Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?  (Read 54992 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »
Wait ... we're not the Warriors any more?

Jeesh - miss a little, miss a lot.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2017, 05:34:54 AM »
   " Twatter account"

typo or a new dating site?  :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »
Wah, wah, wah.

It is about time MU fans man up on this subject.

I loved the Warrior nickname and still call them that ofttimes. But it ain't coming back, so quit whining.

And the answer is very simple to find if you'd stop crying long enough to do so.

The thing about Warriors, Jockey...they never quit.

DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
Check the front of today's NYT magazine section. It shows an American Indian (Native American) HS team - across their chests in script is "Warriors." Are they sticking it to the tribe's elders by perpetuating a stereotype of warmongering savages? Think how offended they must be.
Or are they thumbing their noses as the PC European Americans that decide based on their own moral code what is best for everyone?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
Holy Cross is now getting rid of the Crusaders imagery (not nickname).  Pretty crazy they were almost in the Big East back in the day.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
Check the front of today's NYT magazine section. It shows an American Indian (Native American) HS team - across their chests in script is "Warriors." Are they sticking it to the tribe's elders by perpetuating a stereotype of warmongering savages? Think how offended they must be.
Or are they thumbing their noses as the PC European Americans that decide based on their own moral code what is best for everyone?

Or maybe they use respectful imagery that doesn't stereotype?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #231 on: April 08, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »

Or maybe they use respectful imagery that doesn't stereotype?

The imagery we used the last 20 years was respectful and designed by a Native American.

People can judge for themselves, here is the link to article with many pictures of the uniforms and warmups.  Scroll down a bit in the article to see variety. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/magazine/arlee-warriors-montana-basketball-flathead-indian-reservation.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmagazine
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #232 on: April 08, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »

It's different when a school that serves primarily native students uses the mascot than when a school that serves primarily white students. That's why the NCAA granted waivers to certain schools like UNC Pembroke
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #233 on: April 08, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
Also,  it's now officially the off-season
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #234 on: April 08, 2018, 02:12:19 PM »

This argument has echoes of being mad that some hip-hop artists can use a certain word that you as a "European American" cannot.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #235 on: April 08, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »

Maybe it's because they are actually Native Americans.

Had the tribes the Jesuits work with not raised the issue perhaps MU remains the Warriors.  The request came from actual Native Americans.

What is "PC run amok" for a certain segment of America: the inability to use racial, sexist and bigoted slurs in public anymore.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #236 on: April 08, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »
Were people this pissed off for decades when we changed the nickname from Hilltoppers?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »
Were people this pissed off for decades when we changed the nickname from Hilltoppers?

No they were too excited by the Native American theme sweeping through Milwaukee after the Braves came to town. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »

Hilltoppers was offensive to students from Illinois. An easy and popular decision to change the nickname.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »
Hilltoppers was offensive to students from Illinois. An easy and popular decision to change the nickname.

I think Hilltoppers is a great nickname

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »
I think Hilltoppers is a great nickname

It was a joke.  Some Wisconsinites refer to people from Illinois as "flat landers."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2018, 03:28:08 PM »
It was a joke.  Some Wisconsinites refer to people from Illinois as "flat landers."

I know it was a joke. I was just saying I like the nickname Hilltoppers in general. I can only think of one college who rocks the Hilltoppers nickname.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »
I know it was a joke. I was just saying I like the nickname Hilltoppers in general. I can only think of one college who rocks the Hilltoppers nickname.

I like it too.  Would definitely support that nickname if MU went back to it.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2018, 04:04:53 PM »
The Cleveland Indians, under order from MLB, are currently removing Chief Wahoo from all uniforms and stadium signs by 2019.  The Braves got rid of Chief Noc-A-Homa in the 80's.  Illinois got rid of Illiniwek in 2007.  San Diego State have recently been in the news for an attempt to remove their Aztec imagery. 

No one wants to complain or argue against Central Michigan or Florida State since they were granted "exceptions" by the NCAA. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »
No one wants to complain or argue against Central Michigan or Florida State since they were granted "exceptions" by the NCAA.

Both schools have explicit permission from the respective tribal leadership (Chippewa, Seminole) to use the nickname.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »
Both schools have explicit permission from the respective tribal leadership (Chippewa, Seminole) to use the nickname.

Though Florida State only has permission from some of the Seminole nations, not all of them.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
The imagery we used the last 20 years was respectful and designed by a Native American.

People can judge for themselves, here is the link to article with many pictures of the uniforms and warmups.  Scroll down a bit in the article to see variety. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/magazine/arlee-warriors-montana-basketball-flathead-indian-reservation.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmagazine

And you're still trying to pretend you aren't Chicos?

Hysterical how many of your accounts have posted in this thread.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #247 on: April 08, 2018, 05:48:59 PM »
Interestin' how dis chit all hit da fan wit Sam as AD, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

burger

• All American
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »
I guess you guys were too young to remember the "defacto" rain dance and mascot we had back in the 70's and 80's.....

If the university for whatever reason had not gone there for whatever reason.....I think we could have kept the name....

When some dumbA$$ attached the Indian mascot to the name and did a jig at center court every game.....Hard to argue the ambiguity of the "name".....We were certainly at least politically incorrect.....

PS......Who gives a rat's A$$ about being politically correct.....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:27:39 PM by burger »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2018, 06:35:04 PM »
Da first Warrior wuz 'bout as appropriate at a basketball game as fartin' in church, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback