Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1938896 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #7400 on: September 28, 2019, 02:04:32 PM »
Clockwork Orange, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #7401 on: September 28, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
Wife is out of town, so movie night for my 11 and 13 year old boys.  Definiately watching movies mom would disapprove of.

Vote:
Aliens
Die Hard
Terminator
Fight Club

Not sure I want to show them Fight Club yet.  They may be too young to appreciate its awesomeness.

And yes, I know I should wait until Christmas season for Die Hard, but I tried it last year and was very.strongly.vetoed, so it's on the list now.

Alien > Aliens. Terminator 2 > Terminator. That said, I say "welcome to the party, pal" and vote for Die Hard.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7402 on: September 28, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap, small indoor drone I can use to mess with my cat's mind?

Slim

• All American
« Reply #7403 on: September 28, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »
Clockwork Orange, hey?

Best line:

“No time for the ‘ol in out, gotta read the meter!”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7404 on: September 28, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
Alien > Aliens.

You are so right on this. When I cast my vote for Aliens, I intended for it to be Alien.

Terrific movie, and a young Sigourney Weaver in a t-shirt.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7405 on: September 28, 2019, 11:55:26 PM »
Wife is out of town, so movie night for my 11 and 13 year old boys.  Definiately watching movies mom would disapprove of.

Vote:
Aliens
Die Hard
Terminator
Fight Club

Not sure I want to show them Fight Club yet.  They may be too young to appreciate its awesomeness.

And yes, I know I should wait until Christmas season for Die Hard, but I tried it last year and was very.strongly.vetoed, so it's on the list now.

So ... what did you decide?

I'd have gone with Terminator 2 (which you didn't nominate, but, as Warrior Code said, was better than Terminator).

Definitely not Fight Club. Can't go wrong with Die Hard. Alien is the stuff of some serious nightmares.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7406 on: September 29, 2019, 07:56:59 AM »
We went with Alien.  Frankly, it was a dud. 

It doesn't play like a 40 year old movie, but .. I think the best word for it was .. flat.  The kids were not excited nor scared by it, and gave it 2 stars -- same as me.    It felt like I wasted their time. 

I remember Aliens (2) being waaay better, but they vetoed that as movie #2 .. they'd had enough of that.  I'll show that to them some day, but now I'll have to say "really, trust me, it's better than the first one."

So when I was picking the next movie, I was thinking Terminator 1, but didn't want to have the same experience .. so went with T2, which was a hit and the boys enjoyed it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7407 on: September 29, 2019, 08:03:30 AM »

Vote:
Aliens
Die Hard
Terminator
Fight Club

I caught my kids watching Red Heat. Every time the F-word came up they were laughing. They were counting how many times it was said in the movie. They were at 37 and the movie wasn't even half over.

I guess if you want to be a good script writer in Hollywood you better make sure you know how to spell the F-word.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:05:29 AM by muwarrior69 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7408 on: September 29, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »

It doesn't play like a 40 year old movie, but .. I think the best word for it was .. flat.  The kids were not excited nor scared by it, and gave it 2 stars -- same as me.    It felt like I wasted their time. 

I remember Aliens (2) being waaay better, but they vetoed that as movie #2 .. they'd had enough of that.  I'll show that to them some day, but now I'll have to say "really, trust me, it's better than the first one."

So when I was picking the next movie, I was thinking Terminator 1, but didn't want to have the same experience .. so went with T2, which was a hit and the boys enjoyed it.

Good call on T2. Fun movie. A great villain. And as a bonus, it even has a protagonist who was about their age.

Too bad about Alien. I haven't seen it since I saw it in the movies 1,000 years ago, but I guess I'm not surprised it's dated.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #7409 on: September 29, 2019, 10:21:47 AM »

Ah, too bad. I watched both again last year and really enjoyed them, but I still like Alien quite a bit more. It's more of a thriller/suspense movie, whereas Aliens is more of an action movie.

T2 is probably the GOAT action flick though.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7410 on: September 29, 2019, 10:35:29 AM »
No “Rambo: Last Blood” love?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7411 on: September 29, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
I've had a yahoo email address for .. maybe 20 years. 

I've noticed a massive reduction in spam.  I used to get 30-40 per day.  I just looked .. I haven't gotten a single piece of spam in 8 days.

I don't understand how I got spam blacklisted, but yay for me?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7412 on: September 29, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »
No “Rambo: Last Blood” love?

Somehow, a tough guy in a walker doesn't sound too compelling.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7413 on: October 01, 2019, 08:51:20 AM »
I can't believe the grammar thread got locked before I had a chance to weigh in!

Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7414 on: October 01, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
I can't believe the grammar thread got locked before I had a chance to weigh in!

So thats something your good at?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #7415 on: October 01, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7416 on: October 01, 2019, 10:13:31 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7417 on: October 01, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7418 on: October 02, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »
So, a couple Scoopers and I were talking last night.

Firstly, that renting a place where internet is included in the rent is nice, but I really wanted a place that had a nacho cheese machine included in rent.   Who could pass that up?

This morning, fresh with ideas of a new real estate empire, I'm looking up the word "nacho" and it turns out..

Nachos ..  the dish was devised in 1940 by Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya García (1895-1975), a waiter at a restaurant in Piedras Negras, Mexico.

So next time you buy some Doritos .. think about Ignacio Garcia, without whom you would be eating cool ranch Doritos.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7419 on: October 02, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »

Firstly, that renting a place where internet is included in the rent is nice, but I really wanted a place that had a nacho cheese machine included in rent.   Who could pass that up?

This morning, fresh with ideas of a new real estate empire, I'm looking up the word "nacho" and it turns out..

Nachos ..  the dish was devised in 1940 by Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya García (1895-1975), a waiter at a restaurant in Piedras Negras, Mexico.

So next time you buy some Doritos .. think about Ignacio Garcia, without whom you would be eating cool ranch Doritos.

Ignacio “Nacho” Garcia named after the Jesuit Founder. This completes the six degrees of  Fr. Marquette, and is truly eligible for a miracle classification.

Velveeta, however, was invented by Emil Frey. Unsure of his Jesuit connection.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7420 on: October 02, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

The Latin version of "Ignacio" is Ignatius.

I always thought it would be cool to open up a chain of Mexican carryout places located on Jesuit university campuses and call it "Padre Nacho's".
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7421 on: October 02, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »

But did the nachos invented by Nacho Garcia look or taste anything like the Doritos we eat today?

I ask because my first encounter with "nachos" was in the late 70s when a high school friend and I stopped at the Astrodome for a game during a summer road trip. My recollection is that they were basically salted tortilla chips with melted cheese and a load of jalapeños. In other words, really no closer to "original" Doritos than they are to cool ranch Doritos. And if I had to guess, the nachos being eaten by the hispanic community in Houston in the 70s would be closer than Doritos to the original nachos.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7422 on: October 02, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »

So you cats had a Nacho Summit then?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7423 on: October 02, 2019, 05:09:17 PM »
Still looking for recommendations on a cheap, small indoor drone to mess with the cat.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think of this...on Scoop of all places.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7424 on: October 02, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »
Still looking for recommendations on a cheap, small indoor drone to mess with the cat.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think of this...on Scoop of all places.

Drone and cat owner here.  This is .. a bad idea.  Firstly, because drones have whirling blades of death.   I've gotten whacked before and .. it hurts like a MFer.

The cat is likely going to just run away and you'll smash your drone into a wall.  Or maybe the cat will swipe at it, breaking the drone and getting hurt too, and now you're at the vet making up a story about how it happened.

Using a drone on a cat only makes sense after like 8 beef n cheddars, so good luck.