[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Leash  (Read 56998 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Wojo's Leash
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »
She is ugly. Not sure what it is.. well, her mouth, but not sure how to describe it. But she looks like a goat turd.

Maybe it's that your eyes aren't working properly.  She's not drop-dead beautiful but come on.....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2015, 08:04:14 PM »
She is ugly. Not sure what it is.. well, her mouth, but not sure how to describe it. But she looks like a goat turd.

brandx

« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2015, 08:09:32 PM »

Maybe it's that your eyes aren't working properly.  She's not drop-dead beautiful but come on.....

Maybe Jay Bee has a stable of hot, young models that clouds his vision.

(That was a joke.)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
Maybe Jay Bee has a stable of hot, young models that clouds his vision.

(That was a joke.)

Qualify "models", non è?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2015, 08:41:45 PM »

Just to comment on this pic - it's the best I could find (since we hadn't had a Cohen pic up before), and the eye-roll is awesome!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2015, 09:31:05 PM »
dg-

You're wrong. I was there (I think you were too) and I was a fanatical supporter who never missed a game. Criticism of Al didn't come early when he was rescusitating a program that was on life support when he arrived. It was AFTER Al had established himself and MU was a powerhouse that the critics arrived.

Some were the entitled folks who weren't around for or chose not to remember the horrid condition of MU basketball when Al took over. Others were the "Chico faction" who didn't like Al's recruiting (too poor, too black, too low SATs), his "Just win, baby" philosophy and his battles with the powerful folks in charge at the NCAA.

But again, my recollection is the critics didn't emerge until excellence on the court started to be taken for granted.

Wojo arrived in the midst of what we hope will continue to be our second best era in MU history. Like the last 8 or 9 years in the McGuire era the fan base is a bit entitled. Right or wrong, the entitled will always be quicker to criticize.

The point wasn't how Al was treated then. The point is that, in this day and age, posts like "Al's Leash" would have surfaced two games into his second season and the hot seat would have gotten warm by the end of his second season.

Same would have happened to K at Duke and many others. They were fortunate to have been in charge of struggling programs before this era of instant gratification and abject silliness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »
Emma Stone looks like sh1t. Puke.

Dale Jones - watch out for him on the boards tomorrow night.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2015, 09:42:19 PM »
This thread is embarrassing.

You don't hire a coach who has no head coaching experience and expect him to rebuild your program in 1 year.

We have 1 of the youngest teams in d1..... Take a breath and let the players and the coach learn and grow.

He didn't inherit the amigos and we aren't rebuilding with JC players. It's going to take some time.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
Just to comment on this pic - it's the best I could find (since we hadn't had a Cohen pic up before), and the eye-roll is awesome!
This pic has cracked me up every time I open Scoop.  The thought bubble clearly reads "Imma let you finish your silly thread but.....seriously?  I'll be doing this all season"

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2015, 01:02:17 AM »
To be fair, the guy at Iowa State said that every time he touched the ball.

That is fair.  And I'll take it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »
This pic has cracked me up every time I open Scoop.  The thought bubble clearly reads "Imma let you finish your silly thread but.....seriously?  I'll be doing this all season"

I vote that you choose candid shots all year long for STOG.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2015, 08:22:58 AM »
Year of eligibility, so generally yes--redshirts and transfers are exceptions. I think this poses more of a problem for juco players who are listed as juniors but have no D1 experience. With 351 teams, it's probably a hassle to dig into everyone's minutes and games ever played, so this is a reasonable enough shortcut.

ADDITIONALLY... looking at Pomeroy's experience rankings today, there are almost 80 teams that don't have heights or eligibility years listed at this point in the season. So at this stage MU is #273 out of 282 in the experience category. Again, we have a really young group.

So is it fair to say that this stat would skew us upward? Luke and Duane are both third year players but have played less games than some players get in a single season? And to a lesser degree, Mache and Wally would also skew upward?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
So is it fair to say that this stat would skew us upward? Luke and Duane are both third year players but have played less games than some players get in a single season? And to a lesser degree, Mache and Wally would also skew upward?

