[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498079 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:38 AM »
Chacin to the Brewers on a 2-year, $16MM deal.

His stats look good, but his road-splits produced a 6.50 ERA away from Petco. eek. On the plus side, it doesn't appear he was susceptible to the long ball, even back in his COL days. So maybe he'll fill the role of innings-eater for the time being.

He can throw a lot of innings to give the pen a break. Gonna need it with Four-inning Yovani back on the team.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »
Who is signing Yu:

-Twins
-Cubs
-Astros
-Field

If Cubs get Cobb, then I choose "field".

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »
Like most moves the Crew have made lately - solid, and not doing anything that hurts flexibility. The $2M plus incentives for Gallardo is a fine lottery ticket, and if he gives you decent enough long relief and spot start innings while staying reasonably healthy is good value. Plus it has the out during spring training, so very low risk. 

Chacin's deal seems pretty much right at value, but I think Stearns was right to not be scared off by the home/road splits. He's always done a pretty good job limiting HRs, so it doesn't seem the deep porch in Petco is where the splits came from. With Miller Park being pretty pro-HR, Chacin might actually provide some sneaky good value (and did a pretty good job limiting damage during his time in Colorado)

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »
Rumors that the Brewers offseason might be heating up, though it comes with a caveat worthy of the Washington Post headline in 2017: Crasnick tweeted, without evidence or details, that he's hearing the Brewers are close to "a trade". No details on who it might be.

Also reported that the Brewers entered the fray for Darvish. Could be that the market has stagnated that Stearns sees an opening.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 09:47:50 AM »
Rumors that the Brewers offseason might be heating up, though it comes with a caveat worthy of the Washington Post headline in 2017: Crasnick tweeted, without evidence or details, that he's hearing the Brewers are close to "a trade". No details on who it might be.

Also reported that the Brewers entered the fray for Darvish. Could be that the market has stagnated that Stearns sees an opening.

Rumors are Ellsbury and a couple of top prospects was the trade that was going to happen.  Not sure who the Brewers would give up in return.  I'd have to imagine it wouldn't be much with Ellsbury's awful contract.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »

Santana.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
Some combo of both giving Santana and taking on a large portion of Ellsbury's salary, all for prospects, makes sense.  Deals from surplus (OFs and for the time being, $$/tax space) and keeps the farm system stocked for player development and future trades. Ellsbury's and Braun's deals are up the same year (though their combined $9M buyouts aren't nothing), which would provide a bunch of payroll flexibility as the next gen guys start hitting extension time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2018, 11:04:41 AM »
Some combo of both giving Santana and taking on a large portion of Ellsbury's salary, all for prospects, makes sense.  Deals from surplus (OFs and for the time being, $$/tax space) and keeps the farm system stocked for player development and future trades. Ellsbury's and Braun's deals are up the same year (though their combined $9M buyouts aren't nothing), which would provide a bunch of payroll flexibility as the next gen guys start hitting extension time.

The Yankees may ask for Santana, but there is no way in heck the Brewers should give up Santana to get back Ellsbury.  Santana alone should get them top prospect(s) from the Yankees.  Taking on Ellsbury would be awful if they're giving up Santana.  If Ellsbury is involved, it should be nothing more than Keon in return.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »
The Yankees may ask for Santana, but there is no way in heck the Brewers should give up Santana to get back Ellsbury.  Santana alone should get them top prospect(s) from the Yankees.  Taking on Ellsbury would be awful if they're giving up Santana.  If Ellsbury is involved, it should be nothing more than Keon in return.

Totally agree. Dealing Santana and bringing in Ellsbury would hopefully be structured as separate deals if the Yankees were interested in Broxton (unless they were willing to give up someone like Florial).

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2018, 01:43:33 PM »

Give me Ellsbury (full salary absorption by the Brewers) and a top pitching prospect, and I could get rid of Santana.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »
Give me Ellsbury (full salary absorption by the Brewers) and a top pitching prospect, and I could get rid of Santana.

I completely disagree.  Ellsbury gets $21M/year through the 2020 season (buyout option for 2021).  There is no way in heck the Brewers should give up Santana and take on that contract, no matter what prospects they get back.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »
I completely disagree.  Ellsbury gets $21M/year through the 2020 season (buyout option for 2021).  There is no way in heck the Brewers should give up Santana and take on that contract, no matter what prospects they get back.

I agree.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »

I just hope something happens this offseason.  It has been so boring.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2018, 08:33:22 AM »
Outstanding line from Dillon Gee while being interviewed on MLB Network after signing in Japan: "I appreciate you having me on, but I think it sums up the Hot Stove season that you have me on."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
Brewers apparently have made an offer for Yelich and are pretty strongly in pursuit.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »
Brewers apparently have made an offer for Yelich and are pretty strongly in pursuit.

Curious what Stearns' end game is. A lot of interest in OFs (Yelich, Cain), which means the rest of our OFs are on the block. I wouldn't think he would, but would Braun waive his no-trade to Miami (hometown, easy access to Biogenesis) for Braun + prospects + cash considerations?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
Curious what Stearns' end game is. A lot of interest in OFs (Yelich, Cain), which means the rest of our OFs are on the block. I wouldn't think he would, but would Braun waive his no-trade to Miami (hometown, easy access to Biogenesis) for Braun + prospects + cash considerations?

Miami would not trade for Braun. Their whole off-season has been about dumping salary. They would want one or two of our young OFs, plus young pitching.

All of our OFs should be on the block. CF was a disaster last year and I am not convinced Santana is as good as he looked.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »

I would guess their ask starts with Brinson and Hader.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2018, 06:48:18 PM »
I would guess their ask starts with Brinson and Hader.

Pretty clear what Brewers are looking for.

A lead-off man - Cain, Ellsbury, Yelich

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
Got dat wit Villar, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
Pretty clear what Brewers are looking for.

A lead-off man - Cain, Ellsbury, Yelich

I see what you are saying, and he certainly has the skill set, but Yelich hasn't been a leadoff man since 2014.  With that said, he would probably be able to handle that with no problem. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2018, 08:01:49 PM »
I see what you are saying, and he certainly has the skill set, but Yelich hasn't been a leadoff man since 2014.  With that said, he would probably be able to handle that with no problem.

You're right, but that was more because of the presence of Dee Gordon than any lack of lead-off ability by Yelich. I think he is a guy who could easily steal 25 playing for a guy like Counsel.

His OBP was 75 points higher than Villar last season - that an extra 40 or so more times on base over the course of a season. That translates into a lot of runs.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-brewers-are-trying-to-add-to-the-top/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:05:45 PM by Jockey »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 05:20:51 PM »
Brewers get Christian Yelich from the AA team that used to be the Marlins.
They give up OF Lewis Brinson, INF Isan Díaz, OF Monte Harrison and RHP Jordan Yamamoto.
Unlike the Marlins' other deals, that's a respectable return.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:23:05 PM by Pakuni »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »
Brewers get Christian Yelich from the AA team that used to be the Marlins.
They give up OF Lewis Brinson, INF Isan Díaz, OF Monte Harrison and RHP Jordan Yamamoto.
Unlike the Marlins' other deals, that's a respectable return.

I like that deal.  He's tied up for four seasons with an option for a fifth.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »
Gave up a haul, but Yelich is very good.  Wishing Diaz wasn't one of the players included but prospects are prospects.