'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1941061 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #5175 on: November 10, 2018, 06:38:57 AM »
Delta gold card.  Never charged for bags on Delta flights and higher priority boarding.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5176 on: November 10, 2018, 07:50:36 AM »
Delta gold card.  Never charged for bags on Delta flights and higher priority boarding.

This...or elite status. I haven’t flown in a while, but Delta Platinum Medallion status always avoided fees for me. The only issue is that a card (or elite status) only works on that airline and its partners.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5177 on: November 10, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »
This...or elite status. I haven’t flown in a while, but Delta Platinum Medallion status always avoided fees for me. The only issue is that a card (or elite status) only works on that airline and its partners.

Or Southwest.  Two free bags for everyone. 
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5178 on: November 10, 2018, 08:59:15 AM »
Yeah, and free views of folks' butt crack as they jockey for limited bin space on that cattle car, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5179 on: November 10, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »

I haven’t flown Southwest in years. Honest questions - do they still prevent you from reserving seats? If they allow it, do you have to pay extra or have some sort of elite status?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5180 on: November 10, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
Ewe kan reserve yo seat if yo kan nock da old lady, in front of ya, wile runnin' down da tarmac, hey?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:10:11 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5181 on: November 10, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »

If Spirit is the Greyhound of the skies, is Southwest the MegaBus?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5182 on: November 10, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
I haven’t flown Southwest in years. Honest questions - do they still prevent you from reserving seats? If they allow it, do you have to pay extra or have some sort of elite status?

No but early bird check in puts you in the first fifteen boarding. Pretty much any seat then. $15 per flight.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5183 on: November 10, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
No but early bird check in puts you in the first fifteen boarding. Pretty much any seat then. $15 per flight.

Minor nit - early bird checks you in automatically - likely anywhere from 30-60.  A-List and A-List Preferred board before those - usually 16-30.  1-15 is reserved for business select (the most expensive tickets), but usually you can upgrade to those positions at the airport for ~$40.

Disclaimer/Credentials: I've been on a Southwest flight > 60 times this year.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:09:46 PM by rocky_warrior »

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #5184 on: November 10, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »

They've actually adjusted to Dynamic pricing for early bird check-in.  Anywhere from 15-25 now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5185 on: November 10, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
So at the end of the day, the only unique benefit of Southwest is the checked bag policy.

Seats sound like other airlines, but worse...you have to pay your way to better seating opportunities, either by flying all the time or by adding cash to the mix, but you never know exactly where you’re sitting until you’re actually on the plane. Oof.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #5186 on: November 10, 2018, 04:02:22 PM »
So at the end of the day, the only unique benefit of Southwest is the checked bag policy.

Seats sound like other airlines, but worse...you have to pay your way to better seating opportunities, either by flying all the time or by adding cash to the mix, but you never know exactly where you’re sitting until you’re actually on the plane. Oof.

I use several airlines, but I prefer Southwest because I find they tend to be on time more often, and cancel flights less.  That is important to me.

To me, all domestic flights tend to be cattle cars unless you are upfront, and getting where I need to be when I need to be there is the tiebreaker for me choosing SW when I can.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5187 on: November 10, 2018, 04:20:44 PM »

within reason-yes.  multiple times, i will get on with my A-1 thru 7/8 and get my exit row seat without the seat in front of me and my wife will usually have something like A-20-30 or so and i don't recall anyone really even trying to sit next to me as there are so many still available.  when i get to the gate, i will inquire about the A-1thru 15.  if its below 7 or 8, i spend the extra $40.  hello exit row window.

i have heard of people trying to save like 3-4-5 seats or more-that's horse hockey!  but what ya gonna do?  sit there and beach at em?  then you get your way, but ya have to sit next to some low life for 4 hours scowl at ya

once i took that seat and a some big dude looking hung over as chit never taking his shades off sits in the aisle seat, leaving the middle seat empty between us.  people took one look at the guy and we had our deluxe accommodations all the way to vegas.  i thanked him and he growled something back to me
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5188 on: November 10, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »

Not the only benefit. 
 * No change fees is a HUGE benefit - plus you can generally cancel and get a credit to be used on another flight.  Also, if you change flights, and the new one is cheaper, you get a credit to use later.  Try that with any other airline!
 * Flight attendants are generally nicer than other airlines.
 * I don' think I've paid for a drink all year.  They keep sending me free drink coupons.
 * A-List is pretty easy to get.

I'm sure there's more.  If not for everyone, but I prefer them over other airlines. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5189 on: November 11, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
Not the only benefit. 
 * No change fees is a HUGE benefit - plus you can generally cancel and get a credit to be used on another flight.  Also, if you change flights, and the new one is cheaper, you get a credit to use later.  Try that with any other airline!
 * Flight attendants are generally nicer than other airlines.
 * I don' think I've paid for a drink all year.  They keep sending me free drink coupons.
 * A-List is pretty easy to get.

I'm sure there's more.  If not for everyone, but I prefer them over other airlines.

Screw all that!  I want to know ahead of time exactly which seat I am going to sit in!   ::)
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5190 on: November 11, 2018, 09:44:14 AM »
Minor nit - early bird checks you in automatically - likely anywhere from 30-60.  A-List and A-List Preferred board before those - usually 16-30.  1-15 is reserved for business select (the most expensive tickets), but usually you can upgrade to those positions at the airport for ~$40.

Disclaimer/Credentials: I've been on a Southwest flight > 60 times this year.

OK thanks.  That's right.

I haven't flown in awhile so I misspoke. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5191 on: November 11, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »

OK thanks.  That's right.

I haven't flown in awhile so I misspoke.

Even so - As long as you are in the A boarding group you can pretty much get the kind of seat you want - aisle or window, front or back of plane, etc.  You can usually get your choice if aisle or window even if you are in the B boarding group.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5192 on: November 11, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »
Even so - As long as you are in the A boarding group you can pretty much get the kind of seat you want - aisle or window, front or back of plane, etc.  You can usually get your choice if aisle or window even if you are in the B boarding group.

Yep.  I care much more about getting space for my carry on rather than knowing where I am sitting. 

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #5193 on: November 11, 2018, 09:54:54 AM »

Elite status is great - I’m Diamond on Delta and the perks are amazing. If only I didn’t have to fly so dang much to get there...
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5194 on: November 11, 2018, 02:47:41 PM »
Elite status is great - I’m Diamond on Delta and the perks are amazing. If only I didn’t have to fly so dang much to get there...

I never hit Diamond, but was Platinum on NW and then Delta for many years. Loved the perks - my favorites were the upgrades to Biz on family trips to Europe and Asia - but as you said, the constant travel got tiresome.

Now I no longer travel for work and both daughters are on their own and living within easy driving distance, so airports are mostly in my past. :)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5195 on: November 11, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »
Screw all that!  I want to know ahead of time exactly which seat I am going to sit in!   ::)

It isn't so much the exact seat ( ::)), but knowing my family would be together on vacations without having to coax other passengers, or getting in exit rows, or other benefits of reserved seating.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5196 on: November 11, 2018, 04:40:59 PM »
It isn't so much the exact seat ( ::)), but knowing my family would be together on vacations without having to coax other passengers, or getting in exit rows, or other benefits of reserved seating.

In 20+ years of family travel on Southwest, that's never happened to us. Family Boarding is after group B so it's never an issue. There are a few times when I have witnessed a flight attendant bribe a passenger with free drinks to move so a honeymooning couple could sit together, but really, anyone who checks in at the 24-hour mark has no problem whatsoever in sitting together. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:45:39 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5197 on: November 11, 2018, 05:54:16 PM »

If you cant find seats together for the fam, give one of the kids a pinch on the arm, make em start crying.   Nobody wants to sit by a crying kid.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5198 on: November 11, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »
Four does diggin' WN, y'all likely think Ponderosa iz value and Gibson's iz a waist of scratch, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5199 on: November 11, 2018, 06:01:06 PM »
And folks wunder y our endowment iz sew low, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback