[Today at 02:27:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by We R Final Four
[Today at 01:59:35 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?  (Read 55650 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
Matthew 25:35-46
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink.   I was a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me.   I was ill and you comforted me, in prison and you came to visit me.
       Then the just will ask him: 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed your or see you thirsty and give you drink?   When did we welcome you away from home or clothe you in your nakedness?    When did we visit you when you were ill or in prison?'   the King will answer them: 'I assure you, as often as you did it for one of my least brothers, you did it for me.'
    Then he will say to those on his left:  'Out of my sight, you condemned, into that everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels!   I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink.   I was away from home and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing.   I was ill and in prison and you did not come to comfort me.'   Then they in turn will ask: 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or away from home or naked or ill on in prison and not attend you in your needs?'   He will answer them: 'I assure you, as often as you neglected to do it to one of the least ones, you neglected to do it to me.'   
These will go off to eternal punishment and the just to eternal life."

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2017, 09:06:55 AM »
Not really. I just know you think it's performance art, is there any reasoning behind that?

The poster in question has a history of saying contrary things.     Somebody else coined the phrase performance art in reference to his posts.  I agree with that assessment.    Sometimes. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
Free Chicos 2017
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »
He's around.   

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
OK, since when is a "Warrior" exclusively connected with native Americans? A Warrior doesn't need to incite anyone's feelings of racism or slight in any way, you know. I think a better mascot than Willie Wampun could do, though.

How about Arnold Schwarzenegger instead?? Could make guest appearances. Thoughts?? Seems like plenty of creative folks out there with time to contemplate this..... And interest in keeping this socially significant thread going....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2017, 10:56:10 AM »
OK, since when is a "Warrior" exclusively connected with native Americans? A Warrior doesn't need to incite anyone's feelings of racism or slight in any way, you know. I think a better mascot than Willie Wampun could do, though.

How about Arnold Schwarzenegger instead?? Could make guest appearances. Thoughts?? Seems like plenty of creative folks out there with time to contemplate this..... And interest in keeping this socially significant thread going....

I believe this was suggested but someone concluded that even without native imagery the name warriors would forever be connected to the original mascot and thus racist. I think that was a bit far but it seems like we can blame a handful of students that continued to wear headdresses or something?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2017, 11:11:48 AM »
I believe this was suggested but someone concluded that even without native imagery the name warriors would forever be connected to the original mascot and thus racist. I think that was a bit far but it seems like we can blame a handful of students that continued to wear headdresses or something?

More or less. If we had switched imagery back in the 60s or 70s it's could have been done.  I also think if we put it out in the open in the 90s we could have done it.  Acknowledged past racism,  apologize,  and make a strong effort going forward to erase any native imagery.  Instead we chose to run from the past and change the name.

What's done is done.  Pretty soon Golden Eagles will outnumber Warriors.  Only productive thing to do is embrace the Golden Eagle while remembering the history of the Warriors.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »
I know this is the dead of summer.

I know there is little recruiting news.

There is even less news about the team itself.

But really folks, is this the best we can do. Seven takes on Warriors?

Get over it.

We're Furry Birds. There is no circumstance short of somebody giving Marquette $1 billion (that's BILLION with a "B") in its endowment fund that would cause the university to even consider a Warrior nickname.

Even then, if Mark Cuban gave us $1 billion, the Jesuits probably would turn it down before we would ditch the Furry Bird.

So, move on. No news here.

There is only one thing to do

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
???

That Snopes article supports what I said. The derivation is from Fight Club, written by Chuck Pahlaniuk (who is gay) and the quote was from Tyler Durden, a character who was a paranoid delusion of the narrator. The term came into popular use recently from Neo-Nazis.

Did you get confused by my use of Neo-Nazis? Sorry, but I call the "Alt-Right" exactly what it is, which is contemporary fascism.

It is not a term used by just Neo Nazis.  It is used by  by the right, by comedians, by writers, and so many others, yes even the left. It isn't owned by a group as you are trying to do.  It was often used as a slight against millenials.  The history goes beyond Fight Club, it used to be a replacement term for Uncle Tom. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2017, 11:16:51 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgAXoEyCdE

A better version of 'Let it go'.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »
More or less. If we had switched imagery back in the 60s or 70s it's could have been done.  I also think if we put it out in the open in the 90s we could have done it.  Acknowledged past racism,  apologize,  and make a strong effort going forward to erase any native imagery.  Instead we chose to run from the past and change the name.

What's done is done.  Pretty soon Golden Eagles will outnumber Warriors.  Only productive thing to do is embrace the Golden Eagle while remembering the history of the Warriors.

Timing has nothing to do with it.  70's, 80's.  Could have been done in the 90's.  Could happen today.  Those are just excuses not to change it.

The same is true when teams change names.  Eventually the old name dies out, which is what is happening to Warriors. If the name can die out, so can the imagery. To suggest otherwise is not logical at all.

The Washington Bullets were around until 1997.  Do you see many Washington Bullets stuff around?  No.  The timing argument is nothing but an excuse.

Tennessee Oilers?  That happened in the 1990's, somehow everyone got beyond that to adopt Titans.  Charlotte Hornets, Bobcats, Hornets?  Anaheim Mighty Ducks.  New Orleans Hornets, Pelicans. 

If teams can change names and the old name goes away, then by all means the associated imagery can easily do the same when that is changed. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgAXoEyCdE

A better version of 'Let it go'.

A GBS fan???  Much respect my friend!

Elsa is still a better gif though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:37:48 AM by buckchuckler »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
Timing has nothing to do with it.  70's, 80's.  Could have been done in the 90's.  Could happen today.  Those are just excuses not to change it.

The same is true when teams change names.  Eventually the old name dies out, which is what is happening to Warriors. If the name can die out, so can the imagery. To suggest otherwise is not logical at all.

The Washington Bullets were around until 1997.  Do you see many Washington Bullets stuff around?  No.  The timing argument is nothing but an excuse.

Tennessee Oilers?  That happened in the 1990's, somehow everyone got beyond that to adopt Titans.  Charlotte Hornets, Bobcats, Hornets?  Anaheim Mighty Ducks.  New Orleans Hornets, Pelicans. 

If teams can change names and the old name goes away, then by all means the associated imagery can easily do the same when that is changed. 

Just last year I saw students on wearing Native "headresses."  The imagery hasn't died out yet.  And it won't if they bring back the name. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »
A GBS fan???  Much respect my friend!

Elsa is still a better gif though.

Well, yeah.   But GBS does a better version. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »

Think too many things happened remember while I was a student they introduced the solemn Native American warrior dance ritual and students booing. Administration tried, but it looked it was going nowhere and I recall all upperclassmen wanted wilie wampum back.
Goal is National Championship

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »

I seem to recall sometime in the early 90's before I graduated they had the current students vote on a new mascot to replace Blueteaux.  (I think I confused this with the nickname change?)
I remember one of the choices was a "warrior" that resembled "The Ultimate Warrior" from WWE wrestling.  Keeping the name but dropping the imagery.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2017, 02:35:43 PM »
I seem to recall sometime in the early 90's before I graduated they had the current students vote on a new mascot to replace Blueteaux.  (I think I confused this with the nickname change?)
I remember one of the choices was a "warrior" that resembled "The Ultimate Warrior" from WWE wrestling.  Keeping the name but dropping the imagery.

One was a caveman.  Another was a knight.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2017, 03:20:37 PM »
I would take the ultimate warrior anyday.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »

Correct.  Spread the word of Jesus.  But what do you think the "word of Jesus" is if not based in social justice?

"Jesus replied and said, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among robbers, and they stripped him and beat him, and went away leaving him half dead. "And by chance a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. "Likewise a Levite also, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.

"But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion, and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him. "On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.' "Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers' hands?" And he said, "The one who showed mercy toward him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do the same."

--Luke 10:30-37
Wealthy and successful people are the most charitable in society. Who do You think pays for all the buildings academics like you get to work in?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:11 PM »
Wealthy and successful people are the most charitable in society. Who do You think pays for all the buildings academics like you get to work in?

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Mark 12: 41-44
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2017, 04:49:52 PM »
41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Mark 12: 41-44
Ok so the widow had some good deeds
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2017, 05:13:25 PM »
Ok so the widow had some good deeds

Yes.  And Jesus would take issue with your definition of most charitable

23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is difficult for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

Matthew 19 23-24
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:35:26 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
Can't we ever just have fun and talk stupid nonsense on a basketball message board with out making every thing a "my philosophy is better than your philosophy" chat?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2017, 05:55:28 AM »
It is not a term used by just Neo Nazis.  It is used by  by the right, by comedians, by writers, and so many others, yes even the left. It isn't owned by a group as you are trying to do.  It was often used as a slight against millenials.  The history goes beyond Fight Club, it used to be a replacement term for Uncle Tom.

SMDH

Fight Club is where it was recently redefined and Neo-Nazis are the ones that popularized its recent use.

Seriously, this shouldn't be that difficult to explain. You even posted an article that supports my argument. Not sure why you're struggling so much with it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
Ignatius Loyola: "leader of the Storm troopers of the Catholic Church"
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2017, 07:53:53 AM »
If one student or fan showed up in a headdress, that is not a reason to shoot the idea down. It is impossible to have 100% compliance. 

However, if you offer the name back and new imagery, you have a much better chance of fans adopting the new image than the reverse because they only have one historical source to tie it to currently.

This is why Golden State (going back to the original intent of this thread) fans have Warrior gear that is not tied to Native American imagery, because a legitimate alternative exists. 

If the university said we are going back to Warriors and presented a fighter logo (not Native American), even modeling it after Jesuit founder Ignatius Loyola, the adoption rate would be off the charts.  The amount of merchandise would fly off the shelves.

What are the Jesuits going to do, hide from who the founder of their order and mission was?  Ignatius Loyola was a Spanish Aristocrat and soldier, it is who he was.  He was the founder of "the storm troopers of the Catholic Church".  Think about the marketing possibilities while being true to who he was.  Complete win win.