'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Nukem2
[Today at 02:29:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?  (Read 55784 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?
« Reply #250 on: April 08, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
I guess you guys were too young to remember the "defacto" rain dance and mascot we had back in the 70's and 80's.....

If the university for whatever reason had not gone there for whatever reason.....I think we could have kept the name....

When some dumbA$$ attached the Indian mascot to the name and did a jig at center court every game.....Hard to argue the ambiguity of the "name".....We were certainly at least politically incorrect.....

PS......Who gives a rat's A$$ about being politically correct.....

Probably those that are offended
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2018, 06:54:12 PM »
I guess you guys were too young to remember the "defacto" rain dance and mascot we had back in the 70's and 80's.....

If the university for whatever reason had not gone there for whatever reason.....I think we could have kept the name....

When some dumbA$$ attached the Indian mascot to the name and did a jig at center court every game.....Hard to argue the ambiguity of the "name".....We were certainly at least politically incorrect.....

PS......Who gives a rat's A$$ about being politically correct.....

Yep.  If MU had dropped the imagery when they dropped willie wampum, MU is still the Warriors today.  (IMO of course...)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »
This thread feels like some sort of seasonal right of passage. Like it's not the offseason until we again revisit the Warriors name debate.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2018, 07:02:15 PM »
This thread feels like some sort of seasonal right of passage. Like it's not the offseason until we again revisit the Warriors name debate.

A tradition unlike any other...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2018, 08:38:33 PM »

Also,  it's now officially the off-season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
If a benefactor were to pony a significant amount of money for a new building such as a new Warrior Arena on the vacant land , I am sure we could get the name back.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »
If a benefactor were to pony a significant amount of money for a new building such as a new Warrior Arena on the vacant land , I am sure we could get the name back.

as long as fr. wilde ain't in the house, right mr. stollenwerk?
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »
And you're still trying to pretend you aren't Chicos?

Hysterical how many of your accounts have posted in this thread.

I have one account and only one account.  What are these multiple accounts?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2018, 10:20:22 PM »

Never. MU has too much dignity to whore themselves like that. Even Pilarz would t have, that’s how dead and buried it is. Accept it, old timers, there is a better chance of Sherrif Clarke being elected as NAACP President than Marquette bring the Warriors again.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2018, 02:22:36 AM »
I'll always be a Marquette Warriors fan. That was the name of the team when I was at Marquette. And it was the name of the team during the glory days of Al McGuire. Personally, I thought it honored the Native Americans that our university's namesake, Jacques Marquette, met as a missionary.

That said, I understand and accept why the name changed. That decision was completely out of my control, and I try not to obsess over such things (like traffic or the weather). The entire process was handled about as poorly as possible, which didn't help. But I don't see any circumstances where it ever changes back.

Golden Eagles is an okay nickname. It ties to our school colors, and eagles are kind of badass. Or maybe it's because they fly like basketballs, or like basketball players, or something. I'm fine with it.

It's certainly no less unique than the Wildcats of Kentucky, Villanova, Arizona, Kansas State, Northwestern, etc. Or the the Bulldogs of Georgia, Butler, Fresno State, Gonzaga, Drake, Mississippi State, etc. And it's way better (in my opinion) than names such as Tar Heels, Demon Deacons, Billikens, Anteaters, Cornhuskers, Aggies, Red Storm or Hokies.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2018, 07:18:30 AM »
I'll always be a Marquette Warriors fan. That was the name of the team when I was at Marquette. And it was the name of the team during the glory days of Al McGuire. Personally, I thought it honored the Native Americans that our university's namesake, Jacques Marquette, met as a missionary.

Father Marquette would have been horrified that a school that bore his name would have that kind of mascot. He spent a great deal of his time in America protecting peaceful tribes from violent ones.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »
I just don’t care all that much anymore.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #262 on: April 09, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »

That said, I understand and accept why the name changed. That decision was completely out of my control, and I try not to obsess over such things (like traffic or the weather). The entire process was handled about as poorly as possible, which didn't help. But I don't see any circumstances where it ever changes back.

