[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Wojo !  (Read 137395 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo !
« Reply #325 on: March 12, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »
DJOver

We agree again. Good post!!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #326 on: March 12, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »
Agree that you shouldn't fire out of fear of losing players, coaches should stick around a lot longer than players.  However, when one of those players is likely to become the programs all time leading scorer, and probably pre season 1st team all Big East, another player could very easily be all Big East and another player is a 5* freshman, it would make you think twice. If you're going to fire someone you have to be 100% sure they're not the guy.  Wojo hasn't proved he can get the job done yet, but I'm not 100% convinced that he can't.  When I am, I'll call for him to step down.

I agree and think most people are here with a slight bias to optimism or pessimism depaending on their theory of the case.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #327 on: March 12, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »
dgies

I normally agree with your comments, but not firing a guy because you could take a step backwards is not solid reasoning, IMO. I would not fire Wojo, but not because a fear of losing guys. Programs can be turned around quickly, regardless of what some on here believe.

Agree that you shouldn't fire out of fear of losing players, coaches should stick around a lot longer than players.  However, when one of those players is likely to become the programs all time leading scorer, and probably pre season 1st team all Big East, another player could very easily be all Big East and another player is a 5* freshman, it would make you think twice. If you're going to fire someone you have to be 100% sure they're not the guy.  Wojo hasn't proved he can get the job done yet, but I'm not 100% convinced that he can't.  When I am, I'll call for him to step down. 

I agree with all of this. I'm more optimistic than some (obviously) but I'm not sold yet. The next two years will determine a lot, though if next year is as tense on Selection Sunday as this one was, we shouldn't need the second year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #328 on: March 12, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »
I would give him two years as you have two full seasons with:

Markus, Sam, Cain, GE, Theo, Morrow and Joey.

That is a ton of talent. If they squeak in next year as a 10 seed and win a game in the tourney,that should be enough to build on with the whole team coming back again.

I am like others that I am not convinced Wojo is the guy, but he has done well enough to get two more seasons with this roster.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #329 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »
I would give him two years as you have two full seasons with:

Markus, Sam, Cain, GE, Theo, Morrow and Joey.

That is a ton of talent. If they squeak in next year as a 10 seed and win a game in the tourney,that should be enough to build on with the whole team coming back again.

I am like others that I am not convinced Wojo is the guy, but he has done well enough to get two more seasons with this roster.
I think people here should be more realistic about our talent level. None of the players listed above would of started on this year's Villanova team.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:59 AM »
I think people here should be more realistic about our talent level. None of the players listed above would of started on this year's Villanova team.

Sam could have easily started over Paschall and Booth.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2018, 10:25:50 AM »

And I think people here should be more realistic about the probability of Wojo getting fired after next season, especially if we get into the NCAAs (whether or not by "sneaking in").
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2018, 10:27:10 AM »

Possibly, but we're talking about talent that can get us a top 3-4 finish in the conference and a 6ish seed in the tournament...Not at a Nova level yet, but a big step forward.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
Wojo is currently sitting here

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2018, 10:33:15 AM »
A first post for the ages

No way that's a first-time poster.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #335 on: March 12, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »

Yep, and he will be until the day he is fired.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #336 on: March 12, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »

This thread ...a story of Ice and Fire.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #337 on: March 12, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »
This thread ...a story of Ice and Fire.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #338 on: March 12, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
Like Diamond and Silk, ahuh/that's right, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2018, 11:43:42 AM »
If you are an idiot then yeah. If you want to lose Markus, Sam, Joey, etc. transferring out because their head coach changed then you probably need to go evaluate your mental health....

When Buzz left the cupboard emptied, if Wojo leaves the cupboard he has been building empties and we re-start....If you honestly want that instead of seeing what happens next year then you are an idiot. I can't sugarcoat it even if I try to.

Drink!

Was this part of a talking points memo that I missed? Good lord, that phrase comes up a lot.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #340 on: March 12, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
Drink!

Was this part of a talking points memo that I missed? Good lord, that phrase comes up a lot.

Okay, what could you have done with a team comprised of Derrick Wilson, Steve Taylor, Sandy Cohen, JJJ when he still had a broken shot and only half a season of Luke Fischer?

Car3no and Duane did all they could that year.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #341 on: March 12, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
Okay, what could you have done with a team comprised of Derrick Wilson, Steve Taylor, Sandy Cohen, JJJ when he still had a broken shot and only half a season of Luke Fischer?

Car3no and Duane did all they could that year.

I'm in no way saying Wojo walked into a team with a stacked roster. I think he had an uphill battle coming in. I just think it's funny how often that specific phrased gets used. It's like there was a PR note that went out to half the board that encouraged posters to stress the bare cupboard scenario if there are ever critiques about the rebuild.

For any Titus fans out there, this feels like the "good guy" they always talk about. It's the talking point that is always reverted to in order to lessen the sting of the current situation. "Bare cupboard" and "trust the process" are our "good guy" buzzwords. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2018, 12:16:29 PM »
dgies

I normally agree with your comments, but not firing a guy because you could take a step backwards is not solid reasoning, IMO. I would not fire Wojo, but not because a fear of losing guys. Programs can be turned around quickly, regardless of what some on here believe.

Such as? And please define "quickly".

And have these programs demonstrated long-term success?

TAMU (I think it was him...) did a TON of research on program-building.

wojoswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #343 on: March 12, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »

Here's an enlightening article for all of you impatient Scoopers who are itching to dump Wojo

http://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article204184964.html

Goose

• All American
« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
jesmu

I read TAMU's book report and was not overly impressed. Basically he cited examples to match the five year plan he preaches. Without doing any digging, I would say the Ohio State guy did a pretty good job this year. He did not inherit a great deal of talent and I think was hired in the summer, which gave him no time to recruit.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:24:15 PM by Goose »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #345 on: March 12, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »
Here's an enlightening article for all of you impatient Scoopers who are itching to dump Wojo

Reads like a strong case for why we shouldn’t have messed with Buzz’s happiness
No Finish Line

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #346 on: March 12, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »

Well said.  I agree completely.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #347 on: March 12, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
Reads like a strong case for why we shouldn’t have messed with Buzz’s happiness

Counterpoint: Buzz is Pitt and Marquette is Jamie Dixon.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #348 on: March 12, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »

My argument when both Crean and Buzz left was that the wrong hire turns Marquette I to Depaul.   Now, the wrong hire turns us into Pitt.  Many tired of Buzz.  Most now acknowledge he is a better coach than Wojo.  Maybe Wojo is fired and MU gets the next Stallings.   Or Howland.  Or Martin.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #349 on: March 12, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
Counterpoint: Buzz is Pitt and Marquette is Jamie Dixon.
I think Buzz is and will continue to do quite well for himself and won’t be surprised to see him land a better gig than Va Tech in the near future. Pitt otoh...
No Finish Line