[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8457473 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/16
« Reply #4825 on: December 04, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
Agree with Jay Bee on a one year player. We need to keep scholarships open for Joey (or Race) and a PG in 2018.
Agree as well, but decent one year big guys (i.e., grad transfers) are hard to get as the competition gets very stiff.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #4826 on: December 04, 2016, 11:43:42 AM »
You still have room for a high school, prep school or JUCO player and still have 2 left for 2018.

Nwankwo had 15 points and 13 rebounds last night. 

MU may not recruit Shakur Juiston from Hutchinson, but he may be my personal favorite.  Watched Hutchinson online last night and the 6-7 215 forward had 12 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists and at least 2 blocks in maybe 18 minutes.  Haven't seen many guys in my years who are as good a passers as Juiston from the forward position.  He can defend the 2-3-4 positions and is really fun to watch.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4827 on: December 04, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »
This one is a little odd. I'm not sure he'll have 3 years - may only have 1. Minnesota dropped him after the academic issues became apparent. VCU said he got cleared to play right before last season began, but didn't play him and there were indications the NCAA may have shaved a year off his 5-year clock.

Anyway, whether he has 2 or 3 years left... if I had my choice to bring in another big, I'd lean toward a 1 year guy.. I'm hopeful between Theo and Ike, as sophomores they'll be ready to do more.

Matty V and I got a close up look from the baseline in Orlando at a tourney when he was there for Haanif and I was there for both Nwankwo, Haanif and others. Physically, a man. No doubt. Yeesh. Big, strong looking dude. But, very, very raw.

Play at SI this year is promising and maybe he's ready to deliver.. OK to monitor, but it's early December.

Its interesting to note that he's averaging playing less than 50% of the time so far in JUCO.  On the one hand, it makes his numbers more impressive, on the other hand, with those kind of numbers why isn't he playing more unless he's got some real deficits in other areas?

How bad are the academics?  Why didn't he play at VCU?  Why did he transfer out to a JUCO from VCU?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:52:12 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4828 on: December 04, 2016, 11:51:19 AM »
Agree as well, but decent one year big guys (i.e., grad transfers) are hard to get as the competition gets very stiff.

Without a doubt. In this case I'd rather pursue the one year options and miss out while keeping our options for 2018 open than take a 2 or 3 year player that would immediately limit options for that class.

Right now, we have two available (Wally & Sandy) for 2017 and three for 2018 (Duane & Rowsey out, Bailey in). We really need two open in 2018, so I think it'd be a mistake to take more than one multiyear player in 2017. Maybe just this kid, or just Epperson, but gotta leave options for 2018.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #4829 on: December 04, 2016, 11:53:46 AM »
Its interesting to note that he's averaging playing less than 50% of the time so far in JUCO.  On the one hand, it makes his numbers more impressive, on the other hand, with those kind of numbers why isn't he playing more unless he's got some real deficits in other areas?

How bad are the academics?  Why didn't he play at VCU?  Why did he transfer out to a JUCO from VCU?

They play more guys in JUCO and in the early season games, there are blowouts.

As far as VCU and JayZ can add more, I think the NCAA was trying to figure out his years in school in Nigeria and a decision on hi status wasn't rendered until after the season started, so they redshirted him.  Saw one story where he's actually a good student.  Not sure why he left VCU.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:02:07 PM by TedBaxter »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #4830 on: December 04, 2016, 11:56:18 AM »
Without a doubt. In this case I'd rather pursue the one year options and miss out while keeping our options for 2018 open than take a 2 or 3 year player that would immediately limit options for that class.

Right now, we have two available (Wally & Sandy) for 2017 and three for 2018 (Duane & Rowsey out, Bailey in). We really need two open in 2018, so I think it'd be a mistake to take more than one multiyear player in 2017. Maybe just this kid, or just Epperson, but gotta leave options for 2018.

Geez, Brew, don't ya know.  Fill up the roster every year, then just yank scholarships when you recruit over guys.  After all, it's the Louisville way.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4831 on: December 04, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
Ted, do you think MU ever recruits a JUCO again?  The senior transfer route seems to be the Wojo choice du jour.  I agree the three year option seems "safer", but I doubt MU will allow even that.  Same as Duke who had 1 exception maybe (if that, as Felix never attended) to JUCOs over the years.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #4832 on: December 04, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
They play more guys in JUCO and in the early season games, there are blowouts.

