[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336620 times)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/17
« Reply #9300 on: September 12, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »

This is really funny!! The MU private jet doing a layover in Chicago

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9301 on: September 12, 2017, 01:54:03 PM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9302 on: September 12, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »
I honestly wasn't thinking about the private jet. Probably unlikely that they would need to stop for fuel between Indiana and Texas. But we also don't know that Stan is on the jet. If Wojo needs to go one place and Stan needs to go to another my guess is that Wojo gets the jet. Do they fly commercial if that ends up happening?

If it wasn't a layover I wonder who they were in to see. Don't remember seeing anything about us going after any Chicago recruits.

Pretty sure I've seen people here that have bumped into coaches on a commercial flight.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9303 on: September 12, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »

Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9304 on: September 12, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »
My gut feeling is that Grimes wants to be the star of his team. That is less likely to happen at Kansas and Kentucky. This comes from a post, maybe in this thread, a few weeks ago ago, about Grimes saying MU will be his team to run or something to that effect. Some poster's were questioning him being the star of the team. I thinking that this is what Wojo is selling him on and I think this gives MU a great chance to get Grimes.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #9305 on: September 12, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »
My gut feeling is that Grimes wants to be the star of his team. That is less likely to happen at Kansas and Kentucky. This comes from a post, maybe in this thread, a few weeks ago ago, about Grimes saying MU will be his team to run or something to that effect. Some poster's were questioning him being the star of the team. I thinking that this is what Wojo is selling him on and I think this gives MU a great chance to get Grimes.

Yep. When it comes down to it, what does Marquette have to offer a player of his caliber vs. the best programs in the sport? The keys to the program from day 1. No doubt this is the number 1 point hammered home by Wojo.

And yes, Grimes has enough quality to be handed the keys from day one.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9306 on: September 12, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
i find it interesting that the pitch is handing the keys to Grimmes. I believe he's talented enough to be the star but we did that for ellenson and was that necessarily the best idea? It's been hotly debated on here. Joey and Bailey  are/were both top 100. Marcus and Sam will be upper classmen who were both top 100, Cain will have a year under his belt and he was top 100 plus Morrow will be eligible and he was top 100. It seems strange that we're offering him the star role from day one with that much talented experience potentially around him.

Edit: forgot about Haanif being a former top 100 guy to
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:18:22 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9307 on: September 12, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
I think they are pitching to Grimes that he is the final piece of a puzzle.  Not that he would be the star a la Ellenson. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9308 on: September 12, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Right on!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9309 on: September 12, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »
I think they are pitching to Grimes that he is the final piece of a puzzle.  Not that he would be the star a la Ellenson.

This. Final piece to a final four caliber puzzle
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9310 on: September 12, 2017, 03:50:51 PM »

In terms of the "being the star" concept, he would likely run the point or split those duties with Markus. There should certainly be other star calibur guys on that team, but based on roster makeup, I'd fully expect Grimes to grab significant minutes and "star" opportunities from day one.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #9311 on: September 12, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »
i find it interesting that the pitch is handing the keys to Grimmes. I believe he's talented enough to be the star but we did that for ellenson and was that necessarily the best idea? It's been hotly debated on here. Joey and Bailey  are/were both top 100. Marcus and Sam will be upper classmen who were both top 100, Cain will have a year under his belt and he was top 100 plus Morrow will be eligible and he was top 100. It seems strange that we're offering him the star role from day one with that much talented experience potentially around him.

I think the difference between Grimes' and Henry's situation is that Henry's supporting cast was pretty not good. I think certainly it would be easier to hand the keys to a five star PG with a bunch of 100 recruits to back him up.

I also think "final piece of the puzzle" and "keys to the program" to a five star recruit are pretty similar. Grimes himself has played against Joey, he definitely knows that he wouldn't be walking into a mid-major talent level program. But he also knows that he wouldn't be drowned out by other five star talents like the blue bloods, and would be given a true chance to shine.

So essentially the difference in his mind is: I go to a blue blood and likely make the final four as a supporting cast member; or I head to a team that is building a great program, albeit without very top tier recruits, and star on a team that has the potential to make the final four in large part because of me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:58:41 PM by Tha Hound »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9312 on: September 12, 2017, 04:08:18 PM »
Big Daddy, it sounds like there have been quite a few stops made by our coaching staff.  Any updates on how any of them have gone?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9313 on: September 12, 2017, 04:17:33 PM »
This final piece concept I like better and makes me a lot more comfortable than the we'll let you showcase yourself pitch
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9314 on: September 12, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »
In terms of the "being the star" concept, he would likely run the point or split those duties with Markus. There should certainly be other star calibur guys on that team, but based on roster makeup, I'd fully expect Grimes to grab significant minutes and "star" opportunities from day one.

