[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette NBA Thread  (Read 454770 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Marquette NBA Thread
« Reply #1175 on: May 17, 2021, 10:59:37 AM »
What sort of options does he have? Will he be a Free Agent like Wes was? Or do the 2-way contracts give the Nuggets rights to him?

Great to see him making the most of his opportunity. The efficiency is nice to see.

AFAIK, because Markus spent 15+ days called up this year, if contract expires he'll be a restricted free agent. He has the potential to make a lot of money next year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: May 17, 2021, 11:04:05 AM »
What sort of options does he have? Will he be a Free Agent like Wes was? Or do the 2-way contracts give the Nuggets rights to him?

At the end of the contract, the NBA team will have the right to tender a qualifying offer to the player should it choose to do so. If an offer is made and accepted, the player will become a full-salaried member of that team. If no offer is made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. If an offer is made and rejected, the player becomes a restricted free agent, giving the team the right to match an offer the player receives.

A player on a two-way contract is not eligible to be on a playoff roster, so I think* we've seen the last of Markus this season.

*Caveat: During the season, a team can sign a two-way player to its active roster if it has an open spot, so I'm not sure if the Nuggets still could "promote" Markus or if that window has closed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: May 17, 2021, 11:26:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Looks like Markus is working himself into a good position.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1178 on: May 18, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »
JTA got a long article in the WSJ this morning

https://www.wsj.com/articles/juan-toscano-anderson-warriors-lakers-nba-playoffs-11621307052

relevant MU bit
Only by coincidence did his college coach begin recruiting him. Buzz Williams was sitting in a Las Vegas gym waiting for a summer game on Court 1 when that game was delayed and his attention drifted to Court 2. He was basically scouting blind, since he didn’t know the name of anybody on the court, but one player intrigued him. He texted an assistant coach for more information about this kid he had accidentally discovered, and that’s when he found out who he was and where Toscano-Anderson was from. “That’s a long way to Milwaukee,” thought Marquette’s coach at the time.

Williams had never been to Oakland before visiting him—the recruit’s mother made tamales—and Toscano-Anderson was so homesick at Marquette that he nearly transferred. But he also showed flashes of the skills that would translate to a future beyond college basketball.

“What he did as a player is similar to what everybody in the world is seeing over the past few months,” Williams said. “He played that way even when Steph Curry wasn’t on his team.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: May 18, 2021, 09:59:31 AM »
Buzz's MU legacy in terms of NBA results is really a consistent and compelling story. 

Wes grinded and fought his way into a long career.

Butler was a first round pick, sure, but nobody thought he would be a star.  His first season he was a nobody and even season 2 he was just a spot player mostly on a decent Bulls team.  But dude's work ethic is unmatched.

Now Juan with the incredible story of resilience and fight.

Markus obviously is a different "era" but I would love him to become another story of low to no expectations turning into something.

Would love a few more Wade lottery pick type players, but I sneaky love having a bunch of MU guys who are the talk of Twitter or thinkpieces because of their unorthodox way to NBA regulars.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1180 on: May 18, 2021, 10:07:52 AM »
Buzz's MU legacy in terms of NBA results is really a consistent and compelling story. 

Wes grinded and fought his way into a long career.

Butler was a first round pick, sure, but nobody thought he would be a star.  His first season he was a nobody and even season 2 he was just a spot player mostly on a decent Bulls team.  But dude's work ethic is unmatched.

Now Juan with the incredible story of resilience and fight.

Markus obviously is a different "era" but I would love him to become another story of low to no expectations turning into something.

Would love a few more Wade lottery pick type players, but I sneaky love having a bunch of MU guys who are the talk of Twitter or thinkpieces because of their unorthodox way to NBA regulars.

Don't forget Jae, who I never thought would stick in the NBA.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: May 18, 2021, 10:53:04 AM »
Don't forget Jae, who I never thought would stick in the NBA.

I thought Jae was well on his away out of the league when Dallas traded him.  Things really turned around in Boston.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: May 18, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1183 on: May 18, 2021, 02:24:38 PM »
Anyone with a subscription want to cut and paste?

He Watched Steph vs. LeBron. Now He’s Playing With Them.

The first time that Stephen Curry and LeBron James met in the NBA Finals, one of the fans in the Golden State Warriors’ crowd was a recent college graduate named Juan Toscano-Anderson. He watched the rest of the series on television, like anyone who grew up rooting for the Warriors, and he was at home in the Bay Area when they won the championship.

The NBA draft was held a few days later. If teams knew then what they know now, he might have been a first-round pick. But he wasn’t disappointed when he went undrafted. As it turns out, he wasn’t even watching.

Toscano-Anderson knew there was no way that he was going to play in the NBA.

Some players are undervalued. He was simply unvalued. But that night in 2015 began a series of preposterous developments that would take Juan Toscano-Anderson from his mother’s home in Oakland after college to Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina, an open tryout for the G League, a spot at the end of the Warriors’ bench and now, incredibly, a game featuring the sport’s biggest stars.

He’s gone from being in the arena with Steph and LeBron to being on the court with them.

Wednesday’s showdown between the Warriors and Lakers in the NBA’s play-in tournament is the latest, unlikeliest chapter of the epic Steph vs. LeBron rivalry that defined the last decade of basketball. But the stakes are different—and so are their supporting casts. Many of their current teammates watched them play in four straight Finals while in college. Some were in high school and middle school. And one of them was in Oakland.

Juan Toscano-Anderson was born and raised in the shadow of Golden State’s home—he wears No. 95 in honor of a family house on 95th Avenue, so close to the team’s former arena that it’s in Curry’s shooting range—and the Warriors were part of him long before he became a part of the Warriors.

He went to their basketball camps when he was a kid. He watched their “We Believe” team beat a No. 1 seed in the first round when he was a teenager. He doesn’t have to be told how peculiar it is that most people now think of Golden State as a glittering dynasty. He knows the painful history of his favorite NBA team better than anyone in the locker room. “I grew up a Warriors fan,” Toscano-Anderson said. “We sucked for years.”

But the Warriors are partially responsible for him playing basketball in the first place. The person who steered Toscano-Anderson to basketball in elementary school—when he occasionally slept in his mother’s car and once had a second-grader pull a knife on him—was a teacher named Wilhelmina Attles. She’s married to the legendary Warriors player and coach Al Attles. “She just changed my life,” he said.

It would keep changing. Toscano-Anderson was in high school when the Warriors drafted Curry in 2009 and were sold to new owners in 2010. He was getting better every year, too. “I thought he had a chance to play professionally somewhere,” said Nick Jones, his coach. “But the NBA? No.”

Only by coincidence did his college coach begin recruiting him. Buzz Williams was sitting in a Las Vegas gym waiting for a summer game on Court 1 when that game was delayed and his attention drifted to Court 2. He was basically scouting blind, since he didn’t know the name of anybody on the court, but one player intrigued him. He texted an assistant coach for more information about this kid he had accidentally discovered, and that’s when he found out who he was and where Toscano-Anderson was from. “That’s a long way to Milwaukee,” thought Marquette’s coach at the time.

Williams had never been to Oakland before visiting him—the recruit’s mother made tamales—and Toscano-Anderson was so homesick at Marquette that he nearly transferred. But he also showed flashes of the skills that would translate to a future beyond college basketball.

“What he did as a player is similar to what everybody in the world is seeing over the past few months,” Williams said. “He played that way even when Steph Curry wasn’t on his team.”

But somebody who averages 3.8 points per game over four years in college is not exactly destined for the NBA, and Toscano-Anderson moved back to the Bay Area as Steph beat LeBron for the Warriors’ first title. Then, at the exact moment when it would have made sense for him to stop, he moved to the one place that would let him keep playing.

He would make it from Oakland to San Francisco by way of Mexico.

Toscano-Anderson was offered a spot on the Mexican national team and parlayed that experience into contracts with teams in Venezuela, Argentina and Mexico, where he was a league MVP, two-time champion and too good for his foreign league while not good enough for the NBA.

But he was ready to come home. Toscano-Anderson essentially invited himself to an open tryout for the Warriors’ affiliate in Santa Cruz, a job he wanted so badly that he asked a friend on the team to vouch for him. Toscano-Anderson made the team and then paid a tax to chase his dream: He turned down a six-figure salary in Mexico and took a G League salary of $35,000.

He played for Santa Cruz in 2018, earned a place on Golden State’s summer league team in 2019, returned to Santa Cruz and made his debut for the real Warriors in February 2020, a feel-good moment right before nobody would feel good for a very long time. He wasn’t expected to contribute much when the Warriors finally started playing again close to a year later. But then something curious happened.

Toscano-Anderson, a role player averaging 5.7 points who was supposed to make less in one season than Curry makes in one game, revealed himself to be invaluable next to their most valuable players.

The Warriors destroy teams with small-ball lineups when he shares the floor with Curry and Draymond Green. He’s a good passer, cutter and shooter on offense with the size, energy and intelligence to switch positions on defense. He knows exactly who he is, what to do and how to exploit the attention that Curry demands. He was even willing to crash into a scorer’s table and split open his head to get the ball to the best shooter on earth.

He’s also a bargain for the most expensive team in NBA history. His two-way contract paid roughly $450,000—half the salary of the lowest-paid players on league-minimum deals—and the Warriors signing him last week to a $1.7 million contract for next season was a no-brainer. If they could invent someone for their roster, he would be cheap, versatile and complementary to Curry. He would be a lot like this person who already exists.

LINK - https://twitter.com/juanonjuan10/status/1360117559392051201

That person often sounds like someone who can’t believe he’s paid money to watch Curry, “the Picasso of our time,” in the words of Toscano-Anderson. There are still moments when he acts like a fan who happens to be playing in the game.

Toscano-Anderson provided the canvas for one of Curry’s finest works this season when he found him for an open look and started celebrating as soon as the ball left his fingertips. He could tell what was going to happen next. He’d seen it happen from every part of the arena.

“Steph’s teammate knew it was cash before he even passed it,” read a tweet from the website Bleacher Report.

“Hi, I’m Steph’s teammate,” Toscano-Anderson replied. “My name’s Juan.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: May 18, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
The thing that stand out to me in that article was that Juan turned down a 6-figure international contract to play in the G-League for $35K.

Folks often wonder why guys leave college early even though they know they won't be drafted, or why guys turn down European/Asian money to play in the G-League.

These guys have been competitive, ego-driven athletes for most of their lives. Supreme confidence in themselves is a huge part of why they achieve what they do. So while I was disappointed that Vander and DJ would leave school when they did, I wasn't shocked by either decision. Nor am I stunned that Juan turned down what had to look like huge money to him (hell, to most anyone) to chase an unlikely dream.

Very proud of Juan. He truly deserves it.

I also loved that Juan called Curry “the Picasso of our time." A great description!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1185 on: May 18, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »
Great article, thanks for sharing, Ska. Has to be the most improbable Marquette NBA player in recent memory.

I loved the "my name's Juan" Twitter interaction. Hilarious.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: May 18, 2021, 04:52:27 PM »
I’m sure it’s been said before - but Jae being on what, his like 7th diff playoff team?  Wow!  Every team I believe he’s ever joined was better record wise after he joined - didn’t think he had the athleticism to survive long term but goes to show what 6’6 a sweet stroke and dogged determination can get for you - mu Rah!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:54:12 PM by CAGASS24 »

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: May 19, 2021, 11:16:09 PM »
Matthew’s hits a 3 and some good D had the announcers saying what a call by Frank Vogel to insert Matthews into the game.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: May 20, 2021, 05:33:36 AM »
Wes flipped the game. The lakers were trying to play big with Drummond, but their spacing was awful. Wes stretched the floor and opened the lane for drives. Defensively, he took a huge charge and also drew an illegal screen on Draymond late in the game.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: May 20, 2021, 07:04:13 AM »
Wes flipped the game. The lakers were trying to play big with Drummond, but their spacing was awful. Wes stretched the floor and opened the lane for drives. Defensively, he took a huge charge and also drew an illegal screen on Draymond late in the game.

He also played a lot instead of Shroder who was literally awful
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: May 20, 2021, 07:21:04 AM »
Wes and Juan did Marquette proud.

Next, Wes takes on Jae. And Jimmy will be trying to get the Heat another conference title.

We Are Marquette!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: May 20, 2021, 08:47:48 AM »
Wes and Juan did Marquette proud.

Next, Wes takes on Jae. And Jimmy will be trying to get the Heat another conference title.

We Are Marquette!
And the winner of Wes and Jae may take on Marks

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/03/02/report-nba-allowing-two-way-players-to-play-unlimited-games-including-playoffs/

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: May 20, 2021, 09:23:29 AM »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: May 22, 2021, 06:34:02 PM »
I realize I’ve completely lost interest in the NBA but I thought I would have heard at least in passing that the Heat moved to Pittsburgh.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: May 22, 2021, 10:13:24 PM »
Markus Howard has entered the game and scored.  So not only has he played in the NBA in defiance of what many here thought, he’s now getting playoff minutes and contributing

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: May 22, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
Markus Howard has entered the game and scored.  So not only has he played in the NBA in defiance of what many here thought, he’s now getting playoff minutes and contributing

Got some good run there! Maybe he impressed a little in those last few bench games. Go get ‘em Markus.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1196 on: May 22, 2021, 11:10:02 PM »
Cancer!!
Goal is National Championship

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: May 22, 2021, 11:13:31 PM »
Looking forward to Markus winning a postseason game this year

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1198 on: May 22, 2021, 11:31:00 PM »
16 minutes and 2/3 from the floor with 2 rebounds so far.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: May 22, 2021, 11:41:49 PM »

Markus Howard 20 minutes 3/5 from the floor 2 rebounds 7 points.

Markus Howard +\- was 2nd Best on the Nuggets Team.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:59:01 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

feedback