Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8719709 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/1/17
« Reply #8800 on: August 05, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
Provided we can get them back on the schedule.

I'm not sure what to think about this guy. Obviously great and seems to have the tools. But also seems way too cocky. Would love to have him here, but he will need to fit in our system, not vice versa. Also, he could well be a leader, but we're going to the Final Four with or without him.

"We're going to,the final 4 with or without him" ? When did this become the Badger board?    :-\

People need to calm down .....MU could have an excellent team with or without Grimes but that by no means guarantees they are making it to a final 4. We have had lots of really good teams not make final 4s.....so have lots of other schools.

Just relax and let's see how things play out.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #8801 on: August 05, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »
With or without Grimes, MU should not be on the bubble in 2018.  10 players back with experience, add Morrow and Bailey who are at least 21 and a 4-star, MU
should be ranked between 15-30, if they get Grimes maybe better.  Final 4, MU has had much better teams in the past and did not make it.  At times, it is luck
of the draw on who you play.  Getting a victory is not out of the question and maybe 2.  Sweet 16 should be the goal.  Now 2019, should be better than 2018.

Wojo is building a program much like Crean did, and Buzz until Buzz realized he was jumping ship with no talent left. to hand off to Wojo.  I think when Wojo leaves
that will not happen.  I expect a good recruiting class in 2019 as they are really done for 2018 besides one player. 

2017 is a real crap shoot, have no idea what to expect.  Some veterans back then a bench of all freshman, Froling at half time.  Does he fit with the group or not
after they play 10 games or so?  Luke came in right away with no center, Froling comes in with 2 centers already playing? It will be interesting.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8802 on: August 05, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
Didn't like he last line of the article:

"Despite not having dates scheduled, Grimes said that he intends to at least take official visits to Arizona, Kansas and Texas."

If you were a top 20 player and Arizona and Kansas made you a priority, would you choose Marquette? Kansas and Arizona pop out lottery picks every year and that's what most top 20 kids want. Not saying he can't achieve that at Marquette. But objectively, he'd be silly not to visit those schools and feel them out.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8803 on: August 05, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
I'm ok with Grimes being cocky.  After all, he put Texas HS basketball on the map!
I see what you did there, with cheese, hey?
Goal is National Championship

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #8804 on: August 05, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
"We're going to,the final 4 with or without him" ? When did this become the Badger board?    :-\

People need to calm down .....MU could have an excellent team with or without Grimes but that by no means guarantees they are making it to a final 4. We have had lots of really good teams not make final 4s.....so have lots of other schools.

Just relax and let's see how things play out.

Best part about that comment was the poster faulting QG for being cocky, then proceeding to proclaim that MU would make a Final Four run with or without him.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8805 on: August 05, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »
Best part about that comment was the poster faulting QG for being cocky, then proceeding to proclaim that MU would make a Final Four run with or without him.

I'm the poster.

What I said was we will not be dependent on one piece, or one cog to get us to the Final Four. We're going to get there because we're building something. Not because we will or will not get QG.

I hope we get him and I hope what you guys all say is true and that he becomes something very important for us.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8806 on: August 05, 2017, 08:06:09 PM »
One of these things is not like the others.

World?

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8807 on: August 05, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »
One of these things is not like the others.
Absolutely! 
Vander brought us a Big East Championship and an Elite 8.  Mayo and Maymon brought us next to nothing.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8808 on: August 05, 2017, 09:33:07 PM »
Absolutely! 
Vander brought us a Big East Championship and an Elite 8.

And it took how long to get anything out of him?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8809 on: August 05, 2017, 11:24:12 PM »

Uhhh, he was a very good role player on that 2011-12 team. Just because he left early doesn't mean you get to dismiss his accomplishments. First we're better off without Grimes because he's cocky and now this take?

On a roll today...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8810 on: August 06, 2017, 12:21:01 AM »

Really?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #8811 on: August 06, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
i
With or without Grimes, MU should not be on the bubble in 2018.  10 players back with experience, add Morrow and Bailey who are at least 21 and a 4-star, MU
should be ranked between 15-30, if they get Grimes maybe better.  Final 4, MU has had much better teams in the past and did not make it.  At times, it is luck
of the draw on who you play.  Getting a victory is not out of the question and maybe 2.  Sweet 16 should be the goal.  Now 2019, should be better than 2018.

Wojo is building a program much like Crean did, and Buzz until Buzz realized he was jumping ship with no talent left. to hand off to Wojo.  I think when Wojo leaves
that will not happen.  I expect a good recruiting class in 2019 as they are really done for 2018 besides one player. 

2017 is a real crap shoot, have no idea what to expect.  Some veterans back then a bench of all freshman, Froling at half time.  Does he fit with the group or not
after they play 10 games or so?  Luke came in right away with no center, Froling comes in with 2 centers already playing? It will be interesting.

