[Today at 06:55:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1935986 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #5375 on: December 02, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »
I hate to change my own NM topic, but I just heard the sentence "that is pro level cornhole right there" on an ESPN network.  And now I've seen a commercial for cornhole products.  I, I....I've got nothing...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5376 on: December 02, 2018, 08:36:56 PM »
Ring up F*ckin', heel no, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5377 on: December 02, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
I hate to change my own NM topic, but I just heard the sentence "that is pro level cornhole right there" on an ESPN network.  And now I've seen a commercial for cornhole products.  I, I....I've got nothing...

NM

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5378 on: December 03, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »
Mods hibernating?  Over 2 weeks without a thread-lock in Superbar.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5379 on: December 03, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »

I think they will be waking up pretty soon based on a few posts.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5380 on: December 03, 2018, 04:32:15 PM »

Busy celebrating Badger Hate Week. A worthy cause.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5381 on: December 03, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
Decent burger place by my house puts ketchup on the bottom bun instead of the top. First time I had it, I ate it at home and was able to put ketchup on properly. Eating it in the car, when they forget to give ketchup made it an awkward burger experience.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5382 on: December 04, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »
White fudge covered Oreos, great seasonal item or greatest seasonal item?
Second to Fudge Mint Oreos
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5383 on: December 04, 2018, 10:49:41 AM »
Do those commercials where people happily say, "I owed $10,000 in taxes, but I only had to pay $2,000!" bother anyone else?  I mean they are basically saying that I took $8,000 out of the public coffers that you will have to make up for.

That and the radio one for some company that negotiates credit card debt that is on all the time that says, "Don't let the Credit Card companies trick you into thinking you have to pay your entire bill."  Trick?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5384 on: December 04, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
Yup.   I have always heard ..... 'I screwed all y'all'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5385 on: December 04, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »
Do those commercials where people happily say, "I owed $10,000 in taxes, but I only had to pay $2,000!" bother anyone else?  I mean they are basically saying that I took $8,000 out of the public coffers that you will have to make up for.

That and the radio one for some company that negotiates credit card debt that is on all the time that says, "Don't let the Credit Card companies trick you into thinking you have to pay your entire bill."  Trick?

Maybe the IRS shouldn't settle so quickly with these folks - but then, you would be complaining about the evil bureaucrats.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5386 on: December 04, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
Without wading too deep into the IRS situation, I will say that the prudent thing for an IRS agent  to do is to properly weigh the cost/benefit analysis of a settlement.  His job is to always maximize the recoverable dollars while minimizing costs.  Now does he get 'lazy' and fail to perform at that level? Perhaps.

One of the things about workout is that you always have to be able to see the situation for what it actually is, not what you wish it to be or maybe was at the beginning.  That is one reason that it is a specialized field within credit/banking.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5387 on: December 04, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »

File this in the "I could be wrong, but" category, I think that theoretical $10K is mostly penalties and interest that the IRS is agreeing to waive, not the actual tax bill.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5388 on: December 04, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
File this in the "I could be wrong, but" category, I think that theoretical $10K is mostly penalties and interest that the IRS is agreeing to waive, not the actual tax bill.

The IRS does have programs whereby you get some of your tax debt relieved if there are certain financial criteria.  They are called an "Offer in Compromise."  But you oftentimes don't need an attorney to help with this.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #5389 on: December 04, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »

When someone references such a big discount, it is usually a discount from interest and penalties, as mentioned.  The person is paying what they owned and some interest, unless there is a really valid excuse and then it is probably just what was owed without interest/penalty (e.g. of a legitimate excuse: The POA was supposed to file and pay but the POA stole the money and I didn't know until contacted by the IRS; my accountant screwed up the taxes and I didn't know I owned, etc). But even in these cases, the IRS will want what should have been paid...

Also, for the big discounts on the ads, another factor is that someone may not have filed and the IRS sent a tax bill that is always very favorable to the IRS... e.g. someone sells a rental property for 100K.  Actual taxes owned maybe nothing or near nothing on the sale.  But, the IRS, if this person didn't file or didn't report it will take the worst case and send a bill for say 25K.  Now, the guy files and owned 2K, plus some interest and penatlies, etc.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5390 on: December 04, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »

Those have always angered me as well but has glow said, the IRS and CC companies likely settle based on a (rough) cost-benefit analysis. As for the companies that make a buck off of it, one (admittedly charitable) view is that they are helping the IRS and CC companies get some money that they otherwise would write off or spend a lot more money trying to collect.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #5391 on: December 04, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »

Just an opinion, but the truest level of cornhole is still played at the collegiate level.
https://twitter.com/iplaycornhole?lang=en

How 'bout them Bulldogs?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5392 on: December 04, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
Second to Fudge Mint Oreos
Candy Cane Jojos.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5393 on: December 04, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
Great news - snowball fights are once again legal in Severance, CO!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46439279

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5394 on: December 04, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
When someone references such a big discount, it is usually a discount from interest and penalties, as mentioned.  The person is paying what they owned and some interest, unless there is a really valid excuse and then it is probably just what was owed without interest/penalty (e.g. of a legitimate excuse: The POA was supposed to file and pay but the POA stole the money and I didn't know until contacted by the IRS; my accountant screwed up the taxes and I didn't know I owned, etc). But even in these cases, the IRS will want what should have been paid...

Also, for the big discounts on the ads, another factor is that someone may not have filed and the IRS sent a tax bill that is always very favorable to the IRS... e.g. someone sells a rental property for 100K.  Actual taxes owned maybe nothing or near nothing on the sale.  But, the IRS, if this person didn't file or didn't report it will take the worst case and send a bill for say 25K.  Now, the guy files and owned 2K, plus some interest and penatlies, etc.

Bolded part, all day long.  IRS rarely takes less than they are actually, honestly owed.  Even in bankruptcy, income taxes can't be discharged if you didn't file within two years... and with the power the IRS has to garnish celery, tax man gonna gets what's his.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5395 on: December 04, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
Bolded part, all day long.  IRS rarely takes less than they are actually, honestly owed.  Even in bankruptcy, income taxes can't be discharged if you didn't file within two years... and with the power the IRS has to garnish celery, tax man gonna gets what's his.

I saw what you did there.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5396 on: December 04, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
In the old days of Candid Camera, they admitted in the end that the crazy crap was just a joke.

thanks for ruining my memory of a classic show

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5397 on: December 04, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »
I saw what you did there.

I never miss a chance to sneak a little Herschel Krustofsky into the conversation.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5398 on: December 04, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »
I finished a jar of horseradish today.   I think I get one every year near St. Patrick's day for the corn beef sandwiches.   

So I'm ahead of schedule this year.  I guess I've got that going for me.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5399 on: December 04, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »
I finished a jar of horseradish today.   I think I get one every year near St. Patrick's day for the corn beef sandwiches.   

So I'm ahead of schedule this year.  I guess I've got that going for me.

Get out the blender (or food processor) and start chopping your own.  Buy as big or a little root as you need... you'll never go back to buying the crap they sell in jars.

feedback