[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338272 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/17
« Reply #9875 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
Scuttlebutt says this week, likely Friday....possibly when QG is on campus. Gives them an opportunity to damage control and try to spin it into a positive.

https://twitter.com/d_dotson1/status/917538343990300672

Devon Dotson ⚡️‏
@d_dotson1
Follow
More
Big Week ahead ⌛️
6:52 PM - 9 Oct 2017

Down to Maryland and Kansas. Smart money is on Kansas.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9876 on: October 09, 2017, 08:24:04 PM »
Walk on.   I think there was a post about him.     Somebody has to play guard.

Yah different guy than the Jafee dude they announced yesterday. He’s a year out.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9877 on: October 10, 2017, 08:07:06 AM »
Jahvon Quinerly is deciding tonight between Arizona and Villanova. This could be significant because if he goes to Arizona that might put us in better position with Grimes. Guinerly is a PG ranked in the top 20, a few spaces ahead of Grimes (in fact he's the #4 PG and Grimes is #5). If he becomes a Wildcat that would give them two top 40 PGs in their 2018 class with one in the top 20. Certainly doesn't take them out of the running by any stretch, but its another factor for Grimes to consider.

and Quinerly has now hired a lawyer and is possibly "Player-5" who took $15K for his commitment
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/5-star-arizona-recruit-hires-lawyer-amid-fbi-investigation-into-basketball-program/?ref=yfp

And while the top-flight recruit wasn't explicitly named in the FBI's report two weeks ago, the document's details about "Player-5" and his commitment to Arizona in early-August are consistent with Quinerly's recruitment timeline and commitment to the program he made on Aug. 9.

So what does all this mean for his Arizona commitment?

Quinerly had no comment on whether he accepted money as alleged -- the documents indicated a $15,000 bribe was arranged by Richardson to secure Quinerly's commitment. And he also had no comment about his commitment status with the Wildcats. Although right now, it remains to be seen whether he sticks with Arizona amid the FBI's digging.
"For now, I'm committed," Quinerly told ESPN, adding that he has spoken with coach Sean Miller in the aftermath of the scandal and its discovery.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #9878 on: October 10, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »
and Quinerly has now hired a lawyer and is possibly "Player-5" who took $15K for his commitment
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/5-star-arizona-recruit-hires-lawyer-amid-fbi-investigation-into-basketball-program/?ref=yfp

And while the top-flight recruit wasn't explicitly named in the FBI's report two weeks ago, the document's details about "Player-5" and his commitment to Arizona in early-August are consistent with Quinerly's recruitment timeline and commitment to the program he made on Aug. 9.

So what does all this mean for his Arizona commitment?

Quinerly had no comment on whether he accepted money as alleged -- the documents indicated a $15,000 bribe was arranged by Richardson to secure Quinerly's commitment. And he also had no comment about his commitment status with the Wildcats. Although right now, it remains to be seen whether he sticks with Arizona amid the FBI's digging.
"For now, I'm committed," Quinerly told ESPN, adding that he has spoken with coach Sean Miller in the aftermath of the scandal and its discovery.

Interesting.  If he took money, he must feel pretty stupid being bought for 15k when others were getting six figures.  But I hope they don't bring the hammer down on these kids, especially if it was uncles and AAU coaches arranging the deals.   
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9879 on: October 10, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
Interesting.  If he took money, he must feel pretty stupid being bought for 15k when others were getting six figures.  But I hope they don't bring the hammer down on these kids, especially if it was uncles and AAU coaches arranging the deals.
You are not going to effectively stop this, if you do not punish the recruits that took money. The coaches and the players need to lose on this.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9880 on: October 10, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »

Maybe he hired a lawyer to get more money? 8-)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9881 on: October 10, 2017, 11:20:02 AM »
You are not going to effectively stop this, if you do not punish the recruits that took money. The coaches and the players need to lose on this.

Make them NCAA ineligible, fine, but don't bring the legal hammer down

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #9882 on: October 10, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »

If Sean Miller were to lose his job over this, I'm pretty sure the NCAA could effectively stop this problem without throwing the book at an 18 year-old inner-city kid. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9883 on: October 10, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
If Sean Miller were to lose his job over this, I'm pretty sure the NCAA could effectively stop this problem without throwing the book at an 18 year-old inner-city kid.

Exactly. Lots of villains here - and they're not the 18 year olds.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9884 on: October 10, 2017, 11:39:43 AM »
Not sure its reasonable to expect high school students, many of whom grew up without money, to turn down thousands of dollars that could provide a better life for them and their family. I would much prefer going after the Pitinos of the world than the Bowens of the world.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9885 on: October 10, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »
Not sure its reasonable to expect high school students, many of whom grew up without money, to turn down thousands of dollars that could provide a better life for them and their family. I would much prefer going after the Pitinos of the world than the Bowens of the world.

Out of curiosity would you fee different if one of them took a bribe in the business world? Perhaps during an internship or something?
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9886 on: October 10, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »

You are probably right, but I don't see how or why they should allow eligibility to a kid who knowingly accepted money violating NCAA rules.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #9887 on: October 10, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »
If they just got rid of the amateurism bs and allowed for players to be paid by the universities, then everything would be fixed.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #9888 on: October 10, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
You are probably right, but I don't see how or why they should allow eligibility to a kid who knowingly accepted money violating NCAA rules.

I wouldn't have a problem with there being consequences for these young men.  I think a year long suspension might possibly be justified, depending on the facts of the case.  What I would have a problem with would be the NCAA banning these kids for life for taking some cash to help their struggling families, while simultaneously allowing the head coaches who are paid millions of dollars annually, and are supposed oversee recruiting, to walk. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9889 on: October 10, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
Out of curiosity would you fee different if one of them took a bribe in the business world? Perhaps during an internship or something?

A bribe for what, exactly?  To work for the employer?  Sounds like a paid internship to me. 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #9890 on: October 10, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
If they just got rid of the amateurism bs and allowed for players to be paid by the universities, then everything would be fixed.

Can you explain where the money comes from and how you would pay some athletic program athletes at a school and not others?

It's really easy to say pay student-athletes, but then comes those damn details.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9891 on: October 10, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
A bribe for what, exactly?  To work for the employer?  Sounds like a paid internship to me.

Idk to process some type of paperwork without pointing out an error? To look the other way when they notice something? Even if the example is better suited for an 18yr old in a paid position accepting a bribe I’m fairly confident everybody would say throw the book at him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9892 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »

This would likely hurt the majority of athletes, as many colleges would shut down a lot of their D-1 sports programs.  Not Alabama, mind you, but a lot of the lower echelon schools would go to lower levels with partial scholarships.  While it would be good for the top players, there would end up being a lot less scholarships available.

I think people continually miss the point by concentrating on the very top athletes.  What colleges owe these kids is a real education, not money that will evaporate in a year.  To me, the issue is that due to the time and travel requirements (and often the athlete's unpreparedness to do real college work), many athletes are not given a chance at a real education.  The UNCs of the world who purposely avoid educating their kids with phony, useless, easy classes or majors are far worse than those that give top kids some money.  A kid who finishes his eligibility from a university with a useless degree or no degree is the real crime, particularly when that student is not good enough to play professionally.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #9893 on: October 10, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
Idk to process some type of paperwork without pointing out an error? To look the other way when they notice something? Even if the example is better suited for an 18yr old in a paid position accepting a bribe I’m fairly confident everybody would say throw the book at him.

If Bernie Madoff paid off the first-year accountant to look the other way, you only go after the accountant in order to flip him to bring down Madoff.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9894 on: October 10, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
If Bernie Madoff paid off the first-year accountant to look the other way, you only go after the accountant in order to flip him to bring down Madoff.

Which is fine so go after Bowen to find the truth of who knows what. If Quickley would testify that Miller knew something then go for it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9895 on: October 10, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »

What if they gave those paid internships to men only, and not the women? 

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #9896 on: October 10, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
Enough is enough, if the kids took the money they need to lose their eligibility. Its time to clean this up (or try to). If you make an example of someone others will take notice

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9897 on: October 10, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
What if they gave those paid internships to men only, and not the women?

Uhh...thats a slightly different question.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9898 on: October 10, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »
Why does everyone assume all black athletes come from poor families? Not all black people are poor , many of us work hard and do things the right way. The media just shines the light on the bad actors and ignores the rest of us who are diligent.

Bowen and his family knew the score from day one and they were out for themselves. They could have cared less about the University they were attending. It was all a means to an end. It was so evident from the various  TV interviews he had.  So yes ,I think Pitino should go down, I also think the kid should pay a penalty too. Every kid today knows it is against the NCAA rules to take bribes. They drill it into these kids at an early age at clinics etc.

I don't know what the right penalty for the kid should be. Possibly ban from NCAA for 2 years but allow them to go to Juco. It is a privilege to play D1 sports and kids and their familes  should understand that.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9899 on: October 10, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
Why does everyone assume all black athletes come from poor families?

I don't think anyone here does.
TAMU

feedback