[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Leash  (Read 56980 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Wojo's Leash
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
I predicted 17-15 this year.   And that was without any injuries (inevitable).   IMO, this team is building for next season.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2015, 07:59:08 AM »
I wanted Miller. Wojo is also a very good pick.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2015, 08:03:03 AM »
I don't think Miller would have come here.

The only other viable choices that Marquette showed interest in was Cuonzo.  And time will tell how good a decision that was.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2015, 08:09:25 AM »
I vote we get ners on here for his opinion
Ners opinion?    MU would be undefeated if Wojo and Buzz and hadn't buried Dawson and run him off, let him run the point and let JD be JD.  The weak PG play this year is Derrick's fault for pulling the wool over the eyes of two different coaching staffs with all of his characteriness and knowledge of his offensive and defensive responsibilities.  Wojo not using Duane at the point exclusively last year is a sign of his weakness.    If Buzz had just played JJJ as a freshman, he would be an all-American this year.   This team clearly needs the dynamic scoring option of Deonte Burton.   It isn't like the rest of the team is playing good man-defense, anyway.   He would be fine in a zone.   
3,000 times.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »
Ners opinion?    MU would be undefeated if Wojo and Buzz and hadn't buried Dawson and run him off, let him run the point and let JD be JD.  The weak PG play this year is Derrick's fault for pulling the wool over the eyes of two different coaching staffs with all of his characteriness and knowledge of his offensive and defensive responsibilities.  Wojo not using Duane at the point exclusively last year is a sign of his weakness.    If Buzz had just played JJJ as a freshman, he would be an all-American this year.   This team clearly needs the dynamic scoring option of Deonte Burton.   It isn't like the rest of the team is playing good man-defense, anyway.   He would be fine in a zone.   
3,000 times.

I'm kind of surprised he hasn't resurfaced here under an assumed name.  That shows more self-restraint than I thought possible.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2015, 08:17:21 AM »
I'm kind of surprised he hasn't resurfaced here under an assumed name.  That shows more self-restraint than I thought possible.

I forget.  Did he self ban after the stupid survey or did he finally get banned?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2015, 08:19:45 AM »
I forget.  Did he self ban after the stupid survey or did he finally get banned?

He was going to self-ban.  And then claimed that Scoop needed him too much.  ("You need me on that wall!!!") And finally him and Texas Western were booted permanently.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2015, 08:30:42 AM »

He was going to self-ban.  And then claimed that Scoop needed him too much.  ("You need me on that wall!!!") And finally him and Texas Western were booted permanently.

Ah yes.  So why this silly thread is going on perhaps you, me, chick, brandx, mu82, rocket and willie should go argue poiltics for awhile.  We'll accomplish more.   ;D

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2015, 08:31:13 AM »

Texas Western showed up on the game chat the other night. Did ners actually say that about needing him on that wall? Jesus, what a waste of basketball talent
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2015, 08:41:09 AM »
If Marquette finishes below .500 this year, would you put Wojo on the hot seat? How about if we are .500 or below after Year 3?

Holy sweet baby Jesus

It's game three guys.   IF we go 5-25, sure.  If he goes .500 or around that, this is a non-discussion.  Young coach, young team.  Last year he was left with a pile of burt's mismatched toys.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2015, 08:42:13 AM »
I think he has resurfaced on the scout board.   There is a new guy over there who has remarkably similar opinions, though he hasn't really gone over the top yet.   (deeznuts)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:47 AM »
Al year 1: 8-18

Al year 2: 14-12

Al year 3: NIT

Al Year 4: NCAAs.

Some Scoopers would have never let Al see year 3. Two games into year 2, it would have been: "I guarantee John Wooden and Adolph Rupp would win with Al's talent."

Stop, just stop.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2015, 09:04:37 AM »

Holy sweet baby Jesus

It's game three guys.   IF we go 5-25, sure.  If he goes .500 or around that, this is a non-discussion.  Young coach, young team.  Last year he was left with a pile of burt's mismatched toys.

How dare you have a rational thought among all these HOT TAEKS!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2015, 09:31:43 AM »
And finally him and Texas Western were booted permanently.

But this might be a reincarnation of one of those two...

Texas Western showed up on the game chat the other night. Did ners actually say that about needing him on that wall? Jesus, what a waste of basketball talent

Ah...and another clue :)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
Marquette bought Wojo's stock at $10 a share and it's stayed pretty much the same with a few small ups and downs along the way. Marquette stockholders are fine with it for now because the stock still has a 5-star rating and everyone expects it to reach $100 in the next eight years before the stock splits for Duke.

If Wojo is still at $10 by the end of this season, there's going to be some major grumblings.

WOJO came public at 10 and was trading at 30 before he had coached a game (hit its high the day HE committed). Closed last year at 15, now trading at its ipo of 10. Currently operating at a loss but rated a buy by most analysts due to projected future earnings.

BUZZ came public at 5 and almost immediately traded down to 2 as Chico led a group of extremely dedicated short sellers. They all were bankrupt when Buzz hit its high (50) after the Big East Championship/Elite 8 season in 2014. Stock collapsed in 2015 when founder and CEO clashed with his board over the future direction of the company.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2015, 09:56:54 AM »
But this might be a reincarnation of one of those two...

Ah...and another clue :)

Warrior fish and Marquette fan in NY are my early candidates

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »
Marquette bought Wojo's stock at $10 a share and it's stayed pretty much the same with a few small ups and downs along the way. Marquette stockholders are fine with it for now because the stock still has a 5-star rating and everyone expects it to reach $100 in the next eight years before the stock splits for Duke.

If Wojo is still at $10 by the end of this season, there's going to be some major grumblings.

Keep in mind he followed a guy who's stock was artificially inflated, the board of directors got involved, there were firings for improprieties and lying by one of his top lieutentents, driving the stock down....further dropped when the former CEO's performance in his final year after analysts predicted stellar results ended up being horrific....well below expectations across the board.....then when the CEO skipped town for less money and trading in a Fortune 100 job for a fortune 1000 job to stay ahead of the SEC.

Thus, it will take a few years for the current CEO to make his mark.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:05:52 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2015, 10:03:14 AM »
Keep in mind he followed a guy who's stock was artificially inflated, the SEC got involved, there were firings for improprieties and lying, driving the stock down....further dropped when the former CEO skipped town for less money and trading in a Fortune 100 job for a fortune 1000 job to stay ahead of the SEC.

Thus, it will take a few years for the current CEO to make his mark.

Are we talking the south eastern conference or the securities and exchanges commission?
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »

Some Scoopers would have never let Al see year 3. Two games into year 2, it would have been: "I guarantee John Wooden and Adolph Rupp would win with Al's talent."

Stop, just stop.
I love you, man. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »
Are we talking the south eastern conference or the securities and exchanges commission?

Edited for clarity

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2015, 10:12:34 AM »
Caveats:

1) I haven't been able to watch either game (living in Europe 2am tips are a tough sell)

2) I only seemed to be inclined to post when the team is down (so I guess I'm trolling?)

3) I actually really really do want Wojo to work out.  He's the "type" of coach we want.

But seriously. This is a top ten recruiting class.  The team had a chance to get some real game (euro as it is) experience in Italy.  Belmont is a quality squad but they were still a mid-major at home that we had forever to prepare for (and their team was a known quantity while we were not - should have been easier for us to scout them than vice-versa).  IUPUI is a 250 cupcake that is the 4th best school in their state that was a missed free-throw away from beating us at home.  Why is it that Calipari can take a team of freshmen to the brink of 40-0 and Wojo can't take care of business in his backyard against, at best, schools whose mascots even a savvy fan has to google.

With the amount of $$ MU spends on ball, we need to be in the NCAA every year.  Or at the very worst with an off-year here and there.  We can't justify that kind of outlay to not being playing meaningful March ball in consecutive years.

Most of the excuses on here for the team's performance to date can be fixed with coaching.  The team lacks discipline: COACHING.  The team lack cohesiveness: COACHING.  Players on the team make poor decisions: COACHING.  Lack of progression (or regression) with returning players: COACHING.  We are paying this guy the equivalent of a dozen full professors.  That's like having an entire new faculty department.  Is he worth it?  He's a nice guy and is building a great program, etc - but if we lose to any of these 300+ cupcakes, or we aren't at least coming within a good sniff of the dance - he's got to be on the hot seat?  Right?

AMEN. I would like Wojo to work out as well, but quite frankly, I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »

Stop, just stop.

Stop, just stop.

The: year before Al arrived MU was 5-21. His trajectory from season #1 was straight up:

Year 1 : 8 wins (+60%)

Year 2 : 14 wins (+75%)

Year 3 : 21 wins (+50%)

Year 4 -13 : Seashells and Balloons

Wojo so far:

Year 1 : 13 wins (-23.5%)

Way too early to judge Wojo, but any suggestion a) that Scoopers would have been disappointed with Al's immediate turning around of the program or b) Wojo's start looks anything like Al's are fiction.

Numbers (technical truth) without context creating false impressions. Around here that's called a "Chicos" - you're way better than that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:00:14 AM by Lennys Tap »

1SE

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
I predicted 17-15 this year.   And that was without any injuries (inevitable).   IMO, this team is building for next season.   

Like someone posted way back, I don't want to end up a MN Vikings fan - "always building for next year".  If HE goes 1-n'-done and Swaggy and JJJ don't progress (not real encouraging so far) I don't see how next year's time is better than this year's.  My original post here was NOT that WE NEED WOJO GONE NOW - just wondering at what point his underperformance will start to raise questions.

Does anyone here actually think that through 1 season and 2 games he has not underperformed?  Yes he has won some major recruiting battles but again, MU plays the game with a $10 million war chest.  And that is my real beef here - if we were running a $4 million, 400k coach operation than yes, absolutely, Wojo has been fine and let's give him the time he needs.  But for the money we're paying him (and the resources invested into the program) I am not happy with the results.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »
Stop, just stop.

The: year before Al arrived MU was 5-21. His trajectory from season #1 was straight up:

Year 1 : 8 wins (+60%
Year 2 : 14 wins (+75%)

Year 3 : 21 wins (+50%)

Year 4 -13 : Seashells and Balloons

Wojo so far:

Year 1 : 13 wins (-23.5%)

Way too early to judge Wojo, but any suggestion a) that Scoopers would have been disappointed with Al's immediate turning around of the program or b) Wojo's start looks anything like Al's are fiction.

Numbers (technical truth) without context creating false impressions. Around here that's called a "Chicos" - you're way better than that.

Exactly.  Despite the immediate dumpster fire created by Buzz, Wojo inherited an incredibly well-respected, well-finances program sitting on over a decade of recent success.  He did not come to DePaul.  He did not come to MU circa 1964 with a team that had only been to 5 post-seasons in the previous 15 years. There is no reason why Marquette should be a 4-year rebuilding project which is what the ole' sages here seem to want to grant.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »
I do not believe he has underperformed.   I looked at last year's talent and predicted 10-14 wins.   I thought he squeezed ever bit he could have out of that team.  I looked at this year's team and saw 17 wins, with progress, as to accept as a given the notion that freshmen and a few guys left from a bad team is going to magically morph into world beaters is simply unreasonable.   

feedback