collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 89655 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2016, 09:27:29 PM »
Really not sure about going away from Lester already. I'd at least let him try to get the first batter or two. Wonder if Maddon is already planning on going to Chapman in the 8th if they still have the lead.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #351 on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »
Did you watch that Rizzo at bat? That ball didn't even make it half way out to the outfield, I played it back on my DVR, you'd thought it was blasted on to Sheffield. Ridiculous.

I did. Views from inside the stadium tend to be very deceiving.

I was at the Redskins vs Bengals game today, from where I was at the time, on the Hopkins field goal attempt in OT, the first one where Cinci called the timeout looked like it missed badly when he actually drilled it. While the one he actually missed looked like it went in from my point of view.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #352 on: October 30, 2016, 09:35:06 PM »
Uhh...really?  :o

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #353 on: October 30, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »
Uhh...really?  :o

I think Joe forgot what inning it was.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #354 on: October 30, 2016, 09:36:21 PM »
Really not sure about going away from Lester already. I'd at least let him try to get the first batter or two. Wonder if Maddon is already planning on going to Chapman in the 8th if they still have the lead.

I don't have a good feeling about this. Chapman's coming in...he's not Andrew Miller here.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #355 on: October 30, 2016, 09:48:48 PM »
I don't have a good feeling about this. Chapman's coming in...he's not Andrew Miller here.
Honestly my wife (a life long Indians fan) just said "oh good, they're bringing in the closer in the 7th.  Let's see how strong his arm is after a few innings".  I told her i don't think he backs down from that kind of challenge from a woman.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #356 on: October 30, 2016, 10:04:29 PM »
My concern is Chapman sitting in the dugout twice, dude is a creature of habit. Still tough to hit him, but wouldn't be shocked by a walk or two.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »
Davis should have attempted to steal home.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2016, 10:44:48 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2016, 10:46:35 PM »
Got called out at work in the 8th, came back to see the popup and the final strikeout. Gutsy move by Maddon going for the 8 out save. Quite a game, and if they can pull off Game 6, will be a great Series regardless. Still expect another loss, just the Cub fan in me, but at least hope springs eternal for another couple days.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2016, 11:50:42 PM »
That is awesome.  I REALLY hope you have a great time!

Thanks man. I split season tickets so I've been fortunate to go to a bunch, including NLCS game 6, so it was really nice to see them extend the series tonight. The fans deserved to see a win at home.

Aside from my own enjoyment, one of the most memorable parts of game 6 was seeing the pure joy of a couple of older gentleman who we're sitting near us. I'm not young anymore but that was something special to witness, even though I know what it means (my grandpa was a fan who is no longer here).

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2016, 11:52:11 PM »
The upside about this year is it seems like even if the Cubs can't pull it out (and it does look bleak) the core is so young and talented that they almost have to be back.

And VBMG, that is awesome. Enjoy the game, help cheer them back to Cleveland

Did my best. Knocked over my own $11 beer prior to the 3 run inning so I assume that was connected.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2016, 11:54:39 PM »
I thought Lester deserved another inning but it worked out.

Despite Tomlin's recent success I like the Cubs matchup on Tuesday. Hopefully Jake is juicing enough to pitch well #wadesworld

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #363 on: October 31, 2016, 06:29:42 AM »
I thought Lester deserved another inning but it worked out.

Despite Tomlin's recent success I like the Cubs matchup on Tuesday. Hopefully Jake is juicing enough to pitch well #wadesworld

Wouldn't doubt it if he's getting some...*treatment*.

Go Tribe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #364 on: October 31, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »
Wouldn't doubt it if he's getting some...*treatment*.

Go Tribe.

Still waiting for you to respond to my post about his huge "spike" in velocity.

You suck.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #365 on: October 31, 2016, 08:10:18 AM »
Still waiting for you to respond to my post about his huge "spike" in velocity.

You suck.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4153&position=P

But sure.  The 28 year old just happened to go from a bad MLB pitcher to the best in the world in 1 offseason naturally, in a game where everyone has always found a way to be a step ahead of the system.  The 5'10", 150 lb, 9 career homer Dee Gordon uses PEDs but no chance in hell that the guy who developed into the best pitcher at the age that all athletes develop at, 28 years old, used them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #366 on: October 31, 2016, 08:17:27 AM »
“I’ve heard players, and I’m talking about some of the best players in the league,’’ Arrieta told USA TODAY Sports, “question whether I’ve taken steroids or not. Some of the things I hear are pretty funny, and some people are idiots, frankly.

“I’ll see on Twitter, ‘My close source revealed to me he’s on steroids.’ Well, the 10 tests I take a year say otherwise. I eat plants. I eat lean meat. I work out. And I do things the right way.

“If there are guys still on it, I hope they get caught. I care about the integrity of the game. I wouldn’t want to disappoint my family, my friends, my fans. That’s a huge motivating factor in doing it the right way.

“Hey, that’s one of the best compliments you can give a guy,’’ he says. “I appreciate the fact that you think I’m pretty good, but taking steroids, that’s pushing it.’’

As they say, "The lady doth protest too much."

Chances are pretty high that his peers in the MLB would have a better idea about whether a player is doping or not.  Apparently his peers think he is, too.  But that can't be possible, he told Cubs fans he didn't!

Weird that all he denies is steroid use.  No kidding you've past your drug tests because you don't use steroids.  That's the drug of the past in the MLB.  That would get caught even at the lowest level.  Nobody in baseball uses steroids anymore.

Other PEDs?  Glad he didn't lie about not using those.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #367 on: October 31, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »
Still ridiculous misconceptions with PEDs. They dont automatically make you a better hitter or pitcher. PEDs, wont allow you to put 3 MPH on your fastball or make your curveball break off the table and put it where you want it to go.

Same on the hitting end, PEDs arent going to allow you to catch up to a fastball any more than you would have prior to using. It doesnt help your eyesight for pitches and it doesnt even help you hit 20 ft longer than you usually would.

All PEDs do is help a player recover faster which is why theyre more prevalant in baseball because of the 162 game schedule. Just like Marijuana is more apparent in the NFL, because of how hard they get hit every week. Byproduct of the game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »
Still ridiculous misconceptions with PEDs. They dont automatically make you a better hitter or pitcher. PEDs, wont allow you to put 3 MPH on your fastball or make your curveball break off the table and put it where you want it to go.

Same on the hitting end, PEDs arent going to allow you to catch up to a fastball any more than you would have prior to using. It doesnt help your eyesight for pitches and it doesnt even help you hit 20 ft longer than you usually would.

All PEDs do is help a player recover faster which is why theyre more prevalant in baseball because of the 162 game schedule. Just like Marijuana is more apparent in the NFL, because of how hard they get hit every week. Byproduct of the game.

Not all PEDs, no.  Some are used for recovery, others are used for ability to do things on the field/court you wouldn't be able to do otherwise.  But regardless, whether you're using them to recover quicker or to perform better, they are enhancing your performance and are banned for a reason.  The reason you take them doesn't matter, you're not allowed to take them in sports.

Here's what I always find funny about people who defend athletes.  The whole, "He never failed a drug test!  He obviously doesn't take PEDs!"

Honest question for those who love that defense.  Do you really think October of 2011 was the first time Ryan Braun ever touched a PED?  C'mon now.

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #369 on: October 31, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »

Here's what I always find funny about people who defend athletes.  The whole, "He never failed a drug test!  He obviously doesn't take PEDs!"

Here's what I always find funny... a dude gets better and people KNOW it's PEDs.

Basically every pitcher the Cubs have acquired has gotten better under Bosio. It couldn't possibly be better coaching, better training, or the fact that he's allowed to pitch the way he wants rather than how the Orioles wanted him to pitch. No. It's PEDs.

Get a clue.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #370 on: October 31, 2016, 08:38:52 AM »
Here's what I always find funny... a dude gets better and people KNOW it's PEDs.

Basically every pitcher the Cubs have acquired has gotten better under Bosio. It couldn't possibly be better coaching, better training, or the fact that he's allowed to pitch the way he wants rather than how the Orioles wanted him to pitch. No. It's PEDs.

Get a clue.

Obviously Bosio is the one handing out the meds.
Have some patience, FFS.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #371 on: October 31, 2016, 08:40:11 AM »
I have no idea if Arrieta is using anything or not.  As an Orioles fan, I will say he was always considered a potential ace in the minors.  Great stuff but lacked consistency and control.  I think the change of scenery did Arrieta a lot of good.  The Orioles have a very poor record of developing major league arms.  Since Mike Mussina, it's pretty much Gausman and Bundy as their only home grown starters.  And both of those were top 5 picks- one was a college arm and the other has been injury prone.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #372 on: October 31, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »

Get a clue.

Going from an ERA well over 5 to an ERA under 2 at the young age of 28?  Very common.  Happens all the time.  Just coaching, baby.  Especially in a sport where everyone has always found a way around banned substance testing.

Yeah, I need the clue.

Lol.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #373 on: October 31, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »
If "everyone has always found a way around banned substance testing," what's the point in getting mad at one specific athlete?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #374 on: October 31, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
If "everyone has always found a way around banned substance testing," what's the point in getting mad at one specific athlete?

Personally I'm not mad at all.

I've said it over and over again, if you're a baseball (or football) player and you don't take them you have an incredible uphill battle to climb to make it to the top of your profession.

feedback