'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336987 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/19
« Reply #24175 on: January 17, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »
What is the reasoning that we should have some Wisconsin kids on the roster? Reasons that translate to court success not "because MU is in WI"

To keep MU as a college where Wisconsin kids want to play for. Wisconsin has had some incredible talent recently. No reason to think it won't continue. I'd like to have MU has a top option for the best players in state.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24176 on: January 17, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
What is the reasoning that we should have some Wisconsin kids on the roster? Reasons that translate to court success not "because MU is in WI"

Ask Steve Novak and Travis Deiner, see what they think.  There right in your backyard.  Get the best kids in your state, it helps.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #24177 on: January 17, 2020, 11:25:15 AM »
He has potential, and I disagree with you, yes, you should have some Wisconsin kids on the team.  Right now MU has lots of scholarships to offer. and I have heard he wants to come to MU, always good to get a kid early in next years class. why not.

I asked him and he told me point blank that MU is where he wants to be.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24178 on: January 17, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »
Ask Steve Novak and Travis Deiner, see what they think.  There right in your backyard.  Get the best kids in your state, it helps.

How about just getting the best kids you can?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24179 on: January 17, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »

I am sure they are trying hard to get Stevie Mitchell first, so they are probably waiting to offer Hunter.  With MU's budget the way it is, they can go after many kids, then
they can fall back to other kids, obviously Hunter is a fall back since they have not offered.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24180 on: January 17, 2020, 11:38:05 AM »

Sometimes the best kids they can get are in their own backyard, or WI.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24181 on: January 17, 2020, 11:39:04 AM »
It is very helpful to have a solid presence recruiting in state kids. Always want to be talking to the very top kids in State each year. Some years there are some no brainer easy recruits, other years there are more diamond in the rough types . Either way the relationships with schools and coaches need to be built. Comes in handy when you really want a kid.

Also , I think there is value in evaluating kids in a high school environment where the games matter and where opponent coaches scout and create defensive and offensive schemes.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24182 on: January 17, 2020, 11:42:42 AM »

Who were both great gets. Conversely our great WI recruits: Hauser brothers, Cohen, Ellanson, Duane and Burton collectively gave us 11.5yrs of a potential 24 and didn't help much in getting anybody to stick around unless the belief is that they recruited kids to a school they weren't happy at. Add in Vander and Maymonn (one could count Nick Noskowiak?) and the percentage really shrinks.

Take the best kids, if they happen to be in state then leverage that when the time comes.
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #24183 on: January 17, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »
Truth is often in the middle.

Idealistically for me, recruiting is inside out, local, regional, national, international, all of the above. The mix will vary widely year to year or for periods of time.

If MU won the National title with a roster of International players, would that bother me? Nope. Sane way it wouldn’t bother me if they were all from Milwaukee or anywhere else. Being able to recruit in all of the above categories has value in my opinion.

Local recruits?
1) Are they good enough? Some are and some aren’t.
2) Are they interested in MU? Some want to go away to school or want something different. Some will have serious interest.

The current staff understands this well and have had a good balance and mix of all of the above.

Always be recruiting local, regional, national, international.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:49:09 AM by shoothoops »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24184 on: January 17, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »
It is very helpful to have a solid presence recruiting in state kids. Always want to be talking to the very top kids in State each year. Some years there are some no brainer easy recruits, other years there are more diamond in the rough types . Either way the relationships with schools and coaches need to be built. Comes in handy when you really want a kid.

Also , I think there is value in evaluating kids in a high school environment where the games matter and where opponent coaches scout and create defensive and offensive schemes.

I agree about talking to them and being present to build up relationships etc. and agree about some years it's obvious like The recruits I listed above + guys like Luke or Jamil transferred here, or guys like Dekker, Looney, Herro, Koenig, stone etc who were obvious. What I'm arguing is that MU should prioritize in state guys because they're in state. I do not believe that's the case and think it's recipe for disaster
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24185 on: January 17, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »
Truth is often in the middle.

Idealistically for me, recruiting is inside out, local, regional, national, international, all of the above. The mix will vary widely year to year or for periods of time.

If MU won the National title with a roster of International players, would that bother me? Nope. Sane way it wouldn’t bother me if they were all from Milwaukee or anywhere else. Being able to recruit in all of the above categories has value in my opinion.

Local recruits?
1) Are they good enough? Some are and some aren’t.
2) Are they interested in MU? Some want to go away to school or want something different. Some will have serious interest.

Always be recruiting local, regional, national, international.

This. And my point is if player A is a four star from IL, MI, MN or heck even AZ vs a three star from Racine or Waukesha then you don't say "Hey player B is just good enough and we need some WI guys so prioritize him over player A"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24186 on: January 17, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
Dawson nominated for Mcdonald's All American game

https://twitter.com/PriorLakeHoops1/status/1217994463408201728?s=20

Means absolutely nothing. To be a McD AA nominee you must play basketball and be academically eligible. Some dork that plays 1 min per game for a random team can be nominated. Meaningless.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24187 on: January 17, 2020, 12:33:26 PM »
Recruit kids that have the talent to make the NBA? Sure.  Recruit a kid because he is in Wisconsin?  No.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #24188 on: January 17, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »
The program's success and National profile will be the best magnet for bringing in guys from EVERYWHERE. The availability of minutes is just as powerful of a lure.

Marquettes 2nd place finish in the BEast and 5 seed along with roster openings next year was  enough to land some pretty good recruits.

Markus is helping keep the program in the national spotlight this year. Hopefully Marquette makes the tournament and wins a game or three. That would also help..

Then next years team, including the new guys will have Marquette back in the spotlight again. Especially if Mane decides to commit.

Then rinse and repeat.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24189 on: January 17, 2020, 02:37:19 PM »
Recruit kids that have the talent to make the NBA? Sure.  Recruit a kid because he is in Wisconsin?  No.

You recruit the highest level Wisconsin players which generally do have NBA potential. Not a guy because he's simply playing for a WI school. But there are many very good or great college players that are not NBA potential as well.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #24190 on: January 17, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »
You recruit the highest level Wisconsin players which generally do have NBA potential. Not a guy because he's simply playing for a WI school. But there are many very good or great college players that are not NBA potential as well.

...unless that guy has a superstar brother

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24191 on: January 17, 2020, 02:42:54 PM »
...unless that guy has a superstar brother

Good point.    ;)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #24192 on: January 17, 2020, 02:58:38 PM »
Question for someone that follows WI high school ball closer than I do.  Other than the obvious Blue Chipper (I'd be shocked if Henry, Diamond, Johnson, Herro and Baldwin combine for more than 5 years in college), what has the pool on 4 year players looked like recently.  Haliburton somehow squeezed through the cracks, and would be a major contributor.  Terrance Lewis hasn't looked like anything overly special missed out on, there's a Diener down in DePaul right now, Kostas kinda flamed out, and Nobel Days isn't doing much in the American (although only a Freshman).   It seems like the Duane's, Fischer's, Koenigs, Burton's are fewer the past recruiting cycle.  King seems to be the only one I can think of.  Maybe McCabe, although I don't know how much his 3 ppg on 25% shooting and 15% from 3 is attributing to WVA success. 

Unless you're getting multiple Blue Chippers a year (which we're not), you need the 4 year Travis, Novak, Wes, Luke, Duane's of the state, and there just seems to have been fewer recently, which I think is part of the Detroit trio/Sacar, Theo, Dawson Minnesota "pipeline" being built.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #24193 on: January 17, 2020, 03:15:59 PM »
Did you leave out the Hausers on purpose or have they been purged from your memory?  8-)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #24194 on: January 17, 2020, 03:19:30 PM »
Did you leave out the Hausers on purpose or have they been purged from your memory?  8-)

Well 1; Joey enrolling early implies that he didn't think he'd be a 4 year player (whether or not that actually happens or not...), and 2; Sam has been beaten to death, and I was trying to keep it out of the recruiting thread.  I know King was offered a scholarship, and would be contributing to this team, Haliburton would as well, although he flew under everyone's radar, but I can''t really think of another in-state kid that would crack our rotation that we "missed" on.

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #24195 on: January 17, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
Jordan Poole?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #24196 on: January 17, 2020, 03:37:21 PM »
I would throw Matt Thomas(same  year as Duane and Luke) into the mix but you’re right there haven’t been many at all recently other then Halliburton and King.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #24197 on: January 17, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »
The top 247 2020 recruit from Wisconsin is Johnny Davis. And he’s ranked something like 140 nationally.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #24198 on: January 17, 2020, 04:16:44 PM »
Jordan Poole?

He played his senior year of high school in Indiana. I don't know if that disqualifies him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24199 on: January 17, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.