[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 89668 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #301 on: October 28, 2016, 06:19:04 PM »
Was just sent a tweet from someone saying Murphys is One in One out already...tomorrow will prob be earlier being the weekend.

Good luck to those that brave the masses!

http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/the-line-for-murphys-started-at-8-am-a-full-11-hours-before-first-pitch/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #302 on: October 28, 2016, 06:34:52 PM »
Fangraphs.com

Wades, you are just bizzare on this.  Kinda Chicos-like bizzare.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #303 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
30-40 mph winds blowing out?  It might be a replay of the 23-22 game against the Phillies in the early 80's.

Isn't that the game where Barry Foote broke the window on the apt building on Waveland?

Not to mention Kingman v Schmidt.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:27:08 PM by real chili 83 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #304 on: October 28, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »
Good thing Hendricks is a ground ball pitcher.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #305 on: October 28, 2016, 07:17:48 PM »
Good thing Hendricks is a ground ball pitcher.

They were talking about the wind on the Score this morning and that was one of my first thoughts. Cleveland sending out a pitcher that gives up the longball, Chicago sending out Hendricks, seems like a perfect storm for the Cubs. Of course, it's baseball, so who knows?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2016, 07:32:55 PM »
They were talking about the wind on the Score this morning and that was one of my first thoughts. Cleveland sending out a pitcher that gives up the longball, Chicago sending out Hendricks, seems like a perfect storm for the Cubs. Of course, it's baseball, so who knows?

Hendricks keeping up his end of the bargain with 2 infield hits so far.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2016, 08:30:25 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/addicted-to-losing-some-cubs-fans-want-their-team-to-lose-world-series-survey-shows-161752141.html

I can relate to this. The soul of a non bandwagon cub fan is the fact that you root for them no matter what is happening. When your at Wrigley it's always a blast even when you lose 100 games.

I'll say that I really want the cubs to finally win. But I do believe that some of the magic might be lost if they win this world series or even more if they win multiple times.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2016, 08:51:17 PM »
I can relate to this. The soul of a non bandwagon cub fan is the fact that you root for them no matter what is happening. When your at Wrigley it's always a blast even when you lose 100 games.

I'll say that I really want the cubs to finally win. But I do believe that some of the magic might be lost if they win this world series or even more if they win multiple times.

I don't know...I know it's been the Cubs identity for a long time, but the Blackhawks also had the longest streak since the last Stanley Cup, and these postseasons haven't felt any less magical as they start to stack rings on the bottom of the Cup.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #309 on: October 28, 2016, 08:55:49 PM »

That sounds like being afraid of change more than anything else.  Ask Red Sox fans if they feel the magic is lost after their success over the past decade.  If anything, it's been enhanced.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #310 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:42 PM »
No rooting interest, but that was a hell of a baseball game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #311 on: October 28, 2016, 10:46:51 PM »
No rooting interest, but that was a hell of a baseball game.

Yup. I love the Playoffs. Every pitch is so important. Such great atmospheres. Every lineup move can make or break a game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #312 on: October 28, 2016, 10:47:51 PM »
Just brutal. What was it, 0/14 (1 reached on error) with runners in scoring position? With the wind blowing out, I expected a lot more. Hell, I just thought they'd at least be able to put bats to balls. Incredible game, but really frustrating to watch for the Cubbies.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #313 on: October 28, 2016, 11:03:28 PM »
Joe Maddon should be fired! Baseball 101.  Bunt!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #314 on: October 29, 2016, 07:32:35 AM »
Indians were lucky to survive some one-sided brutal umpiring by Hirschbeck.

I switched over to MLB Network after the game because the Fox guys are not my cup of tea.  I thought it was bad during the game (like when Napoli struck out on a called strike in the other batters box and Bryant walked on a pitch right down the middle a few inches above the knee.

Leiter confirmed my suspicions on MLB network.  Hirschbeck called 10 pitches outside the strike zone strikes, 8 of them for the Cubs.  He called 9 pitches in the strike zone balls, again 8 of them favored the Cubs.  This is extreme, but it is normal for the home team to get the better strike zone.  The Bryant Gumbel show on HBO did a story about it a few weeks back. 

I think the game would be better served if balls and strikes were called by Questec technology and instant replay challenges had to be made within a specified time (short, like 20 seconds) of the call on the field.  I hate the game delays as teams figure out whether or not they want to challenge.  If its egregious or very important, challenge.  If you need to look at slow motion replay for a minute or two figure out if it is worth challenging, just play on.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #315 on: October 29, 2016, 08:11:11 AM »

I switched over to MLB Network after the game because the Fox guys are not my cup of tea.  I thought it was bad during the game (like when Napoli struck out on a called strike in the other batters box and Bryant walked on a pitch right down the middle a few inches above the knee.

Leiter confirmed my suspicions on MLB network.  Hirschbeck called 10 pitches outside the strike zone strikes, 8 of them for the Cubs.  He called 9 pitches in the strike zone balls, again 8 of them favored the Cubs.  This is extreme, but it is normal for the home team to get the better strike zone.  The Bryant Gumbel show on HBO did a story about it a few weeks back. 

I think the game would be better served if balls and strikes were called by Questec technology and instant replay challenges had to be made within a specified time (short, like 20 seconds) of the call on the field.  I hate the game delays as teams figure out whether or not they want to challenge.  If its egregious or very important, challenge.  If you need to look at slow motion replay for a minute or two figure out if it is worth challenging, just play on.

OMG, no.  That's just what I want, 6 hour games.  For over 120 years we got by just fine without replay in baseball.  I acknowledge that in limited instances it makes some sense and I sincerely believe that in each case in the series a correct (and important) call was made after replay.  But the Indians are in very good shape at the moment because their core group of about 6 pitchers (starters and pen) has been materially superior to the Cubs.  I hope all folks, even my diehard Cubs fan friends, can respect the absolute gem they collectively produced last night.  Cubs pitching has been very good.  Indians pitching, literally every pitch, borderline perfect.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »
Two more wins.   ;D

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2016, 11:06:51 AM »
I'm still marveling that not a single ball flew out of the park last night (for either team).

That said.  I still have confidence in the Cubs!  They came back from 2-1 in the last series against some good pitching :)

brandx

« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »

For real fans, MLB does a better job than any network on any sport. Some outstanding on-air analysts.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
I'm still marveling that not a single ball flew out of the park last night (for either team).

That said.  I still have confidence in the Cubs!  They came back from 2-1 in the last series against some good pitching :)

I agree completely.  I feared Tomlin would give up a couple long balls (at least).  If they've learned nothing else in the last few months, Cleveland fans have learned that teams can come back from big deficits in championship series.  This one won't be over until the final out is in the books (as we learned here in 1997).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #320 on: October 29, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »

As Red Sox fan who rooted intensely for them for 35 seasons before they won (86 years overall for the team) I harbored no secret hopes that they would not win.  But I will say this.  Once they finally won in 04, the games did not have that life or death urgency that they used to have for me.  It was still great when they won again in 07 and 13, but nothing will ever match finally getting over the hump the first time. 

You'd have to be at least 75 to really remember an Indians championship, so either way one fan base will finally know what it is like.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »

I have to believe that in the not-too-distant future MLB will rely exclusively on the computer calling balls and strikes, with the umpire there only to make calls at home plate, balks, etc.

I will say that, as a Little League ump, seeing how "wrong" MLB umps are makes me feel a little better about myself.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #322 on: October 29, 2016, 06:51:24 PM »
Is Ronnie Woo-Woo still alive and at the game?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #323 on: October 29, 2016, 06:56:10 PM »
Is Ronnie Woo-Woo still alive and at the game?

Still alive.  Haven't seen him in any recent media about him except for this:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17893842/ahead-historic-world-series-revisit-chicago-cubs-fans-no-love-lost
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American