Crean built a program?!  Were u alive in yrs 5 and 6, of this "program" Crean built when we were in the NIT with almost no talent?  I hope to God that Wojo isnt building a program like Crean did.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8812 on: August 06, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
Final 4, MU has had much better teams in the past and did not make it.  At times, it is luck of the draw on who you play.

Too early to say. If Hauser and Howard are all-timers at Marquette, the addition of two potential five-stars to a deep roster could make 2018-19 one of the best teams we've seen, certainly in the last 30 years.

But I felt similarly about 2013-14 and we saw how that team collapsed after Blue left early. Regardless, 2018-19 could be the best team we've seen since 2003.

Wojo is building a program much like Crean did, and Buzz until Buzz realized he was jumping ship with no talent left. to hand off to Wojo.  I think when Wojo leaves that will not happen.

I disagree with almost all of this. I think that Wojo has a completely different blueprint to Crean, and in many ways is closer to Buzz's blueprint than he is to Crean.

Wojo seems to want 3-4 combo guards (Howard, Rowsey, Cheatham, Elliott, and Grimes all fit that label) and the rest switchables. Heldt is really his only recruit who you could pin down to one position. Everyone else is a switchable. Even the bigs this year, John, Froling, and Eke, in terms of scouting report are athletic enough to play the 4 and 5.

What separates Wojo's roster for me is that he is doing a better job of building depth. Crean was good at recruiting a starting 5 but there was always a clear divide between the starting and bench talent. Buzz generally was a failure in terms of recruiting HS players so there was never enough continuity between to create a deep lineup. Neither Buzz nor Crean ever had a bench that went more than 2-3 deep.

We went 9 deep last year and likely would've went to 10 had Traci not transferred. Looking at 2018-19, at the least I expect Cheatham, Heldt, Howard, Sam, Froling, Morrow, John, Joey, Bailey, and Cain to be contributors. If Anim made the most of his redshirt year and Elliott and Eke are high-major talents, that's 10-13 guys that can actually contribute. If you add Grimes and he replaces the least productive player, that's a roster that you would expect from day one to go to 11 deep. That's something neither Crean nor Buzz ever dreamed of, and I'd challenge anyone who didn't think those 11 guys were all worthy of at least 10-15 mpg.

Last year, Sam Hauser played 26.5 minutes per game and led the team in that category. He's the only player this century to lead MU in minutes and not play 30+ mpg. I think Wojo would rather have 10 guys playing 20 minutes than 5 guys playing 30 minutes and a short bench.

His roster construction seems to be closer to Kentucky, with great depth and interchangeable players. They are obviously a bit further down the rankings chart which will provide better experience (albeit less raw talent). I wasn't around for most of the 70s, and wasn't aware of CBB for any of them, but I think what Wojo is doing in terms of roster construction is different than anything we've seen. I also think it's building a roster with goals of greater success than either Crean or Buzz targeted.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:18:45 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8813 on: August 06, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
I disagree with almost all of this. I think that Wojo has a completely different blueprint to Crean, and in many ways is closer to Buzz's blueprint than he is to Crean.

Wojo seems to want 3-4 combo guards (Howard, Rowsey, Cheatham, Elliott, and Grimes all fit that label) and the rest switchables. Heldt is really his only recruit who you could pin down to one position. Everyone else is a switchable. Even the bigs this year, John, Froling, and Eke, in terms of scouting report are athletic enough to play the 4 and 5.

What separates Wojo's roster for me is that he is doing a better job of building depth. Crean was good at recruiting a starting 5 but there was always a clear divide between the starting and bench talent. Buzz generally was a failure in terms of recruiting HS players so there was never enough continuity between to create a deep lineup. Neither Buzz nor Crean ever had a bench that went more than 2-3 deep.

We went 9 deep last year and likely would've went to 10 had Traci not transferred. Looking at 2018-19, at the least I expect Cheatham, Heldt, Howard, Sam, Froling, Morrow, John, Joey, Bailey, and Cain to be contributors. If Anim made the most of his redshirt year and Elliott and Eke are high-major talents, that's 10-13 guys that can actually contribute. If you add Grimes and he replaces the least productive player, that's a roster that you would expect from day one to go to 11 deep. That's something neither Crean nor Buzz ever dreamed of, and I'd challenge anyone who didn't think those 11 guys were all worthy of at least 10-15 mpg.

Last year, Sam Hauser played 26.5 minutes per game and led the team in that category. He's the only player this century to lead MU in minutes and not play 30+ mpg. I think Wojo would rather have 10 guys playing 20 minutes than 5 guys playing 30 minutes and a short bench.

His roster construction seems to be closer to Kentucky, with great depth and interchangeable players. They are obviously a bit further down the rankings chart which will provide better experience (albeit less raw talent). I wasn't around for most of the 70s, and wasn't aware of CBB for any of them, but I think what Wojo is doing in terms of roster construction is different than anything we've seen. I also think it's building a roster with goals of greater success than either Crean or Buzz targeted.

Absolutely Concur.  You got my vote Brew.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8814 on: August 06, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
Too early to say. If Hauser and Howard are all-timers at Marquette, the addition of two potential five-stars to a deep roster could make 2018-19 one of the best teams we've seen, certainly in the last 30 years.

But I felt similarly about 2013-14 and we saw how that team collapsed after Blue left early. Regardless, 2018-19 could be the best team we've seen since 2003.

Agree though don't know if Theo John can play anything other than the 5 or whether Wojo will even play him away from the 5.   We shall see.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:43:15 AM by Nukem2 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8815 on: August 06, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
Uhhh, he was a very good role player on that 2011-12 team. Just because he left early doesn't mean you get to dismiss his accomplishments. First we're better off without Grimes because he's cocky and now this take?

On a roll today...

Chitown .. C'mon. I said I hope we get him. I also said the program is not dependent on us getting QG, or anyone else for that matter.

Look, I hope we get QG and I hope he turns out to be everything we think he can be in here.  But to read some of this stuff, you'd think our entire future is dependent on this guy choosing us over Kansas, Texas, Texas A&M and Kentucky.

Again, it would be a HUGE get if QG came here. and I hope he does. But if he doesn't, I'm still excited for what's happening and what's coming down the road.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8816 on: August 06, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »
Chitown .. C'mon. I said I hope we get him. I also said the program is not dependent on us getting QG, or anyone else for that matter.

Look, I hope we get QG and I hope he turns out to be everything we think he can be in here.  But to read some of this stuff, you'd think our entire future is dependent on this guy choosing us over Kansas, Texas, Texas A&M and Kentucky.

Again, it would be a HUGE get if QG came here. and I hope he does. But if he doesn't, I'm still excited for what's happening and what's coming down the road.

Yeah but your Vander take was very, very wrong.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8817 on: August 06, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »

Yeah but your Vander take was very, very wrong.

Agree to disagree. I thought he was great his junior year. No argument, especially given where we were a year later without him. How things would have changed if he stayed around his senior year is open to debate.

But his freshman and sophomore years were nothing to write home to Mom about. Perhaps I was expecting more from him, but I just didn't see it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8818 on: August 06, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »
Agree to disagree. I thought he was great his junior year. No argument, especially given where we were a year later without him. How things would have changed if he stayed around his senior year is open to debate.

But his freshman and sophomore years were nothing to write home to Mom about. Perhaps I was expecting more from him, but I just didn't see it.

You were expecting too much, especially on the offensive end.  He was not a great shooter no doubt, but he excelled as a defender and as a rebounding guard on two S16 teams.  Played 19 and 25 mpg as a freshman and sophomore.  I mean, in his sophomore year, Marquette doesn't win in Madison without Vander.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8819 on: August 06, 2017, 05:08:10 PM »
If you were a top 20 player and Arizona and Kansas made you a priority, would you choose Marquette? Kansas and Arizona pop out lottery picks every year and that's what most top 20 kids want. Not saying he can't achieve that at Marquette. But objectively, he'd be silly not to visit those schools and feel them out.

Lottery picks will be found no matter where they play at. It is the player's talent - not the school - that makes them a lottery pick.

If QG is talented enough to be a lottery pick, he will be one no matter where he plays, be it Kentucky, Kansas, Depaul, or UW-Parkside.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #8820 on: August 06, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »
iCrean built a program?!  Were u alive in yrs 5 and 6, of this "program" Crean built when we were in the NIT with almost no talent?  I hope to God that Wojo isnt building a program like Crean did.

I would say Crean brought the program back to respectability after Mike Deane.  Got MU into the Final 4, lets see Wojo do that, plus left Buzz a stacked team once
he left.  Sure every year was not perfect,  but MU is not utopia.  I am excited about the future, with or without Grimes.  Lets face it, the best recruit for him, might
be Stan Johnson.  I am very intrigued by Brenden Bailey.  He was very skinny 2 years ago, much like Cain and Elliott, put on 15 pounds and once he gets to MU I can
see him adding 10 more.  He might be your 2 guard next year, never know.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8821 on: August 06, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
I would say Crean brought the program back to respectability after Mike Deane.  Got MU into the Final 4, lets see Wojo do that, plus left Buzz a stacked team once
he left.  Sure every year was not perfect,  but MU is not utopia.  I am excited about the future, with or without Grimes.  Lets face it, the best recruit for him, might
be Stan Johnson.  I am very intrigued by Brenden Bailey.  He was very skinny 2 years ago, much like Cain and Elliott, put on 15 pounds and once he gets to MU I can
see him adding 10 more.  He might be your 2 guard next year, never know.

Buzz left a stacked team when he left?  Pardon??

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8822 on: August 06, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »
Buzz left a stacked team when he left?  Pardon??

Crean left Buzz a stacked team when Crean left.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8823 on: August 06, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »
Crean left Buzz a stacked team when Crean left.

For 1 year. Cupboard was nearly bare in year 2, totally bare by year 3.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8824 on: August 06, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
For 1 year. Cupboard was nearly bare in year 2, totally bare by year 3.

???  How many coaches leave their successor with anything in year 3?