'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Improvement  (Read 3812 times)

tower912

• All American
Improvement
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:28:18 AM »
Is there anyone out there who still thinks these players and this team have not improved over the course of the season?     It has not always been a smooth linear progression.   But come on. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Improvement
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:44:06 AM »
Is there anyone out there who still thinks these players and this team have not improved over the course of the season?     It has not always been a smooth linear progression.   But come on.

We looked fantastic in the first half.  Seemed like they were looking for one more pass to find the man who was more open for the higher percentage shot.  Showed toughness at the end minus Henry.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:04:05 AM »
If I have hope for this coaching staff, it's been the transformation of JjJ.  Last year he was atrocious at times, which led to limited minutes (along with talk of leashes, mind games, and his inevitable transfer.)  In his last four outings?  33 mpg, 24-39 from the field (21-30 in the last 3), 4-12 from deep, 7-8 from the line, 18 reb, 14 assists, and 12 steals.  Most of the credit goes to the individual, but a lot of praise has to be given to the coaches for getting him to buy in and helping him develop.

I'm still amazed that there was a point this year where people questioned whether this team was better than last year's team.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:18:27 AM »
Traci has also improved greatly. He has made Wojo have him on the floor in crunch time. He steadies the team.

Last night - 1st possession inside 2 minutes, Duane turns it over; next possession, Haney turns it over. The rest of the way the ball was in Traci's hands and he made the winning play on the pass to Fischer.

Next year, I look for his shot to be better and for him to play with more consistency. I think too many here think he will be on the bench a lot if Howard is at MU and with Rowsey available. I think Traci will be one of the core guys.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:42:06 AM »
Improved:
JJJ, Traci, HE, Luke, Duane, Heldt
Regressed:
Sandi
Insufficient evidence:
Wally, Anim

Overall not bad!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »
I think its very encouraging where the team has advanced to over the past two weeks.  You can see it game by game -- even intra-game where Traci was much better against Nova's press in the 2H versus the 1H.  You have to think our army of point guards had something to do with that.  Also, Luke's hook has gotten better through the year as well.  Finally, JJJ rebuilding his shot completely is nothing short of amazing.  That is incredibly hard to do and has been the downfall of many players.  Clearly these coaches focus on skill development.

I wish it clicked 1.5 weeks earlier as we would have been talking about a real over-achievement - but the fact it is happening leaves me optimistic.  Hey we are still mentioned as a potential bubble team and hopefully are becoming a lock for the NIT.  That was my expectation for the season and the coaches have the team right there.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »
Hey we are still mentioned as a potential bubble team and hopefully are becoming a lock for the NIT.  That was my expectation for the season and the coaches have the team right there.

Someone made a comment elsewhere about hoping Henry returns next year so he can leave the BC "on his own terms" rather than on a bad ankle.  Seeing as that's unlikely, I'm pulling hard for an NIT home game -- Henry gets the send off he deserves and Mache hopefully gets the minutes Wojo was unable to give him last night.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »
If I have hope for this coaching staff, it's been the transformation of JjJ.  Last year he was atrocious at times, which led to limited minutes (along with talk of leashes, mind games, and his inevitable transfer.)  In his last four outings?  33 mpg, 24-39 from the field (21-30 in the last 3), 4-12 from deep, 7-8 from the line, 18 reb, 14 assists, and 12 steals.  Most of the credit goes to the individual, but a lot of praise has to be given to the coaches for getting him to buy in and helping him develop.

I'm still amazed that there was a point this year where people questioned whether this team was better than last year's team.

Agreed, JJJ has made enormous strides.  As an aside, though, I wonder when teams are going to take away his drive to the right of the lane.

The last two games Cheatham has also started to kick it out when he drives but can't get to the rim, something he virtually never did the first 28 games.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 08:07:28 AM »
Only a blind person or a nattering nabob of negativity would deny this team has improved, and by quite a bit.

Very encouraged by our future, with or without Hank.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 08:08:04 AM »
The last two games Cheatham has also started to kick it out when he drives but can't get to the rim, something he virtually never did the first 28 games.

And he can finish much better with his right now. Saw it a couple of times last night.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »
Agreed, JJJ has made enormous strides.  As an aside, though, I wonder when teams are going to take away his drive to the right of the lane.

100% spot on regarding both comments.  Against Nova, Hanie did that and I about fell out of my chair thinking that was the first time he's done that all year.  If he can do that more, he'll open up a lot of shots in the future for anyone on the perimeter.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 08:24:56 AM »
Someone made a comment elsewhere about hoping Henry returns next year so he can leave the BC "on his own terms" rather than on a bad ankle.  Seeing as that's unlikely, I'm pulling hard for an NIT home game -- Henry gets the send off he deserves and Mache hopefully gets the minutes Wojo was unable to give him last night.

I'm pulling hard for Henry to be healthy for the BET.  Then for us to make the NIT field.  Then to have a home game and a deep run back to New York.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »
Improved:
JJJ, Traci, HE, Luke, Duane, Heldt
Regressed:
Sandi
Insufficient evidence:
Wally, Anim

Overall not bad!

Although I agree the team has progressed over the course of the season (and is certainly better than last year), I would not say Duane has improved. The difference between this year and last year is an excellent freshmen class and JJJ's newfound consistency...and that lottery pick of ours has something to do with it.

As for Duane, I'd say he's slightly regressed. Last year signaled that he might have a monster 2015-16 season but I haven't seen any improvement between this year and last. And the numbers suggest the same: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66171/duane-wilson. He's got a bright future at MU but he needs to show a LOT more discipline than he's shown this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 08:36:08 AM »
The only thing I didn't like out of Duane was the first half "my turn" 3 point shot he took early in the clock.  He attacked the basket at the end.  It didn't work once (Wojo said he was fouled...he wasn't) but he got to the line and hit his FTs at the end.

I still think he is playing hurt or something.  He lacks the explosiveness he had last year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 08:39:21 AM »

I still think he is playing hurt or something.  He lacks the explosiveness he had last year.

There has been a fair amount of speculation about that on the Scout board.   No one has come forward with anything definitive.    He seems to lack lift, explosiveness, and be down a little bit on lateral quickness on defense.    Compared to last year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »
100% spot on regarding both comments.  Against Nova, Hanie did that and I about fell out of my chair thinking that was the first time he's done that all year.  If he can do that more, he'll open up a lot of shots in the future for anyone on the perimeter.

Overall, the ball movement last night was outstanding.  We got a lot of good looks and easy baskets because of that.  Unfortunately the second half was a layup line for the Hoyas.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »
You know what guys?  Assuming HE can get healthy, our Warriors are entirely capable of winning the NIT.  And I'd sure like to hang another banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
As long as those turnovers remain low, I agree.
15+ TO game in a tourney setting will bite you against the most average of teams.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »
Only a blind person or a nattering nabob of negativity would deny this team has improved, and by quite a bit.

Very encouraged by our future, with or without Hank.

Is Nate here?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
Doubling our conference win total from last year feels good.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence