[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8458262 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/16
« Reply #4800 on: November 26, 2016, 09:57:38 AM »
We definitely need him on the squad

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4801 on: November 26, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
Iowa State is keeping a scholarship open for 2036.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4802 on: November 26, 2016, 10:38:38 AM »
Yes, "affiliated."

Right.  It is the athletic program for the high school.  The student athletes GO to that high school.  It isn't simply a basketball factory.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4803 on: November 26, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »
They can be offered but are unable to give a verbal commitment.

They can most certainly pick up one of three hats set in front of them and put it on their heads.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4804 on: November 26, 2016, 10:31:44 PM »
An update on Philip Flory. I know he is no longer on our list. The young man has gone through quite a bit and it looks like he is back in action.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2016/11/25/oshkosh-north-breezes-win-florys-return/94432734/

I hope he can find a spot somewhere.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4805 on: December 03, 2016, 07:53:16 AM »
Wojo and Carrawell

Marquette was at Webster Groves to see 2018 G Courtney Ramey and Whitfield to see 2018 G Torrence Watson today

Glow-

Think you need to add these two to page 1.  Ramey came to Madness, too.  Ramey and Joey Hauser would be big time!

brandx

« Reply #4806 on: December 03, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »

Right.  It is the athletic program for the high school.  The student athletes GO to that high school.  It isn't simply a basketball factory.

So there is a Findlay Prep girls sports team? I don't think you are correct.

Findlay Prep is not part of the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association, and its affiliated high school is not within the Clark County School District even though it is physically located in Clark county. That means Findlay Prep players are not bound by rules regarding academic eligibility requirements.

All of these types of "schools" are basketball factories. Basketball in the ONLY reason for their existence. They often hire family members to get kids to attend their schools. Monitoring their academics is a constant concern for the NCAA.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4807 on: December 03, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
Glow-

Think you need to add these two to page 1.  Ramey came to Madness, too.  Ramey and Joey Hauser would be big time!

I'll add Watson.  I'll hold off on Ramey unless folks get a real sense that we are in the running.  He's got the blue bloods offering and I've stated my desire to avoid 'hope and dream' guys.  Bur if it heats up at all, please chime in.  I especially want to be sensitive to the fact that as of this moment we have only one available slot for the year depending on what Wojo decides this Spring.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:52:44 AM by jsglow »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #4808 on: December 03, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
So there is a Findlay Prep girls sports team? I don't think you are correct.

Findlay Prep is not part of the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association, and its affiliated high school is not within the Clark County School District even though it is physically located in Clark county. That means Findlay Prep players are not bound by rules regarding academic eligibility requirements.

All of these types of "schools" are basketball factories. Basketball in the ONLY reason for their existence. They often hire family members to get kids to attend their schools. Monitoring their academics is a constant concern for the NCAA.

U can use a broad brush all that u would like, that doesnt make them all the same.  Many of these badketball factories do things the right way.  Additionally, being a part of a state athletic association completely defeats the purpose of going to one of these programs.  State athletic associations, define the season length, practice time, when u can practice, games played, amount of travel and many other things. 
Also, given the state of high school academics and the lack of vision of many school districts and the teachers unions, not being a part of a school district is most likely a good thing! 
Nevertheless, you are right many of these schools are set up for bball, howver many of them over the years have proven themselves to be vastly better athletically and academically than what they would be getting and for this reason players and college coaches seek them out.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brandx

« Reply #4809 on: December 03, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
U can use a broad brush all that u would like, that doesnt make them all the same.  Many of these badketball factories do things the right way.  Additionally, being a part of a state athletic association completely defeats the purpose of going to one of these programs.  State athletic associations, define the season length, practice time, when u can practice, games played, amount of travel and many other things. 
Also, given the state of high school academics and the lack of vision of many school districts and the teachers unions, not being a part of a school district is most likely a good thing! 
Nevertheless, you are right many of these schools are set up for bball, howver many of them over the years have proven themselves to be vastly better athletically and academically than what they would be getting and for this reason players and college coaches seek them out.

Not all of them are bad, Sand - in fact, many are beneficial to the students they serve. On the other hand, some have no interest in academics and do the barest minimum in that area. That is why we have seen many players coming out them them ruled ineligible.

I was just arguing that they are, indeed, basketball factories (whether or not they stress academics) and I think what you wrote shows that we agree.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4810 on: December 03, 2016, 11:44:49 AM »
Findlay Prep is not part of the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association

That's not what Findlay says. That's not what the NIAA says.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4811 on: December 03, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
I'll add Watson.  I'll hold off on Ramey unless folks get a real sense that we are in the running.  He's got the blue bloods offering and I've stated my desire to avoid 'hope and dream' guys.  Bur if it heats up at all, please chime in.  I especially want to be sensitive to the fact that as of this moment we have only one available slot for the year depending on what Wojo decides this Spring.

Fair enough.  Ramey is the kind of recruit that, based on past experience, Marquette gets an unofficial visit, makes the cut to 10, and then the final 4-5 are all blue bloods.

Hoping this time is different but your point is valid.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4812 on: December 03, 2016, 12:44:15 PM »
I'll add Watson.  I'll hold off on Ramey unless folks get a real sense that we are in the running.  He's got the blue bloods offering

Hmmmm, missed that. Who are these blue bloods that have offered?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4813 on: December 03, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »
Yep not a lot of "blue bloods" involved according to,this September interview

“The schools that are making the biggest push right now are Louisville, UNLV, Purdue, Marquette, Texas, Ohio State, Arkansas, Iowa State, Florida, Kansas State, Missouri, Illinois, Creighton, and Nebraska,” Ramey told NY2LASPORTS.COM.  Louisville was the latest program to offer Ramey.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #4814 on: December 03, 2016, 05:45:40 PM »
http://athletics.csi.edu/roster.aspx?rp_id=1194&path=mbball

It is my understanding that Nwankwo will have 3 years of D1 eligibility after playing this year at CSI.  Former Minnesota signee and VCU redshirt.  Might be one of the better frontcourt options this spring.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4815 on: December 03, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
Yep not a lot of "blue bloods" involved according to,this September interview

“The schools that are making the biggest push right now are Louisville, UNLV, Purdue, Marquette, Texas, Ohio State, Arkansas, Iowa State, Florida, Kansas State, Missouri, Illinois, Creighton, and Nebraska,” Ramey told NY2LASPORTS.COM.  Louisville was the latest program to offer Ramey.

I based my decision on Louisville mostly.  But that's a looooong list already.  Again, happy to add him if things heat up.

MuMark

• All American

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #4818 on: December 04, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
It is my understanding that Nwankwo will have 3 years of D1 eligibility after playing this year at CSI.  Former Minnesota signee and VCU redshirt.  Might be one of the better frontcourt options this spring.
This is the kind of player that I feel MU simply must have on the roster next year.  We can't rely on only Heldt and a couple of freshman to be the front court for what otherwise should be a pretty good and experienced team.  I know there is this stigma attached to JC players and Wojo want to build for the long term but if we don't get an NCAA bid this year going into next year with a team still rebuilding its front court and therefore on the bubble at best is not going to reflect well on Wojo's trajectory.  Got to be creative and get outside the box a little.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4819 on: December 04, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »

Okay, but what out there says we even have the kid's phone number? Is there any sense that he's expressed interest in moving other than the obvious that he might move up in class because he's good enough to.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #4820 on: December 04, 2016, 09:31:47 AM »
Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN  15h15 hours ago
Nice game for Theo John who had 19 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 3 blocks, excellent all around game making all 8 field goals
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4821 on: December 04, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
Okay, but what out there says we even have the kid's phone number? Is there any sense that he's expressed interest in moving other than the obvious that he might move up in class because he's good enough to.

There doesn't seem to be any indication we are looking at him.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4822 on: December 04, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »

There doesn't seem to be any indication we are looking at him.

True, but JUCO recruitment typically doesn't heat up until the spring. Really too early to tell if anyone is on him
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4823 on: December 04, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »

This one is a little odd. I'm not sure he'll have 3 years - may only have 1. Minnesota dropped him after the academic issues became apparent. VCU said he got cleared to play right before last season began, but didn't play him and there were indications the NCAA may have shaved a year off his 5-year clock.

Anyway, whether he has 2 or 3 years left... if I had my choice to bring in another big, I'd lean toward a 1 year guy.. I'm hopeful between Theo and Ike, as sophomores they'll be ready to do more.

Matty V and I got a close up look from the baseline in Orlando at a tourney when he was there for Haanif and I was there for both Nwankwo, Haanif and others. Physically, a man. No doubt. Yeesh. Big, strong looking dude. But, very, very raw.

Play at SI this year is promising and maybe he's ready to deliver.. OK to monitor, but it's early December.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4824 on: December 04, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »
Agree with Jay Bee on a one year player. We need to keep scholarships open for Joey (or Race) and a PG in 2018.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback