[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8339053 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21300 on: October 16, 2019, 07:54:19 AM »
These are the typical UNC talking points. Unfortunately , they are usually very persuasive in making them.

I still believe MU has a chance because of the playing time issue. There have been many kids that have gone to UNC and Duke and ended up being recruited over. Now that Carolina is open to taking grad transfers and transfers it makes it an even tougher decision when you know they already recruited a guy they really like ahead of You ( Caleb Love).
Yeah, they get recruited over, but year in and year out, they keep getting high ranked recruits. We should be in the same boat, with our budget, history, resources, etc. But alas, we are not.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21301 on: October 16, 2019, 07:55:46 AM »
The staff is trying hard. We lose out to UNC then so be it. No shame in that.
Staff trying hard and losing out to UNC are excuses. We need results.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #21302 on: October 16, 2019, 07:57:03 AM »
Man this board is chock full of negative nancies. Kid goes on a scheduled visit to a blue blood, says he had a nice time and that he enjoyed the atmosphere, and now wants to talk it over with his family, and the sky is somehow falling? I think his choices remain clear cut: wear the baby blues at UNC or play at MU. Kids want to play.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21303 on: October 16, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »
Enjoy. Maybe have a couple of beers and toast "another failure" by Wojo. You've earned it!

Nope, beer is made with grains, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21304 on: October 16, 2019, 08:18:05 AM »
Why do people have this innate notion that you have to go to a Blue Blood in order to make the association?  Just this past year, you had Murray State and Vanderbilt players in the top 5, two years ago Alabama, Boston College, Missou, Georgia Tech, Boise State, and Wichita State all had first rounders.  With the level of scouting that the NBA currently has, if you're good enough, you'll make the NBA.  Our pitch is that we will give him enough opportunities to show that he is good enough.  That by no means that it's #donedeal, but the idea that if RJ want to make the Association he has to go to UNC is ridiculous.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21305 on: October 16, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »
Why do people have this innate notion that you have to go to a Blue Blood in order to make the association?  Just this past year, you had Murray State and Vanderbilt players in the top 5, two years ago Alabama, Boston College, Missou, Georgia Tech, Boise State, and Wichita State all had first rounders.  With the level of scouting that the NBA currently has, if you're good enough, you'll make the NBA.  Our pitch is that we will give him enough opportunities to show that he is good enough.  That by no means that it's #donedeal, but the idea that if RJ want to make the Association he has to go to UNC is ridiculous.

Right.  You go to UNC over Marquette because you want to play at the highest levels of college basketball.  But either way he will get a chance to show his stuff.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21306 on: October 16, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »
Yeah, they get recruited over, but year in and year out, they keep getting high ranked recruits. We should be in the same boat, with our budget, history, resources, etc. But alas, we are not.

You are delusional...their history and our history are light years apart. Add in weather, no football, size of school, basketball junkie part of the country, etc, etc.  The comparison is absurd.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21307 on: October 16, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »

He's 5'11" unless someone's really really blowing smoke up his ass he's not making the NBA. You go to UNC because 1) beautiful campus unless you're into urban settings. 2) chance to get your name in the rafters with the likes of Jordan 3) pretty good chance you'll make the final four.

You go to Marquette if you 1) really love winter. 2) really love cities but feel overwhelmed in big ones. 3) want to be the next Wade where a Final four would etch your name in MU lore forever.

I'm sure there's a lot of other reasons but that alone would be a tough pitch to walk away from
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21308 on: October 16, 2019, 08:56:46 AM »

Nope, beer is made with grains, hey?

Do you eat meat, Doc?  What does livestock eat?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21309 on: October 16, 2019, 08:57:47 AM »
He's 5'11" unless someone's really really blowing smoke up his ass he's not making the NBA.

He's a borderline top 50 recruit (which still may be low considering the way he's blown up over the last 18 months).  Certainly not one-and-done territory, but I guarantee he's got an eye on the NBA, and it's not just folks in his camp blowing smoke.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21310 on: October 16, 2019, 08:58:08 AM »
He's 5'11" unless someone's really really blowing smoke up his ass he's not making the NBA. You go to UNC because 1) beautiful campus unless you're into urban settings. 2) chance to get your name in the rafters with the likes of Jordan 3) pretty good chance you'll make the final four.

You go to Marquette if you 1) really love winter. 2) really love cities but feel overwhelmed in big ones. 3) want to be the next Wade where a Final four would etch your name in MU lore forever.

I'm sure there's a lot of other reasons but that alone would be a tough pitch to walk away from

There are plenty of players 5'11" and shorter that make the NBA.  And regardless of whether it's a statistical improbability, if you're a top 100 recruit chances are you believe you can get to the NBA when you're 17 years old and looking towards your future, realistic or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21311 on: October 16, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »
I have no idea if Davis is coming or not, but Big Daddy implied that some good news is on the horizon. If we end up losing him, there is no silver lining and I hope we do not see dozens of posts of excuses on why we lost him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21312 on: October 16, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »
There are plenty of players 5'11" and shorter that make the NBA.  And regardless of whether it's a statistical improbability, if you're a top 100 recruit chances are you believe you can get to the NBA when you're 17 years old and looking towards your future, realistic or not.

Agreed. And whether or not UNC is a "better route" to the NBA than Marquette is, perception is everything. Whether we like it or not, and whether we agree or not, it would be hard to blame the average teenager (or his parents) for thinking that UNC offers the more likely route.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21313 on: October 16, 2019, 09:02:52 AM »
I have no idea if Davis is coming or not, but Big Daddy implied that some good news is on the horizon. If we end up losing him, there is no silver lining and I hope we do not see dozens of posts of excuses on why we lost him.

Other than the two top 100 forwards already in the fold, the 4 guards already on the roster who will be around next year, including a top 100 PG and a senior.    MU needs to keep recruting, obviously.     And getting Davis would be better than not getting Davis.    Just like getting Garcia or Mane is better than not getting them.    Excuses?    How about... Roy did the hard sell on him and it worked.     That would not be an excuse, that would be a fact.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21314 on: October 16, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »

There's exactly 4 players below 6 feet in the nba right now. What's your definition of plenty?

I will give you the second portion of your statement though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GOO

• All American
« Reply #21315 on: October 16, 2019, 09:04:02 AM »
Was this Big Daddy's post from prior to the UNC visit, or was there a more recent post that I missed?   If before the UNC visit, it is a point in time that might mean less to me than if it was after his UNC visit.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21316 on: October 16, 2019, 09:13:06 AM »
Excuses?    How about... Roy did the hard sell on him and it worked.     That would not be an excuse, that would be a fact.   

Actually, it would be both an excuse and a fact. They're not mutually exclusive.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21317 on: October 16, 2019, 09:15:35 AM »
There's exactly 4 players below 6 feet in the nba right now. What's your definition of plenty?

I will give you the second portion of your statement though.

I'll believe that when the regular season starts and teams actually have to list the real heights of players.  There's no way whatsoever that a guy like JJ Barrea is 6' like he's listed.

Steve Nash was listed at 6'3".  I have a picture with Steve Nash and am at the absolute max an inch and a half shorter than him.  I'm certainly not 6'1.5".
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:17:06 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #21318 on: October 16, 2019, 09:16:54 AM »
Was this Big Daddy's post from prior to the UNC visit, or was there a more recent post that I missed?   If before the UNC visit, it is a point in time that might mean less to me than if it was after his UNC visit.

It was before. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21319 on: October 16, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
I guess we will just have to wait for Stan’s tweet on the subject for clarification.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21320 on: October 16, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »
Do you eat meat, Doc?  What does livestock eat?

Only at a meat summit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21321 on: October 16, 2019, 09:20:51 AM »
Actually, it would be both an excuse and a fact. They're not mutually exclusive.

It's actually more of a reason than an excuse.  Excuse implies someone (Wojo and every other coach who lost out) would be at fault for his choice to go elsewhere. 

But that's just semantics.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21322 on: October 16, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »

It's actually more of a reason than an excuse.  Excuse implies someone (Wojo and every other coach who lost out) would be at fault for his choice to go elsewhere. 

But that's just semantics.

Their fault was not doin enough bag droppin, hey?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21323 on: October 16, 2019, 09:28:34 AM »
So it's obvious Wojo is focusing on 4...Davis, Garcia, Brown-Ferguson(likely reclassify to 2020), and Mane. Now, I don't think it will happen, but we need to understand it COULD happen that he gets none of them. So then what?? I know many of you will see that as no big deal, but wouldn't questions have to then be asked?? You started the class tremendously well, but in recruiting the most important thing you have to do is finish..what if he doesn't?? Don't we then have a right to be concerned??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21324 on: October 16, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
So it's obvious Wojo is focusing on 4...Davis, Garcia, Brown-Ferguson(likely reclassify to 2020), and Mane. Now, I don't think it will happen, but we need to understand it COULD happen that he gets none of them. So then what?? I know many of you will see that as no big deal, but wouldn't questions have to then be asked?? You started the class tremendously well, but in recruiting the most important thing you have to do is finish..what if he doesn't?? Don't we then have a right to be concerned??

Heads must roll, guru.
Heads must roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.