That's a good point that I was not aware of.  There are still the academic red flags, though.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4833 on: December 04, 2016, 12:01:47 PM »
Help me out guys.  In my chart I assume that Sandy gets replaced by someone commanding the scholly for four years so it essentially only moved the availability up to '17.  With Bailey replacing DU or Rowsey (next year's Senior class) there's only one left using my math. Or am I incorrect?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #4834 on: December 04, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »
Help me out guys.  In my chart I assume that Sandy gets replaced by someone commanding the scholly for four years so it essentially only moved the availability up to '17.  With Bailey replacing DU or Rowsey (next year's Senior class) there's only one left using my math. Or am I incorrect?

You are, sir.  to have 2 scholarships available for 2018, one must be held from 2017, or Wojo must be ready to drop someone if someone doesn't transfer to bail him out.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:06:39 PM by 4everCrean »

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #4835 on: December 04, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
Ted, do you think MU ever recruits a JUCO again?  The senior transfer route seems to be the Wojo choice du jour.  I agree the three year option seems "safer", but I doubt MU will allow even that.  Same as Duke who had 1 exception maybe (if that, as Felix never attended) to JUCOs over the years.

I think they would go for a kid who was a qualifier like Nwankwo.  Ironically, Felix attended CSI like Nwankwo.

For the old timers, McGuire tried to recruit Tommy Barker out of CSI.  Barker played his freshman year for Musselman at Minnesota before going to Twin Falls and then NC Stare.  Would have replaced Maurice Lucas.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #4836 on: December 04, 2016, 12:12:52 PM »
The scholarship grid has Cheatham, Carter and Heldt as seniors in 2018-19.  Hauser, Howard and Anim would be juniors, Cain, Eke and John would be the sophomores, so there are 9 right now with Bailey making it 10.  3 scholarships left, so if you add one player this spring, you have room for Joey and a guard in 2018.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4837 on: December 04, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »
Never stop recruiting. If we sign a 4 year player in this next class we'll have no problem also being able to get a PG and Joey if need be. These things end up working out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4838 on: December 04, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »

We have two scholarships left for 2017: Fischer, Jajuan, Reinhardt, Cohen out & Wally gone, Eke, John, Cain in.

In 2018 we have three scholarships left: the two aforementioned plus Duane & Rowsey out, Bailey in.

We could add two multi year players now, but that would eliminate the possibility to take (hypothetically) Joey and Ramey in 2018 barring a transfer or other unexpected circumstances. That's why my hope is the staff looks at no more than one multi year player for 2017 (say Epperson or Nwankwo but not both) and a potential graduate transfer (Junior Etou from Tulsa, Jeff Carroll from Oklahoma State). That way the grad leaves and you can still add two in 2018.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4839 on: December 04, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »

Wojo has gone after JUCOs. I don't think any of them were shut down by the administration. I think they just ended up elsewhere. The only one I would have thought was kabashed was Brandon Brown. Wojo kicked the tires on him but he had been previously convicted of armed robbery. Currently averaging 12 points and 4 assists for Loyola Marymount
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4840 on: December 04, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
This one is a little odd. I'm not sure he'll have 3 years - may only have 1. Minnesota dropped him after the academic issues became apparent. VCU said he got cleared to play right before last season began, but didn't play him and there were indications the NCAA may have shaved a year off his 5-year clock.

Anyway, whether he has 2 or 3 years left... if I had my choice to bring in another big, I'd lean toward a 1 year guy.. I'm hopeful between Theo and Ike, as sophomores they'll be ready to do more.

Matty V and I got a close up look from the baseline in Orlando at a tourney when he was there for Haanif and I was there for both Nwankwo, Haanif and others. Physically, a man. No doubt. Yeesh. Big, strong looking dude. But, very, very raw.

