[June 19, 2024, 11:34:33 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 19, 2024, 10:13:47 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[June 19, 2024, 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 6/15/24  (Read 8965465 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 8/1/17
« Reply #8775 on: August 04, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »
Late Night at the Phog. Ooft. That's a tough environment to top. We could probably use another Nova type win when he visits campus.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8776 on: August 04, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-guard-Quentin-Grimes-discusses-his-list-of-seven-105782365

h I don't think it's his team from day 1 like he said

I'm guessing that Wojo said that, and meant it was his job from Day 1 to Lose.  This might help give us the edge in competing with these heavyweight.  Most Top Recruits are not Dumb and do not want to be Mislead.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #8777 on: August 04, 2017, 04:51:51 PM »
Didn't like he last line of the article:

"Despite not having dates scheduled, Grimes said that he intends to at least take official visits to Arizona, Kansas and Texas."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8778 on: August 04, 2017, 05:05:19 PM »
Well according to you I am undervaluing every player. And I am talking about Wojo's pitch to Grimes not the actual rotation. Wojo is not telling Grimes you can come in and play behind a former three star recruit.
I think your undervaluing Cain , Ike and Elliot and slightly over valuing Froling .

I agree with you on Wojos pitch. He needs to make the speech he is giving to close the deal. Real life once he is here  is different though.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/17
« Reply #8779 on: August 04, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
Who would win a fight between Herro and Kostas?
Herro may be Most Unguardable Player in Wisconsin History, Perhaps (tm), but I've heard he has a glass jaw, and think of Kostas' huge reach advantage...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8780 on: August 04, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »
Some of you guys read way too much into things. I thought the comments about Marquette by Grimes were great. MU is the complete outlier on his list, Grimes wants to feel loved and a top priority and that's exactly how MU is recruiting him. He should take officials to those other schools, and if MU stays on him, let him want to come and take a closer look. MU would have been the easy choice to eliminate by now, let Wojo keep working on Grimes. If he doesn't pick MU, it won't be from lack of effort.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8781 on: August 04, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
Loved Grimes' comments and very impressed by the work ethic of Wojo and his assistants.

Still, I'm always a little uneasy when a coach promises "X" to a high school kid, as Wojo has done if Grimes is to be believed. I know many coaches do it - maybe even most - but I'm uncomfortable with the suggestion that a kid won't have to earn a starting spot on a potential FF team. Maybe Wojo did make the "earn" part of that plain to Grimes and he just has so much confidence that he's thinking, "Of course I'll earn it." I definitely could be reading too much into the words of a 17-year-old.

C'mon to Milwaukee, kid ... the weather's not fine but the program is!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8782 on: August 04, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
I definitely could be reading too much into the words of a 17-year-old.

You are; you know better.

In Vegas, we were deeeeeep consistently... but, Cal and and Miller were there a ton too...

Different kids are motivated by different things.. different kids are turned off by different things... difficult to know where the key lightswitches are... but pleased we're in a serious convo with QG
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #8783 on: August 04, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »
I'm glad Wojo and staff are going all out for the cherry on top of the 2018 class.  Nothing to lose and the world to gain.  And I don't see the issue with Wojo saying he'd expect QG to start from day one.  Sam did last year and we really don't have a good fit at PG for 2018 right now; Howard, at least as a frosh, was much better off the ball.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #8784 on: August 04, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
We were very fortunate that Hauser committed when he did, because 1) Wojo can tell Grimes honestly that he is their top (only?) priority for 2018 and 2) Grimes can see that Wojo has another critical piece in place that would attract him. I'm not sure he's fully sold on this idea that Calipari will sign three guards and play all of them together. 

It seemed there was a trend last year among the top 15 or so spreading themselves out over a number of schools instead of just bunching up
between Duke, KY and Kansas. Look at Markell Fultz, still picked number 1 in the NBA draft after playing for a mediocre Washington team. It makes me think that for many of these 1 and dones that college is just a "gap" year before the NBA, and they just want to hoop and maybe be "the man" somewhere before they go into rookie hazing at the big leagues. This year you have Michael Porter at Mizzou (after Cuonzo cleverly snapped up his dad as an assistant). So it doesn't seem a stretch to think that Grimes could choose MU over home schools or Blue Bloods.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #8785 on: August 04, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »
I think your undervaluing Cain , Ike and Elliot and slightly over valuing Froling .

I agree with you on Wojos pitch. He needs to make the speech he is giving to close the deal. Real life once he is here  is different though.

Real life once he gets here is that hes rated around where henry is and better than marcus was and will get/earn similar playing time as they did as Freshman cuz he is that good
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8786 on: August 05, 2017, 01:54:21 AM »
Love Wojo's approach with Grimes to give MU a distinct, memorable and personal pitch. Shows why he's a good recruiter.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8787 on: August 05, 2017, 05:33:13 AM »
All we need to close the deal is a simulated radio call by Homer and Mac where QG makes the winning shot against ND. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8788 on: August 05, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »
All we need to close the deal is a simulated radio call by Homer and Mac where QG makes the winning shot against ND.

Provided we can get them back on the schedule.

I'm not sure what to think about this guy. Obviously great and seems to have the tools. But also seems way too cocky. Would love to have him here, but he will need to fit in our system, not vice versa. Also, he could well be a leader, but we're going to the Final Four with or without him.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8789 on: August 05, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »
Simulated.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8790 on: August 05, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »
Provided we can get them back on the schedule.

I'm not sure what to think about this guy. Obviously great and seems to have the tools. But also seems way too cocky. Would love to have him here, but he will need to fit in our system, not vice versa. Also, he could well be a leader, but we're going to the Final Four with or without him.

I'm ok with Grimes being cocky.  After all, he put Texas HS basketball on the map!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8791 on: August 05, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »
Loved Grimes' comments and very impressed by the work ethic of Wojo and his assistants.

Still, I'm always a little uneasy when a coach promises "X" to a high school kid, as Wojo has done if Grimes is to be believed. I know many coaches do it - maybe even most - but I'm uncomfortable with the suggestion that a kid won't have to earn a starting spot on a potential FF team. Maybe Wojo did make the "earn" part of that plain to Grimes and he just has so much confidence that he's thinking, "Of course I'll earn it." I definitely could be reading too much into the words of a 17-year-old.

C'mon to Milwaukee, kid ... the weather's not fine but the program is!

So does Wojo have a sense of who will transfer or encouraged to transfer or go pro if Grimes does commit? Does he expect that to happen?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:35:48 AM by muwarrior69 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8792 on: August 05, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »
So does Wojo have a sense of who will transfer or encouraged to transfer or go pro if Grimes does commit? Does he expect that to happen?

Considering we have had someone transfer every year for that last what? 10 years? I think Wojo can make an assumption without having to have a player in mind.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8793 on: August 05, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8794 on: August 05, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »
People, Grimes is explaining what Wojo and staff's recruiting pitch to him has been. He is not saying on his own, "I know I'm better than the guys they've recruited and landed and can go in there and be their best player from day one." He is saying, "'Wojo and staff have been telling me that I'm the final piece to their Final Four puzzle and they would like me to come in and be that piece that runs the team and takes us to that level.'"

There is a gigantic difference that people seem to be missing here. Grimes is not saying what he believes would happen if he went to Marquette, he is explaining Wojo's pitch to him. There is not one iota of cockiness to what Grimes is saying.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #8795 on: August 05, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
Quentin hit it RIGHT

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8796 on: August 05, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
People, Grimes is explaining what Wojo and staff's recruiting pitch to him has been. He is not saying on his own, "I know I'm better than the guys they've recruited and landed and can go in there and be their best player from day one." He is saying, "'Wojo and staff have been telling me that I'm the final piece to their Final Four puzzle and they would like me to come in and be that piece that runs the team and takes us to that level.'"

There is a gigantic difference that people seem to be missing here. Grimes is not saying what he believes would happen if he went to Marquette, he is explaining Wojo's pitch to him. There is not one iota of cockiness to what Grimes is saying.

This + infinity.

I don't get some of the comments here. A 5 star recruit from Texas is listening strongly to MU, where MU is battling blue bloods for Grimes. Wojo is selling and tailoring his pitch to what Grimes wants to hear, exactly as he should be. If Grimes wants to come to MU, do everything possible to make it happen. Not only do you get Grimes, you keep opening future recruiting doors nationally.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8797 on: August 05, 2017, 11:55:59 AM »

It's really as simple as all this.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8798 on: August 05, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »

If you are right -- and I really hope you are -- then this kid is an important piece of the puzzle.

But I've seen the Todd Mayos, Vander Blues and Jeronne Maymons of the world too.

Still, this kid has talent and it's a pleasure to see us fighting with the likes of Kansas, Kentucky and the Texas schools for him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8799 on: August 05, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »
But I've seen the Todd Mayos, Vander Blues and Jeronne Maymons of the world too.

One of these things is not like the others.