'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Fire Wojo !  (Read 136027 times)

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
Fire Wojo !
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »
Start it now, why not ?  Poor discipline. Poor coaching. Jacking up 3 pointers. Poor defense. No accountability. Another year of disappointment. Another year of poor defense against 3, poor interior defense and poor shooting. That's it ! How many millions does MU spend on BBall ?

Da 'Lanche

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo !
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »
I guess I didn't realize 3 games make up a year....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »
Those 3s were the only thing often...They were triple teaming the post. Our players just didn't hit them so there were able to stack the post.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »
Poor fan. Poor alumni representation. Poor thread. Poor post.  Poor you(?).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »
Start it now, why not ?  Poor discipline. Poor coaching. Jacking up 3 pointers. Poor defense. No accountability. Another year of disappointment. Another year of poor defense against 3, poor interior defense and poor shooting. That's it ! How many millions does MU spend on BBall ?

I'll give you credit, at least you have been consistent for the last couple of years on Buzz and Wojo.  I don't agree with your thread title, but you have been consistent which I can respect.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »
Dumb. Give the team some time to gel. If we look exactly the same in March, you may have a case. Until then, keep the Fire Woho posts to yourself.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »
*Wojo

Damn touchscreen...

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »
Lol

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:25:34 PM »
I don't see the fire in Wojo that I remember when he was a tough, top notch Duke PG. Kevin O'Neill had fire from Day 1, when we were at our lowest after years of incompetence. Sure, I understand he was 'improper' at times. And I understand Wojo has the youngest team around (as O'Neill had against Duke). But damn, show some fire. (Afraid you may screw up your future dream job ?) Duane needs a kick up the butt. jJJ needs to go to Div 3. We lost by 30 which could have been 50 ..make a point! Mediocrity can only be accepted for so long.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 10:30:09 PM »
I don't see the fire in Wojo that I remember when he was a tough, top notch Duke PG. Kevin O'Neill had fire from Day 1, when we were at our lowest after years of incompetence. Sure, I understand he was 'improper' at times. And I understand Wojo has the youngest team around (as O'Neill had against Duke). But damn, show some fire. (Afraid you may screw up your future dream job ?) Duane needs a kick up the butt. jJJ needs to go to Div 3. We lost by 30 which could have been 50 ..make a point! Mediocrity can only be accepted for so long.

You're really gonna say that about JJJ after tonight? PS. McFlopper sucks.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 10:32:49 PM »
"see the fire"? Lol. Such a meathead fan comment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »
Just ignore this asswipe. Let this be the last response to it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
Just ignore this asswipe. Let this be the last response to it.

+1...oh crapty.

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 12:00:02 AM »
If a coach making a Top 10 salary from a Top 30 all time college BBall program can't recruit or motivate players to beat or at least compete in their first/second year against IUPUI, NJIT, Belmont, then I think it's fair to question his ability to do the job.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 12:13:01 AM »
Too really, but after tonight I wouldn't be shocked if Wojo was back on Duke's bench 24 months from now.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »
I think we need to give Wojo considerably more time than 3 games with this group before bringing out the dogs. There will be no miracles this year without a point guard, etc. etc.

Having said that MU  year in and year out pays big money to hire untested head coaches and then hopes for the best. Sometimes they are successful and sometimes they are not. I have never seen such an approach used in the private secttor. Why they follow this strategy  is far beyond my simple thought process.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 06:28:34 AM »
If a coach making a Top 10 salary from a Top 30 all time college BBall program can't recruit or motivate players to beat or at least compete in their first/second year against IUPUI, NJIT, Belmont, then I think it's fair to question his ability to do the job.

I do not believe he is top 10 in salary.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 06:43:31 AM »
I don't know if I'm on board the fire Wojo bandwagon yet, but one thing really bothered me last night was the amount of time he used in timeouts.  I counted 4 or 5 times, including the start of the second half, when our players were standing on the court waiting for 20-30 seconds or more while Fran continued to coach.  Did wojo give up on coaching early? Lose his voice?

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »
Stupid, stupid thread.  Delete it now.  We are so young and inexperienced. Patience, rookies. In a year or two, we'll be playing as well as Iowa did, only we have much superior talent.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »
Fire him?! No, let's burn him at the stake! Then he'll know how disapproving Marquette fan feels
No Finish Line

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 08:34:29 AM »
Stupid, stupid thread.  Delete it now.  We are so young and inexperienced. Patience, rookies. In a year or two, we'll be playing as well as Iowa did, only we have much superior talent.

Well then we will be doing so without our most talented player.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 10:35:12 AM »
I have not liked Wojo from the start and part of that was that I could not stand him when he was Duke's point guard. One of my most disliked players of all time and it was like "you got to be kidding me" when MU hired him. The team is young and last night's game reminded me of the game when Harris, Cordell and company were freshmen and UW came in and destroyed the team in the first half. I actually left that game at halftime and then vowed I would not leave a game early again. I was there at the final buzzer last night. One of the things that really disturbs me, which I think will be the real downfall of MU basketball, is the number of fans attending a game. It really hurts me to look up and see all of those empty seats. I am not sure who we should blame the empty seats on. However, with the home games being on TV a lot of people are not going to spend money to come to the games. I want to be optimistic and realistic (the team is very young), but I do not believe Wojo is going to succeed. However, I think he should be given at least four years. This is his first head coaching job and when you hire a first time coach you owe him enough time to learn on the job.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 10:39:47 AM »
I have not liked Wojo from the start and part of that was that I could not stand him when he was Duke's point guard. One of my most disliked players of all time and it was like "you got to be kidding me" when MU hired him. The team is young and last night's game reminded me of the game when Harris, Cordell and company were freshmen and UW came in and destroyed the team in the first half. I actually left that game at halftime and then vowed I would not leave a game early again. I was there at the final buzzer last night. One of the things that really disturbs me, which I think will be the real downfall of MU basketball, is the number of fans attending a game. It really hurts me to look up and see all of those empty seats. I am not sure who we should blame the empty seats on. However, with the home games being on TV a lot of people are not going to spend money to come to the games. I want to be optimistic and realistic (the team is very young), but I do not believe Wojo is going to succeed. However, I think he should be given at least four years. This is his first head coaching job and when you hire a first time coach you owe him enough time to learn on the job.

Agree with most of this.

My only objection would be that in any successful organization, when they figure out that the person they hired isn't the right fit for the job they have no problem cutting ties as soon as they come to that conclusion.  To do otherwise reduces productivity and prolongs the problem.  I'm not saying Wojo has reached that point yet, but I do not subscribe to the notion that someone is owed a guaranteed length of time on the job if the results are sub par.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 10:59:49 AM »

I left early last night because I was sick of watching this team turn the ball over and miss 3s.  I paid my money and when I stopped being entertained (actually I should have left at the first TV timeout) I departed.

This season as well as the last two have me questioning whether to renew.  I've been a ticket holder since I graduated in 2000 and this coming off-season will be the first where I seriously contemplate letting them go.  Watching three straight seasons of ugly, boring basketball is not that much fun for me.  Add in a conference void of true rivals and the equation gets even less favorable.  I don't owe MU anything, nor do they owe me. 

I have some questions about Wojo as a coach, his attitude as a player is irrelevant to me.  In one seasons + 3 games, his teams tend not to play all that hard, can't defend and suck at shooting.  It isn't all on him, he was left nothing and now has young players, but to-date he hasn't really coached them up either.  If the end of this season resembles the beginning in any way, please feel free to show him the door, he shouldn't be guaranteed 4 years.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:24:42 AM by Marquette_g »

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »
Mediocrity can only be accepted for so long.
And that time frame is 3 games!
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

feedback