[Today at 03:32:55 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many years do you think Henry Ellenson will play at Marquette?

One and done
63 (27.5%)
Two and through
142 (62%)
Three or more
24 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 226

Voting closed: November 10, 2015, 01:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Ellenson: One and Done or not?  (Read 114206 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: Ellenson: One and Done or not?
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
Henry has good stats for sure. I just see him as a Me First stat guy right now. That is going to be severely exploited when he plays against quality athletic competition.

Yes he may be drafted on potential. All I care about is the here and now and him contributing to MU winning.

What the hell did you expect him to do in high school? He had absolutely no other talent playing with him on his high school team. He was the guy and had to be a me first stat stuffer. The same could be said for almost every other high d 1 player. This Marquette team is young and has played two fricking games. The talent is obviously there let them develop and enjoy the ride.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »
What the hell did you expect him to do in high school? He had absolutely no other talent playing with him on his high school team. He was the guy and had to be a me first stat stuffer. The same could be said for almost every other high d 1 player. This Marquette team is young and has played two fricking games. The talent is obviously there let them develop and enjoy the ride.

Cmon...don't you know about the pipeline between Rice Lake and the NBA???

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2015, 09:08:04 AM »
This thread is simply putting the cart before the horse in a big way. Henry isn't anywhere near NBA ready today, let alone Iowa ready............. Lots of learning and improvement to go before ANY discussions of pro level. 

Another thread said something about Kaminsky being on the bench in the NBA right now and Henry's not anywhere near Kaminsky in level of play. Yes, he's 6'11" but a much unpolished act. Let's be honest. A lot of skills and mindset need to improve before he's considered for the next level. Let him learn to master this one, first, and that will take time.

Enjoy the ride and he ain't going' nowhere, except to class for a while............

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2015, 09:25:20 AM »
You fail to remember that the NBA draft purely on potential.  HE has shown to be fairly polished and with a very unique skill set for a big man. At 18 he's still got an incredibly high ceiling.  He'll be gone unless he desires to stick around and enjoy college or gets injured. 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
This thread is simply putting the cart before the horse in a big way. Henry isn't anywhere near NBA ready today, let alone Iowa ready............. Lots of learning and improvement to go before ANY discussions of pro level. 

Another thread said something about Kaminsky being on the bench in the NBA right now and Henry's not anywhere near Kaminsky in level of play. Yes, he's 6'11" but a much unpolished act. Let's be honest. A lot of skills and mindset need to improve before he's considered for the next level. Let him learn to master this one, first, and that will take time.

Enjoy the ride and he ain't going' nowhere, except to class for a while............
Are you saying he isn't a one and done? If the draft was held TODAY he would for sure be a top 15 pick. I really don't see the point of bringing up Kaminsky riding the bench cause 4 years from now Ellenson will be 3 years in the league at that point. Kaminsky didn't do anything his freshmen year. Not really comparable players when it comes to NBA potential.

Chad Ford just had HE as the 7th pick in his latest mock.
We are all enjoying the ride but to it is definitely a fair question on whether he is leaving after this year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
He is one and done unless for some reason he decides to return. I do not get were posters say he needs to work on his body. Just look at him standing next to Fischer. Like a lot of players he probably will need a year or two to get off the NBA bench, but so what. You get paid a lot of money while you are developing. What surprises me is that I find him to be a boring player so far. I thought it would be exciting to watch him, but so far he has not really gotten going. Has mostly missed his 10-15 ft jumpers. He may be as good as Wade (based on draft status), but Wade was a much more exciting player. Watching Wade absolutely faking out his defender is much more exciting than the way Ellenson plays. I also wonder how Ellenson would look playing in a Georgetown style offense where everything runs through a bigman. I think MU needs to utilize him more underneath.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »

Again, thanks for the laugh.  Scoop is on a roll today.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
Again, thanks for the laugh.  Scoop is on a roll today.

I also never understood the philosophy of going against inferior talent in college, coached by assistants more focused on recruiting, and having to pretend to go to class makes someone a better player than getting paid to be a full-time athlete, afford a personal nutritionist/cook, coached by the best in the world, and going against former college All-Americans every day in practice. So if he does need to get better, why not go to the NBA and get better there. Some team will draft him top 15 whether he is ready or not.

brandx

« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »

Henry will turn pro when he wants to. If it was today, he would be a lottery pick. If its at the end of the season, he will be a lottery pick. And if it's in 2, 3 or 4 years, he will be a lottery pick..

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2015, 05:20:44 PM »
Henry will turn pro when he wants to. If it was today, he would be a lottery pick. If its at the end of the season, he will be a lottery pick. And if it's in 2, 3 or 4 years, he will be a lottery pick..

This is the only thing that needs to be said. There will be the typical "he is not ready" posts after every single game regardless of what he does. We are 2/2 in that happening so far this year. Henry is a lottery pick when he decides to leave MU. Hopefully, for our sake, it will be at least one more year after this one.

Waryours

• Walk-On
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »

Skal Labissiere fouled out tonight with 7 and 4.  He's D league material. I'm glad Wojo wasn't on him.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2015, 04:17:45 PM »

Skal Labissiere fouled out tonight with 7 and 4.  He's D league material. I'm glad Wojo wasn't on him.

Can you imagine if Ellenson had those numbers in a game?  Some here would be saying to bench him already.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »
Can you imagine if Ellenson had those numbers in a game?  Some here would be saying to bench him already.

We have a poster here who already thinks he should be.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »
Henry has a way to go to be an NBA Player.In our 2 games, I expected more domination from
him. But then,  Diamond Stone didn't light up the college scene last night against Georgetown.
Also Henry didn't play against top HS competition. This is D-! major college BB.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »
Henry has a way to go to be an NBA Player.In our 2 games, I expected more domination from
him. But then,  Diamond Stone didn't light up the college scene last night against Georgetown.
Also Henry didn't play against top HS competition. This is D-! major college BB.

yeah totally 19.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg, and 3 apg is nowhere near dominant.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
I EXPECTED MORE FROM HENRY. TAKEOVER GAME

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »
He played AAU ball at the highest level and was on team USA for some tournament. He has played plenty of good competition.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:06 PM »
Henry has played up to my expectations.  That said, my expectations are a lot lower than most. I think he will continue to rack up good stats against the weak teams, I expect him to have less impressive stats when he plays more qualified competition and continue to learn what it takes to be a college defensive player. The Big East is a place where every possession is a battle. 

Overall I expect him to be Big East Rookie of the Year ,stay with us four years and  be Big East Player of the Year as a  Senior.  He is an excellent recruit for us and I am delighted we have him . As time goes his chemistry with the other players will develop . The best thing I have seen so far from him is that pass to Luke to open the game the other night. That play was something very few big men could even conceptualize much less perfectly execute.

I would like to see the one and done chatter die down. Reality is if he truly is going to be a lottery pick he will go.  As was pointed out by several n this thread he can develop his game a lot more and position himself for a big payday sooner as a pro.  On the other hand he may very well enjoy the college environment and take it all in as much as he can.

My expectations above are baseline and assume he is enjoying the college experience . My upside projection is that he has a career approaching Tyler Hansbrough in college and some where along the line we get another final four.

In the meantime I hope we beat Iowa and Henry has another solid performance.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2015, 09:46:51 PM »
Good lord, this thread is embarrassing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »
I EXPECTED MORE FROM HENRY. TAKEOVER GAME

I expected him to defeat ISIS, cure cancer and get me a night with Scarlett Johansson, so Hankster is falling far short of my expectations, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »
Henry has played up to my expectations.  That said, my expectations are a lot lower than most. I think he will continue to rack up good stats against the weak teams, I expect him to have less impressive stats when he plays more qualified competition and continue to learn what it takes to be a college defensive player. The Big East is a place where every possession is a battle. 

Overall I expect him to be Big East Rookie of the Year ,stay with us four years and  be Big East Player of the Year as a  Senior.  He is an excellent recruit for us and I am delighted we have him . As time goes his chemistry with the other players will develop . The best thing I have seen so far from him is that pass to Luke to open the game the other night. That play was something very few big men could even conceptualize much less perfectly execute.

I would like to see the one and done chatter die down. Reality is if he truly is going to be a lottery pick he will go.  As was pointed out by several n this thread he can develop his game a lot more and position himself for a big payday sooner as a pro.  On the other hand he may very well enjoy the college environment and take it all in as much as he can.

My expectations above are baseline and assume he is enjoying the college experience . My upside projection is that he has a career approaching Tyler Hansbrough in college and some where along the line we get another final four.

In the meantime I hope we beat Iowa and Henry has another solid performance.

I will wager my life savings he doesn't stay 4 years.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2015, 10:03:48 PM »

My guess is that's not that large of a bet.   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »

True Dat

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »
I think the game against LSU will give a good indication of how good Ellenson is. I think the LSU freshmen is projected to be the top pick in the draft and they have another top 10 freshmen. Ellenson could be the third best player on the floor.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »

It all depends on your perspective. Do you consider June 23, 2016 to be a long way to go? Because if he wants to be a NBA player, he'll be one that day if he chooses.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback