[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Daniel
[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338466 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/1
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
No.

As a coach, you are always recruiting. Even after all your scholarships are filled. Bowden and Young getting offers have nothing to do with Markus Howard. Especially since they both play a different position than he does.

"Offer" is a very misleading term. Really means nothing more than the coach has verbally committed to being interested in a recruit. A recruit could "accept an offer" and the coach could still say "no, I'm not going to take you yet."

If a coach has two openings and 5 "offers" out there he would surely take commitments from his top 2 targets. If the guys who's #5 on the coach's wish list wants to commit he might ask him to wait a bit to see how things shake out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #351 on: February 09, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »
Check Jordan Bowden Twitter and Kalif Young's Twitter as of the last 24 hours.

Jordan Bowden (@JordyBow3)

Kalif Young (@youngkalif13)

Some MU chatter!

Watch it. Some folks here think it's "creepy" to follow a high school athlete on Twitter. Of course, some folks have interesting opinions about lots of things.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #352 on: February 09, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
If a coach has two openings and 5 "offers" out there he would surely take commitments from his top 2 targets. If the guys who's #5 on the coach's wish list wants to commit he might ask him to wait a bit to see how things shake out.

I think that's what I said.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #353 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »
No.

As a coach, you are always recruiting. Even after all your scholarships are filled. Bowden and Young getting offers have nothing to do with Markus Howard. Especially since they both play a different position than he does.

"Offer" is a very misleading term. Really means nothing more than the coach has verbally committed to being interested in a recruit. A recruit could "accept an offer" and the coach could still say "no, I'm not going to take you yet."

Understood. A 247 writer told me his new piece on MH would be coming out today or Tmr so I thought it could be MH related

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #354 on: February 09, 2016, 09:20:13 AM »
Bowden looks interesting.  Obviously, you never stop recruiting, but it does seem a bit odd. Either Wojo isn't very confident in landing Markus Howard (or he isn't reclassifying), or he thinks someone is leaving.  Have to imagine Wojo wants to leave a spot open for a grad transfer, too.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #355 on: February 09, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »
I think that's what I said.

I was clarifying what you said and agreeing with you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #356 on: February 09, 2016, 09:22:26 AM »
I was clarifying what you said and agreeing with you.

Gotcha, honestly not used to people agreeing with people on here, haha
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #357 on: February 09, 2016, 09:33:47 AM »
Bowden is a 6'5" SF.  Howard is a 5'10" PG.  Not sure that one has anything to do with the other.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #358 on: February 09, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »
Bowden is a 6'5" SF.  Howard is a 5'10" PG.  Not sure that one has anything to do with the other.

The fact that there are two only scholarships remaining for next year (assuming HE leaves) has something to do with one another.  If Bowden were to commit, that means either Howard isn't coming (whether that be he is going elsewhere or staying at 2017), or we aren't getting a PF, whether that be a Kalif Young or a grad transfer big.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #359 on: February 09, 2016, 09:47:53 AM »
Wojo could always adopt someone and pay his way...
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #360 on: February 09, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
The fact that there are two only scholarships remaining for next year (assuming HE leaves) has something to do with one another.  If Bowden were to commit, that means either Howard isn't coming (whether that be he is going elsewhere or staying at 2017), or we aren't getting a PF, whether that be a Kalif Young or a grad transfer big.

Yes, but then every single scholarship offer would have something to do with each other.  Every coach in college basketball, even Cal, knows he isn't going to bat 1.000 on recruits.  Just because some coaches give out 20 offers to a certain class doesn't mean they're expecting all 13 of their scholarship players not to return, plus to have 7 kids commit and then decommit.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #361 on: February 09, 2016, 10:08:29 AM »
Yes, but then every single scholarship offer would have something to do with each other.  Every coach in college basketball, even Cal, knows he isn't going to bat 1.000 on recruits.  Just because some coaches give out 20 offers to a certain class doesn't mean they're expecting all 13 of their scholarship players not to return, plus to have 7 kids commit and then decommit.

I realize that. 2 scholarships is quite a bit different than 13 and this team needs a big next year in a BAAAADDDD way.  My guess is one scholarship will be saved for a grad transfer big. That basically leaves one, again assuming HE leaves.

Like I said, never stop recruiting.     

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #362 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:45 AM »
Bowden looks interesting.  Obviously, you never stop recruiting, but it does seem a bit odd. Either Wojo isn't very confident in landing Markus Howard (or he isn't reclassifying), or he thinks someone is leaving.  Have to imagine Wojo wants to leave a spot open for a grad transfer, too.

Offers ain't worth sh*t. A made up term to help fans understand who their coaches are interested in. Howard's recruitment hasn't changed in the slightest and no one is planning on leaving. Bowden is just also on the list as a possibility.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #363 on: February 09, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
Last year there were a couple of good examples of how the "offer" process works.

Matt Ryan, who ultimately went to Notre Dame, had "offers" from UNC , Duke etc. He had surgery and suddenly those offers disappeared pending his recovery,those schools strung him out and never did re offer. MU and Creighton got in the process at the end hoping to pick him up.  Notre Dame never wavered on their offer and then put some pressure on him to accept, which he did, as he stated he did not want to lose the offer.

Similarly, Matt Heldt  who was on the rise in recruiting,received a bona fide actionable offer from MU and accepted under the bird in the hand theory , knowing these things can change.

Recruiting is a juggling act on both sides. Everyone once in awhile  it gets screwed up like Buzz did with Newbill. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #364 on: February 09, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »
Zags piece on Kalif Young today:

Young also holds offers from Marquette, Providence, Pittsburgh, Alabama, Minnesota, St. Bonaventure and Illinois State.

"Kalif is a very skilled lefty with college strength already," Blunt said. "He has incredible feel for the game and can shoot the ball consistently from 17 feet in, and the pick-and-pop 3. You can throw the ball to Kalif on the block and not only can he score, but he is an exceptional passer. He can hedge on ball screens and even switch out on guards in late-shot clock situations. He's a great kid with a great family.

"Kalif will be a household name before the year is out."

Blunt said Young is in "no rush" to make a decision.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #365 on: February 09, 2016, 07:40:08 PM »
Stan Johnson in Detroit to watch 2017 SF Jamal Cain according to Prep Hoops MI

https://youtu.be/q9pLravgqJM

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #366 on: February 09, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »
In an ideal world we sign:

Bruno Fernando or Khalif Young

and

Howard reclassifies to join MU's 2016 class. 

If my counts are correct, that would fill our class and if for some reason Wally decided to forgo his senior season to focus on High Jump, we would have a third spot for a grad transfer.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #367 on: February 09, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »

and

If my counts are correct, that would fill our class and if for some reason Wally decided to forgo his senior season to focus on High Jump, we would have a third spot for a grad transfer.

Sign me up for that!

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #368 on: February 09, 2016, 09:10:23 PM »
Was Wojo at the SPASH game? Per twitter, Becky's HC was there. I assume somebody from mu went

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #369 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:02 AM »

and

The offer to Young is pretty nice. Kid really is really picking up steam right now and it sounds like he doesn't have a lean one way or the other. The mid-range game is an added bonus.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #370 on: February 11, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »
Wojo watching Bruno tonight

tower912

• All American
« Reply #371 on: February 11, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »
Wojo watching Bruno tonight

He's too hot (hot damn).......    I don't believe he just watched.... don't believe he just watched...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #372 on: February 11, 2016, 08:19:05 PM »
He's too hot (hot damn).......    I don't believe he just watched.... don't believe he just watched...

You win the Internet :)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #373 on: February 11, 2016, 08:26:27 PM »
Wojo could always adopt someone and pay his way...
I could see Henry paying for Wally to allow us to use Wally's scholarship.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »

feedback