[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8307368 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/19
« Reply #22825 on: November 15, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »
You are off base with this comment. Very few are rooting for Wojo to fail. There is nothing wrong with questioning things. Fact of the matter is Wojo is in his 6th year as head coach and has 0 NCAA tournament wins. I hope like hell he succeeds because his success is Marquette’s success, but the incessant “I told you so” posts are getting old and tired on both sides.

There is absolutely 0 question whatsoever that there are posters who celebrate when recruits choose somewhere other than Marquette (“another greenie weenie!” “Smart kid for not coming”). Some don’t openly celebrate a bad performance to open a game, but they also don’t hide their pleasure in it. Whether that’s “rooting for Wojo to fail” or not I guess is up for everyone to decide for themselves, but it seems pretty obvious...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22826 on: November 15, 2019, 11:29:12 AM »
There is absolutely 0 question whatsoever that there are posters who celebrate when recruits choose somewhere other than Marquette (“another greenie weenie!” “Smart kid for not coming”). Some don’t openly celebrate a bad performance to open a game, but they also don’t hide their pleasure in it. Whether that’s “rooting for Wojo to fail” or not I guess is up for everyone to decide for themselves, but it seems pretty obvious...

In hairy's defense (not that he needs me to defend him), he said "very few are rooting for Wojo to fail." He didn't say no Scoopers are, and I would agree with him that the number is "very few."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #22827 on: November 15, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »
Per Bossi yesterday (to bring this back to recruiting news):

Commitment date?: 11/20/2019.

In the hunt: Indiana, Marquette, Memphis and Minnesota.

The latest: He's seen all of his finalists officially and is hoping to commit by the last day of the period. Marquette appears to be in pretty good shape, maybe Indiana. He has seen plenty of his home state school, but they haven't been mentioned a lot as a landing spot as we come down the stretch.

Link: https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/early-signing-period-guide-to-the-top-25-available-seniors

Also Mark Miller contributed that: "It is close between the four finalists."
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #22828 on: November 15, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
Much to the chagrin of the few Scoopers who hate Wojo so much they prefer celebrating his failures to our winning games.

You are off base with this comment. Very few are rooting for Wojo to fail.

How is he off-base?  Because he used "few" instead of "very few?"
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #22829 on: November 15, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »

How is he off-base?  Because he used "few" instead of "very few?"
if it is few or very few then why constantly harp about it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22830 on: November 15, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »
Mm-hmm. Every time I want to give them a pass, I look at a game thread or some other incendiary thread and it sure looks like many of them take glee in our struggles.

I think you are 100% right. I was merely countering those who felt Dawson X'd us off his list at halftime.

guru prefers commenting when things are bad. See, he is such a "competitor" that he expects things to go well, so there's no need to bother with Scoop in those situations. I believe that is how he has explained his absence when we win and his big-time presence when we lose.

A "we're (82, Pakuni, Wades, Shooter, etc.) better Marquette fans than them (4ever, Goose, Keefe, guru, etc.)" thread. Yippee!! Haven't had one in days! Hope we have 30 more this season and then the customary 50 or so in the off season. You guys evidently need them to feel better about yourselves.

One final time. Fans are different, not better or worse. Some see nothing but seashells and balloons, others are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

You obsess over guys like 4ever, talk about "giving him (and others) "a pass" He doesn't need your pass. He's OK with how he roots for Marquette. So is Goose. So is guru. So am I.

We don't get angry at what we see as "slurping". It's OK, it's the way that the most orthodox of the faithful see things. Go for it. But I wish we wouldn't be called heretics because we break with that orthodoxy. Why are you so angry or dubious (should I "give him/them a pass"?) about it?

Enough (too much?) from me. Fighting about who is or isn't a good MU fan is as fruitless as arguing politic. Peace.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #22831 on: November 15, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
A "we're (82, Pakuni, Wades, Shooter, etc.) better Marquette fans than them (4ever, Goose, Keefe, guru, etc.)" thread. Yippee!! Haven't had one in days! Hope we have 30 more this season and then the customary 50 or so in the off season. You guys evidently need them to feel better about yourselves.

One final time. Fans are different, not better or worse. Some see nothing but seashells and balloons, others are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

You obsess over guys like 4ever, talk about "giving him (and others) "a pass" He doesn't need your pass. He's OK with how he roots for Marquette. So is Goose. So is guru. So am I.

We don't get angry at what we see as "slurping". It's OK, it's the way that the most orthodox of the faithful see things. Go for it. But I wish we wouldn't be called heretics because we break with that orthodoxy. Why are you so angry or dubious (should I "give him/them a pass"?) about it?

Enough (too much?) from me. Fighting about who is or isn't a good MU fan is as fruitless as arguing politic. Peace.

Maybe all of those names you mentioned should be banned from posting in the recruiting thread so no one has to waste their time reading all these obnoxious off-topic posts.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22832 on: November 15, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
A "we're (82, Pakuni, Wades, Shooter, etc.) better Marquette fans than them (4ever, Goose, Keefe, guru, etc.)" thread.

I've never claimed to be a better fan than anyone else here or told anyone how to be a fan.
That's a clown post, bro.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #22833 on: November 15, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
I've never claimed to be a better fan than anyone else here or told anyone how to be a fan.
That's a clown post, bro.

I’m 16% confident I am a better fan than anyone here on this board.

I’m 31% confident FK Football is somehow related to, or associated with, Chicos.

I’m 49% confident that the phrase “[t]hat’s a clown post, bro,” is like, so totally early 2011.

I’m still 62% confident that Shaka Smart will replace Buzz Williams at Marquette.

I’m 93% confident that my confidence about fandom is irrelevant to Marquette’s recruiting.

I’m 100% confident that Wisconsin sucks.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22834 on: November 15, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »

I’m 31% confident FK Football is somehow related to, or associated with, Chicos.

I’m 49% confident that the phrase “[t]hat’s a clown post, bro,” is like, so totally early 2011.

I’m still 62% confident that Shaka Smart will replace Buzz Williams at Marquette.

I’m 93% confident that my confidence about fandom is irrelevant to Marquette’s recruiting.

Solid post. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22835 on: November 15, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »

Who’s fighting about who’s a good fan? If being excited about losing a recruit makes someone a good fan so be it. But let’s not pretend some people don’t celebrate losing a recruit. They do. I’ll let Lenny, the authority on good fandom, decide what it means as far as how good of a fan they are. But they celebrate losses. It’s cool.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shark

• All American
« Reply #22836 on: November 15, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »
Really cool recruiting news

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #22837 on: November 15, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »

I’m 83% confident that all percentages are made up...except the last one. C’mon Dawson!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #22838 on: November 15, 2019, 01:15:18 PM »
No kidding. Love the sig though! I rewatch it multiple times every time I see it.
No Finish Line

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22839 on: November 15, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
Full. Stop.

The 'gentlemen' can take their critical discussion to the cloakroom. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22840 on: November 15, 2019, 01:21:29 PM »

I know you are joking, but you are 100% wrong.

That guy knows more about IU football than any person on the planet.  I also saw on their website this morning that he attacked Wojo...that alone should tell you it isn’t me as I’m an aledged slurper.

I was tempted to sign up for an account over there to rebut, but not worth the effort.   
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #22841 on: November 15, 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
I certainly did not intend to start this back and forth.  Was simply asking, now that Thursday has come and gone, if real chili 83 had anything to add about his Muguru heart attack comment (i.e. were we expecting some news yesterday that never came?)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22842 on: November 15, 2019, 01:57:59 PM »

That guy knows more about IU football than any person on the planet.  I also saw on their website this morning that he attacked Wojo...that alone should tell you it isn’t me as I’m an aledged slurper.

I was tempted to sign up for an account over there to rebut, but not worth the effort.

Like anyone believes you
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22843 on: November 15, 2019, 02:12:26 PM »

EL OH EL!

How many usernames is this one for you over here?  Must not take THAT much effort, right?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #22844 on: November 15, 2019, 02:26:28 PM »
So when does Dawson make an announcement.  Next Wednesday is the 20th.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #22845 on: November 15, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »
So when does Dawson make an announcement.  Next Wednesday is the 20th.

You answered your own question

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22846 on: November 15, 2019, 03:06:04 PM »
Thanks, Sharky. Like SmallChange, I watch it several times when I see it.

I don't think bitching in a game thread when things are going badly makes one a bad person.
I know that I tend to do it (and have been upbraided about it) but I attribute it to the frustration of the moment. It doesn't reflect on the long-term loving Marquette to death. Some folks seem to be painted with a broad brush when they post anything negative. Sure, there are and have been some trolls, but virtually everyone on Scoop wants MU to succeed.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22847 on: November 15, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »
Thanks, Sharky. Like SmallChange, I watch it several times when I see it.

I don't think bitching in a game thread when things are going badly makes one a bad person.
I know that I tend to do it (and have been upbraided about it) but I attribute it to the frustration of the moment. It doesn't reflect on the long-term loving Marquette to death. Some folks seem to be painted with a broad brush when they post anything negative. Sure, there are and have been some trolls, but virtually everyone on Scoop wants MU to succeed.

I agree with your conclusion, but there are a number of people that have confirmed multiple times that they want Wojo to fail, so that the program can go back to square one with a new coach and have a higher chance of succeeding.  Are they right? I don't know, but until Wojo is no longer the head basketball coach at Marquette, I will be rooting for him.  Not everyone can/will say this.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22848 on: November 15, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »
You all suck!!!!

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #22849 on: November 15, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »

Thank You Sharkey, NickelDimer and mileskishnish72.
Was yelling "GO" at the top of my lungs in a silent Rupp Arena when Vander Caught this inbound pass, Glad he made it! Go Marquette!