Golden Eagles is an okay nickname. It ties to our school colors, and eagles are kind of badass. Or maybe it's because they fly like basketballs, or like basketball players, or something. I'm fine with it.

It's certainly no less unique than the Wildcats of Kentucky, Villanova, Arizona, Kansas State, Northwestern, etc. Or the the Bulldogs of Georgia, Butler, Fresno State, Gonzaga, Drake, Mississippi State, etc. And it's way better (in my opinion) than names such as Tar Heels, Demon Deacons, Billikens, Anteaters, Cornhuskers, Aggies, Red Storm or Hokies.

Although I wish we would have gone back to Hilltoppers rather than choose a nickname used by more than a dozen other schools, I share this take.

We ain't going back, kiddies!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
Like the Crean hatred, it is time to move on from this, too. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
I too was a fan of the Hilltoppers when we had the vote - it at least bore some relationship to the school and its history. Still, as much as most of us would like the Warriors name back, the opportunity to divorce the imagery from the name has passed. To paraphrase Jerry: like a steam locomotive, rolling down the track, it’s gone, it’s gone, and nothing’s gonna bring it back.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »
Father Marquette would have been horrified that a school that bore his name would have that kind of mascot. He spent a great deal of his time in America protecting peaceful tribes from violent ones.

Quite inconsiderate of you to attempt to speak for Father Marquette.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »

Anteater is a great name.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »
I'm an assistant HS bkb coach and early this past season, I wore a Marquette t-shirt to practice.

Our head coach is 31 years old. He saw the t-shirt and said, "That's right, you went to Marquette. The Golden Eagles." I said: "We were the Warriors when I was there."

His response: "No way. I didn't know that."

The year the school did the vote on the nickname and it was decided to keep Golden Eagles, I was chatting with Travis Diener (then with the Pacers) and I asked him what he voted for. "Golden Eagles, of course. That's what I know, that's what we are."

There's a whole world out there that either doesn't give a chit about the Marquette Warriors or doesn't even know we ever were the Warriors.

But sure, it's always fun to have this discussion on Scoop ... every few months.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
I promise that it's merely a coincidence that a guy who chose the name "StillAWarrior" on this site 12 years ago (and on the other site years before that) ended up sending his kids to Walsh Jesuit High School -- Home of Warriors!  But I have to admit that it makes me smile.

Although I haven't heard any plans to change it, I'm sure it has come up and will come up in the future.  Earlier this year, the new Principal sought to ban the "Beat Hoban" t-shirts that the students all wear the week of the game with their biggest rival.  Ultimately, someone managed to change his mind on that.  But I can't help but think that someone who felt that those t-shirts were not appropriate would also have a problem with the Warriors name.  I hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:59:39 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »

Didn't no you got his cell number, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »
Quite inconsiderate of you to attempt to speak for Father Marquette.

I drew a conclusion based on data I have gathered.    :)

I am certain that any actual scholar of Father Marquette's life and works would say the same thing.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »
Jumpin’ Jesuits would have been catchy.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2018, 10:16:07 AM »
We could always go back to the few weeks we were the Gold!! That'll make everyone happy!!!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »

When Wojo or anybody else talks about "playing like Warriors," the context isn't violence and destruction. To be a warrior is to be strong, to show courage, and to persevere no matter what. Granted, that may be too nuanced of an interpretation. Maybe the Marquette Pioneers would have been a more fitting nickname from the very beginning, acknowledging Father Marquette's dedication to exploration and the pursuit of knowledge.

Regardless, none of that matter now. I'm fine with Golden Eagles.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »

An animal nickname is usually chosen for the association to strength or ferocity, to inspire both athletes and fans. Examples include Wolverines, Tigers, Bears, Huskies, etc. There is nothing fierce or strong about an Anteater. They look ridiculous. I'll take Golden Eagles over Anteaters any day.

Uniqueness isn't that important in a nickname. There's a reason we don't see teams named the Naked Mole Rats, Sea Lampreys or the Pink Fairy Armadillos.

feedback