Play at SI this year is promising and maybe he's ready to deliver.. OK to monitor, but it's early December.
I saw Nwanko in person many times in high school and with his club. He has a Big East body and would be worth having on roster for depth at the Big positions. That said I believe Theo and Ike are  at a higher level of ability.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4841 on: December 04, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »
Okay, check my math.  At the present moment we have 11 scholarship players on the team as school begins next September.  By definition that means that Wojo can sign two more prior to then for a grand total of 13.  I always assume that each of those signees is a full 4 year kid when analyzing the following year.

AFTER next season only two players exhaust their eligibility: Duane and Rowsey.  Sandy had been in that class until he left and I've assumed Wojo replaces him with another Frosh THIS Spring (now we have two available, not one.)  So an initial three scholarships in '18 became two (Sandy moving classes) and one is already spoken for with Bailey.  That means that based on the calculation we have ONE left at the moment.

Now here's the reality.  I'd be really surprised if Wojo signed two more four year Frosh this Spring.  But I don't want to create scholarship availability based on speculation even though we 'know' that Wojo will want more class balance.  Again boys, feel free to check my math.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4842 on: December 04, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
Okay, check my math.  At the present moment we have 11 scholarship players on the team as school begins next September.  By definition that means that Wojo can sign two more prior to then for a grand total of 13.  I always assume that each of those signees is a full 4 year kid when analyzing the following year.

AFTER next season only two players exhaust their eligibility: Duane and Rowsey.  Sandy had been in that class until he left and I've assumed Wojo replaces him with another Frosh THIS Spring (now we have two available, not one.)  So an initial three scholarships in '18 became two (Sandy moving classes) and one is already spoken for with Bailey.  That means that based on the calculation we have ONE left at the moment.

Now here's the reality.  I'd be really surprised if Wojo signed two more four year Frosh this Spring.  But I don't want to create scholarship availability based on speculation even though we 'know' that Wojo will want more class balance.  Again boys, feel free to check my math.

You are correct.  That is why I think people are pushing for a one year big next year.  First, he will fit a need.  Second, it doesn't tie up a scholarship for more than one year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4843 on: December 04, 2016, 04:39:08 PM »

You are correct.  That is why I think people are pushing for a one year big next year.  First, he will fit a need.  Second, it doesn't tie up a scholarship for more than one year.

Yep.  I'm going to think of that as the 'Sandy slot'.  Can certainly envision a grad transfer, hopefully with some size.  Takes the pressure off Theo/Ike.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4844 on: December 04, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »
I don't want to get ahead of ourselves but the Hauser family has to be smiling up in Stevens Point.  Maybe Joey wants to play with his brother, maybe not.  But nothing has happened that in any way would make choosing MU a 'bad' decision.  On the contrary, he might think that the two of them can really make Marquette great.  I hope he feels we're the right place.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4845 on: December 04, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
I don't want to get ahead of ourselves but the Hauser family has to be smiling up in Stevens Point.  Maybe Joey wants to play with his brother, maybe not.  But nothing has happened that in any way would make choosing MU a 'bad' decision.  On the contrary, he might think that the two of them can really make Marquette great.  I hope he feels we're the right place.

Talked to a UW guy last week who thinks Joey is either going to Marquette or out of state somewhere.  Doesn't think their chances are very good at all.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4846 on: December 04, 2016, 06:10:13 PM »

Talked to a UW guy last week who thinks Joey is either going to Marquette or out of state somewhere.  Doesn't think their chances are very good at all.

At this point I think Virginia is the biggest threat. But I think we are in the lead.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4847 on: December 04, 2016, 06:49:50 PM »
From what I have heard we are in a really good spot with Joey.  My own speculation is:

1) Marquette

2) MSU/Virginia

3) UW/Iowa

4) If the right "blue blood" beyond MSU came calling they could make a play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4848 on: December 05, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »
Eke

Great effort from the entire team tonight. Greg Eboigbodin w 20 pts and 16 reb. Ike Eke with 10 pts, 14 reb. Zach Winston w 11. #CubPride

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4849 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »
Eke

Great effort from the entire team tonight. Greg Eboigbodin w 20 pts and 16 reb. Ike Eke with 10 pts, 14 reb. Zach Winston w 11. #CubPride

double doubleman!