Whether this is right or not I keep thinking of him as our potential Jalen Brunson. 5 star guard on fringe of being a one and done level player, who comes in as the 5th starter to an already deep and balanced squad. Is the 5th starter his first year, one of the two stars his second, and the man by his third.....all for final four caliber teams.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9315 on: September 12, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »

Edit: forgot about Haanif being a former top 100 guy to
I would add to the above,  that Haanif is presently the only player on our team on a mock draft board at number 59 in second round 2019.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

So your point is a very good one.

That said , the chatter between coaches and recruits usually goes along these lines.  Grimes is a quality player and we are using any tool we have to entice him on to our team. Once he is here , water will seek its proper level so to speak.

Also of the schools that remain in Quentin's mix, we are the only medium sized private school that can make the pitch that we care about the kids welfare.  This is a big selling point to parents.

Obviously the finalists all have good salesman as coaches, but I have confidence in our coaching staff ability to compete.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9316 on: September 12, 2017, 05:32:43 PM »
I honestly wasn't thinking about the private jet. Probably unlikely that they would need to stop for fuel between Indiana and Texas. But we also don't know that Stan is on the jet. If Wojo needs to go one place and Stan needs to go to another my guess is that Wojo gets the jet. Do they fly commercial if that ends up happening?

If it wasn't a layover I wonder who they were in to see. Don't remember seeing anything about us going after any Chicago recruits.

They saw Liddell in Chicago. https://twitter.com/eliddell68/status/907430810969677824
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:34:55 PM by MuMark »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9317 on: September 12, 2017, 05:56:27 PM »
EJ Liddell is a St. Louis area recruit, from Belleville West High School. His cousin, Tommie Liddell III is a former Saint Louis University standout, from nearby East St. Louis.  Liddell plays AAU ball with Brad Beal Elite, formerly named St. Louis Eagles. Last week former Marquette U Stl area target Torrence Watson (Whitfield High School, Ramey Jets United AAU) de-committed from Ohio St. and changed to Mizzou to be closer to home.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9318 on: September 12, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
I would add to the above,  that Haanif is presently the only player on our team on a mock draft board at number 59 in second round 2019.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

So your point is a very good one.

That said , the chatter between coaches and recruits usually goes along these lines.  Grimes is a quality player and we are using any tool we have to entice him on to our team. Once he is here , water will seek its proper level so to speak.

Also of the schools that remain in Quentin's mix, we are the only medium sized private school that can make the pitch that we care about the kids welfare.  This is a big selling point to parents.

Obviously the finalists all have good salesman as coaches, but I have confidence in our coaching staff ability to compete.

I have never heard of a kid that went to Kentucky who said that the University didn't care about his welfare.  In fact, players who unexpectedly didn't go one and done (eg, Alex Poythress) have graduated and have had positive things to say about Calipari.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #9319 on: September 12, 2017, 08:16:37 PM »

I have never heard of a kid that went to Kentucky who said that the University didn't care about his welfare.  In fact, players who unexpectedly didn't go one and done (eg, Alex Poythress) have graduated and have had positive things to say about Calipari.

Not many 4 year players at Kentucky my friend, you found the needle in the haystack my friend

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9320 on: September 12, 2017, 08:19:32 PM »
Pretty sure I've seen people here that have bumped into coaches on a commercial flight.
2 yrs ago I sat next to Lon Krueger on a Southwest flight from Chicago to Atlanta in the summer.  He was headed from one AAU event to another.  I asked how his team looked going into the next season.  He said they'd be alright.  Little did I know he'd have the Sooners in the Final 4 in less than 10 months. 
He also said we'd be extremely happy with Wojo, that he was a tireless worker.  I thanked him for knocking the Badgers out of the tourney when he was at UNLV.  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9321 on: September 12, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »

Not many 4 year players at Kentucky my friend, you found the needle in the haystack my friend

Have you heard any Kentucky player complain that the University didn't care about their welfare?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9322 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:58 AM »
They saw Liddell in Chicago. https://twitter.com/eliddell68/status/907430810969677824

If Liddell was in Chicago than he was a long way from home.....or Stan (like many) thinks "Chicago" and "Illinois" are interchangeable.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9323 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:14 AM »
Whether this is right or not I keep thinking of him as our potential Jalen Brunson. 5 star guard on fringe of being a one and done level player, who comes in as the 5th starter to an already deep and balanced squad. Is the 5th starter his first year, one of the two stars his second, and the man by his third.....all for final four caliber teams.

I think that is an absolutely spot on comparison.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9324 on: September 13, 2017, 06:36:40 AM »
I think Quentin would be at the absolute worst our 3rd best player from day 1.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter