[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?  (Read 55736 times)

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
Re: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »
SMDH

Fight Club is where it was recently redefined and Neo-Nazis are the ones that popularized its recent use.

Seriously, this shouldn't be that difficult to explain. You even posted an article that supports my argument. Not sure why you're struggling so much with it.

If that is what you had said, I would have acknowledged it, but you said it was a neo-nazi term as if exclusively theirs, and that is an untrue statement.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Ignatius Loyola: "leader of the Storm troopers of the Catholic Church"
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »
If one student or fan showed up in a headdress, that is not a reason to shoot the idea down. It is impossible to have 100% compliance. 

However, if you offer the name back and new imagery, you have a much better chance of fans adopting the new image than the reverse because they only have one historical source to tie it to currently.

This is why Golden State (going back to the original intent of this thread) fans have Warrior gear that is not tied to Native American imagery, because a legitimate alternative exists. 

If the university said we are going back to Warriors and presented a fighter logo (not Native American), even modeling it after Jesuit founder Ignatius Loyola, the adoption rate would be off the charts.  The amount of merchandise would fly off the shelves.

What are the Jesuits going to do, hide from who the founder of their order and mission was?  Ignatius Loyola was a Spanish Aristocrat and soldier, it is who he was.  He was the founder of "the storm troopers of the Catholic Church".  Think about the marketing possibilities while being true to who he was.  Complete win win.

I think the Jesuits put out their position on this the last time we went through the nickname lottery.  Maybe they could pull off what you describe - they didn't feel they could.  I don't know that I 100% agree with them, but I do accept Fr Wild's reasons as valid and final at this point. 

The longer it has been, the less I feel like this is a critical issue for Marquette.  Particularly since the circumstances of the initial selection of the Warriors was just as silly as the circumstances surrounding the selection of the Golden Eagles.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »
Am I the last guy to realize "4to5years" is Chicos?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »
4to5, rather den just 5, is watt probably thru ya off, hey?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:48:53 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »

If you are just figuring it out, then...... yeah.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
The poster in question has a history of saying contrary things.     Somebody else coined the phrase performance art in reference to his posts.  I agree with that assessment.    Sometimes.
True.  Sometimes it is straight trolling.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »
Wealthy and successful people are the most charitable in society. Who do You think pays for all the buildings academics like you get to work in?
Yeah!  I mean, why aren't those people working at minimum wage paying donating just as much money for buildings?  Selfish losers, amiright?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:03 AM »
True.  Sometimes it is straight trolling.
Oops, I see MUFINY was given a holiday.  Often it is a performance artists objective to shock and offend his or her audience.  Sometimes they go too far.

Seeing the post that got him his vacation, can anyone doubt everything he posts is for effect?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »
Oops, I see MUFINY was given a holiday.  Often it is a performance artists objective to shock and offend his or her audience.  Sometimes they go too far.

Seeing the post that got him his vacation, can anyone doubt everything he posts is for effect?

The guy's life goal was to make a Twatter account that had probably 50 followers.  Sad, lonely life.  While he clearly is a performance artist, if I had a daughter I would certainly pray she was never near anybody like that guy.  He should probably be posting from corrections the next time he posts on Scoop.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »

Yes
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »

I thought it was hoopaloop
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »

No. I hadn't paid him any attention prior to this thread.

If that is what you had said, I would have acknowledged it, but you said it was a neo-nazi term as if exclusively theirs, and that is an untrue statement.

Says the guy that provided a link to support my posts. Use has expanded since, but the neo-Nazis usage of it popularized it in contemporary vernacular. Sorry I have to hold your hand through every post. Didn't think you'd need a guide dog to operate Scoop.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:50:30 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »

You and Brew.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
No. I hadn't paid him any attention prior to this thread.

Says the guy that provided a link to support my posts. Use has expanded since, but the neo-Nazis usage of it popularized it in contemporary vernacular. Sorry I have to hold your hand through every post. Didn't think you'd need a guide dog to operate Scoop.

Why does the origin of the term matter at all?  Everyone knows what it is and people use it to describe those like them, but with a different political persuasion.  The swastika used to be a religious symbol, but the origin doesn't much matter anymore does it? (I just wanted to keep with the nazi theme...)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2017, 04:25:08 PM »
Why does the origin of the term matter at all?  Everyone knows what it is and people use it to describe those like them, but with a different political persuasion.  The swastika used to be a religious symbol, but the origin doesn't much matter anymore does it? (I just wanted to keep with the nazi theme...)

I was pointing out the irony that a group known for anti-LGBT tendencies and anti-Islamic sentiment due to fear of Jihadis borrowed a term written by a gay man and spoken by the terrorist.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2017, 11:32:47 PM »

As mentioned, the term snowflake was used far earlier than fight club.  It was used in the 18th century and again in the 1970's.

This article, "No, 'Snowflake' as a Slang Term Did Not Begin with 'Fight Club'", does a pretty good job of stating the origins.  No need to handhold, we just disagree with your association with that group.  No big deal.  Enjoyed the cartoon, it was funny.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-less-lovely-side-of-snowflake

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #217 on: June 23, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »
Can't we ever just have fun and talk stupid nonsense on a basketball message board with out making every thing a "my philosophy is better than your philosophy" chat?
Not when Chicos oozes back in.  Although, that's impossible, right?  I mean, rocket assured us that he "was in a better place" and "wouldn't be back".  And there is no chance a guy would be so pathetic and desperate for attention that he'd come back to a board he was booted from at least a half-a-dozen times, right?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:52:29 AM by TSmith34 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #218 on: June 23, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
As mentioned, the term snowflake was used far earlier than fight club.  It was used in the 18th century and again in the 1970's.

This article, "No, 'Snowflake' as a Slang Term Did Not Begin with 'Fight Club'", does a pretty good job of stating the origins.  No need to handhold, we just disagree with your association with that group.  No big deal.  Enjoyed the cartoon, it was funny.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-less-lovely-side-of-snowflake

You're really good at sharing articles that support exactly what I say:

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
Those words fell out of use while snowflake settled into the lexicon with its hushed and lovely literal meaning...

That use very likely has its genesis in Chuck Palahniuk's 1996 cult-favorite book Fight Club, in which a member of the anti-consumerist Project Mayhem tells the other members: "You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone, and we are all part of the same compost pile."

I have repeatedly spoken about how Fight Club is the contemporary usage:

What's amusing is contemporary use of "snowflake" originated with Fight Club, written by Chuck Pahlaniuk.

The term came into popular use recently from Neo-Nazis.

Fight Club is where it was recently redefined and Neo-Nazis are the ones that popularized its recent use.

Use has expanded since, but the neo-Nazis usage of it popularized it in contemporary vernacular. Sorry I have to hold your hand through every post. Didn't think you'd need a guide dog to operate Scoop.

I think your time away has made you rusty on how to operate a message board. Contemporary use started with Fight Club and was popularized in recent years by Neo-Nazis. Both articles you shared have supported this. Any other non-dictionary definition use predates modern use by at least 20+ years, including one regional usage that did not spread beyond a single state and was used over 150 years ago.

Is there like a MUScoopJunior.com you could visit for awhile to brush up on how this message board debating thing works? Or do you want to look for a few more articles that support my argument?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #219 on: June 23, 2017, 12:03:37 PM »
I can see snowflake taking this thread places. How about Marquette snowflakes as a new name!
Goal is National Championship

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
and was popularized in recent years by Neo-Nazis.

i.e., the alt-right, i.e., Breitbart, i.e., Bannon, i.e. Senior Advisor to the POTUS.  smh.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2017, 04:14:24 PM »
I'm hesitant to weigh into this thread but just a question: did any of you hear "snowflake" used in everyday nomenclature as commonly as it is now before this past election cycle?  I can honestly I did not.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
I was pointing out the irony that a group known for anti-LGBT tendencies and anti-Islamic sentiment due to fear of Jihadis borrowed a term written by a gay man and spoken by the terrorist.

Yeah, got it.  Ironic.  Still doesn't matter. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 23, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »
Sure are a lot of snowflakes weighing in on this discussion.  ;)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 23, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
On da contrare, no one here is as pure as da driven snow, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback