[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1893727 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: NM
« Reply #6375 on: April 17, 2019, 09:04:53 AM »
Doc,

What steps have you taken to ensure the safety of an exposed and at risk patient population from the dangers of rogue pubic hair release in Mayo Clinic operating theaters?

Like Typhoid Mary these bearded and moss covered commandos are ratcheting up the risk level for the weak, the infirm, and the invalid.

And while I am a firm believer in a complete and thorough regimen of training and inspection I have to wonder how does one evaluate the particular effectiveness?

A daunting task, Doc.

Despite the OR memo back in the 80s (when I was at a different hospital), the rogue hair issue has always been outside my area of work expertise, Crash....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6376 on: April 17, 2019, 09:31:37 AM »
Anyone in the mood for a Scoop Red Delicious apple summit?

[ducks]

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6377 on: April 17, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
Maybe Arby's has the meat...but Carl's Jr. has the CBD Burger....

The chain said on Wednesday that it will sell the Rocky Mountain High: CheeseBurger Delight burger at one location in Denver, Colorado for just one day (April 20th, of course). The burger features a sauce infused with CBD, or cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive hemp derivative.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/business/carls-jr-cbd-burger/index.html

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6378 on: April 17, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »
Maybe Arby's has the meat...but Carl's Jr. has the CBD Burger....

The chain said on Wednesday that it will sell the Rocky Mountain High: CheeseBurger Delight burger at one location in Denver, Colorado for just one day (April 20th, of course). The burger features a sauce infused with CBD, or cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive hemp derivative.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/business/carls-jr-cbd-burger/index.html

So, the Milk Bar Restaurant, which has a very popular dessert called Crack Pie, is renaming it to Milk Bar Pie, because, you know, crack..

https://thetakeout.com/crack-pie-being-renamed-to-milk-bar-pie-christina-tosi-1834057323
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6379 on: April 17, 2019, 02:34:48 PM »
So, the Milk Bar Restaurant, which has a very popular dessert called Crack Pie, is renaming it to Milk Bar Pie, because, you know, crack..

https://thetakeout.com/crack-pie-being-renamed-to-milk-bar-pie-christina-tosi-1834057323

Reminds me of one of the most unfortunate brand names during the AIDS epidemic.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #6380 on: April 17, 2019, 02:49:18 PM »
The Wisconsin Tourism Federation changed its name to Tourism Federation of Wisconsin in 2009 after being made aware that its acronym WTF had become crude internet slang.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6381 on: April 17, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
Sioux City, Iowa lobbied to have its airline code changed.  Later they decided it was better to just own it.

Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6382 on: April 17, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »
I remember Wisconsin's WTF moment. I'm well beyond the age to on the cutting edge of the latest acronyms, but even I thought "WTF?!?" when I heard about their logo choice.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6383 on: April 17, 2019, 05:17:30 PM »
So Lori Laughlin's husband lied to his own parents about his "college education" so they would give him "tuition" money that he could use to start a t-shirt company. Apparently this guy wasn't a novice at lying to get ahead....

In an October 2016 post on the fashion blog "The Hundreds," author Bobby Hundreds writes that Giannulli "not only convinced his dad that he was a student by falsifying report cards, Mossimo got him to fork over fees with fake tuition bills. In fact, Moss used this seed money to initiate his foray into the T-shirt biz."

Giannulli was never a full time student at the University of Southern California. And his daughter, social media influencer Olivia Jade, has also said in a podcast interview that he used his tuition money to start his iconic business.
------
Hundreds writes in his blog that Giannulli said "SC was expensive, so that was how I was starting my company. I used all that cash... I used to have hundreds of thousands of cash in my top drawer in my fraternity house.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/us/mossimo-giannulli-usc-college-admissions-scandal/index.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:20:03 PM by GooooMarquette »

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #6384 on: April 17, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »
Care to share his favorites?  My daughter is in the same process.  Unfortunately, Marquette isn't even on her list.  But, then again, neither is ND.  I haven't asked for a full ranking, but Purdue is a clear No. 1.  Unfortunately, the program she applied to is extremely competitive, so we don't know if she'll get in.  We'll hear next week.  If she doesn't get in, she'll need to rank the others.

How did it work out?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6385 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
How did it work out?

Your timing is eerie.  Earlier this evening she made it official: Purdue it is.  Boiler Up!

And you?

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6386 on: April 17, 2019, 10:47:49 PM »
Your timing is eerie.  Earlier this evening she made it official: Purdue it is.  Boiler Up!

And you?

Congratulations to her! Solid school.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #6387 on: April 18, 2019, 06:18:35 AM »

And you?

UVA.

Good luck.

BTW, Marquette worked the hardest to get him there.  I was quite impressed.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6388 on: April 18, 2019, 07:46:53 AM »
Congratulations to her! Solid school.

Thank you.  It was actually kind of funny, because out of my kids, she's the one that is nearly incapable of making decisions.  She agonizes over every choice, usually until we simply force her to make a decision.  For years I've dreaded the college selection process with her.

Until we set foot on Purdue's campus.  I think she knew within 15 minutes that's where she wanted to go and she never really wavered.  I guess sometimes it just feels right.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6389 on: April 18, 2019, 07:50:22 AM »
UVA.

Good luck.

BTW, Marquette worked the hardest to get him there.  I was quite impressed.

Congrats to your son, Arch.  Fantastic school.

I think next basketball season will be fun for both of our kids.  I would think that both schools will be pretty engaged.  Because it was already virtually certain that my daughter was going to Purdue, we really adopted them during the tournament and watched all their games.  My daughter -- who has been a casual fan at best in the past -- was really into it.  She was devastated to learn that Edwards was leaving.  But I think she "caught the bug" and will go to the games next year.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6390 on: April 18, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »
Care to share his favorites?  My daughter is in the same process.  Unfortunately, Marquette isn't even on her list.  But, then again, neither is ND.  I haven't asked for a full ranking, but Purdue is a clear No. 1.  Unfortunately, the program she applied to is extremely competitive, so we don't know if she'll get in.  We'll hear next week.  If she doesn't get in, she'll need to rank the others.

How did it work out?

Since alums are asking about kids......

99% sure my daughter is headed to Xavier, our BE rival.  Marquette was her top choice my a mile and generous, but several universities she also did like were much more so, with Xavier being the most.  I get the sense XU is pushing for more Northeast students.  Going to MU would have added like a new Ford Expedition to her student loans.  MU said they wanted her badly, but were unable to budge on matching a 1/2 dozen other universities.

Although, it looks like MU will get my niece in the fall and my younger daughter says she has high interest 2 years from now. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #6391 on: April 18, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »

99% sure my daughter is headed to Xavier, our BE rival.  Marquette was her top choice my a mile and generous, but several universities she also did like were much more so, with Xavier being the most.  I get the sense XU is pushing for more Northeast students.  Going to MU would have added like a new Ford Expedition to her student loans.  MU said they wanted her badly, but were unable to budge on matching a 1/2 dozen other universities.

Although, it looks like MU will get my niece in the fall and my younger daughter says she has high interest 2 years from now.

For those of you one year ahead of me in this process (we are just doing tours now), are you seeing the packages offered by schools to be primarily needs-based, or a combination of needs and academic based assistance?  We're winnowing down the schools to apply to, but we've heard really varying stories on that aspect of the packages schools offer.

Thanks for any perspective you all have.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6392 on: April 18, 2019, 08:37:12 AM »

Any particular program/major that your daughter is looking into?

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #6393 on: April 18, 2019, 08:39:29 AM »

What I found interesting is MU offered a scholarship that essentially took tuition down to match the in-state rate for UVA.  I'm not sure if it was coincidence or intentional.

Good luck with her at Xavier.  Good school.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6394 on: April 18, 2019, 08:40:53 AM »

I hate to break it to you, but that likely means that Marquette's freshman class has the size and profile they were seeking and therefore wasn't going to budge from their offer.

But Xavier is a great place and she will get a chance to make it hers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6395 on: April 18, 2019, 08:43:20 AM »

Congrats!  My kids attend a Jesuit HS in Ohio, so we obviously know many kids who have gone to Xavier.  I've heard really good things from a lot of people.  I haven't been able to convince any of my kids to stay in-state, so Xavier was never a serious consideration for any of them.  Early comments suggest that I'm likely to go 0-4 on that, but that there is a slight possibility that I could go 1-4 on the Marquette thing.  Although, I wouldn't bet on it.

Good luck to your daughter.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6396 on: April 18, 2019, 08:47:32 AM »
For those of you one year ahead of me in this process (we are just doing tours now), are you seeing the packages offered by schools to be primarily needs-based, or a combination of needs and academic based assistance?  We're winnowing down the schools to apply to, but we've heard really varying stories on that aspect of the packages schools offer.

It's a combo. At Marquette, most kids get an Ignation Scholarship off the top regardless of need. In my kids' era (early 2010s) it was $10-$14K per year.  My kids got offered similar deals at every private university to which they applied.  It's pretty safe to say that unless you are going to an elite school, very few kids pay the list price. 

I don't think you are going to get a definite answer for your particular situation until you start applying.  This type of thing changes constantly.
Have some patience, FFS.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #6397 on: April 18, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »

My wife and  have been blessed, so we knew going in not to expect anything need-based.

My son applied to a mix of public and private.  Private offered academic based. 

I was a little surprised that the public schools (UVA, William and Mary and VATech) did not offer academic awards, although he has over 1500 SAT and 4.25 GPA.  I suspect they thought in-state tuition was enough of an enticement.

During the process, we were told by a financial aid and scholarship advisor that out of state public schools offered the best academic awards for good students.  However, my son had no interest in those near Virginia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6398 on: April 18, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »

What I found interesting is MU offered a scholarship that essentially took tuition down to match the in-state rate for UVA.  I'm not sure if it was coincidence or intentional.

Good luck with her at Xavier.  Good school.

In our experience, virtually everything was academic-based.  My oldest daughter was flirting with one of the Ivy League schools for a minute, and that was completely need-based.  But that is the only school where there was any meaningful need-based aid offered.  Everything else has been academic money with some potential loans thrown in.

Regarding Archie's comment, I'm convinced it's intentional.  Having gone through this a couple times now, it's not lost on me that most of the private schools have offered academic-based packages that made them roughly price competitive with our in-state public school options.  And Purdue's package also did the same despite our being out-of-state.  They're still a bit more than our in-state options, but most of them got close enough that it wasn't a deal-breaker.  At this point, I'm fairly convinced that their goal is to offer enough that the decision wouldn't come down to dollars.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6399 on: April 18, 2019, 09:07:48 AM »
In our experience, virtually everything was academic-based.  My oldest daughter was flirting with one of the Ivy League schools for a minute, and that was completely need-based.  But that is the only school where there was any meaningful need-based aid offered.  Everything else has been academic money with some potential loans thrown in.

Regarding Archie's comment, I'm convinced it's intentional.  Having gone through this a couple times now, it's not lost on me that most of the private schools have offered academic-based packages that made them roughly price competitive with our in-state public school options.  And Purdue's package also did the same despite our being out-of-state.  They're still a bit more than our in-state options, but most of them got close enough that it wasn't a deal-breaker.  At this point, I'm fairly convinced that their goal is to offer enough that the decision wouldn't come down to dollars.

That was our two daughters' experience as well...academic scholarship money, sometimes with offers of need-based loans.