[Today at 05:22:31 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 89424 times)

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 01:40:07 PM »
Going to the games tonight and tomorrow.  Bought a bleacher for tonight's game and going on season tickets that I split tomorrow.  Focus will be a problem at work today.

Was hoping to face the Mets but time to put an end to the Giants even-year crap.  And tee of on Samardzija tomorrow.

I'll be in the CF bleachers tonight too! It'll be my first play-off game.

Been trying not to think about it much, even though I'm decked out in Cubs gear, or focus would have been a real issue this morning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 01:54:01 PM »
Would be nice to see the Giants staff do as the Mets did last year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
Here's an interesting question to ponder.  IF the Cubs win the pennant (not done in most folks lifetime) but fail to win the Series will that be considered success or failure by their faithful?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »
I'll be in the CF bleachers tonight too! It'll be my first play-off game.

Been trying not to think about it much, even though I'm decked out in Cubs gear, or focus would have been a real issue this morning.

I've got two hours left before I head home and start hydrating.  I'm in section 306 tonight in left-center.

You'll absolutely love the atmosphere tonight. 

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »
Here's an interesting question to ponder.  IF the Cubs win the pennant (not done in most folks lifetime) but fail to win the Series will that be considered success or failure by their faithful?

I'd call it a success, Glow.

Obviously, the World Series is the goal, but that's doing something that hasn't been done in 69 years, the lifetime of most fans. Additionally, the core returns next year, so it's not like their opportunity is gone forever.

Side note:  I searched high and low last year for a radio clip of the Cubs winning the pennant in '45 and came up empty, but I stumbled into an interview with Pat Hughes who says there's no record of a radio broadcast. So he'll have the opportunity to make the Cubs first pennant winning call, assuming it happens in his tenure. Radio was barely invented, and certainly not used for sports, back in 1908. Pretty wild.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 02:08:56 PM »
Would be nice to see the Giants staff do as the Mets did last year.

It would be nice for you to shut your filthy whore mouth but we don't always get what we want.   :)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 02:09:42 PM »

I would be very disappointed but I certainly wouldn't consider it a failure. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »

As of now, I'd consider it a success. Feelings will likely change if it were to happen though. Also the how of it plays a big role.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »
Nail biter tonight.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 10:45:48 PM »
Pence reminds me of Rusty Staub

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 10:50:52 PM »
W

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »
Geez, Pete Rose on Fox.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 11:12:02 PM »
Let the goats out of the barn

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 11:55:44 PM »
Let the goats out of the barn

I love the reactions after this game. 1-0 win, it seems like the WS is a foregone conclusion on social media. Had Pence hit a 2-run homer, it would be disaster and the Cubs are capitulating.

These 5-game series are a bitch for teams. Game 1 is just immense. Based on the first few days, this will be a fun playoffs.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 12:21:20 AM »
I love the reactions after this game. 1-0 win, it seems like the WS is a foregone conclusion on social media. Had Pence hit a 2-run homer, it would be disaster and the Cubs are capitulating.

These 5-game series are a bitch for teams. Game 1 is just immense. Based on the first few days, this will be a fun playoffs.

Social media is pretty accurate.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
2 of the last 25 teams with the best record have won the series so yes, it's a crap shoot. You just have to get to the playoffs as many times as possible and the Cubs are built to do that. If it's not this year I think it'll be in the next 4 or 5 years.
Certainly better not to have to wait.....Go Cubbies.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
Chicago Cubs TV Ratings Have Exploded

http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/10/06/chicago-cubs-tv-ratings-have-exploded/

This ties nicely to your other thread as a reason why baseball ratings aren't suffering the way football ratings are. First, these playoffs have been fantastic on-field product, unlike the NFL. Second, there is a fascination with one of the great sports stories in American sports history. I'll be very curious to see how Cubs/Giants game 3 with Arrieta and Bumgarner on the mound does against Monday Night Football, especially if the Cubs have a chance to clinch.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »
Samardzija sucked every time I saw him pitch for the Cubs. Dennis Eckersly level of suck.  Let's hope he keeps it up tonight.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2016, 08:08:01 PM »
True to form.

bma77

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2016, 09:44:31 PM »
This ties nicely to your other thread as a reason why baseball ratings aren't suffering the way football ratings are. First, these playoffs have been fantastic on-field product, unlike the NFL. Second, there is a fascination with one of the great sports stories in American sports history. I'll be very curious to see how Cubs/Giants game 3 with Arrieta and Bumgarner on the mound does against Monday Night Football, especially if the Cubs have a chance to clinch.

Can you point to the MLB players taking a knee during the anthem and a massive social effort to boycott the MLB.  In other words, the poor comparison you just made where none of that is happening in the MLB, but is in the NFL.

Are baseball fans not impacted by the elections, only NFL fans?   

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2016, 11:26:15 PM »
Thanks for Addison and for sucking every time the Cubs face you, Jeff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2016, 11:29:06 PM »
Chicago Cubs TV Ratings Have Exploded

http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/10/06/chicago-cubs-tv-ratings-have-exploded/

If the Cubs had the White Sox's record and the Bears were looking like a reincarnation of the '85 Super Bowl Shufflers, I guarantee that Bears ratings would be through the stratosphere in Chicago and Cubs ratings would be down.

And I'd posit that would have been the case even if the Bears' backup QB had taken a knee during the anthem.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2016, 01:11:50 AM »
Can you point to the MLB players taking a knee during the anthem and a massive social effort to boycott the MLB.  In other words, the poor comparison you just made where none of that is happening in the MLB, but is in the NFL.

Are baseball fans not impacted by the elections, only NFL fans?

Sure. Not sure it's a valid comparison, but knock yourself out. As MU82 noted, if the Bears were 4-0 and steam rolling and the Cubs were home, I'm confident you'd see a ratings reversal in Chicago, even if Colin Kaepernick himself was the one leading them to victories.

And it's entirely possible that baseball fans are less impacted by the elections. First, October is baseball's biggest month. It's the freaking playoffs. If they are putting out a good product, it stands to reason that their fans will tune in, and said fans are accustomed to politics running concurrent to their season as it happens every election year. For the NFL, this time of year simply isn't as important, and statistics have shown that the NFL has had ratings dips in election years in the past. Maybe NFL fans are just more politically conscious. Who knows?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2016, 08:20:58 AM »
I will also point out that the NFL is having problems with its *national* games.  Those are games where fans are largely not tuning in to "their team," but to a game that they watch for the sake of watching football.  Those games have been bad, and even then, other forms of entertainment can draw away attention.  Viewers don't have loyalty to those games.

The regional ratings have only slipped slightly.  Those are more likely to be games where "their team" is playing.  People are largely still watching those games regardless of the quality, etc.

For instance, tonight's NFL game is going to be a disaster in the ratings.  I will watch because I'm a Packer fan.  I would watch the debate otherwise, and even now I will likely switch back and forth.  If the debate gets interesting and the game less so, I will likely keep it on.