[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 497487 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
MLB 2018 Season
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
Thought I'd start up a new thread....This is the slowest start to an offseason that I can remember.

New rumor today that SF is willing to take on all of Stanton's contract.  Seems that deal is really holding things up. 

What are you hoping or expecting your team to accomplish this offseason? 

I'm interested to see how the Cubs address the rotation, the bullpen, and if they end up trading a young hitter, which I don't necessarily think is as likely as a lot of people seem to. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
Once the Stanton situation gets worked out and Ohtani signs, things will definitely start to pick up. This MLB offseason is similar to when LeBron and Carmelo were UFAs. Every team seems to be waiting for the first domino to fall before making any significant moves.

I really think that Alex Cobb ends up with the Cubs. He has connections with Maddon and Hickey and would likely come at a reasonable price. I also wouldn't be surprised if they gave Tyler Chatwood a serious look. He's had some injury issues but he's only 28 and had a 3.49 ERA outside of Denver last season. Former Theo draft pick Clay Buchholz could be an option on an incentive-laden deal as well. They also still have Eddie Butler who was adequate in 11 starts last season before getting injured at AAA.

In terms of relievers, Addison Reed and Brandon Morrow appear to be pretty high on their list. I'd also anticipate that they're expecting Justin Wilson to bounce back from his awful Cub cameo last season. As ugly as it was, his FIP was still just 3.72. An under-the-radar signing could be Steve Cishek who finished 2017 pitching light's out under Hickey in TB. I definitely don't like the idea of dealing Russell, Baez or Happ for a closer.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »
Once the Stanton situation gets worked out and Ohtani signs, things will definitely start to pick up. This MLB offseason is similar to when LeBron and Carmelo were UFAs. Every team seems to be waiting for the first domino to fall before making any significant moves.

I really think that Alex Cobb ends up with the Cubs. He has connections with Maddon and Hickey and would likely come at a reasonable price. I also wouldn't be surprised if they gave Tyler Chatwood a serious look. He's had some injury issues but he's only 28 and had a 3.49 ERA outside of Denver last season. Former Theo draft pick Clay Buchholz could be an option on an incentive-laden deal as well. They also still have Eddie Butler who was adequate in 11 starts last season before getting injured at AAA.

In terms of relievers, Addison Reed and Brandon Morrow appear to be pretty high on their list. I'd also anticipate that they're expecting Justin Wilson to bounce back from his awful Cub cameo last season. As ugly as it was, his FIP was still just 3.72. An under-the-radar signing could be Steve Cishek who finished 2017 pitching light's out under Hickey in TB. I definitely don't like the idea of dealing Russell, Baez or Happ for a closer.

We're on the same page as far Cobb and Chatwood.  Reed as well.  Morrow's injury history worries me.

I also like Jake McGee for the pen.  There are a ton of solid relievers out there this year so I also think they wait and get a couple of guys on solid deals. 

Personally, I don't think Russell or Baez are going anywhere.  It weakens you too much up the middle.  If one of the hitters is traded it will be for a starter but for some reason I just don't see it happening. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »
Thought I'd start up a new thread....This is the slowest start to an offseason that I can remember.

It wasn't too many years ago that most of the top FAs would sign the first few days they could.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »
It wasn't too many years ago that most of the top FAs would sign the first few days they could.

Maybe the market for the hitters won't develop until Giancarlo Stanton's status becomes clear.

- just read the whole thread and see that this was already mentioned - oops!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:11:54 PM by Lennys Tap »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »
Obtani finalists coming out.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »
Maybe the market for the hitters won't develop until Giancarlo Stanton's status becomes clear.

- just read the whole thread and see that this was already mentioned - oops!

As I said, the top guys used to be signed in the 1st couple of days - regardless of who was waiting to get traded.

Snark on someone else - I'm not interested.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
As I said, the top guys used to be signed in the 1st couple of days - regardless of who was waiting to get traded.

Snark on someone else - I'm not interested.

??? I was apologizing for being redundant and crediting you for making the point before I did.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
Apparently the Marlins have agreed to frameworks for Stanton trades with the Giants and Cards.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 10:48:20 PM »
??? I was apologizing for being redundant and crediting you for making the point before I did.

I apologize. I thought you were telling me to read the earlier post.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
How about changing the title to the Cubs/Brewers 2018 season with a pinch of White Sox.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »
How about changing the title to the Cubs/Brewers 2018 season with a pinch of White Sox.

Hey, there's a Twins fan. And Detroit.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
Cubs sign Tyler Chatwood to a 3-year deal. Terms not yet disclosed, but I'd bet there are quite a few incentives in there.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:14 PM »
Cubs sign Tyler Chatwood to a 3-year deal. Terms not yet disclosed, but I'd bet there are quite a few incentives in there.

3/38

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:12 PM »

When does the PED regimen start?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
When does the PED regimen start?

Ask Wades.

He got a little more than I anticipated but I like the signing as a bottom of the rotation piece with upside.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »
And Detroit.

Tigers are going to be bad.    Not historically bad.    They won 43 games in 2003.     But 90-100 loss bad.  And they will make a deal for virtually anyone on the roster.    Fullmer, Castellanos, make an offer.    Basically, they want to blow it up and start on their own 5-7 year plan. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »
Dee Gordon to the Mariners.  Presuming the return is cheap prospects my wild speculation includes:
1) Wonder what this means for Cano - a move to 1B?
2) Also wonder if this means the Mariners know re Ohtani one way or the other.
3) Does this raise the chances that Stanton lands in StL? There had been speculation Panik would go back to Mia if he went to SF, and Mia could include Gordon to play 2B.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
Dee Gordon to the Mariners.  Presuming the return is cheap prospects my wild speculation includes:

Mariners say gordon will play center field.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
Mariners say gordon will play center field.

Hmmm, I suppose he should be fine there. He's certainly got the wheels. Always interesting to trade for a 30 year old guy to move him to a difficult defensive spot, but realistically its still probably a decent upgrade overall from Dyson (at least based on his stats last year).

Sea also apparently getting $1M for their international bonus pool. That makes them the top spender left on Ohtani's list. i thought buckchuckler read the tea leaves right when he predicted the M's in the Ohtani thread before this trade - my confirmation bias would say this confirms it.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »
3) Does this raise the chances that Stanton lands in StL? There had been speculation Panik would go back to Mia if he went to SF, and Mia could include Gordon to play 2B.

Stanton won't approve a trade to St. Louis.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 05:15:32 PM »
Hmmm, I suppose he should be fine there. He's certainly got the wheels. Always interesting to trade for a 30 year old guy to move him to a difficult defensive spot, but realistically its still probably a decent upgrade overall from Dyson (at least based on his stats last year).

Sea also apparently getting $1M for their international bonus pool. That makes them the top spender left on Ohtani's list. i thought buckchuckler read the tea leaves right when he predicted the M's in the Ohtani thread before this trade - my confirmation bias would say this confirms it.

The Mariners may get Ohtani but I don't think the trades for extra pool money indicate anything. Each team is just doing all they can to present the best offer.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
Looks like Angels.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/939211994497998848

Cool.  Trout, Otani, Upton.  Pretty nice trio there. 

I'd love to kniw how this process went.  I really hope the story comes out.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »
Looks like Angels.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/939211994497998848

I'm surprised. But if not the Cubs I'm good with this result. Be interested to see how he does and how they use him.

feedback