Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8462050 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/17
« Reply #7325 on: April 24, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »
Sure, fine.  Still currently have space for 2/3, in addition to Bailey. Chances that every scholarship player returns in 18-19 is not high.  That just is what it is in today's game.
Obviously, that could happen.  I was just making a clarification.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7326 on: April 24, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »
Has Grimes given any sort of timeframe for a decision?  Or discussed any visits he will make?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7327 on: April 24, 2017, 03:55:10 PM »
Has Grimes given any sort of timeframe for a decision?  Or discussed any visits he will make?

I thought I read somewhere this weekend that he would decide this summer after AAU season. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #7328 on: April 24, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »
Since they only have two juniors next year, I expect them to stay.  You have 4 sophomores, 1 is a transfer the other a red-shirt, and 2 of your best players, do not
see them leaving and then 4 frosh.  Already have 1 transfering, that is hard to believe right now.   I would think there would be an issue with Bailey then.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7329 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
Since they only have two juniors next year, I expect them to stay.  You have 4 sophomores, 1 is a transfer the other a red-shirt, and 2 of your best players, do not
see them leaving and then 4 frosh.  Already have 1 transfering, that is hard to believe right now.   I would think there would be an issue with Bailey then.

Not sure I follow this post 100%, but there isn't a problem with Bailey.

Stan literally just tweeted at him last week telling him HBD and that he can't wait until hes on campus in a year. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7330 on: April 24, 2017, 04:02:24 PM »
Sure, fine.  Still currently have space for 2/3, in addition to Bailey. Chances that every scholarship player returns in 18-19 is not high.  That just is what it is in today's game.

I agree it's not likely but given the situation I'd be curious who'd be ousted
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7331 on: April 24, 2017, 04:10:44 PM »

Probably whoever is the last guy on the bench this year.  A full season for it to sort itself out. 

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #7332 on: April 24, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »
Not sure I follow this post 100%, but there isn't a problem with Bailey.

Stan literally just tweeted at him last week telling him HBD and that he can't wait until hes on campus in a year.

Basically you have 11 kids right now, Rowsey leaves, that is 10,  Bailey already signed.  That leaves 2 spots, after 3 to 6 more players.  Can only sign 14 tops, then
1 has to go.  Playing with fire then, who goes can become a problem as you have 8 freshman and sophomores.  Juniors going into there senior years do not leave
unless they finish college early, become grad transfers, then it is simple to run them off.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7333 on: April 24, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-quentin-grimes-bounces-back-at-adidas-gauntlet

Plans to cut his list in late June or July. Would imagine that he takes visits after that. Says he's enjoying the process so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a long recruitment.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7334 on: April 24, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
Basically you have 11 kids right now, Rowsey leaves, that is 10,  Bailey already signed.  That leaves 2 spots, after 3 to 6 more players.  Can only sign 14 tops, then
1 has to go.  Playing with fire then, who goes can become a problem as you have 8 freshman and sophomores.  Juniors going into there senior years do not leave
unless they finish college early, become grad transfers, then it is simple to run them off.

Let's just let it play out.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7335 on: April 24, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-quentin-grimes-bounces-back-at-adidas-gauntlet

Plans to cut his list in late June or July. Would imagine that he takes visits after that. Says he's enjoying the process so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a long recruitment.

Thanks TAMU...that was the article I saw.  Cut his list this summer...not necessarily decide. 

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/1/17
« Reply #7336 on: April 24, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »
If it were to happen, I can't think of a bigger recruiting coup in Marquette history.

Um ... Terrell Schlundt! Hello!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7337 on: April 24, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »
It's really simple..if Morrow, Joey and Grimes all want to come..you make room.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7338 on: April 24, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »

You say this regularly. What if Eke, John, Cain, and Elliott are all legit high major players? What if Froling is the second coming of Henry and Heldt is a reliable 10/7 guy? What if Cheatham bounces back and Anim is as good as Reinhardt described?

Do you axe Bailey before he hits campus? Tell Sam or Howard to take a walk? It's not always as simple as "make room", especially when the staff seems to be getting more legit high major four year players and fewer Erik Williams, Jamal Ferguson, Yous Mbao, and Wally Ellenson types.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #7339 on: April 24, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »

I hope MU has numbers issues.... It means the team has vastly improved!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7340 on: April 24, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »
You say this regularly. What if Eke, John, Cain, and Elliott are all legit high major players? What if Froling is the second coming of Henry and Heldt is a reliable 10/7 guy? What if Cheatham bounces back and Anim is as good as Reinhardt described?

Agreed, but the chances of all of that playing out are, in fact, zero.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #7341 on: April 24, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
These are my thoughts only:
JH  80%
I was not so pleasantly surprised this was not higher.

What's the opposite of the "so you say there is a chance" line?  Maybe simply adding a question mark, "so you say there is a chance?"

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #7342 on: April 24, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »
I was not so pleasantly surprised this was not higher.

What's the opposite of the "so you say there is a chance" line?  Maybe simply adding a question mark, "so you say there is a chance?"
my friend said he talked to Homer and said there is probably a 99% chance Joey hauser comes here

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7343 on: April 24, 2017, 05:09:37 PM »
If it were to happen, I can't think of a bigger recruiting coup in Marquette history. He has offers from every blue blood. His mother is supposedly a huge Kansas fan. Every local power (TAMU, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma etc) is making him a top priority. Would speak volumes about Wojo and Stan's recruiting ability.
We had a lot of guys who were first and second team Street and Smith in our glory days.
Glenn Rivers was thought by many to be the  number one high school player back in the day.  The guy dominated in Chicago.

Sometimes these highly ranked players don't work out as planned . Dwayne Johnson was second team Street and Smith and ended his career at UW Whitewater because he couldn't stay academically eligible.

All that said if we get Grimes it would be fantastic.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7344 on: April 24, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »

Do you axe Bailey before he hits campus? Tell Sam or Howard to take a walk? It's not always as simple as "make room", especially when the staff seems to be getting more legit high major four year players and fewer Erik Williams, Jamal Ferguson, Yous Mbao, and Wally Ellenson types.

I'm willing to bet at least one of the four you stated first will/would be nothing more than a role player, his entire MU career and probably more than 1. Everyone's definition of "high major" player is different. regardless, I'd be willing to also bet large sums of money that NONE of the four listed would be anywhere near as good as Morrow, Joey or Grimes. And you aren't ousting Sam, Harry or Markus(3 of the 4 best players currently), that's ridiculous. I can think of at least two I think you could easily do without, possibly a third, especially if it's to "make room" for two top 25 talents and a kid who Wojo really wants(Morrow). Isn't a coach in the country that wouldn't "make room" for Grimes and Joey if needed.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7345 on: April 24, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »

It may be unlikely but it's not zero.

Im not a fan of oversigning.......if somebody leaves and you have room to take somebody in the spring fine.

To sign more players then you have spots for is to tell the entire team that if nobody wants to leave then we will decide who leaves. How does that help the culture?

How do you sell that to recruits? To their parents? If your son was recruited to play for MU and then a year later he was told " sorry we need your scholarship" my guess is you would be pretty missed off.

Sorry not a fan......

My guess is we won't get all 3 so it will be a moot point.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7346 on: April 24, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »

So your curiosity of a hypothetical comes from another hypothetical coming true to get closure on your original hypothetical's curiosity?

Seems like a lot of work.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7347 on: April 24, 2017, 05:24:14 PM »
It may be unlikely but it's not zero.

Im not a fan of oversigning.......if somebody leaves and you have room to take somebody in the spring fine.

To sign more players then you have spots for is to tell the entire team that if nobody wants to leave then we will decide who leaves. How does that help the culture?

How do you sell that to recruits? To their parents? If your son was recruited to play for MU and then a year later he was told " sorry we need your scholarship" my guess is you would be pretty missed off.

Sorry not a fan......

My guess is we won't get all 3 so it will be a moot point.

Honestly, you know what I'd tell my son?? "Sometimes, there are kids that are more talented than you, and better then you son..that's how it is in all walks of life not just basketball, and if this is the worst thing that happens to you the rest of your life you are doing pretty darn good for yourself". Bottom line, whether we all like it or not..College basketball is a business, and Coaches get paid to/are expected to win. Lest we all forget scholarships are a year to year deal, there are no guarantees it will be all 4 years. Kids know that going in.

If a kid uses a situation like this to his advantage to get better, work harder etc, it will not only help him in his basketball career, but his life in general.

Life isn't fair all the time, it can be a great learning experience for a kid.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:26:27 PM by muguru »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7348 on: April 24, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

Not at all. It may not be likely, but I've heard repeatedly how underrated Cain is. How ready John is to be an instant upgrade on defense. What if Elliott is the next unsung stud that recalls memories of Wade while Eke is a slightly better Ismael Sanogo?

It may not be likely, but it's far from impossible, and writing guys off as expendable before they hit campus is just ridiculous.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7349 on: April 24, 2017, 05:39:10 PM »
Guys, we shouldn't get too excited about Grimes.  He has an offer from Utah St.  Forget Stan's recruiting chops or his mom's allegiance to the Jayhawks.  What 17 year old kid can pass up the opportunity to walk in the past footsteps of THE LEGEND?   QG to Logan.  Done Deal.