[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122930 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #650 on: February 24, 2018, 12:04:39 AM »
Agreed.  I've thought all along this could be pretty big.
People don't see how good the FBI is at following the money that is their specialty. Then they go for the easy kills, tax evasion, interstate commerce fraud or something along those lines (once you use Internet cellphone), bribery/ blackmail.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #651 on: February 24, 2018, 12:10:48 AM »
Not singling you or anyone else but what the hell has happened to our society?  Over the years attorneys and other vendors have done FAR MORE for me than buy me a simple lunch.  NEVER ONCE was my determination of which firm I retained for a particular matter influenced in any way by some perceived perk.  Never once was it ever expected by them either. 

We've done everything from the circus with the entirety of both families in a United Center skybox to courtside seats for the Bulls to Packers/Bears tickets to whatever.  All very standard vendor/client stuff with associates I did business with for decades.  Lunch?  Like I said, what the hell has happened?

One time in my career I certainly exceeded the internal guidelines (with the full blessing of our HR Department and my CEO.)  I still remember our CEO telling me to have a great day and that it was a once in a lifetime experience but to be careful and prudent in my decisions about hiring this particular vendor too often going forward.  I took his advice to heart and the nature of the professional relationship between our two organizations didn't change.  What did I do?  I got on a charter plane at 6am and day tripped to the Masters.  Freakin' awesome.
Glow I understand where you are coming from, but a lot depends on industry and ethics. As an engineer when I'm a resident engineer Inspecting a project I can't accept anything  from concractor would be conflict plus goes against ethics of the Engineering Association (College of Engineers).

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #652 on: February 24, 2018, 12:32:13 AM »
Ed Graney‏Verified account
@edgraney

Think about this: 3,000 hours of wire tap-intercepted calls involving college BB coaches. 3K.
This is so far from over, it's ridiculous.

Ed is a journalist for the Las Vegas Review-Journal and co-host of a local radio show here in Vegas.  I respect his opinion.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #653 on: February 24, 2018, 01:17:29 AM »
Why? I asked in the other thread. Are there examples out there of immediate punishment? If this is a legal issue with the feds, that takes time. If it's an NCAA violation, that takes time in committees and such.

Tucson paper calling for Miller ouster immediately and not participation in Pac 12 and NCAA Tournament.  That's how bids open up.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/greg-hansen-arizona-s-program-has-gone-way-out-of/article_55cfad32-540d-5fca-b26e-9af3aacc6c5b.html
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #654 on: February 24, 2018, 01:24:24 AM »
Tucson paper calling for Miller ouster immediately and not participation in Pac 12 and NCAA Tournament.  That's how bids open up.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/greg-hansen-arizona-s-program-has-gone-way-out-of/article_55cfad32-540d-5fca-b26e-9af3aacc6c5b.html

Maybe I wasn't clear earlier.

I was coming at it from an NCAA or FBI punishment perspective. Based on those 2 organizations, I do not believe either would have the time to go through the correct procedures to hand down punishments for this year's NCAA tourney.

Self-punishment is, obviously, completely different.

So, let's assume no universities do anything on their own. Do you believe, in that case, that any bids would open up this year?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #655 on: February 24, 2018, 01:32:02 AM »
Based on Crean's heritage with Izzo, and two of Crean's assistants at one time working for him at Indiana that are named, I'd say Mr. Crean might have some splain'n to do. 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #656 on: February 24, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
Maybe I wasn't clear earlier.

I was coming at it from an NCAA or FBI punishment perspective. Based on those 2 organizations, I do not believe either would have the time to go through the correct procedures to hand down punishments for this year's NCAA tourney.

Self-punishment is, obviously, completely different.

So, let's assume no universities do anything on their own. Do you believe, in that case, that any bids would open up this year?

I agree with your view that it will take time to go through the process the NCAA has and bids would not open this year, but my contention is still that bids open up because schools will take action on their own in the form of self punishment this season.

USA curling is keeping me up late.  Not sure how much stamina I have left.  Good night.
— Plato

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #657 on: February 24, 2018, 01:40:18 AM »
As bad as the Arizona hoops program looks, their football program has issues too:

Arizona Wildcats football players gang-raped female students and staffers, amended lawsuit claims
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/football/arizona-wildcats-football-players-gang-raped-female-students-and-staffers/article_85a85b6c-c54f-5604-8b98-c4a7f9d90bb4.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:23:02 AM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

fjm

• All American
« Reply #658 on: February 24, 2018, 05:16:44 AM »
3,000 hours of wire tapping?

I love MU and I feel like our program is pretty clean. But 3,000 makes me nervous.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #659 on: February 24, 2018, 06:20:14 AM »
People don't see how good the FBI is at following the money that is their specialty. Then they go for the easy kills, tax evasion, interstate commerce fraud or something along those lines (once you use Internet cellphone), bribery/ blackmail.

This is exactly right. They find leverage and they don't play their hand too early. And they don't "trap" you into making a false statement. And theyll repeat that and flip people up and up the chain. Miller is a big fish, but there's lots more to come.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #660 on: February 24, 2018, 07:05:41 AM »
I wish I could be found guilty of a major violation at work and still be guaranteed over $2 mil a year for the next four years even if I got fired for it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #661 on: February 24, 2018, 07:18:28 AM »
Nice noin' ya, Sean. Adios motherfooker, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #662 on: February 24, 2018, 08:37:19 AM »
When all is said and done I hope we will see fewer recruits following Assistants to new programs.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #663 on: February 24, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »
When all is said and done I hope we will see fewer recruits following Assistants to new programs.

You mean like Markus?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #664 on: February 24, 2018, 09:45:14 AM »
Based on Crean's heritage with Izzo, and two of Crean's assistants at one time working for him at Indiana that are named, I'd say Mr. Crean might have some splain'n to do.

You can aks your pal Fred Glass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #665 on: February 24, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
Kollege athletics, like sew many udder thin's, is won ginormous cesspool, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #666 on: February 24, 2018, 10:42:05 AM »
I wish I could be found guilty of a major violation at work and still be guaranteed over $2 mil a year for the next four years even if I got fired for it.
You'll probably blow almost all of it on lawyers

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #667 on: February 24, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »
This is exactly right. They find leverage and they don't play their hand too early. And they don't "trap" you into making a false statement. And theyll repeat that and flip people up and up the chain. Miller is a big fish, but there's lots more to come.

They may not "trap" you, but they will ask a lot of questions that they already know the answer to.

Federal law includes up to 5 years in prison for lying.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:15:03 PM by Jockey »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #668 on: February 24, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »
Sean Miller will not coach tonight against Oregon.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #669 on: February 24, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
Sean Miller will not coach tonight against Oregon.

That is pretty big news.  Arizona may be trying to be proactive and hope to avoid crippling long term sanctions.

Will Ayton be playing?  Otherwise it kind of rings hollow.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #670 on: February 24, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
Yes.  AZ said Ayton will play tonight. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #671 on: February 24, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »
That is pretty big news.  Arizona may be trying to be proactive and hope to avoid crippling long term sanctions.

Will Ayton be playing?  Otherwise it kind of rings hollow.

as I posted in the other thread, this is the way Pitino was cut loose.  Miller was effectively fired today.  They are negotiating a severance to prevent a lawsuit,  Expect his firing to be formalized in a few days.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #672 on: February 24, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
They may not "trap" you, but they will ask a lot of questions that they already know the answer to.

Federal law includes up to 5 years in prison.

Exactly. They usually know the answers to most of the questions they ask. As soon as you deny doing something they can prove you did, you’re toast.

“But coach, this email you sent last year says....”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #673 on: February 24, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »
Somebody F-ed up big time on his contract.   Miller gets more $ if he is fired for cause than if his is fired without cause.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #674 on: February 24, 2018, 07:22:59 PM »
Somebody F-ed up big time on his contract.   Miller gets more $ if he is fired for cause than if his is fired without cause.

There's some dispute if people are reading the contract correctly.