[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many years do you think Henry Ellenson will play at Marquette?

One and done
63 (27.5%)
Two and through
142 (62%)
Three or more
24 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 226

Voting closed: November 10, 2015, 01:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Ellenson: One and Done or not?  (Read 114310 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Ellenson: One and Done or not?
« Reply #450 on: February 23, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
One intangible not mentioned is that HE has basketball moxie. He gets 11 boards a game and makes it look easy. He gets where the rebound is going.

On scoring side, he gets 16-20 points a game and they run no plays for him. If I were coach I would run all plays thru him and they run few, if any.
He only gets the easy rebounds. He loses almost every contested rebound.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #451 on: February 23, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »
Spencer Hawes is 7'1", 250. Henry is 6'10, 228. Spencer also had a 29" standing vertical, which I'd be shocked if Henry can beat. 

Hawes was actually more NBA ready than Henry.

Also, I want to be clear; Henry is definitely a lottery pick, and in my opinion is gone after this year.  I just also think he has a long way to go before being actually ready for the NBA.  I figure he will spend at least 1 year in the D-league and likely 2 more riding the pine, before seeing meaningful action.

If a team is willing to spend a lottery pick on Henry, I doubt that they toss him in the D-League for his first year.  If that is the plan he might as well come back for another year in college, much better exposure and a chance to make a run in the tourney which could really boost his stock. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #452 on: February 23, 2016, 09:30:05 PM »

God I love that you are sticking with the "his rebounds aren't hard enough" ridiculousness.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #453 on: February 23, 2016, 09:40:07 PM »
If a team is willing to spend a lottery pick on Henry, I doubt that they toss him in the D-League for his first year.  If that is the plan he might as well come back for another year in college, much better exposure and a chance to make a run in the tourney which could really boost his stock.

1) He won't be in the D League (so you have it right).

2) When you're a top 6 pick and the next year's draft is much stronger there's really only 1 way to go in the draft, and it isn't up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #454 on: February 23, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »

What's funny is I find it incredible how often Hank ends up with the ball when there's a big scrum of players going after it. He almost always comes out with it. I'm starting to wonder if you even watch MU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #455 on: February 23, 2016, 09:51:45 PM »
Henry's rebounds aren't hard enough is even better than the "derrick only gets basic assists" argument
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #456 on: February 23, 2016, 09:53:26 PM »
The hope is Henry wants to have another fun year of college. An insurance policy can make him rich if injured. I like it.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #457 on: February 23, 2016, 10:06:54 PM »
4th as of now...  Simmons, Ingram, and Dragan Bender (Croatia)

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft
The Croat has a great name, considering his homeland created Slivovits brandy!
Should his nickname be "3-day"?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #458 on: February 23, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
The hope is Henry wants to have another fun year of college. An insurance policy can make him rich if injured. I like it.

Fun?  Marquette Basketball just tweeted a pic of study hall on the road in Omaha.  What is fun about that?

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #459 on: February 23, 2016, 10:25:44 PM »
This is worth reading. Gives the plusses and minuses.

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/01/14/henry-ellenson-2016-nba-draft-scouting-report-marquette/

I thought the summary was written by me....it was most excellent.   8-)

CubillanSandwich

• Walk-On
« Reply #460 on: February 23, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »
God I love that you are sticking with the "his rebounds aren't hard enough" ridiculousness.

It's the he's tall logic.  Mike Kinsella should have averaged 19 rebounds then.  He didn't. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #461 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »
I have read that rebounding, more so that scoring, is an accurate predictor of success at the next level.

See: Davis, Anthony.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #462 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:27 AM »
Forgetful

The fact that Henry touches the ball in half court offense does constitute a play being run. The half court offense is a joke IMO.

As for the rebounds, talk to people that have played the game at high level, get their take and get back to me.

I try not to take the bait on this topic and just cannot control myself. For a guy that was HS AA, been projected as lottery pick(still does), average a double double, six time BE rookie of the week and 7 STOG(picked by u guys), it seems like 50% of the posts on him are negative. Folks, bashing him is not going to motivate him to come back another year. Truthfully, out of all the stupid debates I have been part of on scoop this one has me scratching my head.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #463 on: February 24, 2016, 06:03:57 AM »
Truthfully, out of all the stupid debates I have been part of on scoop this one has me scratching my head.

All the negativity I have read can be summed up by this statement "it's really hard to be good in the NBA and very few people do it".  No joke - great analysis.

HE going one and done is good for HE, Wojo and MU.  Now it looks like he put himself in a position to choose his destiny and that is fantastic. Go HE. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #464 on: February 24, 2016, 08:08:33 AM »
Fun?  Marquette Basketball just tweeted a pic of study hall on the road in Omaha.  What is fun about that?

And I guess you are assuming that Henry dislikes the academic side of school.  I certainly haven't heard that.  He is certainly no Vander in that regard.

So you are saying being an NBA player is nothing but fun 24/7?
Have some patience, FFS.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
Forgetful

The fact that Henry touches the ball in half court offense does constitute a play being run. The half court offense is a joke IMO.

As for the rebounds, talk to people that have played the game at high level, get their take and get back to me.

I try not to take the bait on this topic and just cannot control myself. For a guy that was HS AA, been projected as lottery pick(still does), average a double double, six time BE rookie of the week and 7 STOG(picked by u guys), it seems like 50% of the posts on him are negative. Folks, bashing him is not going to motivate him to come back another year. Truthfully, out of all the stupid debates I have been part of on scoop this one has me scratching my head.

Done.  They agree with me about his rebounding.  Only one was a player at a high level though, the other was a hall of fame college coach.

As for the negativity.  It is called constructive criticism.  Nobody is saying he isn't an NBA player.  They are pointing out areas he needs to improve on to be more than a bit player in the NBA.  Frankly, if HE can't handle that, he'll never improve. 

And in reference to him being bothered by constant constructive criticism and then not coming back.  He isn't coming back no matter if we shower him with praise or tear him to shreds.  He is going to the NBA next year.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #466 on: February 24, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »
The one thing that Henry has at MU right now is the open to shot whenever he wants, great deal for him.  In the pros, if he shots from 3 and is 1 for 4 all time he
will be sitting on the bench more often then not.  PLus against people his own size like tonight he is not nearly effective as he really can not jump.  If he played against
Giannis or Jabari, they would go around him like nothing.  Even in the minute or so action for Novak, he can not guard anyone, that is why he has been on 9 different
teams can not defend, then again he has probably made $25M in those 9 years so that is not to bad.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #467 on: February 24, 2016, 08:30:56 AM »
I think Henry cares more about playing in the NBA than he does about being able to miss shots without getting benched.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #468 on: February 24, 2016, 08:49:40 AM »
And I guess you are assuming that Henry dislikes the academic side of school.  I certainly haven't heard that.  He is certainly no Vander in that regard.

So you are saying being an NBA player is nothing but fun 24/7?

No, being a NBA player is work, hard work.  But that work is centered around getting better on the court.  As a college student he will spend 2 hours a day working on something that has no short or medium term upside for him.  It would be like having a part time job.  Even if one likes academics, it is not an easy process and it is a time consuming one.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #469 on: February 24, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »

Only a very small % of rebounds are made above the rim and /or what you would consider "contested". Most are made by recognizing where the ball will go and beating people to that spot. HE is very good at that. Luke's as big as Henry but doesn't get nearly as many boards. That's not because Henry's lucky and the ball just bounces his way.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #470 on: February 24, 2016, 09:23:11 AM »
No, being a NBA player is work, hard work.  But that work is centered around getting better on the court.  As a college student he will spend 2 hours a day working on something that has no short or medium term upside for him.  It would be like having a part time job.  Even if one likes academics, it is not an easy process and it is a time consuming one.

2 hours a day? It's more than that.

Probably has 3-4 hours of class on average, plus team study hall and tutoring. Then any additional homework.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #471 on: February 24, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »

This does not make sense to me.  If you box out properly or get superior position in relation to where the ball is headed the rebound will not look contested.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #472 on: February 24, 2016, 09:32:41 AM »

Probably has 3-4 hours of class on average, plus team study hall and tutoring. Then any additional homework.

This.

Hell, even I spent 2 hours a day as a student at MU, and I was a notorious F-up!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #473 on: February 24, 2016, 09:35:19 AM »

Whoops, I forgot about actually going to class.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #474 on: February 24, 2016, 09:44:26 AM »
Luke's as big as Henry but doesn't get nearly as many boards. That's not because Henry's lucky and the ball just bounces his way.

Oh yeah? Not many people know that Henry wears lucky Mighty Mouse Underoos and that he puts the Buffalo nickel his great uncle gave him under the tongue of his right sneaker for additional luck!

But seriously, folks ... this is an excellent point, Lenny.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson