddon is going to swap him out once a pitching change is made. Take your chances with Coghlan against a righty in that situation. Later, how do you pitch to Baez with first open and Ross on deck? Are you scared of Miguel Montero or Tommy La Stella as a PH?

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the moves but I couldn't believe what I was watching for a number of reasons!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2016, 09:21:48 AM »

Coghlan is hitting .195 vs righties on the season (.120 vs LHP!) but you have to know that Maddon is going to swap him out once a pitching change is made. Take your chances with Coghlan against a righty in that situation. Later, how do you pitch to Baez with first open and Ross on deck? Are you scared of Miguel Montero or Tommy La Stella as a PH?

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the moves but I couldn't believe what I was watching for a number of reasons!

Not to mention that he tried to get too cute with a fastball, missed his spot, and Baez put it into center.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »

Not to mention that he tried to get too cute with a fastball, missed his spot, and Baez put it into center.

True. It rarely ends well when a slider pitcher throws a fastball to a pure fastball hitter. Smoltz was beside himself.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »

Ross had a home run and 2 rbi's in the game. As well as being an excellent but with no outs. It would have been stupid to put runners on first and second with no outs with an incredible bunter at the plate.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »
Ross had a home run and 2 rbi's in the game. As well as being an excellent but with no outs. It would have been stupid to put runners on first and second with no outs with an incredible bunter at the plate.

There was 1 out, the game was tied and the potential winning run was already on second. I'd take my chances with Ross (or a LH pinch hitter) over Baez.

brandx

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
There was 1 out, the game was tied and the potential winning run was already on second. I'd take my chances with Ross (or a LH pinch hitter) over Baez.

Every time!! It was a no-brainer.

feedback