Luke definitely, since he's a junior with about one season's equivalent of games, and he plays a lot of minutes for us. Less so for Wally...doesn't play a ton. Duane is listed as a sophomore, his year of eligibility. Mache doesn't play enough to register at all.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:40 PM »
Tonight's game is a meaningful data point in Wojo's evaluation.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2015, 10:31:45 PM »

Whatever you do...do not think about next year possibly without Henry & adding only S.Hauser  :-\

1SE

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »
Well, you can say one thing for Wojo, at least he knew what he was doing when he scheduled the creamiest of cupcakes.  Of course, that could backfire too.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2015, 11:22:38 PM »

Whatever you do...do not think about next year possibly without Henry & adding only S.Hauser  :-\

And Rousey who can actually hit a 3 pointer
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2015, 11:29:09 PM »

ouch

1SE

• All American
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2015, 11:33:39 PM »
ouch

How much more of this do we have to take before the "old guard" on here can at least admit Wojo is under performing?  Yes, give him the rest of the season before the seat really gets warm, but he's fighting an uphill battle. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »
WoJo is one season plus three games into his head coaching career.  Do you think coaches grow and learn from experience?  As frustrating as this is so far this year, he and the team need time.  No miracles happening here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2015, 10:03:23 AM »
How much more of this do we have to take before the "old guard" on here can at least admit Wojo is under performing?  Yes, give him the rest of the season before the seat really gets warm, but he's fighting an uphill battle.

The old guard saw Crean's first two years, and then two years later we were in the Final Four.  The old guard saw KO's first three years, and two years later we were in the Sweet 16.   It can work the other way, too.

This is why a good Athletic Director looks at the big picture, what the coach inherited, who left, what the schedule is, the circumstances, etc,etc.  Wojo might not work out, that's fine.  Hell, I've bitched here for years that we keep doing the same thing over and over and over and over again by hiring top assistants.  Sometimes it works out, but rest assured it always takes more seasoning than hiring an established coach. That's just the deal.

So  the old guard likely has a bit of experience with this and we'll see how it goes.  It doesn't mean those calling for his head are wrong, but we're going to exercise some wisdom, patience, etc....collect a lot more data as it were.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2015, 06:01:53 AM »
The old guard saw Crean's first two years, and then two years later we were in the Final Four.  The old guard saw KO's first three years, and two years later we were in the Sweet 16.   It can work the other way, too.

This is why a good Athletic Director looks at the big picture, what the coach inherited, who left, what the schedule is, the circumstances, etc,etc.  Wojo might not work out, that's fine.  Hell, I've bitched here for years that we keep doing the same thing over and over and over and over again by hiring top assistants.  Sometimes it works out, but rest assured it always takes more seasoning than hiring an established coach. That's just the deal.

So  the old guard likely has a bit of experience with this and we'll see how it goes.  It doesn't mean those calling for his head are wrong, but we're going to exercise some wisdom, patience, etc....collect a lot more data as it were.

Sure - but the point that none of the "old guard" seem to want to engage with is that Wojo walked into a situation with vastly different resources than KO (or even Crean).  I have no problem with someone taking 4 years to "rebuild"? (is it really a rebuild job after only one off year?) if they have median-level resources.  But Wojo arrived to a school resourced in the top 5 (3?) percentage of all college programs.  You don't get 4 years in that kind of situation - that's a bad return on your investment.  I'll give patience to a guy we're paying 400k to who has a 3 million budget.  For 1.5 million with a 10 million war chest back-to-back meaningless March is unacceptable.  As other have mentioned - where was the JUCO or grad-transfer that fills the missing piece to win this year?  Wojo didn't get that.  Add that on to his very questionable preparation and game coaching and what are we paying him for.  Potential?  Hell - half the commentators on this board have potential - and can put together a Prezi presentation too.

If we are paying top dollar we need to see top (or at least consistent, or at least competitive) results.  I mean being in the top 70 teams year on year (i.e. making at least the NIT) shouldn't be that much of a stretch if we're in the top 10 in spending.  If our spend isn't getting us there than let's dial back the funding and hire Rob Jeter.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #198 on: November 21, 2015, 06:07:29 AM »
"not" want to engage with.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »
Sure - but the point that none of the "old guard" seem to want to engage with is that Wojo walked into a situation with vastly different resources than KO (or even Crean).  I have no problem with someone taking 4 years to "rebuild"? (is it really a rebuild job after only one off year?) if they have median-level resources.  But Wojo arrived to a school resourced in the top 5 (3?) percentage of all college programs.  You don't get 4 years in that kind of situation - that's a bad return on your investment.  I'll give patience to a guy we're paying 400k to who has a 3 million budget.

All the resources in the world weren't going to make up for the incomplete roster he inherited.

feedback