Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8718216 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/17
« Reply #10025 on: October 14, 2017, 11:59:24 AM »
Grimes snap chatted once 2 weekends ago on his trip to Kentucky, himself looking bored as hell in either a dorm or hotel. Last week he was snapping a fair amount while in Colorado for USA basketball (including with Herro...package deal to MU?). Thursday he started snapping constantly. That night it looked like he was having dinner with maybe some extended family (looked like it was at a house but didn’t see any people I could identify as associated with Kansas)? I know his mom went to Kansas, is she from there? Could he have family living in Lawrence? Anyway, he was snapping constantly yesterday. The half court at the players dorms, their trophy case, in the Phog, videos of him, Self, and others on a patio in the players dorm, etc.

I don’t think the Dotson commit pisses him off one bit or is a message from Dotson, I don’t think Quickely’s decision does one thing to steer him away from Kentucky, and I don’t think he ends up at Texas. If I had to guess I’d say Kansas is head and shoulders in the lead, Kentucky and Marquette tied at a distant second, and Texas in there to make the home state people happy like UW always is for the Tokotos and Stones of the world.

Certainly possible. But there is a reason why only one school has ever landed two 5 star PG/CGs in the same class (Kentucky in 2016) in the past 15 years (using the 247 Composite). 5 star PGs want to be the starting PG. They don't want to be off guards. They don't want to be 2nd PGs. They don't want to be backups. They want to be the starting PG. That doesn't mean that Grimes won't end up at KU or UK anyway. There are other factors in recruiting that can trump wanting to play a certain position, but I highly doubt that that the Dotson (and Quickley) commitment is non-factor in QG's decision. Elite PGs are different from elite players at other positions.

I do think you are right about TU though.

Plus this is the same kid who tweeted "4" "6" after the Arizona kid committed.

FIFY (he still had a top 7 at that point) but you're spot on. Now there could be another reason why the Quinerley commitment took AZ from "definitely getting a visit" at the beginning of the week to eliminated from his list by the end of the week. But Occam's Razor would suggest that Grimes wasn't interested in playing the 2 alongside Quinerley. Only QG and his circle know whether or not the same logic applies to Quickley at UK and Dotson at KU.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:02:48 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10026 on: October 14, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
Now there could be another reason why the Quinerley commitment took AZ from "definitely getting a visit" at the beginning of the week to eliminated from his list by the end of the week. But Occam's Razor would suggest that Grimes wasn't interested in playing the 2 alongside Quinerley. Only QG and his circle know whether or not the same logic applies to Quickley at UK and Dotson at KU.

Definitely no way for us to know, but I'm very happy considering what we do know:

• Grimes had a top-7 and responded to the 5-star, #19 on 247 Composite Quinerly commitment to Arizona with the "6" tweet.
  • Grimes cut his list to 4.
  • The week Grimes was scheduled to visit Kentucky, 5-star, #8 247 Composite Quickley committed to Kentucky.
  • The week Grimes was scheduled to visit Kansas, 5-star, #24 247 Composite Dotson committed to Kansas.
  • Grimes is scheduled to make his last visit here with no impending commitments possible.
Who knows if any of this will really end up helping, but considering Grimes eliminated Arizona because of Quinerly, it's perfectly logical to believe the Quickley and Dotson commits could impact his opinion on those schools. His Texas visit was over a month ago and when he comes here will be at least far removed from a time perspective. I do feel we are in the best position we could possibly be in. From a timeline perspective, the past 6 weeks couldn't have went much better. It will now be down to Wojo, Stan, and the rest of the staff to seal the deal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10027 on: October 14, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »
Many of the sites i have seen have Grimes listed as a shooting guard so really no way of telling wether he sees the other schools landing top pgs as a positive or a negative.  Purely hot air by the resident blow hards.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #10028 on: October 14, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »
Isn't Ramey still a possibility?

Hopefully, Grimes was entertained by KU football today, at last check they were losing 45-0.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10029 on: October 14, 2017, 04:16:30 PM »
Many of the sites i have seen have Grimes listed as a shooting guard
so really no way of telling 
wether he sees the other schools landing top pgs as a positive or a negative.  Purely hot air by the resident blow hards.

Of course there is. There's more to life than what some sites list him as.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10030 on: October 14, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »
Of course there is. There's more to life than what some sites list him as.

The point is he has even stated the openess and possibility if playing with another top notch guard.  So the constant mental masturbation to other schools receiving pg commits could mean alot and could mean nothing.  Expert opinion is simply guesswork and then calling inside knowledge 50% of the time.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10031 on: October 14, 2017, 05:11:19 PM »
Many of the sites i have seen have Grimes listed as a shooting guard so really no way of telling wether he sees the other schools landing top pgs as a positive or a negative.  Purely hot air by the resident blow hards.

It doesn't matter what a site lists a recruit as. It matters what a recruit sees himself as,  or what a coach can convince him will be successful at.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10032 on: October 14, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »
The point is he has even stated the openess and possibility if playing with another top notch guard.  So the constant mental masturbation to other schools receiving pg commits could mean alot and could mean nothing.  Expert opinion is simply guesswork and then calling inside knowledge 50% of the time.

Maybe but Occams razor, experience, and common sense says otherwise.

Also,  if that's your definition of expert opinion, you might just not know what an expert is.  Jay Bee might be a blowhard sometimes but he knows more about college basketball than 99% of this board
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10033 on: October 14, 2017, 05:38:56 PM »
When I say transfer I mean a player without any prodding says "I want to go somewhere else."

When I say run off a player I mean a coach has a frank conversation with a player and says "son, you aren't getting any playing time next year." And then the player decides to transfer.

I know Jay Bee has hinted about players whose scholarships aren't renewed getting certain protections, but I honestly don't know what they are. I'm not sure what the distinctions are. I'm sure Jay Bee could explain.

My personal view, and I believe we disagree on this, is that scholarships are one year agreements that have to be earned. Student athletes compete for basketball scholarships and there are only 13 to go around. Just like regular students compete for internships, grants, scholarships, etc. If someone else beats you out....that's how the world works. Basketball scholarship is a privilege, not a right.

Now what happens after that, to sit out or not sit out, that's another question, one I can see both sides of.

Sorry TAMU, but I do not see both sides of a guy who gets cut then having to sit out a year at his new school.

I think that sucks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10034 on: October 14, 2017, 07:00:47 PM »
Sorry TAMU, but I do not see both sides of a guy who gets cut then having to sit out a year at his new school.

I think that sucks.

You mean it WOULD suck, bc that's not how the rules are written

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10035 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:16 PM »
You mean it WOULD suck, bc that's not how the rules are written

OK, JB ... that's why I asked the question a couple of pages ago in this thread. I wanted to know if it was how it worked. You either didn't see the question or you chose to ignore it (I like to think it was the former).

Seriously, please educate me as I'd like to know. If a player is run off and ends up at another school, does he have to sit out a year? How about if a player is just "strongly encouraged" to go elsewhere - which we know happens quite frequently? Any other info on this subject would be appreciated.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10036 on: October 14, 2017, 10:26:58 PM »
OK, JB ... that's why I asked the question a couple of pages ago in this thread. I wanted to know if it was how it worked. You either didn't see the question or you chose to ignore it (I like to think it was the former).

Seriously, please educate me as I'd like to know. If a player is run off and ends up at another school, does he have to sit out a year? How about if a player is just "strongly encouraged" to go elsewhere - which we know happens quite frequently? Any other info on this subject would be appreciated.

You're asking different questions in your various posts. Read the bylaws.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10037 on: October 14, 2017, 11:35:21 PM »

My family has had several D 1 athletes.
1. If a player is run off he has to sit out a year.
2. If a player is “ strongly encouraged “ he has to sit out a year.
3. The only players who do not have to sit out are those who have already graduated. They can play immediately.
4. In order to talk to another school regarding a transfer a player has to get a release from their current school.
5. In the minor sports outside of a Football and basketball a player can transfer without sitting out a year.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #10038 on: October 15, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
3. The only players who do not have to sit out are those who have already graduated. They can play immediately.
4. In order to talk to another school regarding a transfer a player has to get a release from their current school.
5. In the minor sports outside of a Football and basketball a player can transfer without sitting out a year.

They have to sit out for baseball too.

A player can transfer down in basketball without sitting.  (To a D2 school for instance.)

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #10039 on: October 15, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »

Players can transfer and play immediately if they go from DI to DII or DIII, even in football and basketball. 

Women's basketball, men's basketball, football, baseball, ice hockey are exceptions where intra Division transfer requires one to sit out a year if you are on scholarship.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10040 on: October 15, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
So I assume that because the thread is discussing 'transfer rules' that Grimes left Lawrence without signing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10041 on: October 15, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »
So I assume that because the thread is discussing 'transfer rules' that Grimes left Lawrence without signing.

Well you can't sign until the early signing period in November  ;D

But it does seem like QG escaped Lawrence without a verbal commitment. I want to give it a day or two to confirm that the trip to Milwaukee is still on but it seems like we cleared this hurdle.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10042 on: October 15, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »

Thanks 9-9-9. Far more useful than JB's blow-off.

And if it's all true, it sucks.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #10043 on: October 15, 2017, 07:45:01 PM »
Thanks 9-9-9. Far more useful than JB's blow-off.

And if it's all true, it sucks.

Yes, it sucks to have great opportunities to play a sport, get their education paid for, lifelong connections to alumni, free food, training, tutors.  Suckage is so understating how horrible it is for these students. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10044 on: October 15, 2017, 08:09:57 PM »
Yes, it sucks to have great opportunities to play a sport, get their education paid for, lifelong connections to alumni, free food, training, tutors.  Suckage is so understating how horrible it is for these students.

You act like Marquette is the only school offering this. They're not. There's no defending the situation with Ellenson. It was sh*tty. The spinning on here is laughable.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10045 on: October 15, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
You act like Marquette is the only school offering this. They're not.

You're right. Minnesota is another one that offers certain kids bball scholarships, ainar?

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #10046 on: October 15, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »
You act like Marquette is the only school offering this. They're not. There's no defending the situation with Ellenson. It was sh*tty. The spinning on here is laughable.

I'm not defending Ellenson situation.  Nor am I throwing a pity party because players have to sit out a year to transfer. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10047 on: October 15, 2017, 09:00:51 PM »
You're right. Minnesota is another one that offers certain kids bball scholarships, rightr?

They still gave him a scholarship. It was pretty clear he wasn't any good, yet MU wanted him for a pretty obvious reason. You're on here defending the actions, saying it was his fault? Sad.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10048 on: October 15, 2017, 09:04:08 PM »
They still gave him a scholarship. It was pretty clear he wasn't any good, yet MU wanted him for a pretty obvious reason. You're on here defending the actions, saying it was his fault? Sad.

You're putting those things in my mouth (nh). Just axing

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #10049 on: October 15, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
Quentin posted on his Instagram that he is home.... but only for a few days.

feedback