'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337793 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/19
« Reply #19075 on: July 20, 2019, 08:07:27 PM »
I have stated it before, I like Lewis, and would love to have him...but I would also like him to NOT be the headliner recruit. He's a fine player make no mistake about it, I'd just prefer they land a Suggs, or a Dawson or Burnett as the headliner in addition to Lewis.
Who said he is the "headliner" recruit? Ranking wise, maybe he will be, maybe he wont. Wojo is going after many highly ranked players so who knows when and if certain players commit. Maybe Lewis becomes an NBA player for all we know. You just find some way to complain or be pessimistic about literally anything that happens with this program. top 75 4 star is a hell of a get for pretty much any program. like others have said you really should just pick a random blue blood to be a super fan of. Go with UK. 5 stars every year. Huge fan base. Prime TV slots. Consistent tourney success. Might just be palatable enough for someone with your standards.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19076 on: July 20, 2019, 08:27:32 PM »
The problem however is if they don't develop into what the Coaches and others think they can/will be. That happens far too often. Not just at MU. If you have 4 guys like Lewis for example, that have a TON of potential but none of them reach it, then you have a bust of a class. That's why you don't want a guy like him to be the "headliner" of your class. Ideally you want to get a couple of better players(high(er) ranked kids) as your headliners that way if you do have a couple of kids that are more "potential" recruits than impact guys, and they fail to reach that potential, the impact of that is in theory lessoned by the two higher ranked, impact guys. It's playing with fire IMO.
I completely agree with your overall assessment. However, the reality is until MU can become a top 15 level team on a consistent basis, these four star type of recruits are what we have to build the team around.

The end of the year collapse hurt our recruiting momentum with the most elite players .  Losing the Hauser's partially offsets that in that we have significant playing time to offer. A kid like Suggs , who is clearly very bright, understands the playing time issue and that is why we are still in the game with him. Unfortunately , two hidden gem type guys MU was  in relatively early on, Jalen Bridges and RJ Davis have completely blown up and are not realistically signable any more. I have been following Davis locally for a long time and he is the real deal. 

Our staff is beating the bushes hard for prospects and we are looking at quite a few kids such as , Osasere Ighodaro ,who if properly trained can have high ceilings .   

As far as Lewis goes, look at the conferences that are offering him. ACC , Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, Better teams in the AAC.  That says a lot about the conviction the coaching community has for his talent.  If we got 4 Justin Lewis talent players it is going to be a very good year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19077 on: July 20, 2019, 10:05:50 PM »
Herman, no reason MU can not get Davis.  He can be a star here, not at those blue blood schools.  Plus he can see how Howard played here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19078 on: July 21, 2019, 01:09:10 AM »
I would like Marquette to get all the best players. I would like other schools to get none of those great players.

There. I said it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19079 on: July 21, 2019, 08:26:03 AM »
Myles Stute announcing his top 7 later today.

Moved from the Twin Cities a few years ago.. was running with my high school’s team as an 8th grader.

“DC” kid, but strong MN roots.

https://twitter.com/jbbauer612/status/1152790266530738177?s=21

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19080 on: July 21, 2019, 09:13:52 AM »
Myles Stute announcing his top 7 later today.

Moved from the Twin Cities a few years ago.. was running with my high school’s team as an 8th grader.

“DC” kid, but strong MN roots.

https://twitter.com/jbbauer612/status/1152790266530738177?s=21

In an interview a few days ago Stute mentioned:

Florida, Texas A&M, Clemson, and Pitt were listed as the places he wants to visit.

He also mentioned Virginia Tech, Georgetown, Iowa, Iowa St. as the places he is also interested in right now.

His offers before Peach Jam included St. John’s, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Boston College, in addition to most of the above schools. Marquette offered just after Peach Jam. We’ll see if Marquette is in the final 7 mix.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19081 on: July 21, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
Nimari Burnett cutting his list to 12 tomorrow

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1151114467922579458?s=20
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MuMark

• All American
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 02:17:26 PM by MuMark »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19083 on: July 21, 2019, 02:17:45 PM »
In an interview a few days ago Stute mentioned:

Florida, Texas A&M, Clemson, and Pitt were listed as the places he wants to visit.

He also mentioned Virginia Tech, Georgetown, Iowa, Iowa St. as the places he is also interested in right now.

His offers before Peach Jam included St. John’s, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Boston College, in addition to most of the above schools. Marquette offered just after Peach Jam. We’ll see if Marquette is in the final 7 mix.

Oh ye of little faith.

I withhold much info from this board.

Sometimes, minutes after your unwarranted 7-day ban expires, you have to prove a point.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #19084 on: July 21, 2019, 02:21:53 PM »
Oh ye of little faith.

Sometimes, minutes after your unwarranted 7-day ban expires, you have to prove a point.
With a little faith there it is.

Final-seven for four-star rising senior Myles Stute: Pittsburgh, Florida, Vanderbilt, Clemson, Marquette, Virginia Tech, and Texas A&M.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19085 on: July 21, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »
With a little faith there it is.

Final-seven for four-star rising senior Myles Stute: Pittsburgh, Florida, Vanderbilt, Clemson, Marquette, Virginia Tech, and Texas A&M.

Time to get excited boys and girls!

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19086 on: July 21, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »
Oh ye of little faith.

Huh? No idea what you are talking about. All I did was reference an article a couple of days ago and what it said. I never gave my opinion.

Here’s the article:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/bbmen-recruiting/2019/07/17/iowa-state-iowa-mix-washington-dc-wing-myles-stute-pitt-florida-virginia-tech-steve-prohm/1751642001/

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19087 on: July 21, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »
Huh? No idea what you are talking about. All I did was reference an article a couple of days ago and what it said. I never gave my opinion.

Here’s the article:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/bbmen-recruiting/2019/07/17/iowa-state-iowa-mix-washington-dc-wing-myles-stute-pitt-florida-virginia-tech-steve-prohm/1751642001/

No biggie, post wasn’t really directed to you.

I don’t fault you for not understanding my post — cryptic, indeed, if you don’t know me.

Then again, your reply did infer a bit of doubt
Nonetheless,

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19088 on: July 21, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »
Oh ye of little faith.

Why'd you get banned?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19089 on: July 21, 2019, 03:49:39 PM »
Why'd you get banned?

I said that it was ironic that a guy (MU82) who has been unemployed for many years started a post about MU’s high employment rate.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #19090 on: July 21, 2019, 03:51:28 PM »
JB
That aint crap!!  Get us a commitment and then i will be impressed!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #19091 on: July 21, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »
I said that it was ironic that a guy (MU82) who has been unemployed for many years started a post about MU’s high employment rate.

You are dimwitted, and (knowing this) to make yourself feel better, you come on the internet and tell others how dumb they are.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19092 on: July 21, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »
You are dimwitted, and (knowing this) to make yourself feel better, you come on the internet and tell others how dumb they are.

Look at your post history. Then, STFU.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19093 on: July 21, 2019, 04:24:29 PM »
JB
That aint crap!!  Get us a commitment and then i will be impressed!

;)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19094 on: July 21, 2019, 05:00:25 PM »
Ham, there's no reason to attack JB.  He simply answered a question about his little dust up with 82.  Let's move along here.

Any more updates worth noting?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:02:41 PM by jsglow »

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #19095 on: July 21, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
Time to get excited boys and girls!

Is this some sort of smart ass comment? 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:24:58 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19096 on: July 21, 2019, 05:42:53 PM »
Is this some sort of smart ass comment?

Of course. guru will complain if we land Stute because he isn't ranked highly enough, but he'll also say we need more guys like Ja Morant and Jarrett Culver who are unranked and become lottery picks. It's that perfect conundrum that ends up with the recruiting class being disappointing no matter what happens.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19097 on: July 21, 2019, 06:35:09 PM »
Of course. guru will complain if we land Stute because he isn't ranked highly enough, but he'll also say we need more guys like Ja Morant and Jarrett Culver who are unranked and become lottery picks. It's that perfect conundrum that ends up with the recruiting class being disappointing no matter what happens.

Nice try...but to be honest, some people and yes I will name names...like Ted, markedman(he might be the worst offender) and MANY others will NEVER say a critical word about anyone MU is recruiting. Sure, none of us know how they will turn out until they have played, but that doesn't mean it's not okay to be a bit critical sometimes of who the staff is recruiting, is it?? I see it all the time, people get excited about every recruit they land saying "good get", Congrats to the staff etc. Sometimes, if a guy is a reach or you feel he is, what's wrong with saying that?? if you are wrong, GREAT, then he was much better than anyone anticipated. That's a win-win for everyone, right??

People hand out praise like candy when it comes to MU's recruiting almost all the time...sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. Ted is another that likes pretty much everyone MU is recruiting it seems(sorry Ted but that seems to be true). Admittedly I'm edgy because they haven't gotten a commit yet...but it's almost like people don't realize just how absolutely vital this class is to the future of the program AND probably to Wojo's future..that should make some people nervous I would think. Believe it or not, I want this to be a stellar class so the program takes the next step AND so Wojo keeps his job.

This class is so vital IMO that if MU takes 4 guys, they can only afford to miss on MAYBE 1 of the 4, and the other 3 need to be productive starters(or better).  That's my opinion Wojo needs to be REALLY careful is all I'm saying.

As for you Brew, have you been satisified with every class Wojo has landed thus far??
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:45:19 PM by muguru »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #19098 on: July 21, 2019, 06:36:56 PM »
Nice try...but to be honest, some people and yes I will name names...like Ted, markedman(he might be the worst offender) and MANY others will NEVER say a critical word about anyone MU is recruiting. Sure, none of us know how they will turn out until they have played, but that doesn't mean it's not okay to be a bit critical sometimes of who the staff is recruiting, is it?? I see it all the time, people get excited about every recruit they land saying "good get", Congrats to the staff etc. Sometimes, if a guy is a reach or you feel he is, what's wrong with saying that?? if you are wrong, GREAT, then he was much better than anyone anticipated. That's a win-win for everyone, right??

People hand out praise like candy when it comes to MU's recruiting almost all the time...sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. Ted is another that likes pretty much everyone MU is recruiting it seems(sorry Ted but that seems to be true). Admittedly I'm edgy because they haven't gotten a commit yet...but it's almost like people don't realize just how absolutely vital this class is to the future of the program AND probably to Wojo's future..that should make some people nervous I would think. Believe it or not, I want this to be a stellar class so the program takes the next step AND so Wojo keeps his job.

As for you Brew, have you been satisified with every class Wojo has landed thus far??

Jesus
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19099 on: July 21, 2019, 06:55:52 PM »
Unbelievable. Pissed that we haven’t gotten a recruit yet......but I don’t want that one!

feedback