[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Zog from Margo
[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336978 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2015, 08:41:21 PM »
Amir Coffey isn't going to make or break MU basketball.  I'd love to have him, but recruiting disappointments happen all the time.

Sam Bowie...Mark Aguirre...Terry Cummings...Scooter "Trombone" McCray...Walter Downing...

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
Plenty of possibilities with AC still
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »
Of course i would want HE to return as a beast sophomore but if I think there are 4 realistic options:
1. HE dominates, takes us deep and leaves for the NBA. (Okafor)
2. HE is underwhelming but leaves for the NBA based on potential (Kevon Looney)
3. HE never lives up to his potential and is a serviceable player for 3 years.

I guess the fourth scenario is he sticks around after a slightly disappointing year and really comes into his own as a sophomore. But HE seems like he has 1 and done potential and I want MU to continue to have a rep of developing NBA talent instead of having recruits underachieve.

Like I said, I would rather the guy come in and be a beast leading us to a tourney run then to be a disappointment. What's wrong with hoping for the best year a team can possibly have considering who knows what will happen the following year?

I guess I am also a fan who thinks it is usually better for a player to leave early then lose millions of dollars/experience in college. The guy is a top 10 pick right now and leading this team to the S16 will solidify it. I would never wish for a player to come back in that scenario because it will most likely be against his best interests.

I'm like you guys and can dream HE coming in dominating and coming back to promise a F4 appearance, but I don't see it happening. I would rather have him dominate and leave then struggle and stay.

I think he will stay all four years. My current best guess is he will have a steady progression ending as Big East Player of the Year as a Senior. Upside is he has a Ty Hansbrough/ Doug McDermott type college career.

Needs to demonstrate he can play against tough athletic quick players. I think Big East is a great forum for him to do that. Obviously his skills are formidable and very glad we have him.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2015, 10:07:20 PM »
I think he will stay all four years. My current best guess is he will have a steady progression ending as Big East Player of the Year as a Senior. Upside is he has a Ty Hansbrough/ Doug McDermott type college career.

Needs to demonstrate he can play against tough athletic quick players. I think Big East is a great forum for him to do that. Obviously his skills are formidable and very glad we have him.

<chuckle>
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »
Coffey is a nice player, but I think Stevens is a better fit for the roster moving forward.

No chance.

Stevens would be a very nice alternative.

But coffey is a huge get
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2015, 12:32:12 AM »
Geez, two crystal predictions and all of the sudden Wojo has cooled on him. Just give Wojo some time. Lil Richie has plenty of time to screw this up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Recruiting as of 8/1
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2015, 01:00:52 AM »
I thought that happened when we lost to Miami of Ohio in 1978.

I think we all knew the carnival ride was over when we lost that game. Hank inherited the best team in the goddam country and choked. Disgusting.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »

HE isn't staying four years.  We'll be lucky to get two.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »
Dude I'm saying it's bad for us that they are predicting he goes to minny. You know, like bad for our chances?

I'm not saying it's a program crumbling development lol.

I wonder if the Italy trip may have something to do with this. First batch of visits announced when our entire staff is overseas. It will be interesting to see if a MU visit is added once the staff gets back.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2015, 08:31:42 AM »
No chance.

Stevens would be a very nice alternative.

But coffey is a huge get

He's a very good player. But MU has a bunch of guys at the wing. They need a little steel with the skill they have, and Stevens fits that bill.

That's operating under the assumption that MU only has one to give, though. I'm guessing there will be one more opening up.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2015, 08:36:46 AM »
Mark Miller and Meyer just predicted Coffey to Minnesota

The downside of having a talented roster is not being able to realistically offer a lot of playing time to recruits.  Al was able to recruit guys by telling them that their year to shine would be their senior year!  Boy, is that over.  Just one of the chances Al saw coming that he didn't want to be around for.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2015, 08:39:59 AM »
Mark Miller and Meyer just predicted Coffey to Minnesota

And just like that the two wing players in the class of 2016 "problem" goes away.  As a good an illustration as any of why you don't string along a player like Sam Houser hoping to get someone better.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2015, 08:45:49 AM »
Of course i would want HE to return as a beast sophomore but if I think there are 4 realistic options:

I guess the fourth scenario is he sticks around after a slightly disappointing year and really comes into his own as a sophomore. But HE seems like he has 1 and done potential and I want MU to continue to have a rep of developing NBA talent instead of having recruits underachieve.

Like I said, I would rather the guy come in and be a beast leading us to a tourney run then to be a disappointment. What's wrong with hoping for the best year a team can possibly have considering who knows what will happen the following year?

I guess I am also a fan who thinks it is usually better for a player to leave early then lose millions of dollars/experience in college. The guy is a top 10 pick right now and leading this team to the S16 will solidify it. I would never wish for a player to come back in that scenario because it will most likely be against his best interests.

I'm like you guys and can dream HE coming in dominating and coming back to promise a F4 appearance, but I don't see it happening. I would rather have him dominate and leave then struggle and stay.

I agree.  IIRC, HE would be MU's first foray into one and done territory.  Having him struggle for a year before developing later wouldn't help with the future recruitment of one and done types. So, HE leaving after one year could do even more for MU than just raising the success of this year's team.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:50:01 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2015, 08:59:59 AM »
I agree.  IIRC, HE would be MU's first foray into one and done territory.  Having him struggle for a year before developing later wouldn't help with the future recruitment of one and done types. So, HE leaving after one year could do even more for MU than just raising the success of this year's team.

My thoughts exactly

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »

in general I agree with this assessment, but let's just remember that it might not apply fully to the situation of Henry at MU - while he is a one and done type talent - he is also from Wisconsin and his brother was already here - these were factors that undoubtedly boosted MU's stock to get this specific one and done type of player - i'm not sure how many potential one and done'rs out there that would look to MU more favorably because of Ellenson's success, but I agree it doesn't hurt - However, I would rather he stay more than a year

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2015, 10:55:18 AM »

I think there is one additional (and my hopeful) scenario - HE comes in and dominates, or HE comes in and has a season like Looney did - will likely be a lottery pick or late 1st rounder, but decides to come back and play one more year with his brother and try to win a championship.  I think this is fairly unlikely, but I'd say it is possible, and probably the best case scenario for us as fans. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
I wonder if the Italy trip may have something to do with this. First batch of visits announced when our entire staff is overseas. It will be interesting to see if a MU visit is added once the staff gets back.

That's a good point regarding our staffs availability at the moment but Minnesota is also overseas. Although they are the home town team.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2015, 11:37:57 AM »
I think there is one additional (and my hopeful) scenario - HE comes in and dominates, or HE comes in and has a season like Looney did - will likely be a lottery pick or late 1st rounder, but decides to come back and play one more year with his brother and try to win a championship.  I think this is fairly unlikely, but I'd say it is possible, and probably the best case scenario for us as fans.
It would need to be a perfect balancing act but I agree that would be best. I don't find it likely, though. I would rather just hope HE dominates right away instead of worrying about year 2.

I get what you are saying about Looney in comparison to HE, but he played well enough to be a lottery pick and only fell due to his health issues.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2015, 11:58:17 AM »
Y'all are so silly. #5 is gonna realize a total north of 8 mil. if his club option is exercised in the last year of his rookie contract. Let's hear it for ol' Marquette, u rah rah, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »
Y'all are so silly. #5 is gonna realize a total north of 8 mil. if his club option is exercised in the last year of his rookie contract. Let's hear it for ol' Marquette, u rah rah, ai na?

If you have x years that you can play in the NBA you will always be better off starting the clock early (meaning as soon as you can get a guaranteed contract).  If you don't get renewed/resigned after your rookie contract, no amount of extra years in college would have made it happen.

Doug McDermott makes people feel better about themselves though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:05:01 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2015, 12:08:27 PM »
If you have x years that you can play in the NBA you will always be better off starting the clock early (meaning as soon as you can get a guaranteed contract).  If you don't get renewed/resigned after your rookie contract, no amount of extra years in college would have made it happen.

Doug McDermott makes people feel better about themselves though.

Exactly.  I posted this in the one and done thread:

One of the things that I think people are forgetting is that if HE stays in school, he is limiting his earning potential.

When he decides to enter the draft, he is going to have to spend his first four years on a rookie contract...assuming of course he is drafted in the first round.  The earlier he gets off that first contract is when he can get onto the more lucrative second one. 

So for instance, let's say that HE decides to go pro after one year and he is drafted around #20.  He would earn about $7.2 million over his first four years.  Now let's say he came back and actually improved his stock and is drafted #8.  That get's him $13.6 million.  Sounds like a good deal right?  He made $6 million+ more over the course of his first four years by waiting.

However under the first scenario, HE will be able to cash in a year earlier.  He may very well exceed that $6 million difference in the first year of that new contract.  So when you compare of how much he has earned at a similar age (as opposed to years) he may likely be better off leaving early even if it means he is drafted lower in round one.  You can only play so many years of basketball.  He might as well maximize his earnings during that time.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2015, 12:16:10 PM »

One of the things that I think people are forgetting is that if HE stays in school, he is limiting his earning potential.

It is a proven fact that college graduates earn much more over the course of a working life than high school graduates. If Henry leaves Marquette without that sheepskin he will only be cheating himself.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
It is a proven fact that college graduates earn much more over the course of a working life than high school graduates. If Henry leaves Marquette without that sheepskin he will only be cheating himself.

For most people...yes.  For top level basketball players...no. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2015, 12:34:56 PM »

For most people...yes.  For top level basketball players...no.

Relax. I do not use teal.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »

feedback